December 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/9/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast (she's filling in for Erica tonight) during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Neal Barkett

Maybe the time has come to pass a new law. The name of this new law should be called "DOMESTIC TREASON". The name carries a severe, heavy tone and for good reason. When you run for office its a sacred trust that you swear to when administered the oath of office. It should carry mandatory penalties depending on the severity of the crime that could range up to life in prison. The harm that this Govenor will do to the trust of not only the people of Illinois but across America can not even be calculated. These penalties under this type of law should be so severe that it would cause self serving people to look for another path in life.

December 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Rich, MA

Haaaa.....Joe the Plumber felt dirty.........he didn't feel too "dirty" though when he wasn't paying his taxes though........Poor Joe.

December 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Margie from CA

Yes, I was thinking about what David Gergen brought up...I know Pres. Elect. Obama is honorable and a person of integrity, however, it does open the door to wonder why these questionable people have revolved around the periphery of this man – "The Secret" about the Laws of Attraction comes to my mind...

December 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  4. California Scott

Jonnie, I disagree with you – they are not ALL crooks, not even most. I think (all hail) David Gergen had it right. Most people in public service are more honest now than in the past. I've been involved in politics in my community and know many local office holders, and even the ones I disagree with are honest... but the bad apples make the news.

-= Scott =-

December 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Larry

Was the Gov. not at the meeting Obama had with all the state governors? Did they talk to each other?

December 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  6. CAROLYN JONES

if the glodman's went to this lenght to get him do you think they will have him killed in prison. people heal with time they didnt they seem to have vengance in their hearts.

December 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  7. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Good to see you joining in the conversation tonight and what a night it has been. Just when you think that you have seen everything in politics, something new pops up that takes your breath away. And so it was with the idiot who is governor of Illinois.

Kim in Chicago raised the question of whether the quotes from the governor that the feds have released - if true - are enough to convict him. My impression is that they are. As Jeffrey Toobin pointed out (isn't it good to have him on the show?), the federal prosecutor there will now ask a grand jury for a formal indictment, and then we are likely to see these two criminal "complaints" turn into a series of multiple charges. From there, a trial is likely. We'll have to see but this idiot could go to jail for a long rest.

How should this affect our views on Barack Obama, if at all? My sense is that the story will begin moving in that direction pretty soon, especially if there are a series of media stories tieing the Obama team to the governor in some ways. Personally, based on what we know so far, I see no reason for this to diminish people's opinions of the President Elect but we will have to see how this plays out.

Best to everyone.

December 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Randi – Jeff Toobin was funny on the webcast – he's so well versed as well.

December 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  9. mary

david gergen tonight "people shouldn't lose faith in their politicians as they're better than those of the past, but the pork is still here".

corruption is everywhere. where i come from politicians get to kill civilians and justify that because they're the big boss, and no one can tell them they're wrong.

i'm not surprised by todays news. the governor kinda reminds me of oj. same kind of delusional people.

December 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Jacqui Chan

nothing but nice things 2 say about SP what's his agenda 4 a second I thought it was cool that he was speaking out because Thought he was referencing bow McCain played dirty in the end
    whatever Joe the Plumber is no more honorable than a dirty politician

December 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Yvonne in Georgia

I can't believe Joe the Plumber said he felt dirty on the campaign trail. What's more dirty than a toilet?

December 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Alex Mostashari

Anderson

I am so SURPRISED. You would ask us to see if our opinion is changed against President elect Obama, becuase the Ill Governor was arrested!!

Are you kidding.
    It is just like the CNN ask us if Campbell was arrested, should our opinion change about you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you get it??

I thought your program was smarter than that sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I hope he will remove his power of Governor, when he was arrested...... I hope he will go to jail.......

December 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

What a mess. I'd like to say I am surprised but nothing surpises me these days. Well at least he won't be able to pick Obama's replacement in the Senate. That is a good thing.

December 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  15. David

Remember folks, no one is above the law...

December 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Fay, CA

Please Anderson, I'm begging you, no more OJ!

December 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Bea

Politics invites narcisistic types and jerks because some really good people don't want to put up with the crap the public can put you through.

December 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Maureen T

Anderson,
    dirty politics are everywhere...some politicians are better at not getting caught!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Melinda

Mike that's what I want to know. Maybe that's why he is still in power. How does this happen with all of the media coverage we have now? Maybe it's time to get back to the hard core media coverage, like with Mr. Murrow.

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Antonio Carvalho

Anderson – Is it really that big of a story that a politician is arrested for corruption? If we arrested all politicians that are corrupt the government would cease to exist. It doesn't matter if you are republican or democrat, they are all corrupt.

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Rhoda Vincent

Please no more coverage of OJ Simpson. He is being given to much air time and there is lots more important news to cover.

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Sherrol in Canada

Joe the plumber is a turncoat.......LOL

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Gary Houston, TX

No more Joe the Plumber; he's not even a plumber; I lost a lot of my 401K the past 3 months, and this joker is going to make a fortune for no reason at all!
    Please no more Joe the Plumber!!!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I wonder why Blagojevich's wife wasn't arrested. Seems like she has some involvement, especially since her husband was trying to help her get money or get positions. Feel sorry for their kids!

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Randall

This type of corruption is why former governer Ventura moved to Mexico... Atleast there, the people know who is corrupt.

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Hal

I'll give you five bucks for the Senate seat.... any takers?

December 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama endorsed Blago for re-election even while the governor was under federal investigation.

December 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Logan olathe, Ks

Why wont everyone just let Obama be. It's funny how everyone wants to tie Obama to these people, but no one will do the same to Palin and the Alaskain Senator. Hmmmm...Are we still sour about the election?

December 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Jacqui Chan

Maureen personally I would rather hear about Joe the Plumber that OJ; I can't even stand to hear him talk... he makes me sick

December 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Michelle

Typical Chicago thugs. Corrupt , Corrupt, Corrupt. This is the whole problem with government today. And if you think the bucks stops in Illinois , your wrong. They don't look out for the best interest of the citizens, they look out for the best interest of there bank accounts. It makes me sick. Its like a merry go round , same people over and over and over and over and over. Clean Up government. Only one word for Blagojevich is INSANE.

December 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  31. ChicagoBob

Blagoievich is just some guy in the neighborhood that Obama saw from time to time. Lets forget that he campaigned for him..

December 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Anderson, let's just put it this way. Politics and power go hand and hand. I'm sure some are honest, but the kind of power they get, turns their honesty meter to low power more often than we'd all like.

December 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Ashley, Missouri

Please Anderson, I'm begging you, no more Joe the Plumber!

December 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Anderson,

of course illinois is no anomaly, this happens everywhere, especially here in louisiana, although, i do like our current governor, Bobby Jindal, he seems to be a great man so far.

December 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Kevin G

The gov is disgraceful but I wish all media would get it right. Saying three governors have gone to jail is true but not accurate. Dan Walker went to jail after his governorship and it had nothing to do with his office. So only 2 went to jail. And remember, its not an Illinois thing, but a Chicago thing. The rest of IL wishes out state ended at at I-80.

December 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Jim Johnson

Anderson, in answer to your question, politics are dirty in IL. I believe the only dirtier state in LA. I travel a lot and am familiar with both places and can only shake my head at what I see politicians get away with.

December 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Harlin Smith

Politics as normal in Illinois ?
    Obama says he knows how to play politics ?
    No contact with Governor by Obama or his staff ?
    All the above can be seen that something is
    wrong !
    If corruption is coming out of Chicago today, then
    it is possible that corruption came out of Chicago
    before the Presidential election !!
    Illinois Senate seat for sale today.....was it
    actually for sale some time ago when a little-known
    Obama came to be well known, then ?
    Yes, something is wrong somewhere and the
    US Government investigations are on the right trail (single)
    maybe trails (plural) !!....it will all come out in the wash, (or Washington), you wait and see.
    Thank You.

December 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Do you believe politics elsewhere is this dirty, or is Illinois an anomaly?
    Yes! it is so dirty trick politics to sell the seat........... I hope he will never sell the sell senate again......

39. Sarah Chicago, IL

Really, CNN? More Joe the Plumber news? Seems his fifteen minutes will never end.

40. Sherrol in Canada

OMG, Joe the plumber.........he's bbbaaaaaacccckkkkkk! Just when I thought we could get a little normalcy.

41. MaryBeth

I think Jarrett pulled out because Blagojevich wanted something in return, and Obama and his ppl don't play that way. Blagojevich wanted something in return for appointing her to Obama's seat. After she found out, she pulled back.

42. Minou, New York City

Anderson:
    as I mentioned earlier, I think ppl are just paying closer attention to Illinois cuz of the corruption history. There's a lot of abuse of power and corruption happening in many levels of gov throughout the country, i'm sure.

43. Imani from Maryland

Elizabeth Hart
    -The stories, like tonight's on Oprah, are a way to break up the monotony of the everday news.

44. Renee

Palin, Joe the Plumber, McCain, the Governor the drama continues. It seems it is time for Trump and Rosie to have another situation.

45. Jessica, OH

Anderson, it's not a slow news day! Why do we have to hear about Oprah, Palin, and Joe the Not Plumber? This is way too trying. I'm going to do the unthinkable: turn off the TV and read a friggen book.

46. Maureen, Georgia

Say it ain't so Joe, NO MORE JOE THE PLUMBER PLEEEASE.

47. Mike, Syracuse NY

Why is it that none of the people asked for bribes went public?

48. Jacqui Chan

seriously an imbalance no! – just completely selfish I have full empathy for ne1 suffering with mental illness but there is no excuse 4 his action

49. David

I know that I'm a democrat but this really turns me off with a crooks in chicago trying to sell Obama's senate seat. It's time to clean politics up but not this way. Obama needs to come clean now and be honest.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Stacy

Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber? Let's not and say we did.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |