December 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/05/08

O.J. Simpson sentenced to 15 years in prison. He says what he did was stupid and he's sorry, but his crimes will keep him behind bars for at least 9 years. Did his rambling apology in court help or hurt his case?

And, as the auto industry begs for billions of dollars, more than half a million jobs were lost in November. Will that grim jobs report help the Big 3's case?

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.
Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name
Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ
Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST
And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback. After all, without you the viewer, and you the reader, we are working all these hours for nothing.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Minou, New York City

That poor kid! I hope he'll get the emotional/psychological support he needs to heal.

December 5, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Joe Troll, Compton, CA

Good evening people.

December 5, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  3. CAROLYN JONES

anderson& erica is it me or is the the folks in the world is .getting a little bit crazy, or numb to peoples lives. sick folks do people not interact with their neighbors or is it all about one self.

December 5, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  4. David, Indiana

Jolene, that's true about congress, on the other hand as far as I can recall, the big 3 and the union have worked together to make adjustments, work out concessions and generally strive to position themselves to make it through various economic circumstances and in these hearings they've been quick to cut the CEO's exec pay, avoid using the private jets, and come up with answers to congress's questions. Seems like they've been sensible and flexible. I hope the bailout, bridge loan, rescue works.

December 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Renee

Sorry Erica I could not disagree with you more. This kid is now the speechwriter of the President. Hillary is now S of S. Hillary has worked hard to pave the way for other women. Yes, we have all seen this child like behavior but it was time for Hillary to say enough is enough. I have to agree with Campbell's on-line commentary. Can't we show more respect for women?

December 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

If the Big 3 don't get the bridge loans, they are done. No one will buy cars from a company who is in backruptcy. I know that I wouldn't.

December 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

Glad to see David Gergen on tonight. David never seems to be "groping" for words!! Thanks for the Friday night funny.

December 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Caroline

Oh I'm sure Caroline Kenndy could rise to the occasion of being Senator. Her whole family is in the business of politics. They could show her the ropes and she'd probably enjoy renewing her father's and her uncles' legacy.

December 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Catrina Turner

I agree with loaning the Big Three the money to help out. Although, I am not very sympathetic towards the Auto Industry. Originally, from michigan and witnessing their reckless disregard for their employees within michigan. As well as other states. I feel that the Big Three need to take some responsibility for their actions. Make do with their short term loan whatever it may be. Then make sound decisions towards real change within their policies. Congress is only making an example out them I feel this is ludicrous. Congress should really be questioning Secretary Paulson again about what happened to the funds that was given to the banks. I watched the committee question Paulson about this and he was very evasive about where the money has gone. This is really ridiculous.

December 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Rikki, Fargo, ND

It was a priceless moment Erica! It made me laugh out loud...forgetting, of course, that the kids are sleeping!

December 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

We are turning soon to the terrible news today on rising unemployment — over 500,000 jobs lost in November and more losses on the way.
    David Gergen.....
    I heard bad news too..... That's so awful for people lost their 500,000 jobs..... I think please no bailout for them.... I hope that they will get back their feet and get other job....... I am glad see your blog tonight..... and I agree with you.....

December 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Michelle

Erica I was just going to say the same thing.
    It's going viral.

December 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Dulcie - Denver

I'm not excusing the guy, but I know of a couple of pictures of me that exist that I wouldn't want to see on the internet.

Anyone's idiocy can show up and bite them on the butt at any time.

December 5, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Susan, Mi

Let's not try to justify a bailout for the big 3 just because we gave all that money to wall street. My dad use to tell me "two wrongs do not make a right".

I vote for bankruptcy and soon before we hear of more golden parachutes.

December 5, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I agree with Dana Bash, I highly doubt Caroline Kennedy will take the Senate seat but then again......it's been one wild year so anything goes!

December 5, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  16. ericacnn

a priceless ac360 moment!

December 5, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Rikki, Fargo, ND

What I don't understand is why this speech writer allowed this photo to be taken? In this age of Myspace and Facebook no photo is safe! But I do love the comment by Clinton Officials!

December 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Clyde

Carolyn Kennedy is eloquent and presents herself well. I'm pleased she might enter politics.

December 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  19. CAROLYN JONES

caroline would make a great senator, she great with school projects.

December 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Steve

If the government is to be an "investor" in the auto companies, shouldn't private capital be able to (and want to) invest on the same terms as the American taxpayer. If the government believes it is a good investment, wouldn't private investors want a piece of the action? If not, maybe it is not such a good deal for the government after all.

December 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Caroline

Great friend posting that photo on MySpace! LOL, Hillary brushed it off-what else can she do? She got a good job.

December 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  22. elisabeth meier

this poor speech writer... you dont need enimies you have friends like he has...

December 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I don't think it hurts to give the Big 3 what they need to keep them above water until end of March. I hope Congress makes a decision this weekend.

December 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Minou, New York City

The guy groping Hillary's pic is an idiot, but he sure is cute!

December 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Dr. Joni Carley

Interesting that most Americans don't want an auto bailout and yet most believe they will be adversely affected if it doesn't happen. We have an inner sense of decency that's insulted by years of American automakers' arrogant choices. That deep sense of justice is more essential to us than even our own financial well-being.

Important questions: what can we fund with bailout money that will honor our true sensibilities? And how can media speak to and proliferate the stories that reflect what really matters to us? Because no car czar, no amount of $700 billion packages can fix what's wrong.

December 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

Looks like the Obama aid needs a girlfriend.

December 5, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Kristin

The bailout of the big 3 automakers will do far more for our country that all the money that has gone to Wall Street since October. Let's help out those that actually make something.

December 5, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  28. CurtisJo

Millions of people have already lost their jobs, home, etc. Why should greedy auto union workers be given a free ticket and the rest of us left to fend for ourselves? I can't figure out which performances are worse than the others, O.J. in the courtroom, our the big three CEOS and UAW head at the hearings?

December 5, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

Let the big three file bankruptcy. There are a few airlines that had to do it and they are doing better now than they were before and it will save our government and our citizens money that they need.

December 5, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Tim Texas

The millions of people that lost there jobs do you think they will be buying a car?
    More money and more money , Every time i spent money with out taking time to think about it i lost .
    We need CPA 's IN THE WHITE HOUSE NOT LAWERS

December 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Cortez

I think that picture gives the speech writer a bad name. He probably was just holding up the picture

December 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Caroline

Hi David, Anderson and Erika,

The job news is disturbing, especially in light of the fact that there is usually at least seasonal employment during the holidays.

But equally disturbing, in my opinion, is the news that 1 in 10 homeowners is at least 30 days behind in their mortgage payments.

I do not trust the leadership of the Big 3 automakers, but for our own sake I think we have to loan money to the companies. However, I am all for a Car Tzar. Someone or some group has to watch these shops. Lord knows their current executives have not been.

December 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Paolo

This auto-bailout is going to be a tough sell to taxpayers whatever happens. However it should be done only for the sake of preventing more massive job losses.

December 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Dulcie - Denver

Hey David,

I'm very concerned about the jobs. But the whole Labor issue is a difficult one. Some of the Labor contracts for the Big 3 are very disadvantageous for the Big 3. I think some serious concessions are in order in view of the current difficulties. I just don't know that the UAW will do anything truly meaningful to help the automakers become competitive again.

I really look forward to your thoughts.

December 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Mindy

David,

I have been a supporter of a rescue plan for the auto companies. The report on job losses makes it even more urgent. The economy cannot survive the shock of the big 3 auto companies failing. I am thinking of the millions of workers whose jobs depend on the auto companies. We have to save their jobs.

I am still extremely disturbed by the fact that the financial institutions got billions without any oversight or conditions. I thought that money was supposed to free up credit so people and businesses could get loans. Well, that didn't happen. So what did the banks do with the money?

Let's save the auto companies and do whatever is necessary to monitor how the money is used. No money should be going to plants in Mexico. This is for us in the U.S.A.

December 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Without a plan I wouldn't give the Big 3 any money. More important than where the money is coming from is where it is going to be spent. If our incompetent government inisists on giving the Big 3 a bailout they had better keep track of where every penny of taxpayer money is going!

Maybe 360 could get someone like Drew Griffin to keep them honest for us.

December 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Bea

David, yes, yes, yes, we have to rescue the companies but not like we've rescued everyone else. This whole process reveals the lack of expertise in Washington when dealing with corporate matters – and it reveals that many folks who make it to the top aren't too smart (present company excepted of course, David!)

December 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Stacy

@David Gergen: Yes, at this point the Big Three should be rescued. But there has to be oversight and conditions. We already wasted billions on Wall Street; let's not do it again.

December 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Susan, Mi

Hi David:

I am so against the bailout. I understand the job loses and the severity of that. However, have you ever known the Federal Government to fix anything?

I think a trustee in bankruptcy would call for real change in the industry. I would hope the first thing that would change would be the greedy salaries of the ceo's. Nobody is worth that. I think it would be a step in the right direction if we take the government out of the situation.

December 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  40. CaseyJ - Las Vegas

No Bailout David! Our government has already proven they can't be trusted with tracking or overseeing the financial bailout. AND, it's completely illogical to loan five times more money to any business than it's book value (GM for example).

December 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Anthony

Hi,
    I am waiting for the facebook photo story with Hilary and Obama's speechwriter, and see why it is worthy to appear in AC 360

December 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  42. yolonda spinks from memphis

If Congress bails the Big Three out I want to know if they will clean everyones credit report so that they can qualify for a hybrid car.

Recession is equal to little or no money which is equal to credit going bad which sums up to those hybrid cars staying on the lot after they get our money to build them.

December 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Mr. Gergen,

I definitely think that we need to do something to help the auto industry so that we can prevent the astronomical job loss that will happen if big auto is forced declare bankruptcy. There are so many citizens that have given their entire working careers to the auto industry and we need to think of them when we think about the bailout.

December 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

David Gergen, Are all the 500,000 job losses in the auto industry? I don't like the bailout at all, but if it helps some people keep their jobs, then I guess it's worth it. I just wonder when the other companies will be heading to Congress to shore up their industries?

December 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

It's not just job losses. In retail, the weekly work hours employees get, depend on the daily income of the store. If the goal income is not achieved, stores cut their employees hours. At the moment, I'm getting the same lousy hours I'm usually getting in the January-March phase. So, come next semester I'm going to tutor at my school....

December 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Wes Legge

Hi Anderson,
    I am just curious why no one has not mentioned one time the fact that this bailout would not have been necessary, perhaps if the oil companies had not continued to gouge us at the gas pumps. People have had to change. Who could continue to buy the SUV's and still put the gas in them. Now look at the price of gas. Who is the culprit?
    Maybe the major oil companies should be asked to fund this bailout instead of us middle class Americans who are currently looking for work to keep food on the table.

December 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  47. elisabeth meier

i dont think that the bailout will increase the sales of these three auto companies. it is already impossible because people dont have money without a job, without credits from their banks... I think in a few months when all the "lend" money is suddenly (and surprising for everone) blown away (and nobody will remember where it is going) we will sit here again and ask: what now?
    we still are not on the bottom of this crisis and i do not know if it is helpful to reach the bottom slowier

December 5, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Lori from IL

While I understand people being upset with a Big 3 bailout - I think it's time we looked at the bigger picture. What happens to our economy if we don't bail them out? We bailed out Wall Street with no idea of exactly how the money was spent and an industry the doesn't manufacture a tangible product. At least with the Big 3 there is a product that is manufactured - jobs to be saved not only from the automakers themselves but all their suppliers. With the job loss numbers reported today, how many more can we afford to lose?

December 5, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

If you watched any of the Big 3 in Washington the past few days, Congress has been ripping them a new one. I don't believe one person or a "Czar" will be able to oversee the Big 3 nor will that person have the knowledge to make the "Go/No Go" decisions required to micro-manage them!

December 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Genevieve M, TX

Hmmm... those automakers say they need the funds from a bailout yet they have money to lobby Congress.

December 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |