December 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/9/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast (she's filling in for Erica tonight) during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori from IL

Anderson, Randi and Best Bloggers.

Great show tonight. Good to see so many from IL blogging tonight. Wonder what's in store for our great state tomorrow.

Looking forward to Planet in Peril on Thursday night.

December 9, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Good night Anderson, Randi, David Gergen and best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night and Sleep tight!!
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Day of the shot with Anderson Cooper and his mom talked about turkey!!!!! Very cute!!! LOL! Excellent the shot!!! 🙂

December 9, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. LisaL - Canada

didn't know about letterman – that was kind of funny! your mom sounds like a real character!

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Candace from Canada

Good Night Everyone!

🙂

Great Blog tonight!

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

I'm not too into the holidays either.

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, When I heard you tell that Thanksgiving story about your mom it made me sad.

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Tuesday's Shot? Anderson, it's a good thing you showed up on Letterman. He gets pretty petty if you CANCEL..MCCain? Night all

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Barb, Des Plaines

Faith, the Governors of Illinois stay free of charge in a federal facility located in Wisconsin.

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Ken in NC

Great show tonight guys. See you all tomorrow night. Live Long And Prosperous. Anderson you are cool on the talk show circuit.

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Lee

How disappointing what your mother did, Anderson!

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Jennifer - Michigan

That's funny – at least you got the turkey – the food is important.

December 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

Anderson, you cook? I doubt that! Ha!

December 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Kathy, Chicago

AC, the Letterman spot was pretty funny! I'm sorry I missed the Phelps story, but it looked like Dave wants you back!

December 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i can sympathize with your mom about not liking the holidays. at least she sent the turkey. 🙂

December 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Ivory can be beautiful when it's carved and as jewelry but it's surely not worth it when you see those incredible and amazing elephants having to suffer! Hope this PIP report helps influence people not to want to purchase ivory products.

December 9, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  16. LisaL - Canada

All for ivory?

So many of the things that are wrecking the planet and harming it's inhabitants are human-made - pollution, war, poaching, natural resource and land misuse, atrocities against each other.

It is so EASY to hear about something happening on the other side of the globe and say "so sad – but that doesn't impact me". Shows like Planet in Peril remind us that it DOES.

but we are linked, aren't we. and it's new. Global economies and world-wide travel, trade and communications have made the world a very small place.

thankyou. We have to take care of this planet and the things that live on it. Thankyou for staying involved in these issues – and for keeping it raw and honest.

December 9, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I don't usually enjoy your talk show appearances, they seem so scripted, but I loved your visit with Dave!

December 9, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Jacqui Chan

I think ne1 who realizes that an elephant must be slaughtered inorder to retrieve his/her tusks for ivory and still purchases or own ivory should be slaughtered as well!

December 9, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Maureen T

Cheers to Lisa Ling! I'm happy she's done some of the reporting in the PIP2 special!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Robin

Blagovich's actions are liken to a guy getting pulled over for speeding only to find he had a massive bag a drugs in the trunk of his car.

December 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Minou, New York City

I really like Lisa Ling! She's very good, and she has great qualities she brings to the table. Good choice, CNN!

December 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Lori from IL

Anderson,

Saw you on Letterman last night. Lots of laughs. Coming from a large extended family that gets together every holiday and often in between (and yes, we genuninely like each other) I can't imagine being "blown off" by my mother on Thanksgiving. How funny that she still sent a turkey!

Both of my parents are now deceased and I think of them every day - with fond memories. Don't give up on your mom!

December 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Will Drescher

Give Oprah her props!

You said "I hope she gets well" you should have said "I hope she stays well" 🙂

December 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Elizabeth

We all have demons that we have to contend with in this life. Unfortunately for Oprah weight gain is it. Let's not fault her. She is obviously aware there is a problem.

December 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Candace from Canada

OMG!
    That Elephant poaching has to stop!

Keeping people poor, leads them to do whatever necessary to provide for their families.

I fear that the world won't learn until it is too late and these magnificant creatures and many more will be gone.

All for a few dollars.... very sad.

December 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I can’t wait see Planet in Peril!!! Whoooohooo!!!!! LOL!!!
    I am glad Anderson was guest on David Letterman show last night!!! He was so funny guest!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

David – I certainly hope Obama stays clean from all that is going on with the IL Governor. There is so much promise and too many things that really need to be focused on. I certainly hope this does not become a big distraction for the new administration.

December 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Naissa, South Texas

This elephant segment is reminding me of some thrift shop I went to last week. I wanted to buy this really pretty stool, but the top was made of ivory and I was horrified. This is awful. Poor elephants. It must suck to not be able to live your life safely.

December 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The ivory trade is horrendous! Countries need to ban or continue their ban on the importation of ivory.

It is such a waste of these beautiful creatures!

December 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

It's sad that Oprah is worried about weight. Unless she's unhealthy (and I believe hypothyroidism is treatable), then, she shouldn't fall into the I have to be "skinny" crap. But whatever she does or tries to do to lose weight, I'm sure she will inspire others!

December 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  31. nd jones

Gov obviously asked Obama for something , otherwise he wouldnt of stated he only is going to offer appreciation. Why didnt Obama tell authorities Gov was selling his seat to highest bidder? Why did he withdrawl his top choice ,asking for that woman and then give her a cab seat? Did Obama know he was being wiretaped?

December 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Jana, Indiana

What happened to Oprah's personal trainer? If that was anyone else other than Oprah, would you be wishing them luck in loosing weight? I don't think so.

December 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

It's not hard to keep the weight off once it's lost. I tell my mother she needs to change her entire life style to keep the weight off, but ppl always hunger to lose pounds and when they've succeeded they start living they way they used to live. No wonder they gain the weight back.

December 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i think it is great that AC360 is covering Oprah's weight struggles. Obesity in the US is so out of hand and to highlight the struggles with weight control is very important. I'm a petite little thing, but my mom has always struggled, and I saw how hard it was on her, there is no simple solution.

December 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  35. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Oprah Winfrey's personal problems are not a news story. I expect better from 360.

December 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Johnny Las Vegas

I think OJ should be in prison and the guys carrying the guns should be in the cell with him.

December 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  37. Sherrol in Canada

Wish I could draw the world's smallest violin...Oprah, cry me a river, boo hoo. Guess it goes to show that money can't buy everything.

December 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  38. jorge PE

Anderson
    I believe dirty is all the Globe. Com e take a Visions o f my country to know about this, All together.

December 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  39. lynn

JoAnn: I read the transcript and Fitzgerald was extremely clear that Obama was in no way involved. You just don't like PE Obama!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Maureen, Georgia

It is so easy to gain weight and so very hard to lose it, and with a thyroid problem that makes it that much harder, I think Oprah is finally coming to terms with her weight.

December 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If Fitzgerald gets too close to anything suspicious in the Obama administration, Obama will dismiss him.

December 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  42. Renee

Oprah has the financial means to get others to help her. She should engage with people that support her goals and avoid toxic people. Good luck to Oprah!

December 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  43. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Heavy or thin, I think Oprah should be proud of all she's done for others.

December 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  44. Dan Johnson

Another thing to remember about Illinois:
    Chicago is not Springfield, and Springfield is not Chicago.
    There are legendary corruptions in both, but those two governments operate independently.
    To say that Obama is a Chicago pol completely misunderstands this parallel government fact.
    The Mayor and the Governor are often at odds – both wield tremendous power, and they often are forced into some kind of "you scratch mine, I scratch yours" agreement.
    These two political corruptions, Springfield and Chicago, operate in tandem, in different parts of the state, with little connection between the two.

December 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Lori from IL

David Gergen,

I always appreciate your perspective. But, I think you said during the show - why didn't someone turn in Gov. Blago (and yes I can pronounce his name - but locals refer to him as Blago). I believe Patrick Fitzgerald said during his press conf. this morning that someone did turn him in and that's how they got permission for the wire tap... What he was asking for was for more people to come forward with more info to help with the ongoing investigation. It was interesting to hear Fitzgerald explain the whole wire tap permission process - so I don't think Blago will be able to use that as a defense.

While we have often refered to Blago as an idiot, it was interesting to hear you refer to him that way. Thanks for the laugh.

December 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  46. Jennifer - Michigan

I think Oprah looks nice – she's so pretty, she has beautiful facial features.

December 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  47. Dee, NY

I realize that Oprah is a friend to AC360, but why are you doing a serious jouranlistic story on Oprah's weight? I can get that on one of the morning shows, or Entertainment tonight. Wouldn't a story on the War be more in tune with the mission of 360?

Dee, NY

December 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  48. Jonnie

Just like most people are tired of hearing about OJ, I am tired of Oprah. Move on...

December 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Maureen T

It's not easy to lose weight and keep the weight off. Oprah is as human as the next person! I love her anyway! She's powerful no matter what size she is!! Cheers Oprah!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  50. Donna

It's time for the people of IL to clean house and get a new governor. I don't believe that there is a connection between Blagojevich and President-Elect Obama. Why are people so eager to connect dots that might not be there?

December 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |