December 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/9/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast (she's filling in for Erica tonight) during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. kim-chicago

Enough Chicago bashing...the best city in the world. No one will deny it has a pretty colorful political history, but so do a lot of other cities.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Randall

This is nothing new... This type of corruption has been going on for years all over the country. Just look at the Bush administration.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Yvonne in Georgia

A uniter usually knows alot of people, both the good and the bad. Everybody in Chicago is associated with their Governor. Obama's associations have absolutely no reflection on him otherwise we'd all be guilty of our association with Dick Cheney.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Earl A. Stacy

This scandal is directly related to the Governor of Illinois. Once again, it sounds like there are people in this country who are trying to link President Elect, Barak Obama, with scandal. This attempt to discredit President Elect Barak Obama by linking his name with the Governor of Illinois is disgraceful. It is not Barak Obama's senate seat. It is the State Seat, not Barak Obama's seat. The Governor is the only one responsible in this matter. Linking his alleged criminal activities to President Elect Barak Obama is racist on the part of the media.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  5. lynn

JoAnn: If Fitzgerald said he isn't "impilicated" than he exonerated him!!

I really appreciate reading the comments from the bloggers from Illinois because they obviously have a better understanding than anyone else as to the difference between the Gov and PE Obama.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Cathy

Oh, it's everywhere, Anderson. Some are just better at hiding it than others.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Kevin G

The gov is disgraceful but I wish all media would get it right. Saying three governors have gone to jail is true but not accurate. Dan Walker went to jail after his governorship and it had nothing to do with his office. So only 2 went to jail. And remember, its not an Illinois thing, but a Chicago thing. The rest of IL wishes out state ended at at I-80.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Jennifer - Michigan

I don't know...I'm wondering if there's more coruption than we think there is.

December 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Madeleine

Many Americans have hope in Obama’s ability to lead America out of this maze of troubled economic times. Now is not the time for conjecture journalism. Unless you have clear undeniable evidence of Obama or his team doing anything illegal or unethical leave Obama alone.

December 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Faith

I wonder if the Illinois State Pen has a special cell block for governors! Will Blagojevich be convicted for phone calls or do they have to catch him with cash in hand?

It must be fate – today is the U.N.'s international day of anti-corruption!

December 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Topaz Blair Baker

I believe that those who disliked President-elect Obama will leap on this scandal and try to paint a negative picture no matter how big of a stretch it is. In fact I am already witnessing evidence of this on your site from others comments.

My answer is: No, this does not change my opinion of President-elect Obama at all. I feel that he is the man I elected, and I am proud I voted for him.

I do not blame President-elect Obama distancing himself from this issue. He already has enough right wing pundits after him with ridiculous allegations. (IE: His Birth Certificate).

December 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Max, Dallas, TX

Obama hasn't been connected to this at all, so it doesn't negatively impact how I see him. I'm actually more pleased- sure, they're politicians from the same state. One succumbed to poor politics, and the other is our impeccable, classy president-elect!

December 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  13. MaryBeth

Wow, we got lots of IL ppl here tonight; from Chicago to Bloomington to the great small town of Abingdon, where my dad is from.

December 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Sherrol in Canada

I wonder if Valerie Jarrett said anything to the Feds, after all she pulled out of the Senate race after someone in the Obama camp spoke with Blago.

December 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Maureen T

There must be something in the Illinois water!

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Rob V

I'm from Chicago. And I'm thoroughly disgusted by what's happened with our Governor. This morning I thought this guy was borderline insane.
    Now I'm convinced he's just crazy.
    Or perhaps this is just an over-the-top reality show script that's gotten out of hand?

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  17. anderson cooper

Good evening everyone... Do you believe politics elsewhere is this dirty, or is Illinois an anomaly?

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Jim Johnson

I am not at all surprised at todays arrest. This is typical poltics in IL and has been since the Capone days and the Daley Machine. But, if this is treated as was Ryans case, convicted of 37 crimes and getting 18 months in jail, then we send a sound message to the political community that it is okay to be dirty as all you get is your hands slapped. If we want a GOOD message sent to IL politicians then when the Governor is convicted, and I am sure he will be, then give him at least 10 years for each offence not to be served concurrently!

Our people of the state of IL are greatly distressed at the Governor breaking our trust. His actions amount to assault on every citizen of the state. He deserves the maximum penalty. Also, he should be placed on administrative leave until cleared. We the people cannot trust his actions and decisions should he be allowed back in the Capital Office

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Donna H

It seems it's about time that we elect someone from down state Illinois for a change. He has made a mess of Illinois.

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Jacqui Chan

just when U thought he couldn't be more corrupt- he wanted his wife to be a lobbyist

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Joyce, Florida

This latest corruption of public officials is absolutely appauling especially with the democrats. It appears the politicians today do not understand "public service". It all comes down to what is going in their pocket. This my friends will touch Obama, you will come to finally understand how such an unknown man raised $600Mil...well now you know. The governor should be fully investigated outside of any political influence and prosecute those involved in such untrusting acts. I am sure Resko, tipped the dime which is why I am convinced Obama worked the same way in Chicago. Pay, Pay, Pay..buy your way in and that is just what he did...Enough now with everything, the bailouts, loans etc. We have been beaten up enough and will come to impeaching a President before he ever gets in the office. Interesting events.

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Jake

Is Ill. too corrupt to be able to have an honest trial and actually put this Governor in Jail? I doubt it. Hey Ill, WAKE UP... that state needs a dose of honesty.

December 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Jonathan Usher

At least its clear Obama is not involved. The Governer's contempt for Obama because they would only show "appreciation" indicates that the Obama administration did not know his intentions. I believe there was communication, but they did not know the Governor's intentions. It is very easy for the Governor to keep the reasons for his pick private. The only person who stood to benefit from the pick was himself.

December 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Dee f rom Canada

What's with political officials of all levels? Obama has his work cut out for him – in a way he is too good for politics! And will this affect him? Well did the resignation of the governor from New York affect or reflect on Hillary Clinton? We've always heard that politics is a dirty business and unfortunately there are many who want to prove this true.

December 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Becky

I like to think Barack has risen above all the Chicago-Gangster Corruption. And I like to think enough of us believe, therefore we can, all follow this man and rise above on a National Level.

*Mr Gergen-thanks for the shout out to our policy makers who are doing the right thing. They need recognition too.

December 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Bea

I don't think people just change. If it's true, this guy has been corrupt all his life.

December 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Belinda

Considering that this man was cursing Obama, I do not see how/why people will try to tar him with this. The Gov. did not campaign for Obama, in fact if was not even around the night Obama won the election. Obama is tarnish because yet again he lives/works in Chicago. I guess I'm an idiot since I'm currently in Bush's home state.

I'm one to wait and see if they worked together. As of now, the prosecutor made it a point to say the the Obama campaign had nothing to do with this. Don't you think the if they did, they would be itching to let us know.

December 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Steve - Lexington, Illinois

Obama's cronies in deep trouble. Blago arrested, Emil Jones abruptly leaves office 2 weeks ago as Senate President in Illinois, corrupt contractor Rezko is in jail, The Chicago Machine(ie Daley family), and our boy Obama ran right in the middle of this crowd just 2 short years ago – while Gov Blago was under investigation.

Why did Jones leave so quick as he was the Gov's most best allie?

People associate together with folks like themselves – birds of a feather so to speak.

I wonder if Obama gets indicted, after resigning Senate seat, before being sworn in as Pres. – no privileges or immunities?

December 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  29. jj

i'm from illnois, and i am ashamed and embarsed (sorry about my spelling). and i hope that because of our stupid governor, it will not effect the peoples trust t the president-elect, who is from illinois

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Stacy

It's weird to see Patrick Fitzgerald back in the news.

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. txdem

These corrupt politicians are making me lose HOPE and respect for the Democratic party. Hope they get rid of Charles Rangel and Harry Reid. I am fed up with this pretending that nothing corrupt is happening when these Congressional leaders are supposed to be leading from moral high ground. I guess it is all relative. Even corruption. That is until corrupt get caught. But Jefferson of Lousiana get caught with $90k in the refrigerator and still denies corruption. Can somebody speak up against these people?

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Ian B

every public official should be automatically taped for review every word spoken in office in or out. Then only people we want in office would be there cause if the public would vote based on what they hear.

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Dave

I was involved in Illinois Democrat politics. Obama's mentor, Senate President Emil Jones, controlled the money going to Senate candidates. I was at a posh fundraiser and Senators were walking out with $65,0000 and above promissory notes ffrom Jones in return for loyalty. Obama was there, Emanuel was there, Blago was there. it is interesting that Attorney General Lisa Madigan wants to go after Blago...her father is Speaker of Illinois House and a political enemy of Blago. Follow the money CNN...follow the money. Mr. Change is as corrupt as they come. Enough for me to quit politics.

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

Anderson, David, Jeff Roland.

Great discussion tonight. Just sorry that it's my state's gov.

Communication between the offices of the gov and PE Obama, doesn't mean Obama talked to Blago.

I love that Blago's lawyer saying he's not guilty of anything. Patrick Fitzgerald would not have gone to his house at 6:00a.m. this morning if he didn't think the charges would stick. Fitzgerald has an awesome record and reputation.

And David, yes, I agree with you that not all public officials are crooks. It's quite the reflection on Blago that even his fellow IL Dems. couldn't get along with him/didn't like him.

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Randee, San Francisco

People can think what they want about Obama, bottom line he is our President! This should not involve him at all and has nothing to do with how he will lead our Country which is with excellence.

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Ken in NC

Well Anderson, we now have another crooked politician. That is the down side Anderson. We now need something positive, so when are you going to dance.

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Very funny Anderson!!!! F-him..... LOL!!! ohhh you are so saying bad sound!!!!! 😉

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Darrell

Why did no one try and link spitzer with george bush? I'm pretty sure they have meet beforem

December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  39. cliffhammond

By the way, Reid, representing the Democratic leadership in the Senate, stated today that they will not seat any appointment by Blagojevich. That forces the special election.

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  40. CAROLYN JONES

david anyone that uses rezco is crazy, had obama did anything wrong he would have saved himself. he stayed in il. because he was in love with michelle he is hawiian im praying that president elect obama will be the greatest and beloved pres of all times.

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Fred Kopp

Is it illegal to be solicited for a bribe by the governor, refuse to pay it, and then fail to report the incident to a higher authority? If that isn't illegal, it should be.

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  42. MaryBeth

We all knew something was going to happen, we just didn't know when. Everyone I know said that Blagojevich is *this* close to being out. He'd have been out by now if we had a repeal process, like Cali.

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

Does seem like this is was a culture of corruption around the governor.

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jo Ann, I agree. It's not possible that an untainted politician could rise from the culture of corruption in Chicago.

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  45. David

Blagojevich has been a disgrace to Illinois for many years now and didn't vote for him. I can't stand his 'screw you' mentality.

People forget that Obama bucked the system here in Illinois. He wasn't the machine's choice when he was in the Democratic Primary for US Senate and he upset many when he ran against Bobby Rush for Congress. Many in power here have a cool reception to him since he doesn't play their games and isn't one of "the boys".

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  46. David

This makes me wonder what change r we getting? Chicago Politics or just same ol same ol?

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  47. LisaL - Canada

i can see why there is broken trust.

the issue with the newspaper – trying to get people fired – surprised me the most. yes, what an idiot.

December 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Sarah Chicago, IL

Everyone is right in stating Blagojevich is an unpopular governor. Even in liberal counties, signs containing the name "Blagojevich" with profanities linked are not uncommon.

December 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Ian B

Every public ally help office where tax payers are paying their salaries, should be subject to wire taps. It should be part of taking public office. we have a right to know how our dollars are spent. It would uncover such wide spread corruption in American politics and maybe fix it!

December 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  50. carol from Suttons Bay, MI

Your replay of John McCain's campaign ads in relation to the Blagojevich story is uncalled for. I believe you would like nothing better than to somehow connect President-elect Obama or someone from his campaign with Blagojevich and his disgraceful conduct. I believe your reporting can be insightful without being prejudicial towards a particular outcome.

December 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |