December 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/9/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast (she's filling in for Erica tonight) during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. roxie

His arrest does not affect my view of president-elect Obama. His arrest does remind me of another president. Explatives deleted are back and the "I am not crook speech" will probably come next. This twisted soul in the political fish bowl should resign.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Greg, Texas

AC you nailed the whole Blago drama with the word "Hootz-buh" .. yep that's the word. Now you're moving on to the OJ story. I guess you can use the same word there too as it applies aptly.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  3. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Hello Mr. Gergen! Cant wait to hear your soothing voice. 🙂

I'm so glad they have kept you coming on the show.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think anyone in Chicago politics can succeed without the help of the corrupt Chicago political machine. There may not seem to be any incriminating evidence against Obama, but has anyone ever really looked? They haven't and odds are they won't.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  5. txdem

I can't believe IL gov did that. I am glad to know that Obama and his people are not involved in any form.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Stacy

Anderson, why would this story affect my view of Obama? There is no evidence he's done anything wrong and in fact the quote from the governor implies Obama did everything on the up and up. Please don't manufacture drama.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  7. CAROLYN JONES

HI ANDERSON&ERICA! this is another day of white colar crime im so glad it's not the dumb robber or stupid petty crook. for the media execs that say white colar crime is boring come on know. i take president obama at his word. the gov said all obama would give him is thanks. so he knew obama is a honest man. the gov may have spoke with someone at the gov meeting that took place last week. but obama didnt.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Randi, everyone. I can see that there would be some discomfiture in the Obama camp, but this so far seems like Governor Blagojevich making deals with everything he could get his hands on. Almost like everything was quid pro quo. Seems like that. These are allegations.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Ken in NC

I just finished reading the complaint against Gov. Rod Blagojevich and I must admit that I was once of the impression President Bush was the second biggest airhead in the country behind only Gov. Palin of Alaska. I now am convinced that Bush and Palin both appear to be very smart when compared to this Governor.

December 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

It defies credibility that the Obama team didn't talk to the Governor about his successor even once.

December 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Steve Bloomington, IL

Being from IL it was laughable to hear that Blagojevich is looking for support from Illinois citizens, as his recent approval rating was as low as 13%. It's about time someone put an end to the governors insanity.

December 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Imani from Maryland

Hi Everyone...Even though it is the law that he gets to pick who gets his seat...giving his record shouldn't his ability to choose have been questioned.

December 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Jonnie

Yes this certainly does affect my opinion of Obama...

First, former Illinois governor Ryan, then Rezko, then Wright & Ayers. Why do these character associations of Pres-elect Obama's keep coming up...Hmmm Gotta wonder, don't ya?

December 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Renee

If Obama was a real leader, he would have HELD a press conference on this issue. Pronto! Gergen, what do you think? Does Obama think the people will just forget everything by his Saturday internet address.

December 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  15. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    It's unfortunate what's happened with the Governor in Illinois, but I'm glad he's been stopped before any further damage could be done.

December 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Steph

I wish to believe Blagojevich is the beginning of a bloody purge of figureheads of traditional politics commandeered by our newest witness. Demonstrate the transition away from old boys through the use of force that has been lawfully elected. While we have the might and support, it has to be true and honest, now.

December 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Martie

Woah!!! Barack must address this immediately. Like it or not, he's probably going to be caught in the middle. His statement today will be parsed ad infinitum – "we....I never had an contact." At least there is a statement on tape indicating that Barack was not willing to play ball – but if overtures were made and the campaign did not go public – how will that ultimately affect the future presidency?

December 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Say what? A corrupt politician? Nooooooooo, it can’t be true??!!! Stop it’s too mind boggling to think a politician is up to no good(allegedly).
    Janine,
    Yes, that is true!!!!

December 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  19. MaryBeth

No, everyone has been distancing themselves from Blagojevich. Daley, Durbin, Lt. Gov. Quinn, everyone has been trying to distance themselves...even though they are all Dems.

December 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Sarah Chicago, IL

How can the media pull President-elect Obama into this mess? I honestly believe he's one of few honest IL politicians, despite his connections to Chicago politics.

December 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  21. lynn

It's the press who are trying to make this a problem for PE Obama. The prosecuter and even the reporters themselves have found no connection whatsoever. the Governor appears to be some kind of "nut".

December 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Paolo

Hi Anderson, this is unbelievable by the Governor of Illinois. Why are Democrats this year embroiled in scandals (e.g. Spitzer of NY and Jefferson of LA) which they precisely vowed to crush when they first took office?

December 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama is trying to distance himself from this scandal and he may very well have nothing to do with it, but he and Blagojevich moved in the same political circles and had some of the same fundraising friends, like Rezko.

December 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Bea

Sorry Marybeth, speak for yourself on Lincoln! (smile)

December 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  25. MaryBeth

Megan: I would like to see Jesse Jackson Jr. or Tammy Duckworth.

December 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Lori from IL

It's a sad day here in Illinois - Not sad that Blago is finally brought up on corruption charges (It was pretty much always a matter of when, not if.), but that out state is getting so much bad publicity. I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find any Blago fans in Illinois. I'm just sad to see Obama/Blago pictures on the news. They must be old because it's no secret that Obama has clearly kept his distance from Blago.

If he doesn't resign soon, I'm sure impeachment proceedings will begin. There was a pretty strong effort to have him recalled earlier this year. His arrogance and stupidity have clearly caught up with him. And to think I once voted for him and had high hopes of what he could do for our state.

December 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Janine from PA.

Good evening Mr. Cooper and the AC360 team.

Say what? A corrupt politician? Nooooooooo, it can't be true??!!! Stop it's too mind boggling to think a politician is up to no good(allegedly).

December 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Renee

Does anyone know did the Governor of IL campaign fore Obama?

December 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. MaryBeth

Kathy, I think the last politician from Illinois we could trust was Lincoln.

December 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Jonnie

Hi Anderson!

I've been waiting all day for 360 and blogging. I just hope that President-elect Obama doesnt get beat-up by the right-winged media for being tied to another Chicago thug! Too bad there are too many thugs in Illinois.

December 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Darryle

The Governor Of Illinois Action Demostrate The Definition Of A (White Collar Crime) THUG. Darryle Of Hephzibah Georgia

December 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Do you know who will replace for Obama for seat???

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Larry

I guess that when you have seen what Mayor Daly was able to do, then anything goes.

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Special election sounds reasonable but is also costly. Doesn't it cost the state some $50 million dollars to have a special election?

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Minou, New York City

It's funny how some men think they're bullet proof!
    I am disgusted by this man's greed.

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Amy Adams, Woodstock, Illinois

By no means will this indictment of Governor Blagojevich impact the positive rise of our President-elect, Barack Obama. Historically the two men have shown themselves on opposite sides in any significant political facets. Should we toss all of Illinois’ political representatives in the same boat? I think not. Leave President-elect Obama to stand on his own priciples which put him where he is today. Megalomania defined by Gov. Blagojevich–sad indeed!

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Kathy, Chicago

Yes, now you know why I don't trust politicians from Illinois.

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. MaryBeth

Go Lisa Madigan! She doesn't suffer fools, takes after her dad, she does.

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Bea

Evening. Throw him under the jailhouse if we find he did it. Can he take a leave of absence without resigning for those claiming he's innocent until proven guilty?

December 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson and Erica. I bet the bloggs will be buzzing tonight. Can't wait to see how people are going to this story about Gov. Blagojevich to say that President elect Obama is an active player in this mess.

December 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Blagojevich is just another "player" in the corrupt Chicago political machine.

Glad to see Drew on the trail!

December 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. James - GA

The state senate needs to step up and take away his ability to post someone. Special election in Illinois is reasonable at this point.

December 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello bloggers! Wow, I would never have considered a Senate seat to be worth so much money! Blagojevich sounds like someone who loves being in power.

December 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Dulcie - Denver

Man, I printed out the PDF of the charges from CNN and it's really interesting reading.

Wow. A real page turner for a legal document.

December 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. MaryBeth

I read the complaint....it made me sick. I can't believe he would be so blatant about being so bad and corrupt.

December 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I won't accept that he sells seat for Obama....... what he was thinking????? Thanks Drew Griffin from Chicago.....

December 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Sarah Chicago, IL

Not only was I surprised by the news of Governor Blagojevich's arrest this morning, but was angered as a citizen who put faith into the governor. Dick Durbin is completely correct in suggesting a special election be held to find President Obama's replacement. Not only do I not trust Blagojevich, but I've now lost faith in the entire IL legislature. I can only hope the citizens of IL elect our new junior Senator.

December 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Larry

Evening Anderson & bloggers:)

Retiring Illinois Senate President Emil Jones said the seat should be passed to a black replacement, himself or Jesse Jackson Jr. Dunno why Jesse Jackson Sr. would not be interested, he has run for POTUS, same with Al Sharpton

December 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

It's a sad day to be an Illinoian. I don't know how Blagojevich even thought Obama owed him anything or would do anything for him.

December 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Hellooo Anderson, Randi and best bloggers.......
    I am so shocked I found out that Governor Rod Blagojevich arrested this morning on CNN TV.......... I am so disappointed with him. 🙁

December 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |