December 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/05/08

O.J. Simpson sentenced to 15 years in prison. He says what he did was stupid and he's sorry, but his crimes will keep him behind bars for at least 9 years. Did his rambling apology in court help or hurt his case?

And, as the auto industry begs for billions of dollars, more than half a million jobs were lost in November. Will that grim jobs report help the Big 3's case?

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.
Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name
Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ
Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST
And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback. After all, without you the viewer, and you the reader, we are working all these hours for nothing.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I am glad that Pirates caught by Danish and get rescued our Americans got free from cruise!!! I am so happy!! Thank you Danish so much!!!!

December 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  2. CaseyJ - Las Vegas

I don't recall much about the previous bad economic years (34 years ago, etc). Caring about this stuff now must be realtive to my age. I've never been unemployed, as an adult.

December 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. David Gergen

Hello everyone - We are turning soon to the terrible news today on rising unemployment - over 500,000 jobs lost in November and more losses on the way. Does this make you think that we should rescue the auto companies in order to prevent even more job losses?
    A compromise is shaping up today in Washington for short-term help until Barack Obama and a new Congress can resolve the long term future of the car makers. Would welcome your views. Thanks.

December 5, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Laporsha F.

wow everything moves fast on here.

December 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

That's a horrible picture! I can see you being at a party, drinking, and thinking you are being funny with a cardboard Hillary, but, what they are doing to Hillary is over the top! I hope that dude gets fired!

December 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I am glad that congress is finally close to making a deal and bailing out big auto. I think this is a good move. There are so many hard-working, tax-paying citizens that would lose their jobs if we don't help out the auto industry. Every car I've every owned has been a domestic car and I think there are a lot of people out there who still drive domestic cars and will continue to drive domestic cars.

December 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Caroline

Oh dear. Obama aid doing something really dumb. Not good.

December 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Anderson and Erica
    What's up with breaking news the bailout 3 automakers????

December 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope Congress is doing the right thing with the bailout. I'm sure they'll be back for more next year. Taxpayers aren't a bottomless pit. I hope it will help the employees and not be wasted if it's given.

December 5, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  10. robin nunemaker

give it a rest so he will spend 15 years in prison well guess what anybody know who will keep hounding him when he gets out and is ther a law against it. Oh wait a minute they have there own laws and i guess juges to.

December 5, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Fay, CA

The whole OJ case has been a complex mix of issues–although there may be grounds for an appeal, I hope there won't be one–I think everyone involved in this case should just go away now that OJ has been convicted.

December 5, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Mindy

Anderson,

Oh no!! Not Sarah Palin again! I don't care if they spent a million dollars for her clothes, hair makeup, spa treatments or whatever. I don't want to see or hear about her anymore.

December 5, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Tim Texas

If the CEO's just sold one of there summer home they could help the bailout of there company.
    Stop the trade over seas bring the jobs back to the USA.
    What do we make every thing says china.
    We are helping the same people that sent jobs over seas.
    Ask them how many plants are hear in the US and will this money help The US PLANTS OR MEXICO?

December 5, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Emma

What?!? I can't believe you're still talking about Palin's clothes. Move on, Anderson!

December 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  15. elisabeth meier

sarahhhhh! oh no! i must be sick, but after oj its really nice to see her

December 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. dee

I really think the goldmans did push all of this they might of gave the judge money to send him up for that long.Yes this is about his past. Now that O.J is in jail what are the goldman going to do about money...The goldman's need to GET A LIFE and stay out of O.J life.Maybe once he gets out they will leave him alone and that he can get on with his life...........

December 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Anton, Kinston, NC

This is bogus. OJ was found NOT GUILTY in the "earlier" case and should have no bearing, no issues, no mentions in this case. Jeffrey Tubin should know better.

December 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Chris

I thought OJ was acquitted for murdering his ex wife. Why is Lisa Bloom and Jeffery Toobin saying that he killed Nicole? They are obviously bias in their opinion on OJ.

December 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  19. CaseyJ - Las Vegas

"In addition how do you make a case for kidnapping when the law is clear and the statements are clear that at most it was false imprisonment?"

The charges wouldn't hold up to begin with unless they were appropriate. The evidence must of supported the charges.

December 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What the Big 3 automakers are getting for Christmas will cost all of us.

December 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Avery

OJ is like Al Capone!
    You cant cheat life!!
    One way or another, you pay!

December 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. John

Auto industry bail out .Whos going to buy the cars? Big three is out of touch.I mean consumers aren't letting go of there imports.Even technicians have a hard time endorsing domestic brands.

December 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Laporsha F.
    Hellooo!! Welcome to Live Blog tonight, Have nice you be here tonight! 🙂

December 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  24. Dawn from Alaska

Hi bloggers. I think a bridge loan to the auto companies is OK if there is oversight and a plan for a new type of vehicle along with whatever retooling is necessary. Money which has already been given to the financial companies without direction seems unfair if some effort isn't made to help the nearly 2 million jobs and people connected with the auto industry. I also really think that somewhere here in the U.S. is a design and a workable model for a new type of vehicle that runs on user and environmental friendly energy or fuel. The plans for said vehicle may be in some inventor's garage or bought and paid for or stolen and hidden in a deep vault by Big Oil or Big 3 Auto.

December 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Al Lyons

Anderson, has anyone ever taken a camera crew to a G.M. assembly plant parking lot at shift change ,to see how many employes drive G.M. cars,or are they driving imports.

