December 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/9/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast (she's filling in for Erica tonight) during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Ingrid from Northern VA

Oh my gosh, really Anderson, with all going on in the world, we are having a segment on Oprah's weight????
    I am very disappointed in this...what a waste of time tonight when I love this show...

December 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

I'm skinny and always have been. I feel for ppl who have problems in the weight department. I grew up with a yo- yoing mother, and she's still struggling with her weight. It's also pretty awful to be around ppl who eat mindlessly and then hate their mirror image.

December 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Naissa, South Texas

If I were Oprah, I would NOT care about my weight. Yes, I'm sure she wants to be a size 10, again, but she is an inspiration to so many people out there, she excercises, and she works hard.

I'd be happy considering I'd not only changed the lives of so many people, but also because I'd be financially set forever. 🙂

December 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Jacqui Chan

yeah very unfortunately I can relate especially to the negative personal feelings but I do think it is good for people in general that she is speaking openly about this!

December 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, You know that those in power in Chicago politics would not allow anyone to rise to power without owing them something. You don't have to live in Chicago to know that.

December 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Bradley -Canada

Unfortunately it is often said the in the United States of America you get the best Senate and House of Representatives that money can buy.

That reputation is and will not be an easy one to shake.

Shame

December 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  7. EJ (USA)

Oprah will be ok. People who have money have many more opportunities to try new things to lose weight.

December 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Topaz Blair Baker

Anderson: "Do you believe politics elsewhere is this dirty, or is Illinois an anomaly?"

I think politics can be dirty everywhere. Ill. just happens to be tripping over itself to win the award for most embarassing scandal of 2008.

December 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Yvonne in Georgia

Oprah looks better with weight in my opinion.

December 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Brandi!
    I agree with you....... I love his blog comments are so awesome!!!!!! he is best anaylst! 🙂

December 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Candace from Canada

Okay – OJ , Joe the Plumber and Oprahs weight gain.

Was it a slow news day?

December 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i second that, casey! 🙂

i also agree that we shouldnt be discussing OJ anymore. its done, finally some justice for his victims, no matter how long it took or how inadequate it is.

December 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Seems like OJ is caught between the criminal court aquittal and civil court decree. There is a problem with that, I think.

December 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Rich, MA

Thank you for the post Mr. Gergen and for your service to our country......You are right the governor is an "idiot" but we still have to have our laws upheld...for now he's innocent until proven guilty........It's unfortunate though because this puts a pothole in the smooth transition of power to the new Obama Presidency which is desperately need right now for our country.

December 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

I love Oprah's honesty with herself! Unlike Tyra Banks who blamed her looking huge on bad photography.

December 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

lynn, From what I understand Fitzgerald has not ruled out other complaints and that he has not exonerated anyone from future investigation.

December 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Kevin From San Diego

I feel really sorry for Obama and the governor of IL should resign right away. What a stupid guy...

December 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Becky

Ohh Dave, you gotta have faith!

December 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Maureen, Georgia

I don't like OJ I think he was guilty of the murders, but I agree with Roland, this is a way of getting back @ OJ.

December 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Renee

@ Dave: Thank you! I am not brainwashed!

December 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Jonnie

If OJ is out of isolation he would probably get whacked by a gang member in prison making a name for himself

December 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Yvonne in Georgia

If OJ's deceased wife were black would he even be in the news?

December 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Jim Johnson

Obama?? Did I hear his name connected here? Let's look at the facts – Obama came up through the ranks in IL politics. It is a well known fact here in IL that politics are dirty and to get anywhere in the system one must work with, not around, the established machine. It is impossible to work up through it without being part of it. Do we need to see a pile of horse manure to know a horse had been present?

December 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  24. ChicagoBob

Obama might be saying,"I am not a crook." if Blago rolls over on him.

December 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  25. lynn

I believe the Illinois Gov who is presently in jail is a Republican, ...so corruption in this state and in the whole country is on both sides of the aisle. However, there are far more members of gov't who are not under indictment.

I am very unimpressed along with other blogs with your graphics of showing Obama with the "seat for sale" caption. Shame on you Anderson and your crew.

December 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with the others. OJ has had enough air time. Enough for a lifetime.

December 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Bea

If it was thought that OJ had killed a woman thought to be ugly we wouldn't be having this discussion so many years later.

December 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Clyde in NC

Toobin has had a busy week! Plaxico earlier. Is Obama a natural born citizen. OJ all through the week. I agree w/ Roland- let's stop talking about OJ. Nobody cares. Move on....

December 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I am tired of OJ watching old news...... please no more OJ piece......

December 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Candace from Canada

OJ Simpson – can't we just throw away the key now that he is in Jail?

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Larry

Geez. OJ is an easy target, no fun in that. Let's go after Charlie Rangel.

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  32. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

"Obama endorsed Blago for re-election even while the governor was under federal investigation."

Thank you for the Sarah Palin rhetoric. If we're going to play the guilt by association game, then every person on this blog is guilty of something!

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Maureen T

The jurors were all white Anderson, what do yo think?

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Vanessa, Silver Spring Maryland

So the guy with the gun in the OJ case gets off, but OJ goes to Jail. What! I'm no fan of OJ, but seriously come on!

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Diana

I grew up and Illinois and as a student worker in college, I was required to take an annual ethics test as a state employee. It is very ironic now, considering I had to pass an ethics test which included questions about using the office copier for personal copies when my governor was extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars. Was the governor taking the same test? Go figure.

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  36. MaryBeth

David Gergen: I would assume that Blagojevich would have asked Obama who he wanted to replace him, but it wouldn't have gone farther than that. Blagojevich has been always out for himself, so it wouldn't have mattered what Obama said. Blagojevich would have wanted something from Obama for acting on those suggestions, and we know Obama does NOT play that way.

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Dave

For all of you non-Illinois affiliated folks...can you not get the hint from the blog? Illinois politics is corrupt ABSOLUTLEY. How can a state produce a clean President when its politics are a sewer. Wake-up all you Obama cult fanantics. He is a politician from Illinois...he is tainted.

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Ingrid from Northern VA

The sad fact is that I feel these kind of actions go on much more than we realize and on a lesser level with lobbyists....money equals time/consideration...
    That's why I really pray that Obama can start weeding this out of the process..
    I find it amazing that they have been investigating this guy since 2003!

December 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Vig

This governor clearly felt the vacated Obama senate seat had a price tag, in small part because of the celebrity of Obama. It remains to be seen if this crud known as Illinois and Chicago politics has left any trace evidence on Mr. Change. In the meantime, it is laughable to hear all the Obama apologists already polishing his armor.

December 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Don, WA

Looks like this will be a long 9 yards for the juice.

December 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Renee

Go Roland! I don't care about OJ either! Amen, we finally agree on something.

December 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, there is some corruption everywhere, but Chicago is much worse than the norm. As for my opinion of Obama, I thought he was a typical Chicago politician before, and think so now.

December 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Brandi - bottom of the boot

alex, kinda harsh, huh?

Mr. Gergen, you always post to us on the blog, you seem like such a sweetheart! Thank you for remembering us and appreciating our comments. We love you and all of your wisdom. 🙂

December 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  44. mazen atieh

Could the arrest of the Illinois govermor be politically motivated.What better way to unlock a democratic seat iin the senate and possibly have early election than to indict the democratic governor.We has several cases sensationalized by Fitzgerald ,especially in the area of on terror to be defeated in the courts. To hear you guys, Blaojavich is already convicted

December 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Dan Johnson

Per Gov Blago, you guys should consider the choice we had when he was elected in the first place.
    There had been decades – literally decades of Republicans turning Springfield into a cash machine, with several in the clink. This corruption spread from the Governors office all the way through the entire political structure.
    When Blago ran, the Republicans put up a talentless, vacant, party hack – so it's not hard to understand how the voters of Illinois decided to try the Democrat and cross our collective fingers for better luck.

Well, same old same old same old all over again.....

December 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Maureen T

Anderson,
    Of course O.J. is being held to a different standard!

December 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I wonder what Rahm Emanuel has to say about the Chicago corruption? Didn't he precede Blagojevich in the House of Representatives? Plus, he's also from Chicago.

December 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Sherrol in Canada

Who cares about OJ and how he'll be treated in prison. He got his just rewards.

December 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  49. charl

Sdo what is the procedure for filling an open Senate seat if the govenor
    for whatever reason can't? There must already be a second in command that would make the appointment. Having an election doesn't seem legally correct. there must be a procedure in place. Who would appoint in case of illness or death of thegovenor.

December 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Stacy

I second Fay's plea of an OJ ban. You can play "Single Ladies" again if you want, but good God, stop with OJ!

December 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |