December 5th, 2008

I don’t care if you are the president-elect, no one calls me during Days of Our Lives

Jack Gray
AC360 Associate Producer

It looks like there could be trouble in paradise.  Congressional Democrats are irritated that President-elect Obama hasn’t gotten more involved in fixing the economic crisis.  I mean, come on, the guy hasn’t even been inaugurated yet.  Leave him alone.  Can’t you see he’s busy selling cubic zirconia Obama Victory pendants on his website and trying to get back that snow blower he loaned to Bill Ayers?  Listen to me, Mr. President-elect, just tell them what I tell Anderson when he calls me early in the morning:  “I’m not on the clock yet, burn your own James Taylor/Young Jeezy mix CD.”

So is it just me or have there been an inordinate number of phone mix-ups among politicians this week? First, Florida Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen hung up on President-elect Obama not once but twice, believing that she was actually speaking to a prankster radio DJ.  Then Senator John McCain hung up on Governor Sarah Palin.  Palin, of course, immediately called back saying, “John, it’s really me, Sarah, you must have thought it was one of those radio pranksters.”  Replied McCain, “No, I knew it was you.”

Meantime, President Bush and Mrs. Bush have purchased their post-White House home.  It’s a ranch-style house on a quiet cul-de-sac.  Which explains why the president recently replaced Hail to the Chief with the theme song from The Golden Girls.

Big news from Canada, eh?  Facing a no-confidence vote, Prime Minister Stephen Harper shut down Parliament until late January.  Which is apparently, um, legal?  I don’t know about you but I’ve always thought that shutting down an entire branch of government should be a more involved process than shutting down a rodent-infested Taco Bell.

Anyway, it’s Friday.  Which is usually a cause for celebration.  But I’ll let you in on a little secret: I’ve been off from work since Wednesday.  So you’ll excuse this blog post if it smells like pajamas and macaroni & cheese.

My father asked me, since I had the night off, if I went to the Rockefeller Plaza Christmas Tree Lighting.  I told him it was indeed on my list of things to do, right after booking passage on a cruise off the coast of Somalia.

I thought my dog, Sammy, would have been excited to have me home for a few days.  Apparently, though, I’ve been cramping her style.  I asked her if she wanted to put down her glass of tequila and go for a walk, but she just growled and turned up the volume on The View.

But at least when I’m home I can make sure she doesn’t hang up on Barack Obama…again.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Barack Obama • Jack Gray • Raw Politics
  1. Jason Artola Los Angeles, Ca

"Ha!....Thats some funny stuff!...Love this blog!...LOL!....Ha!"

December 7, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  2. Hannah Marner

Jack, you have brightened my world after the sad death of my logic board (no, this is not my computer).

You know, next time Anderson calls you, you could try what a former boss of mine once did: he immediately put certain calls on hold to a loop of the Llama Song, every single time they called. (Though that might be considered torture...I'm sorry, Anderson!)

And Presley – what's wrong with color-coded Post-Its?? 🙂

December 6, 2008 at 3:39 am |
  3. Anna, HK

Very funny article!! But your boss (Anderson?) calls you at home? Yikes.... that's depressing......

December 5, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

Jack, you made me smile again. You are so good on this blog.

I had to laugh about the macaroni and cheese; my girls seem to think its the only food in the country that they can eat; they let my tomcat, Oscar Madison, have the tequila. He loves it,slurps it all down, and then parks himself in the hall laying on his back in what we call the "dead cockroach" position and goes immediately unconscious until supper time. Our other cat, Emma, tries to share the mac and cheese with the girls – she usually gets some and then parades around for hours with cheesy whiskers.

Glad you got a few days off – next time Anderson calls take a hint from all the others – hang up on him and then tell him later you thought he was Obama.....

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

December 5, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

So, I'm checking out the AC360 blog and all of a sudden I smell something.......

Smells kind of cheesy.............with a hint of pajamas.......

Oh, Jack Gray blogged today! Yeah!

Well, sounds like you had a relaxing time off. Wish I could say the same thing. However, the work day is over so now it's time for "Tequilla Shot Friday". My limit is 3, cuz if you do 4, it's the floor....and the floor most likely will smell like sweaty pajamas or day old macaroni and cheese! Not sure I'd want to smell that anyways! 🙂

Thanks for the smiles today! Have a great weekend!

December 5, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  6. Tammy, Berwick. LA

After being in Times Square for New Years' Eve last year and staying at a hotel near Rockefeller Plaza amidst the crowds, I agree the cruise ship off of Somalia's coast might be a better bet. The energy was amazing in NYC, but...Think I'll visit in the off season now just to stay a bit less claustrophobic.

Maybe Obama could take lessons from Michael Phelps on handling fame and staying normal. You'd swear Obama had superpowers, a cape, and his own theme song from the expectations people have for him. Mere mortals do often disappoint. And apparently, it's already happening. It's good to win bets early 🙂

I honestly think I'd have to drink myself into a stupor if forced to listen to the incessant whine of The View every day. Of course, morning TV period is enough to make anyone want to drink themselves into a stupor.

Happy weekend. I have to work. Rah!

December 5, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  7. Vicky, Ottawa, ON

Oh, Jack,

Thanks for a good laugh at the end of a crazy week here in Ottawa, Canada. Just when we were feeling kind of smug that we'd accomplished our election 7 weeks ago, in only a few weeks' time, in comparison to the almost 2-year campaign in the US .....We always complain that Canadian politics are so boring! Whatever happened to peace, order, and good government up here! Anyway, think all involved up here need a long time-out to calm down, think about what they've done, and come up with some solutions. I've never seen people so upset about what's happening,– everyone's talking about it and hopping mad! We may end up with another election in January....stay tuned.

Parliament does occur in sessions, so there are periods when Pariliament is not in session, which seems like the government is closed. This particular instance, however, is quite unusual, and some think it sets a dangerous precedent.

December 5, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  8. Natalie from DC

Dear Jack,

I am disappointed I am not the first person to respond to your posts (sad face). The more upsetting reality, however, is that I have now become addicted to your rants. They're one touch news, three parts sarcasism, and a little dose of cynisism mixed in for good measure.

I agree with you about the Obama thing, though. There's was too much coverage of him. It's like:
    BREAKING NEWS: President -elect Barack Obama has just selected a big mac with cheese to be apart of his lunch to dinner transition menu.

Come on...give the guy a break! He's not president yet. Oh, and tell Campbell I was disappointed with her piece about Obama needing to answer the "annoying" questions...I won't get into it. Please refer to my Twitter for that (knickNATS).

The Cananda thing: Say word?!?! (urban expession used to express bewilderment).

Tootles!

December 5, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  9. Candace from Canada

Jack! Your post is just what I needed to read this afternoon!

It totally brightened afternoon!

Yes Canadian Politics are getting a bit on the crazy side.

Well I am not a big fan of any of the contenders, Harper I think is most qualified for the job. I do not believe Jack Layton, Stephan Dione or the Bloc Quebecois should be leading the best country in the world.
    Its a mess.

I still think Canadian politics usually aren't Crazy – but this Coalition Government plan I think is a wee bit on the Crazy Side.

I can just picture how this all came to be – Layton, Dionne and Ducette were probably at the Pub doing shots of Canadian Club Whisky after losing the last election, and then one of them probably came up with the idea of a COUP that they renamed "Coalition Government" and here we are! As us Canadians don't like using harsh words such as coup.

I can totally picture it!

Thanks again Jack for the chuckle this afternoon.
    Did I tell you that it is -31 here in Yellowknife today?
    TGIF

cam_canada 😉

December 5, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  10. hugh ~ california

LOL! Jack, is Sammy a Chihuahua? Stop giving Sammy cheap Joe Cuervo, and get some good reposado! Then Sammy will stop growling. Also, try giving Sammy a chalupa. Aye Dios Mio!

December 5, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  11. Dee from CT

How did you manage a day off? Didn't even have to wash Anderson's car? You're getting some slack my friend. Enjoy it well ... leave Sammy at home with some tequila and mac (skip the cheese) ... you'll be happy skipping along Central Park and she'll be happy at home with her comfort food/drink, a win-win situation. By the way – I don't believe Sammy was watching The View – she'd need something stronger than tequila.

December 5, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  12. Heather

Suzy.. from Alberta. Harper is the leader of a minority government meaning only about 30 per cent voted for him. The majority of elected members are sitting in the proposed coalition, meaning they have the popular vote. If you watched any of the debates, you must have noticed the leaders actually work fairly well together against Harper. It's too bad Elizabeth May lost her seat, the coalition might have had a decent leader.

December 5, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  13. Peg

Harper reminds me of a little kid crying 'if you don't let me win I'm taking my ball and going home" And that is exactly what he did. Wonder how many more people will lose their jobs while he's back home sulking. While the rest of the world's leaders are trying to fix their countries; economy our leader closes up shop.

December 5, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  14. Stacy

Yes, please, LEEEEEAVE OBAMA ALONE!!!! That was my Chris Crocker Britney Spears-esque plea, YouTube video to follow soon.

Oooh, give us a link when it's up. And remember, it's no good without the cringe-inducing crying and excessive eye makeup. ;P

Speaking of Ms. Spears, am I the only one annoyed to find her on the cover of my "Rolling Stone" with the words, "Yes She Can"? Way to tarnish a national rally cry. Bad, "Rolling Stone." Bad! To the corner with them!

December 5, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  15. Missy

Jack, have you tried feeding Sammy?

December 5, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  16. Stacy

Okay, so you made me Google 'Young Jeezy.' I was hoping to make it to 30 before the stark realization of my utter unhipness hit me square in the face, but I guess that dream just died. Oh well. It's okay. I shall embrace my inner dork instead.

Such an obvious punchline, yet I still laughed out loud. There's just something about the Disasta from Alaska...

Don't feel bad about being shunned by Sammy, Jack. My dog gives me no love either. He's not into "The View" though; "Maury" is more his style. According to him, it's how he rolls.

December 5, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  17. Darlene from British Columbia

Bizzarre isn't the word for what is happening in our Canadian politics. We have a minority government. There are 4 basic parties in Canada, plus each riding can have candidates from different parties (eg. in my riding we also had someone who was running for the Communist Party). The big problem is the leaders of all the major parties have big egos and want power. None of the leaders is trying to work together for the good of the country. I imagine if something isn't worked out between now and January 26, we will have another election and we will end up in a similar situation with another minority government. I believe that will be the fourth minority government in a row.

December 5, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  18. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

🙂

December 5, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  19. Presley

You had a day off? I am SHOCKED!
    I didn't think you guys you were allowed to have days off, who polished Anderson's Emmy's, organized his Post Its by color and rewired the Helicopter to pipe in "All the Single Ladies"?????

TGIF Jack.
    XXO♥

December 5, 2008 at 12:42 pm |
  20. Sarah, Indiana

James Taylor/Young Jeezy mix....Love it. The sad part is, I would prob have a cd like that.

Sounds to me like you and Sammy are my kind of people. There's nothin better than mac & Cheese, tequila and The View. I'm not sure that I've had them all at once but I'm willing to try.

Have a great weekend!

December 5, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  21. Teriss

About Canada -Stephen Harper who is a George Bush supporter tried to abolish pay equity for women & minorities, tried to cut off election funds to his opposition parties, and did not have an economic stimulus package for his first order of business after the election.

No wonder the opposition parties proceeded with a non-confidence vote. This guy is a dictator idiot who is trying to obtain absolute power. He convinced the Gov. General to shut down the govt., and this is not democracy.

The Gov. General is just as much responsible for allowing him to continue. When govt. resumes in Jan. (they all have a 2 month vacation now) there will be a non-confidence vote again.

He is a negative force, a divider and a dictator -not what Canadians need in this recession. Harper has no plans for a sustainable economy, nothing to avoid job losses and nothing to offer.

December 5, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  22. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hey dude.....stellar.

Now feel free to go back to your soaps and save me some mac and cheese. No, for that matter, ask Sammy to pass the Tequila, I will bring the smokes and I have my own pajamas.

Um, James Taylor/Young Jeezy mix? Yikes!

Enjoy your time off, Jack. Wait, who is taking care of Anderson while you are gone? Oh God, you didn't leave him to his own devices did ya?

December 5, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  23. EJ (USA)

Then Senator John McCain hung up on Governor Sarah Palin. Palin, of course, immediately called back saying, “John, it’s really me, Sarah, you must have thought it was one of those radio pranksters.” Replied McCain, “No, I knew it was you.”

HA!

December 5, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  24. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

LOL .......... Jack you certainly know how to pick up a person in these times of doom and gloom. Your humor is Right on the Mark ! Happy Holidays Dude ! :-).

December 5, 2008 at 11:45 am |
  25. Suzy - Edmonton, AB

The whole thing with the government up here is insane. As a transplant from the States, it really boggles my mind that Canadians can have an election and then, less than 2 months later, the losing parties can form a coalition to try to throw out everything that people just voted for! And, yeah, apparently it's all legal. I'm sure a lot of Americans would like to have done something similar with Bush, but I don't think it's fair to throw out a government that was JUST elected, without even giving them the chance to really get anything done!

Anyway, maybe you should teach Sammy to read caller ID. Unless she just doesn't care if it's Obama!

December 5, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  26. Lilibeth

P-E Obama is in an interesting position. He’s not inaugurated yet, but he’s expected to act like he is. But I sort of can’t blame the people who are irritated with him. I mean, the incumbent has already “checked out,” a long time ago, actually. I know that he’s trying to be respectful when he says “there’s only one president at a time” and I admire him for that, but the dire situation the country is in requires leadership…now.

I had to laugh about that Florida Congresswoman. Actually, I shouldn’t laugh…it was embarrassing.

That’s bizarre, what’s happening in Canada. My husband and I were talking about that when we were there this past Thanksgiving. He was looking at the local newspaper and said, “Yep! The politics here is kinda crazy too!”

Mac and cheese, huh? That’s one of my favorite comfort foods. I can have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Have a great weekend,
    Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

December 5, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  27. Jenny Ga

EXCELLANT!! If you lose you day job maybe you could go write for Saturday Night Live Jack.

December 5, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Happy Friday. All I can say is this...In the big picture of life, if a dog wants to watch tv, throw back a shot of tequila, have no exercise and stayed glued to the telly, he or she is without question, the top dog of the doghouse. And such is life. Have a great weekend.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

December 5, 2008 at 11:13 am |
  29. Cindy

AWW Jack...you are just WAY too funny! I love reading your posts!!

What do they want Obama to do now? Do they want him to highjack congress and get them working? Hey...that might not be a bad idea!! It seems someone needs to kick them in the rear to get them going!

So they let you off in the middle of the week then make you come back to work on Friday!? What's up with that!? And Jack...PJ's and mac and cheese is a great look on ya! I just hope that you changed before coming in to work. Lord knows we don't want Cooper following in your footsteps. HMM..on second thought maybe we do! LOL You could have a 360 PJ party!

Poor Jack...don't feel too bad about Sammy snipping at ya....if I was watching the View I'd be growling too and needing a few shots of tequila to be able to stomach it. PLEASE get Sammy away from the TV when that mess is on! She'll love you for it in the long run.

Cindy...Ga.