December 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/8/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is a given that they will try to play the race card in order to get an appeal.

December 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

I don't think OJ even cares about being in prison. If he's such a narcissistic and a psychopath – he couldn't care less. He'll get his highs off admiration from the other inmates.

December 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Minou, New York City

Well, OJ will have enough time to write a few books about how innocent he really is....

December 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  4. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Jim Parrott–I already have supported our autoworkers twice over in the last three years. An American made Hyundai and an American made Honda (more American made than a Ford Mustang I might add).

December 8, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I love the Planet in Peril series. Well, hell, it is a little depressing but we need to hear it! Thanks!

December 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  6. cecilia nord

I am tired of hearing about OJ and his problems.
    At least he will get food and a roof over his head .
    A lot of honest hard working people will have nothing!

December 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  7. neshah

governors today asked for government money because they dont have faith in another gov. stimulus package.
    i also heard people asking for gov.help but i thought the people asked first.

December 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm totally with you Bea! And I must say that each time that Mr. Toobin says something along the lines of 'when he killed 2 people back in 1994' it really bothers me because he was acquitted.

December 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Don, WA

It's Snickers and Orange Juice in The Nevada State Pen.

December 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  10. David, Indiana

I feel OJ thought he had a serious argument when he went before Judge Glass just before the sentencing. I'm surprised to hear there is no counseling in prison, I've heard that before, but I know for a fact there are some programs. Of course, a lot of the people in prison are the people who need counseling the most.

December 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Jim Parrott

Now that we are going to own a part of the auto industry I hope we all start supporting "our bussines" by buying our products... hopefully we'll make a better job than some GM, Ford and Chrysler employees who opt for driving foreing vehicles...

kind of reminds me the TV ad with the guy drinking a Pepsi while delivering Coke...

December 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  12. craig

we give wall street the keys to the bank with no questions asked knowing full well they have a huge hand in this mess gave them all that money and nobody knows where it went according to the GAO,we are still waiting for the middle class to get bailed out when does that happen if ever i am holding on by a string who bails me out,and the rest of America we are dying out here

December 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Megan, will there be a blog czar too??!!!! Yikes!
    Bea,
    Nope........ I don't think so.... there will not be blog czar..........

December 8, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Bea

I watched most of the OJ trial. The state didn't prove its case. I don't think he did it, but I think he knows who did ...

December 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  15. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I think that "prison" looks pretty cushy, as prisons go. I can't believe he gets to spend his incarceration in a desert resort area! 🙂

December 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  16. LisaL - Canada

OJ... at the risk of sounding like Sharon Stone...

December 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Colin

@david gergen ... people might be getting behind it – but the terms of reference of the car czar are more important than the appointment. It was clear the banking bailout czar – a junior Treasury Official – was a disaster of mammoth proportions that Paulson eventually had to take personal accountability for.

December 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Dulcie - Denver

@ Martha S. Why don't I buy American vehicles? First of all, my Nissan pickup *was* built in the US. But Big 3 autos? Terrible quality, designs I don't want at prices I don't want to pay (terrible value). Resale value is poor... I could go on, but I won't. I'm very happy with my 10 year old Nissan and have no plans to replace it. I prefer not to have a car payment or have to pay for insurance on a new vehicle.

December 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I laugh every time I see the OJ "whining" video. Wonder if OJ will be in solitary confinement or will he request a roomie?

December 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  20. ericacnn

Kathy, I believe Oprah said she wasn't having any of the candidates on – including Obama – once she endorsed him because she didn't want her show to be a platform for any candidate, including obama.

December 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Can Sarah Palin just be quiet for ONE day? That's my prayer~

December 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Cant they just put OJ under the jail? I'm sorry, that was very bad. Mea Culpa

December 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Delberta Keef

Do I understand this correctly .... As taxpayers we are going to pay because we didn't buy something that we couldn't afford??? What's wrong with this picture? If we're going to invest in a company then give us a product that we want, need, and can use, like energy saving products for our homes. This way the workers keep working, we reduce the oil demand, which lowers the cost of fuel, and helps the environment and the economy.

December 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Clyde

O.J. Simpson is quite an actor.

December 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Ha!

I still prefer “The Prince of Primetime News.” I don’t think Anderson likes either of them though.
    I agree with you........ I think he will not want to be rebrand Anderson as the News Czar at all.........

December 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Maureen T

I'm still praying for that day when we'll all say "Sarah who?" Let it be tomorrow! 🙂

December 8, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  27. sara

@ EJ what about The Hero of Primetime ?!;)

December 8, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Gosh

I am so sick of hearing about the woes of the Auto Industry/Union laborers/Organized crime. I am so sick of hearing about this! This scenario pops up with this industry every 4-6 years.

I say the US should deregulate this industry with the same gump that was used with our landline 'telephoney' Industry in the 80's.

The minions are watching.

December 8, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  29. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

YUCK! Barbara Streisand kissing George Bush!? I think I'm going to go blind! ARGH!

December 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse NY

Linda, If American cars gave the value of Toyota or Honda, Americans would buy them. You can't make an inferior product and expect people to but it.

December 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Candace from Canada

Anderson of course Sarah has declined your offer.

I would bet she is s c a r e d of you and what would happen to her in the interview!

She wouldn't stand a chance!
    It would be "Palin in Peril"

cam_canada 🙂

December 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think we need to leave OJ and Sarah Palin alone I've had just about enough of them!

December 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Glenda Burgess

The primary requirement to a bailout should be replacement of the existing CEOs of the companys by some of the many financial managers out of work currently in the educational and business communities.

December 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Bea

The real revelation of all of this economic stuff is what I already knew. A lot of these so called "really smart folks" got to where they are because their daddys put them there. When the results confirm how dumb they are, they claim no one could have predicted .....

Megan, will there be a blog czar too??!!!! Yikes!

December 8, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  35. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Good to see you here tonight and your comments about bailing out the Big 3. I may be wrong but I sense from your comments that sentiment is beginning to shift toward greater favorability for rescuing them - as long as there are tough conditions.

The idea of a "car czar" - as strange as that phrase is - makes sense. We need someone we can trust in government who will be a hard-nosed monitor of the car companies. Bush can appoint someone for the short term, and Obama can replace that person with his own appointee shortly after taking office. We need people we can hold accountable for this money, just as we should have had much better accountability on the money shoveled out for the banks.

By the way, I still hope that Obama will ask Al Gore to serve in some sort of informal advisory role on global warming and energy - just like Paul Volcker has agreed to do on the economy.

To Tony O –you offered a very striking idea in providing discounts for seniors whose savings have been largely wiped out and want to buy a car in coming months. Worth a good look.

Best to all you good bloggers!

December 8, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Clyde

Jim, Chrysler is now owned by a private equity firm (which should dis-qualify them from participating in ANY government assistance). The world, market, and economy was a completely different animal 20+ years ago. I doubt Iacocca's angle would work today.

December 8, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

No one snubs the Coop!

December 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

Palin has gotten hundreds of interview requests. Why is not accepting Oprah's a snub? Is there some unwritten rule that everyone needs to pay Oprah homage? Maybe knowing that Oprah is a mega-Obama fan, Palin feels she won't be treated fairly. Why take the risk? The View women were very biased too and it showed when the interviewed McCain. Oprah just has a huge ego.

December 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Imani from Maryland

The Prince of Primetime News?

December 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't blame Palin for not going on Oprah's show. I wouldn't bother.

December 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Jennifer - Michigan

Hey,Betty Ann – I really enjoy reading your posts – you're so funny – and straight to the point.

December 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Don, WA

Just keep bailing – eventually we'll float well again – just try and not spill too much the wrong way okay.

December 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Kathy, Chicago

Anderson-news czar-hmm, I like that. I heard about John King's new show as well. Looking forward to it. I'm sure AC and Erica will be on the new show!

December 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Joe Troll

Hi everyone.

December 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  45. KENNETH SHEEKS

Erica ,
    How can people think of shopping when they do not know when the next pay check may be the late? I worry that if that if GM goes bankrupt My pension will go away and I will be in a real bind just to make my bills. Target, Kmart and Walmart can wiat for my money. Maybe congress will bail me out if I go promise no golden bonuses.

December 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Minou, New York City

Oh, another observation reg. shopping:

I asked our cashiers, and they said ppl don't pay with credit cards as much anymore. It's either cash or debit, it used to be the other way around. (but I'm not for charging credit cards and thus getting into debt to begin with, so I think it's a good development)

December 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Candace from Canada

Haven't we heard enough about Sarah Palin and O.J. Simpson.

Let OJ enjoy his time in Jail.

Sarah – enough already!

December 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Asit

Seriously ? More OJ and Sarah Palin ? Whatever happened to "news"...

December 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  49. jim Minchella, chicago USA

I remember Chrysler was "bailed out" with tax dollar. We got paid back in full with interest, the k-car and the minivan. Not a bad deal but the right guy ran the Chrysler turn around.

December 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Sarah Palin snubbed a lot of people, not just Oprah. Guess her media bliz wasn't so much a blitz eh?

December 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |