November 25th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Feeling like the Grinch?

Economic struggles are forcing many to say goodbye to their pets. CNN's John Zarrella reports.

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Loving them and leaving them. And no, I’m not talking about anyone's love life. Apparently, struggling families are dumping their pets because they can’t afford them given these rough economic times. Poor pooches.

There are many human beings suffering of course, but seeing these abandoned doggie’s faces in the John Zarrella pkg was pretty traumatic this morning too. Click on the link to this blog and you can see the report.

Black Friday is just around the corner, the day after we stuff ourselves like the Turkeys we are about to devour. The term is used to reference the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (ie: turning a profit) because everyone and their mother hits the stores to start their holiday shopping (and the day that others are glad online shopping exists and can avoid squishing against other shoppers like sardines in a can).

Are you planning to be more of a Grinch than a Santa this year and cut back on your shopping? Gas prices are down for 69 straight days-so maybe that is softening the blow in the midst of this economic doom and gloom.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson will announce the formation of a program to increase the availability of auto loans, student loans and credit cards. Ali Velshi will tell us what that means for You tonight, as you keep wondering where your bailout is.

President-elect Obama holds his 2nd news conference today in a row. He is expected to unveil Peter Orszag as his nominee for the Office of Management and Budget. This announcement comes a day after he announced his economic team including Tim Geithner as Treasury Sec and Larry Summers as chief of the National Economic council.

Obama also said he would talk about finding cuts in the federal budget to help dig the nation out of the fiscal crisis. We wonder what ‘meaningful cuts and sacrifices’ he is referring to, and our reporter Tom Foreman may check that out today.

See u at 10pet!

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

I think every homeless pet should adopt a neo-con Republican to take care of them. That would bring some of the message of what they have done to us and bring it home directly to some of those Bush/Palin supporters at least.

Actually why not have every 'Free Trade' American Job exporting idiot adopt a jobless American family whnile we'er at it !!!!!!

November 25, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  2. Peace

Happy Thanksgiving ! "Foster care" for pups and assign baby sitters.Little rascals will get a good home. It's all tuned into one giant bail out package.

November 25, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  3. Tammy, Berwick. LA

I already completed a large portion of Christmas shopping. And on Friday, I plan to hit the malls with two of my friends to finish up for the season. This year, I will spend a ton less because I'm not going to New York City for New Year's Eve. However, I haven't cut back on what I spent and plan to spend on presents or on what I gave and plan to give to charities. And from what I saw when I went to donate this morning to the local outreach center, giving seemed to be in full swing. So did being in need. While pets in need are sad, kids and the elderly in need are far worse. It seems Bush and Obama should be working on a plan to spend the billions to help them instead of corporate execs. Then again, why should the normal American matter?

November 25, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  4. Julie San Diego, CA

If you know anyone who is desperate out there and making choices about giving away their pet, many food shelters make attempts to stock dog and cat food, but you usually have to ask. I drop in a bag of dog or cat food when I make a donation to the food shelves. No one should have to go hungry, even pets.

Well, the turkey has gotten his herbal rub and he's sitting in the fridge. On to the pans of stuffing, some of which will go to the local Salvation Army for their dinner. One of the area churches which has traditionally put on a dinner for about 2000 homeless/famiy-less people can not do it this year because their pastor is sick and their donations are down. At this time of year, those of us who have been blessed need to make special efforts to take care of those who have not, as it's clear our government is more concerned about helping Wall Street and Big Business.

November 25, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  5. Odessia Serawop

I think that leaving your pets on the side of the road is way to harsh. I also don't belive in just leaving your pet at a pound they are most likely to die anyway. Why not just give them to a close family member or ask a friend that it how I saved a dog from harms way. So maybe the next time you decide that you no longer want your pooch ask a friend.

As far as black friday I just found out about that yesterday and what can I say I love to shop so bring it on!

November 25, 2008 at 1:10 pm |
  6. Bev

I would starve myself before I would give up my beloved cats. I too hope they are given to no-kill shelters. I NEVER go shopping the day after Thanksgiving – people are maniacs. Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  7. John G. Toth

I have been watching CNN reports CITI MORTwhere they have recieved total 45 billion dollars-I have a mort with them when I telephoned them requesting lower interest rate -they stated that could only be done by refiance-with fees-no-lowering of interest rate-I have never late-I owe less than house is worth-interest rate they offered on refi. 5.75%- WITH LOWER INTEREST OF ONLY 1.25% total saving per month would be less than $150.00 per month on refi. WHERE DO I GET HELP ON INTEREST -IT SOUNDED LIKE IT WOULD HELP PEOPLE LIKE ME-SENIOR-DISABLED,ON SSDI-WHERE DID THE 45 BILL. CITI GOT GO ?-NOT TO HONEST HOME OWNERS-NOT TO LOWER INTEREST RATES??????only to big shots running citi mort-not the people that 45 bil was to help!!!!!

November 25, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  8. GF, Los Angeles

With vendors that I work with losing their job everyday the past 2 weeks, I plan on being a grinch this Christmas. I'm not even donating to the food bank this year. Gas prices are down which is giving me an opportunity to take that money and save it since I was paying double everytime I filled up before.

It's unfortunate animals are being abandoned. People don't plan for anything – finances, animal ownership, etc. Too bad other people and animals have to pay for their lack of planning and responsibility.

November 25, 2008 at 12:36 pm |
  9. Joanne, Syracuse, NY

Animals give and love unconditionally. I would sacrifice my own food to feed mine.

November 25, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  10. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,Tx

Hi Penny,
    Poor little animal companions. As if they haven't suffered enough with all the over breeding and indiscriminate breeding of irresponsible pet owners.
    This only exacerbates the holocast of domestic animals we have created.
    Too bad that people can't keep their pets. They add so much joy and unconditional love to our lives which we desperately need in these difficult times.
    Unfortunately for the pet and the pet owner, not all people feel kindly toward our four legged family members.
    I said it before and I'll say it again, " Until there are none, adopt one!".
    I'd do without food to keep my best friend.
    Thanks for the blog!
    XOXO and (((tail wags))))

November 25, 2008 at 11:47 am |
  11. Teresa, OH

I'm thinking alot of pets are getting dumped as the families have to leave their homes where pets were permitted. If the families have to down-size to an apt., duplex, shelter, refridgerator box it is not feasible to keep their pets. Feeding the family alone isa problem.

Another point is this: I have a diabetic dog. In my area, to give her her meds and the syringes per month costs me just under $45. I dont even spend that much on me personally a month. I feel guilty when I buy these supplies because I know my fellow americans are struggling to feed their families. I wish I had more money to donate to help people in need, but money only goes so far.

@ JOSEPH JIMENEZ: I would love to read your Doctrine: send to : dont-think-so-in-ohio@ hotmail.com

November 25, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  12. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ontario

What a sad story people abandoning thier beloved pooches or cats.
    They are part of the family would anyone dump out a family member beacuse of the money troubles ? I don't think so The black Friday shopping day is crazy I wouldn't even think about lining up at a store at 4am to get the best deals that is just too much for me . I could just wait until after Christmas when a lot of stuff is marked down even more so you can save more money.
    Thanks for the buzz!
    Michelle D.

November 25, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  13. Heather,ca

I would never ever give my cats away. Ever! They are part of my family like children. Ive had them since they were kittens. I would sacrifice for them the same for a child. Whatever the fed is doing its not working. I think there definately needs to some sort of government program for animals being abandoned from this thing. Do animals deserve less than children when both are completely dependent on us adults and defenseless.

November 25, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  14. Joseph Jimenez

The American Doctrine

I’m sick and tired of hearing about the bailouts and the sorrows of mismanaged multi-billion dollar comapanies.
    It would be much more intelligent to give every American taxpayer a stimulus check for $10,000.
    This would ensure the money would be injected directly into the economy. It’s the taxpayers money. Let’s give it back to them. Let the money trickle up, not down.
    Everyday folks would be able to pay their mortgages, which in turn, gives the banks the capital and funding they need.
    Everyday folks can pay down their credit debt, which in turn, helps to stabilize the credit card industry. And for those whom are financially sound, this money could go to making purchases of goods and services. This would in turn help the manufacturing and service industries and gives this economy the oxygen it needs to be able to breath again.
    I have written a Doctrine which covers all aspects of the American Promise. My ideas are simple and practical, and within them there is wisdom and Truth. I will continue corresponding with more articles from the doctrine with great hopes that some of them will come to fruition.

Author Joseph Jimenez

November 25, 2008 at 10:01 am |
  15. Presley

Why Penny, why?, poor wittle animal fwends, now I'm sad.
    I also blame, perhaps, apartments/condos and other dwellings that do not allow pets, I see it more and more in the "For Rent" section.
    People have to down size, pets shouldn't be a part of it.
    Now I'm really sad.
    🙁

November 25, 2008 at 9:57 am |
  16. Stacie Pinto

I truly do not believe that there will be hoards of consumers who will plunk down money for Black Friday sales when the majority of Americans have not received a bailout package to pay for Thanksgiving Day dinner...there won't be too many leftovers that will spill into shopping the following day as a result. And the poor pooches...possibly instead of everyone throwing out scraps they can go to our homeless canine population. This is a S-A-D time in American History...I am hopeful the incoming administration will take charge and place us on a straight and narrow path far away from our current fiscal crisis!

November 25, 2008 at 9:52 am |
  17. earle,florida

Crises mode update: The public is,"Now on the Hook for $6.7 Trillion Dollars", and "Wall Street", wantingly needs your money, c'mon, I know you got change,I hear the clinging......?

November 25, 2008 at 9:47 am |
  18. Rachel

I just can't imagine dumping a pet. They are a member of the family. Usually the poorist of poor take care of a pet. I think it is a lot of frustration on the part of people losing jobs, homes etc. But please don't do that you those poor innocent animals. The depend on people and we can't reduce them into a nothing. When they start destroying the over population due to Humane Societies not being able to keep up I wonder if they'll wonder about their Fido that they offed.

November 25, 2008 at 9:43 am |
  19. Cindy

I think that it is very sad that people have to give up their pets because they can't feed them. I hope that they are giving them to a no kill pound and not just leaving them on the street!

OMG...Friday here after Thanksgiving is a nightmare! No way in heck would I even attempt to get out in that mess. These people get up before the crack of dawn and get out to the stores before they even open. That to me is just stupid. You can get the same deals on the net!

Cindy...Ga.

November 25, 2008 at 9:30 am |
  20. Sergei Daghlovsky

Somebody should start a 'donate your pet to the White House campaign'. That would save the Obama girls a lot of trouble (:

On a more serious note though, I would like to know whether you guys prefer a bi-partisan cabinet which might not work properly together, or a cabinet dominated by democrats wholesomely dedicated to pulling America out of the economic wastebin. I am personally for the latter.

November 25, 2008 at 9:01 am |