December 5th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Swimming with Giants

Michael Phelps competing in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Michael Phelps competing in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Eva Nordstrom
AC360 Senior Producer

Michael Phelps is the only human in the world who knows what it feels like to win eight gold medals in a single Olympic games, and Anderson Cooper is probably one of the only mere mortals who now knows what it’s like to race him in the pool.

Phelps gave Anderson his most extensive interview since his record smashing performance in Beijing. He talked to Anderson about how he did it and he even shared some of his training secrets. Anderson also followed him on somewhat of tour around the country…watching him build the Michael Phelps- mega brand. It is not every day that you can watch someone turn down a FIVE MILLION DOLLAR offer. And yes, Phelps even agreed to race Anderson with some serious handicaps, of course. Find out tonight who won and what makes this amazing athlete tick.

The big November jobs report is out and it is very grim. It was the worst single month since 1974! So far, 2008 is on track to be the worst year for job losses since 1982 when economy lost 2.1 million jobs. Are the American people finally going to get their own bailout? I wonder if this will influence lawmakers who are trying to decide if U.S. automakers should be helped out after all?

Speaking of which…the Big Three are back today begging for bailout loans (say that three times) But there are signs that they may not have the support they need on the Hill. Should they get the money?

Meanwhile, where does Obama stand on all things economy? Some Democrats are speaking out…saying he needs to be a little more assertive. Sen. Christopher Dodd the chairman of the Senate Banking Committee said, "The Obama team has to step up. In the minds of the people, this is the Obama administration. I don't think we can wait until January 20." What do you think?

And finally, we find out today how much time O.J. Simpson will be spending behind bars. It was recommended he receive eighteen years. He could get life. The Goldmans will be in the courtroom to watch firsthand.

Hope you enjoy tonight’s program!

Filed under: Eva Nordstrom • The Buzz
  1. Tammy, Berwick. LA

I'm glad to see the interview finally airing on 360. Michael Phelps is one amazing young man, and the swimming records are only a tiny part of it. He and Anderson are both proof that moms on their own can do an amazing job of raising their sons.

I hate to tell the Democrats, but they need to listen to their own President-Elect. He cannot overstep the authority George W. Bush and his administration still hold. Obama has said it time and time again. Quite honestly, I seriously doubt Obama will do anything earth shattering before then if given the chance anyway. He's still working with the same Congress he was until recently a part of, and we all know how well those last stimulus packages and bailouts worked out.

December 5, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  2. Jo Ann

I really enjoyed Anderson’s “60 Minutes” interview with Michael Phelps. I was happy to see him highlight the relationship between Michael and his mother Debbie, she seems very sweet and Michael does owe her "the world."

At this point in his career Phelps still seems like a humble person, but time will tell whether or not he is able to handle all of this attention; few have been able to remain unchanged by so much fame and fortune. Maybe his mom can help keep his feet on the ground.

Even with all of the “conditions,” the “Middle-Aged Mortal” made a respectable showing in the “uneven race!” However, I have a little advice for Anderson should he choose to challenge Michael in the future; build up that lower body, work on your diving technique, and for God’s sake wear the appropriate swimming attire! I think Anderson’s “modesty” may have cost him the race!

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

December 5, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  3. Melissa, Los Angeles

With the average American carrying $9,000 in credit card debt alone, why should the responsible bail them out? Why should we give them money because they purchased things they could not afford? This is a huge wake up call for all of us to learn how to live within our means.

December 5, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  4. Teresa, OH

How did Michael Phelps do it? Behind every great man is a woman: his mom ; ) I was surprised at how close that race was with Michael and Anderson.... I was wondering if Michael didn't really try so hard.

On the Big 3: if I recall correctly: a CNN poll said that MOST americans didnt agree with the $700b bailout. But they got it. Now the CNN polls are saying most people dont want the auto buyout/ LOAN and they probably wont get what they are asking.

Taxpayers and officials: you can either help the automakers NOW or the taxpayers are gonna pay later. One way is at least trying to help. The other way is 3 million more people needing help. Think about it.
    Ummm, also, does anyone realize how much money the auto workers pay into taxes ??? It's their money too. I think the money-granters are trying to make up for their HUGE mistake with the $700b bailout by punishing the automakers.

OJ? OJ who?

December 5, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Another week of sobering news on the economy. I really don't know if the auto bailout will help or would be coming too late. I hate bailouts, but I hate to see people lose their jobs.
    I saw the Phelps interview on 60 minutes. Good interview, but Anderson trying to beat Phelps was like a turtle racing a jaguar...Happy Friday.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

December 5, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  6. Michelle

533,000 is a real wake up call. I have a feeling we are on the
    brink of a depression if not in the beginning of one already in
    progress. The auto makers are asking for 1/20th the amount
    given to the financial institutions. I have a hunch 34b will be
    cheaper than having to fix a disaster that could be prevented
    if people act now. 2008 will likely end with more than 2 mil
    Americans unemployed.

December 5, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  7. Cindy

I wondered if you all would show the 60 Minutes piece that Anderson did with Michael Phelps. I loved that Coop attempted to race him...even though he knew he had no chance what so ever to win. But hey...he can now say he is one of a few to do so. Wonder if any other journalist would have done that?

While I don't like bailing out companies who did stupid things to get into trouble I really don't think we have a choice in the matter with the Big 3. If we don't help them and they fail then it won't just be them that suffer. It'll trickle down to many other companies and eventually us also.

I think Obama is doing all that he can right now. He is in no position to make any changes now anyway so what does Dodd expect him to do? Just talking about something won't change anything.

OMG...OJ!! UGH..I almost forgot about him! Hopefully he gets a long time in prison and we won't hear anything else about him!!

Cindy...Ga.

December 5, 2008 at 10:55 am |
  8. Joanne, Solvay, NY

Here's the thing about the Big Three. It's too little, too late. If people need to make concessions in order for a cohesive and realistic pay-back of the loan is made and approved by economists, then fine. However, the architecture of the bailout cannot simply become a rubber stamp on a shoddy, quickly construed plan by these geniuses who are now 30 years late in their planning venture. Their excuse is that they believed "gas would always be cheap."

December 5, 2008 at 10:45 am |