December 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Janeane

I can't believe that the lead discussion is on OJ. OJ received time because he is arrrogant. Arrogance isn't a crime but they made it so against him because of his past and people want to see him go to jail. I believe this was a setup and they threw the book at him. If the judge has to make a comment about this not being related to past charges then it is.

December 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Emma

I also believe the Judge was punishing OJ for what happened 14 years ago. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in jail. However, he was acquitted in the murder case. The Judge should punish him for what he did in this current case and not try to correct what happened in a previous case. I wonder if a defendant in a similar case would get the same punishment as he did today.

December 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  28. yolonda spinks from memphis

I get so sick of the Goldman's on tv crying. I am trying to figure out the laws of the land. How can someone sue you when you have been acquited or proven innocent. I think we need to revisit that law.
    OJ was served an injustice and I pray that the appellate court overturn his conviction. It was his stuff, period.

December 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I do feel badly for OJ's kids; he dragged them through hell.

December 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Maureen T

Before we lock him up and throw away the key let us not forget that O.J. is not the only celebrity who believes he is above the law!

December 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Stephanie Nelson

PS – Who CARES about the Goldmans after all this time? Haven't they milked the man for all he's worth, and the some, yet? They're the biggest losers. Please, CNN, no more of this tabloid trash on AC360. I thought Anderson was more intelligent than that. Tobin too. Grown men crowing over another man's misfortune, with bimbo(s) gloating. Please spare us.

December 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Anna

Hi Anderson, Erica, crew and bloggers,

I think that the whole OJ saga is quite sad and annoying. I find that far too much media attention has been given to him rather than other important news.

Anna, Toronto, ON

December 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Laporsha F.

hello anderson, bloggers, i guess you can say im a little new to this. =]

December 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Toobin is right on! OJ has a rage problem. I'm sure he will have issues in prison too!

December 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  35. marie profit

well look like o.j is going to go where some of america want him to go–jail. and the goldman's can't get any more money. oj went to jail
    because of what happen to ron and nicole.

December 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

OJ is responsible for his own downfall.

December 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I completely agree Catrina! That is exactly what I was thinking. That they courts were sentencing him for what happened in 1994 and not for these crimes!

December 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. elisabeth meier

it seems that its true: you always get what you deserve sooner or later

December 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I could care less whether or not the verdict in this OJ trial was a result of the botched up murder case in Los Angeles. I am still glad that the Goldmans and the Browns are getting some type of justice.

December 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Natalia, England

From the reaction on here, i'm guessing most people are happy with the outcome of the trial. I'm not familiar with US law, but are the charges that OJ has been convicted of fairly serious?

December 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im glad the Brown and Goldman families finally got the closure they needed.

December 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Mindy

Just a follow up to qualify my earlier comments.

Jeffrey –

You were 100% correct in your analysis of OJ the person. Yes, he is a complete narcissist, thinking only of his own feelings, not obeying the law, making his own rules. However, I disagree with your comments that this case would not have been brought against your average citizen. The only difference is that the average citizen wouldn't have been able to hire a top team of lawyers and even they couldn't get OJ out of this one.

The simple fact is that OJ had other options. He could have called the police. He could have called these people and asked them politely to consider returning the property. But he made the decision to get some people and at least one gun and break into their hotel room and hold them against their will. It's all on tape, so this time OJ can't lie his way out of it.

Two good people are gone because of this man. Nothing can ever make up for the loss of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown. They are gone forever. As someone who is a survivor of domestic violence, this has hit way too close to home.

December 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Lori from IL

I agree with Jeff Toobin - this is pretty much the end of OJ's career and when you think about it - how sad. He had so much and threw it all away. Unfortunately, his story is not unique.

December 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Linda Heidari

What has transpired today does not in any way surprise me because
    this is a man who absolutely thought that he was above the law!
    As the bible states"Ye shall reap what you sew".Whatever we do on this earth comes back to us.I love your show, Anderson.Thanks,Linda

December 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  45. jeffrerey simmons

They didn't get him then, they're getting him now. If O.J had never killed Brown and Goldman, this case would have never gone to trial. I do believe he was guilty of murder,our justice system failed. This is an example of a make up call by a referee in sports. This is not the way it is supposed to work.

December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  46. gary gwilliam

As an active and still working 71 year old man, I really resent Jeff Tobin's comment that O.J. Simpson will be essentially too old to do much once he is released fom jail. I like Tobin and thin k the sentance is fair (I am a former prosecutaor), but get off the 70 is too old stuff!!! Gary Gwillaim

December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Suseth - FL

Hi Anderson

OJ got what he deserved. He made very bad choices and now as to suffer the consequences. It is typical that celebrities and the rich think they are above the law.

December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hello Erica..Happy 19 days until christmas

December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Susan, Mi

Hi Erica, can't wait to hear the latest on the bailout.

December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Forrest - Olathe, Ks

I think his actions in going about to try and retrieve items that either he did own and/or had own was stupid on his part. His arrogance finally caught up with him. As for the Goldmans, as much as this will sound like I am not sympathetic to their loss, I am beyond glad and hope that this will be the last time I see and hear from the both of them. I feel that they went way overboard in the past severals years in trying to "preserve Ron's legacy" by some of the actions they did. I also feel that alot that went into incident, going as far as it did, was because of the murder trial. How can anyone think any different?

December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |