December 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/8/08

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Alison

How many times r we going to bail these guys out!!! Each time they claim they'll improve – excuse me – in whose life time. They hv hd lots of chances & they've sat back & let the rest of the world take. Why believe them now. How about restructuring & selling to the employees?! We need a way to force them to go green.

December 8, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Candace from Canada

If the Big 3 are just going to burn thru that money by March 09, I would guess that they won't have a viable plan to be self sufficient in the next 3 months.

Why are we putting money into a project that, so far is going to fail?

December 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Diane N.

Where is proof that the car companies need the money anyway? Show us the books....

December 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Poor Obama. I think he has his work cut out for him. Let's just all agree to celebrate the end of the "Bush" era! Bubbly please!

December 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Greg

Does this mean that we now own a chunk of the car industry? Is so, then I want to put in my executive input and start to demand that we make a better product. If we (the companies) can't with the current set up, then let's make a scratch mark over the CEO's names along with their "yes" men and women and start again. There is a mile long line of competent execs looking for jobs!
    Give me my money's worth!

December 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

Yep, Erica, you've keenly observed what's going on with ppl and their shopping habits!
    The store I work at may be pretty packed on a Saturday, but customers are sooo reluctant to buy anything. If it's not on sale or on a promo, they wont' consider it. If it IS on sale or a promo, they want an additional percentage off....which we usually give. So, the customer gets a good deal, but the store makes nothing, which leads to cuts in work hours for us employees.

December 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Toni O

Why not give babyboomer retirees who have lost 401K's and retirement investments vouchers to purchase vehicles from the troubled automobile companies? The vouchers could be used to clear out the inventory, thus benefiting a portion of the taxpayers as well as the automobile companies who would be paid by the Government as the vouchers are used.

December 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  8. carlotta watson

It would be interesting to find out if the auto industry CEOs have large investments in the oil industry. That might explain their irrational addiction to gas guzzlers and the internal combustion engine.

December 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Paul M

The auto industry is rightly under heavy scrutiny for their bailout. But the banking/financial industry has obviously not done the right things with their huge bail out. I wonder if that should be considered as a high crime against this country. I wonder if it should be considered treason. Lets put these crooks away.

December 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Who is going to police all this accountability that Obama wants on all these new projects. It always sounds good to spend alot of money, but who'll be the enforcer..

December 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Hey David Gergen! Such a smooth voice! It always soothes me when i hear it. 🙂

Unemployment here is definitely going up. DOW has announced layoffs and we are not even sure they are going to keep the plant here open.

December 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Jim B

I wonder if the rest of the world will lend us the money we need to bail out the automakers, for Barack's stimulus plan, and all the other bailouts. My fear is that at some point they will lose their appetite for our Treasuries, and then what will we do without more money?

December 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  13. james

accountability is one thing
    government control of business decisions is another-
    how far should we go?

December 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Monica M. Williams

On the Big 3 Bailout: So far, I agree with Congress’ firm stance if it’s accepted. These Big 3 Auto companies are not new start ups or expansion companies who got caught in the cross fires of the failing economy. They are solidified generational companies who have/had the means to do better. I don’t think these companies should be currently in the black. But they should not be this far in the fiscal red begging for hand outs. The poor economy did not fail them. They failed themselves. Furthermore, they failed their shareholders, employees and founding company fathers. Shame on all those corporate heads responsible for this disgraceful day.

December 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone. I hope terms of bailout are not so restrictive that they inhibit the big 3 as they are in the midst of competition with other auto manufacturers. How did Chrysler bailout in the 80's go? What is included in restructuring, stopping certain products? layoffs? combining product lines?

December 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

then hopefully there wouldn’t be as many layoffs!
    Rikki......
    You're right!!!!! I hope not they won't layoff people from their jobs!

December 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hopefully Obama's plan to dump money into public works won't turn into the same porkathon that the current DOT building often goes for. Also, construction is one area with heavy use of illegal labor. Is he going to require that all those hired be checked to be US citizens?

December 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Erica! Great webcast – I think most of us are cutting back on Christmas shopping this year. – I'm not a big shopper anyway.

December 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Kachina aka. Da12yearold

I agree this bailout thing dosent make any sense...

December 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Bea

Hello folks.

December 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think that the Big 3 will be back in March to ask for more money giving the same old excuses. Even though the economy is in bad shape Chapter 11 may still be the way to go because it will dissolve existing contracts and allow for radical restructuring.

December 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Imani from Maryland

I was hoping Al Gore would be concidered for, Secretary of Energy.

December 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

aww, poor OJ. boo hoo hoo 😉

December 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Phil...it is actually America's problem, there are so many Americans that work for the big auto if they are forced to go bankrupt and restructure they are going to lose thousands more jobs than with the bailout. I think we need to do anything that we can to help out those taxpayers.

December 8, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Diane N.

This bailout for the car companies is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of especially when people can't even pay for their homes, how the hell are they going to buy cars? I find it hard to believe that it is necessary to keep the car companies just pushing out cars if no one can afford to by them. None of this makes any sense.

December 8, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Elsa Murdoch

What about stock options for the taxpayers bailing the big "3" out.Cut the CEO salaries and provide stock shares to us,the taxpayer so we can have a vested interest in the companies outcome!

December 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Clyde

I'm all for public works projects–there is a lot of work to be done, thanks to years and years of neglect to our infrastructure. This makes complete sense.

December 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  28. d. abrams, NY

I agree with Berry Ann, the bailouts will act as a bandaid for a much larger problem. These companies need to figure out how to make themselves viable in THIS economy. Selling cars to people who need them and can afford them in these times of hardship. Where is the "Volkswagon" of times past. A car designed & priced for people who are in dire straits and could use the car industry working with them so that everyone moves forward. JMI for thought.

December 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Imani from Maryland

Hello Everyone!

December 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Here's a novel idea :How about bailing out all those who lost their jobs?
    Or does that just relieve those who are suffering and not make the rich richer? what am I thinking? LOL

December 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  31. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Frankly, it's not fair to zero-in on Thain. He left a very successful position with the NYSE to take on the Merrill Lynch challenge. He has made progress, significantly narrowing the expected losses (he inherited the problems, he didn't create them).

December 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  32. MaryBeth

Is there anyway Obama's economic plan, job stimulus plan can be pushed thru Congress now? Before January?

December 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Phil W.

I wouldn't drive an American made car if you gave one to me. I have had my Hyundai since 2001, and with 184,000+ miles, it is still going strong! I seriously doubt an American made car would have endured my extensive driving.

A $15B bailout will not work as they will run through the money by March, according to CNN. It's like giving a crack addict more crack. They'll burn through it and want more later. Let 'em go bankrupt, restructure, and see if they can survive.

Not Americas problem.

December 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  34. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Burn through the money......this sounds like a plan. Let me run out and buy stock in one of these companies.

December 8, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

car czar almost sounds stupid
    EJ....
    I agree with you..... Yup! sound stupid word!

December 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Screw the bailouts. All they want to do is take the money and run. $$$$`~~

December 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. MaryBeth

EJ: I agree...why not....Dept. of Transportation director...deputy director or something....just add a position to the DOT

December 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  38. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

$15 billion is $15 billion too much.

December 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Accountability is a must, just as the bail out for the big 3 is, as much as i dislike the idea.

December 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I agree MaryBeth...giving Big 3 a bailout would definitely help with that...then hopefully there wouldn't be as many layoffs! I really think we need to help out the auto workers.

December 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Candace from Canada

Happy Monday Anderson, Erica & Bloggers!

Since the big 3 are getting their bail out – maybe us consumers that have supported them by buying new vehicles will receive a bail out from Santa this year! 😉

Hope everyone had a great weekend! The countdown to Christmas is on!

Temp here is -35 with a windchill making it feel like -42.
    Stay warm everyone! 😉

cam_canada

December 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

15 billion? All this does is bring the big 3 back to Congress by March. I think the big three know they will keep getting money at the end of the day no matter what they do.

December 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I hope congress will approve their bailout for vote......

December 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I would be interested to know if the Big 3 have submitted plans on exactly how they are going to use this money. What are they going to do differently?

December 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

car czar almost sounds stupid

December 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and fellow bloggers! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

December 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. MaryBeth

Happy Monday, everyone!!! The less jobs lost, the better. If this loan to the Big 3 would do that, then go for it.

December 8, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. EJ (USA)

Hi Anderson

December 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Jennifer - Michigan

Hello Anderson, Looking forward to a good show tonight.

December 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, and best bloggers.....
    I hope all of you have great weekend!
    I can't wait forward watch Planet in Peril on Thursday!!!!
    Uh-oh!!!!! Ouch!! 3 automakers already have $15 billions bailout...... not good news for me......... I am against bailout now.

December 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |