December 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/9/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast (she's filling in for Erica tonight) during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Renee

Mafia Don! Toobin your killing me. Holding money from the children's hospital. What a creep!

December 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Dulcie - Denver

Ha! Anderson! Love the Hunter S. Thompson quote. Brilliant. Weird indeed.

3. Bea

Maybe politicians just reflect America, huh? Maybe the whole country has lost it's sense of integrity and honesty. Go to religious services one day, cheat on your taxes the next! Laugh at the folks in the rural red areas and heartland who still believe in a nation of laws.

4. Topaz Blair Baker

I am sure that many right wing pundits will be howling for blood based on the Ill. Govenor saying that "President-elect Obama's people wouldn't offer him anything but appreciation" while angling to fill Obama's seat.

To me it sounds like he was disappointed that he *couldn't* shake President-elect Obama's people down for *ORE* than mere appreciation.

I'm a little embarassed to be Chicago born right now, but still darn proud to be born there thanks to President-elect Obama.

5. Troy

If the Governor was a Republican I would bet a paycheck that the media would start every sentence with "Republican Governor Blagojevich" but all I hear is Governor Blagoievich... please – call him what he is – a corrupt Democrat.

6. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@ Cathy: you are right, for once its not happening in louisiana. lol

7. ashley hubbard

I think that this is a scam. Who would really attempt to sell a position in the senate? I believe that this is a low blow trying to bring trouble to the Obama Administration. I believe that as we go into this new beginning in our government that people are just trying to do whatever they can to defame the new administration. But I believe that Obama is a man of integriy and moral. I know that he wouldnt have engaged himself in anything that would put his position or character in question.

8. Kate

I know the 'hood in which Blagovich lives. In fact, the first time I drove by his house, I thought it was a drug stakeout because of the state police car. I thought they were a little too obvious. I, then, figured it out. In fact, my dog has pooped in his yard. (I did pick it up.)

Anyhoo, the neighborhood is very close-knit and at least 1 state police car is always parked outside. I don't doubt that it was bugged...but man! How did they do it without notice?

As a democrat, I haven't voted for him since 2002. I didn't even vote for him in the primary for that year.

9. Vicki

This is the same man who threatened action against Bank of America yesterday. Even though he's been under investigation for quite a while, the timing of his arrest is certainly suspect. If these allegations are true he's a sick man.

10. Mike, Syracuse NY

The Obama transition team said just a week ago that Obama had spoken with Blogo. Now he's never talked? What gives with that?

11. Jonnie

Whether its a democrat or republican there are scandals on both sides. They are all crooks. That's why they're called politicians. They all have their hands out. They either want power, money, or sex. And that includes Obama.

12. Rich, MA

Innocent until proven guilty.

13. Matthew Kerns

Rod is a crook, he always has been and always will be. As an Illinois resident I can tell you that the folks around my water cooler today were not surprised at his attempt to turn Barack's victory into cash for himself. Hopefully he and George can share a cell.

14. cliffhammond

Fitzpatrick certainly didn't show this much zeal in his treatment of Rove, Cheney and Bush during the Plame affair. There's more going on here than is revealed. Don't forget, there is a fight going on for that Senate seat and the Republicans are fighting for their lives in the Senate.

I hope we're not facing another "vast right-wing conspiracy" over the next four years.

15. Yvonne in Georgia

This is not the first dumb Governor we've seen.

16. Minou, New York City

I wonder if ppl just keep a closer eye on Chicago because of the corruption history. it's somehow not believable that this shouldn't occur in several states (on many gov levels).

17. Matthew Vondrasek

The Government of the state of Illinois has been corrupt for a long time. The people of America will finally see Illinois politicians for what they are and these people will be served justice.

18. Stephen

This does not affect my respect for Obama, why should it? After all, he has not done anything illegal or wrong. As Anderson said, it would be unusual for Obama to have not, in some way, through aides even, to have contacted the person running Illinois. Curiously, did Tony Rezko (who was cooperating with the investigation of influence-peddling in Illinois) help in the arrest?

19. Maureen, Georgia

I believe Barack Obama when he says he did'nt have contact with him.
    I imagine he wants to stay as far from this as he possibly can and say as little as possible. Blagojevich did'nt like Obama because he wasn't doing what he wanted. I agree with Obama to try and stay as far as possible from this situation.

20. txdem

I wonder who turned in this guy? Did the Chicago Trib turn in this guy? That would be interesting.

21. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

David Gergen referring to Blagojevich as "the idiot"....priceless!

22. Renee

Once again Gergen reads my mind. Why did anyone else not turn this guy in? Then again I wonder who tipped off the feds.

23. Darrell

Is this how its going to be? Everytime someone gets in trouble that knows Obama we involve him.

24. Becky

CNN,
    I like what your reporter said. Something like aides may of have some contact between Blagojevich and Obama, Governor and Senetor...President Elect. Would have been cut off at the roots. Barack doesn't play that way!

25. sandra

I am from IL and Blogojevich is not well liked he does everything for a reason. Mayor Daley and the like are all involved in some level of wrong doing.

26. Stacey from IL

This has been an ongoing thing finally we got Blagojevich! Now maybe this state can get back on track. This won't hurt Obama, we've known a long time about Rod-gate. Makes watergate look like a speeding ticket.

27. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David Gergen: Thanks for the laugh. Couldn't have said it any better, instead of saying "Blagojevich", yes, "idiot" is much easier to say!

28. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson. Another corrupt politician? Say it isn't so!

29. Daph D.

Hey politics is a corrupt game. I expect Obama to give a few of his close friends good jobs, but as long as they get the job done I don't mind. Coming from Rhode Island a corrupt government is something I have to live with everyday and they don't get much done. How much is a senate seat going for nowadays in this tight economy?

30. Sarah Chicago, IL

All hail David Gergen, the most entertaining intellectual. I would agree–Blagojevich deserves the title granted by Mr. Gergen

December 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  31. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, thats it, Mr. Gergen called him an idiot, guess i was right in my earlier post that somehow is still under moderation. lol

December 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Naissa, South Texas

"F-HIM"

Lol, sorry Anderson, that just sounded hilarious coming out of your mouth.

December 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  33. Cathy

Thank goodness for the Illinois Government scandal! Takes the heat off of Louisiana for a few minutes!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  34. EJ (USA)

Anderson appears to be enjoying this story.

The way Anderson said "F him" was just so forceful. lol

December 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  35. Ty Newell

It's ironic that Blago instituted an "ethics" exam required of all state employees. I knew he was crooked when that occurred.

December 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  36. lynn

Obama was right not to speak to the press today as eevryone was more interested to see if they could find a connection with him and the Gov. As the day wears on and the reporters finally did some research it is becoming clearly obvious that there is no connection.

The press is too quick to jump before they really do any investigating.

December 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Clyde

I have much respect for the campaign, the election of and the transition of President Elect Obama. I hope that he does not allow the 'spinsters' to persuade him to do anything other and say anything other than the right thing....... the truth about what he knows and when he knew about the Govenor. If he spoke to him (or his staff), truthfully let it be known. Do it right and decent for the American people.

38. Bruce

Sounds like the Gov is a crook. Don't let him tar Obama with the same brush.

39. T CLARK

Why did this take so long?

Most people knew it was coming.

What is next?

40. Marshana

The situation with the Illinois Governor is just awful. I know that this country support the theory that one is innocent until proven guilty. However, I must admit that my mind is made up. The Feds say that they have him on tape. To think that he would try to "Sell" Barack Obama's Senate Seat, it's just sad. I'm relieved that he has been found out. He needs to resign, as of yesterday.

41. Krishnan

Why is there shock about the Illinois Governor?

Are we supposed to believe that such things are not supposed to happen and do not happen?

Are we supposed to express surprise?

This is a wakeup call to those that want bigger government and surrender more power to those that are in such big government.

Obama is set to embark on a spending spree to get us out of the recession. I can imagine the feeding frenzy for that money and the corruption it will bring.

Or are we supposed to believe that say the spending of a trillion dollars will be done honorably by those in power?

If so, I have a bridge to sell.

What an abomination indeed.

42. Jennifer - Michigan

Randi – Great webcast! It's a bummer about the snacking and exercise needed to burn it off...As I enjoy my popcorn.

43. Mark

It may taint Obama's reputation by being involved in politics there, but I don't think it will be to much of a problem. I mean, Blagojevich was doing things like this, but he was doing them quietly. He was always in Chicago, hardly ever in Springfield, if that doesn't tell you anything.

44. MaryBeth

I disagree. I think the press is trying to say that Obama is not involved. Mr. Fitzgerald made sure of that this afternoon by repeating that no one mentioned in conversations was under investigation. There has been no evidence Obama or his team have had anything to do with Blagojevich. It is well-known in IL that the General Assembly hates the governor and want him gone. I don't know how we could re-elect him...but then we did re-elect Bush.....

45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think it proves that any politician can be trolling the corrupt waters, with themselves at the helm. I don't really trust any of them, anymore.

46. Ian B

Let's face it Anderson, if we bugged every politician across the America it would be even more disastrous. Fact is there are a number of pay to play politicians in every city. Which is why if the tax payers are paying their salaries, there should be pod cast from every seat in every chamber live streaming video and audio from all of their offices. From mayor on up your every action is heard and watched. That's the times were in.

47. Neil Jacobs

It is a shame that this corrupt politician is causing headaches for the Obama team. With the country seemingly going in a bad direction, this is the last thing we should be dealing with.

48. Tom M.

This whole matter is yet another attempt by sore Republicans to try to link President-elect Obama to a scandal where none exists. What happened to everyone (including the Governor) being presumed innocent until proven guilty?

49. Jill

Those of us who live in Illinois know how great President-Elect Obama is and have known what a sleeze bag the Governor is

50. California Scott

Hey all,

Of course there would be some contact between Obama's people and the Governor of Illinois or his staff regarding who should replace Obama. Nothing untoward there. The fact that the Governor is quoted as being annoyed with Obama for not giving him anything for appointing Obama's choice shows that the president elect is clean on this.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8