December 3rd, 2008

Morning Buzz: A Miracle Tree

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Today is the Christmas Tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. The owner says the 72-foot tall tree was planted after his parent's used it as their first Christmas tree in 1931. He says it's "the miracle tree" because his late mother always said it would one day be on display at Rockefeller Center.

The family recently saw a blue bird in the tree and they believe the bird was their mother guarding it. Now there's a nice thought to warm our greasy little hearts this morning.

Btw: Am I the only one who feels like summer ended only a short while ago and we are already fully launched into the holiday season? Time flies when you're having fun.

The holidays conjure up images of snow. (some of u reading this probably feel the full effects of winter snow already). Well if u live in Chicago, the city’s mayor said from now on, crews will scale back on plowing at night and on the weekends to avoid paying overtime costs. I guess that’s why all the Governors were hitting P-E Obama up for money yesterday at a meeting in Philly. Get your shovels ready if you live in the Midwest.

Another day, another press conference. Obama announces his nomination of New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson as Commerce Secretary. Some folks have commented that Obama’s picks show he is a ‘closet centrist’.

Conservatives initially feared he would be more radically liberal but his National Security picks seem to indicate a concern for continuity in a time of war and economic crisis. What do you make of his nominations thus far?

We (CNN) caught up w/ Bill Clinton in Asia overnight, in an exclusive interview he said he would have ‘very little’ to do with decisions his wife Hillary will face as Sec of State, and that he would be a helpful sounding board to her, but nothing more.

Clinton said his wife learned she was being considered for the Cabinet post by reading it in the newspaper. Wonder if she spilled her coffee all over the place after reading that particular clip about her future that morning?

We continue to follow the Big 3 automakers again today, and there is also a bond hearing in Chicago for the man charged with killing 3 family members of Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson. William Balfour, who is Hudson's estranged brother-in-law, faces 3 murder counts and a home invasion count. Poor Jennifer, she really captured our admiration when she belted those tunes out in Dream Girls. So much drama to deal with now.

See you at 10pet!

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Joanne, Solvay, NY

My daughter will not allow my grandchildren go believe in Santa. She feels that the "myth" is a lie. I disagree. The lighting of the Rockefeller Center Tree, and our local tree lighting ceremony, this is a season of magic, both spiritually and fantasy-provoking for children and adults alike.

December 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  2. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Penny!
    Its one of my drams in my life ,once to come to New York to see The Chrismas Tree lighting. I always saw New York in summer.
    Happy NEWYORKER to have this Chrismas Tree

December 3, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  3. Jennifer

Cindy: Some of us who have always lived where we are blessed with snow every winter, find it hard to imagine going without it! Today is an absolutely beautiful day! Fresh fallen snow, so bright outside that it hurts the eyes, one is so tempted to go skating down the road! There is nothing like watching children playing in the snow, having them come in with red cheeks asking for hot chocolate and hearing their stories! Winter is a beautiful time of year!

Christmas is also a wonderful time of year! There is nothing like going caroling at the nursing homes and putting smiles on the faces of the dear elderly. Every year I try to give something to almost everyone in my large family. This year is no exception. It is not the amount of the gift, but how much of your heart you give.

Regarding Chicago scaling back on their plowing. . .
    Minnesotans were worried awhile back because that is what we were going to do. Though they did cut cost, the amount of accidents did not rise and I felt just as safe on the roads.

December 3, 2008 at 12:21 pm |
  4. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

What do I think of President-elect Obama's nominations? I think he is brilliant. He has struck a balance choosing well-seasoned people like, Jim Jones and Eric Holder. Even choosing people like, Jones and Gates who do not agree with him! That to me is a sign of wisdom. Even Hillary's nomination is brilliant, she will not be a "yes" person. In these troubled times, the new President will need to have people who will both support and challenge him! BRAVO OBAMA!

I loved the story about the Rockefeller tree! I believe in miracles, and this little story was touching.

December 3, 2008 at 10:46 am |
  5. Annie Kate

Years ago my parents would take us to see the community tree lit downtown. It was a really big deal to us kids because after the tree lighting there was always the Christmas parade with Santa and his reindeer as the last float – it was after that parade that Santa would be at the stores so you could go and discuss what you wanted that year. (The event usually happened around the 10th of December). I thought our tree was beautiful but I am sure the tree at the Rockefeller Center is even more wonderful – it would make a nice shot of the day.

December 3, 2008 at 10:35 am |
  6. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ontario

Season's Greeting to the Staff of 360
    The holiday spirit is is starting to worm it's way into the fray of the day. The Christmas tree lighting is so beautiful and gets everyone in the mood to give a little holiday cheer.It's really sad however with the real meaning of Chirtstmas is over looked by the shopping and matterial side of things. It's going to bleak for a lot of poeple due to the economy and job loses,it's best to just give than to recieve.

Thanks for the buzz
    take care have a great day

December 3, 2008 at 9:48 am |
  7. Cindy

I loved watching the lighting of the Christmas tree when I was little. I thought it was so cool that they would go out and find these huge trees to bring in to decorate for all to enjoy. But then later on I thought it is really a shame! They are killing these huge old trees just for a few weeks of enjoyment. So now I really don't care for it. I hope that they atleast planted a new tree in place of the one that they cut down.

We very rarely get snow here in Georgia so I am not one who likes it all all! I don't see how people can live where it gets several feet thick and stays that way. I'd rather it be warm all year round to tell the truth! LOL

So Hillary learned of her possible SOS consideration the same way that we did huh!? Well guess that shows just how much her and Obama have made up! He didn't even call her or have someone else do it to let her know. I bet they aren't as "tight" as they want people to think. Her being SOS may cause some tense moments between them in the future!

Cindy...Ga.