November 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/25/08

Want to be a part of tonight's newscast?  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on everything from Obama's latest picks for his administration to the new plan to rescue the U.S. economy and more.

If you're wondering why your comment didn't make the cut. It may be because you didn't follow the rules.  Sure, we know the old saying, "Rules are made to be broken."  But, keep in my mind, we're the cops. So, it make sense to play by our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
4) No curse words

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. bea

Sorry, guys, maybe I am hard hearted. This kid had issues and her parents knew it, which raises yet another matter: giving support to parents so this kind of thing won't happen again.

November 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think most of us agree that David Gergen is a genius!

I'm not sure that they should be able charge this girl with murder. I completely agree with you Bea, maybe they should focus on the parents. Parents need to be held accountable, making sure that they know what their kids are doing online so that they can intervene if necessary.

November 25, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Randi, I don't cook but I help with the dishes, esp on Thanksgiving and no the economy can't wait.

David Gergen "...and pretty soon you are talking about real money..." yes, huge sums of money. Always informative and thought provoking to read your posts and catch your comments in the discussions. Happy Thanksgiving from me too

November 25, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Candace from Canada

@Colleen in Duluth!
    EXACTLY!!

This lady has children of her own – she should know what she did was cruel, and underhanded, and that it could potentially have disasterous consequences!

November 25, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

I am thankful for my family, friends, bloggers and all the crew are having good time thanksgiving this week!

November 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Louise

That poor teenage girl.:( I hope the woman who instigated that abuse gets the maximum punishment allowable by law. It's appalling what she did.

November 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Dulcie - Denver

Randi – I'm thankful that I'll soon have a permanent job. Not in time for the holiday, but I can deal with that. I've been out of work for a year now and it's about time. It's also a great job!

Best wishes to you and yours and all the bloggers for a lovely holiday season!

November 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Eventhough they can't find a crime that fits defrauding Myspace or the behaviors that went on with this young girl's suicide, the influence the internet has on people is getting bigger and bigger. These types of cases aren't going to go away. How about the case where people actually watched and mocked a guy online who committed suicide while live on a cam. Unbelievable.

November 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Cortez

They should at least get the woman on assisted suicide, I think that is illegal.

November 25, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Colleen M., Duluth, Mn.

Megan was a child. An adult who would manipulate a child in that manner needs to be prosecuted. It was cruel . Simply not reading the terms of agreement with My Space is one bogus excuse. It's too bad the legal system hasn't found a mechanism for prosecution per Jeffrey Toobin.

November 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

It scare me most...... I never thought she would try hoax teenager in myspace at all... that is sad for her family!

November 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse NY

No Larry, the "Office of the President Elect" is as bogus as the quasi-Presidential seal Obama tried to get away with in the campaign.

November 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Randi, I'm thankful this Thanksgiving for family and friends. All the money, houses, and material things really don't mean much without people to help us live this big game of life.

November 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Candace from Canada

As an adult, I don't have children – BUT I do know that young teenage girls (or boys for that matter) should not be emotionally toyed with as this lady did online.

Why would any "adult" Pose online like that?

Unforgivable – and YES I think she should be held criminally responsible.
    She did that in hopes of undermining that young girl!

November 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  15. bea

The heart of this myspace story is the low self esteem of young girls today. It's an epidemic, I think.

November 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Dawn from Alaska

I'll watch all the experts figure it out , execute their solutions and keep my fingers crossed. I know it'll take awhile so I won't hold my breath, I'll just remain hopeful. I've had a good feeling about Barack Obama for several years now. I was a 60's activist , fought for women's rights, marched with King, Selma-Montgomery, and went to Nam, etc. Anyway, I have the same optimistic feeling for the future now. Of course, our job is to stay informed, stay active and let them hear our voices. More Palin, oh no! All Alaskans are not for Palin. I suppose another contribution we can make is to keep her here ,like yea, now she's thinking she's presidential. Well, we can let the truth out when anyone needs to know.A very good Thanksgiving to all of you in the Lower 48.

November 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Larry

Is 'Office of the President-Elect' an actual department in the government?

November 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. bea

Soladad, girlfriend, you are not only fantastic at the work, you look great in red too!

November 25, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Bailout=bad idea.

Sarah in Fla......
    Absolutely! You're right!! bailout is bad idea for viewers!

November 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Wendy NC

I fully understand why PE Obama wants to keep Gates on for awhile. He's handling the war fronts as best he can, in spite of Bush, and the economy needs to be the major focus right now. However, when the year is up, I do hope Chuck Hagel takes his place. I'd really like to see Hagel in the administration as a good showing of the true diversity that is being demonstrated by our next president. Go Obama!

November 25, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Shari Thomas

I just don't understand why they don't send the money to us... the one's who need it the most. We'll pay off our credit cards, our automobiles, and even work on paying our mortgages faster...

Oh wait, that will put the big lenders in a bind, because they won't be able to live without the interest we've been paying.

So sorry creditors, I prefer not be a slave to you or the government.

November 25, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  22. randicnn

so with all the bailouts and the economy in the tank.. what are you thankful for this thanksgiving? would love to know.. gotta stay positive even with all the financial doom and gloom... let me know.
    and Bea- thanks for the invite to come over and cook at your house.. trust me, you don't want that!

November 25, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David Gergen wishing us a Happy Thanksgiving Day, does this mean he won't be on tomorrow's show? 🙁

Wishing David a great Turkey Day also....

November 25, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Hellooo David Gergen!!
    Nice see you on blog! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

November 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  25. bea

I have no problem with a bailout that would work. The principle isn't the issue: it's the execution that I doubt. If they couldn't figure out that the last stimulus would not be spent if they excluded the folks with disposable income to spend, and they couldn't figure out that banks, if given money would not increase lending but would spend it on other things, if they couldn't figure out that AIG would still give bonuses, unless told not to, then how can we trust them? In my neighborhood, starting around Jan of this year I knew the economy was in trouble. I saw the dramatic increase in sales which I learned were foreclosures. How can the gov. not have known around then or earlier,. I hope the new "smarts "in Obama's camp will get it right.

November 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  26. David, Indiana

Randi, thanks for the wild turkey trivia. 50mph in flight, not too bad.

I feel that bailouts are not entirely bailouts either part loan part guarantees, Jolene. Ambassador to China will be under a great deal of pressure working under H.C. as Secy of State, but I feel they can work things out insofar as their responsibilities are concerned.

November 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Melinda

Love you all but back to the game at Sprint Center. Thankful and peaceful days off!

November 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Happy Thanksgiving David Gergen. I can't believe that amount of money they are talking about. Billions and Billions. I hope and pray they all know what they are doing.

November 25, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse NY

How about it David G.? How does The Daviid Gergen Show sound? You could get Ed McMahon to be the MC, he could use the work.

November 25, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Sarah in FL

HI Soledad & Randi....

Bailout=bad idea.

I'm not cooking for Thanksgiving, either.

November 25, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Melinda

Hi Randi – I'm in charge of the pumpin pies and that is it!

I find it comforting that Obama is doing these press releases early as our economy is in such a mess now. Rock Chalk!

November 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

David Gergen is brillant......
    I agree with you tooo!!! Vance!

November 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  33. David Gergen

p.s. thanks to the rest of you who wrote in as I was posting... best to you!

November 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Mark

One way to lessen dependence on foreign oil is to lessen need to drive. What would be the cost savings and energy savings if all white collar jobs were performed via the internet virtually? What would it do to transportation challenges if 80 % of people driving or taking public transportation were blue collar workers? Maybe one of the focuses for jobs should not be new roads, but new ways to use Internet capabilities, including education via the internet using virtual classrooms. Then have the main reasons for people to get together to bond socially and enjoy each other.

November 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Vanessa, Silver Spring Maryland

I love David Gergen. He should seriously have his own show.
    Get Well soon Mrs. BB.

November 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse NY

The entire Federal budget for this fiscal year is $2.9 Trillionof which $1.8 trillion is mandatory spending like Medicare, Social security, etc. That leaves only $1.1 trillion left to cut. If the bailouts are $2 trillion, you could cut every dollar of discretionary spending and still need more! Obama's line-by-line review is a joke.

November 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  37. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Good to see you again. These bailouts are probably very necessary to keep the economy from going into free fall, but I sure wish the government would do a better job of helping all of us understand how they will work, how much they will cost, and who will pay the bills.

I started off the day believing that the Fed has already committed over $600 billion in loans (reported by the Washington Post yesterday), that the Treasury got a $700 bill authorization from Congress, and now today the Fed and Treasury together are committing to another $800 billion or so - and that doesn't count the stimulus package that Barack Obama's team is putting together. To paraphrase Senator Ev Dirksen, a hundred billion here, a hundred billion there and pretty soon you are talking about real money - lots of it.

Hey, Bea, thanks for your comments.

And to all of you, a Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  38. bea

No focus on the parents in that my space case. C'mon. Manage the kids. Don't blame someone else.

November 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree Jolene, I think this is one time in our country that everyone needs to work nonstop and together to keep us afloat.

November 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Candace from Canada

@ Vance – you are absolutely right!
    David Gergen is Absolutely Brilliant! 🙂

November 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

I hope Mrs. Bush gets better soon!
    Lori.....
    Me too..... My prayers and thoughts with Barbara Bush....... get well soon.

November 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Dannie Finklea

Due to wasteful spending,what programs will President-elect Obama will have to get rid of to help the hurting ecnomy

November 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Randi: I guess 2 presidents is better than one. It doesn't appear that Bush is stopping Obama from working on his transition so I think that's a good thing. Personally, I don't think the economy can wait til Jan. 20th. but at least it gives Obama time to put together a good team and plans.

November 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  44. walt

the country faces big problem, but the solution is simple. start with the banks: they should be giving a deadline ,to wipe out foreclosure. second: a stimulus package to the midle class, to include 5k toward buying a car.

November 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Candace from Canada

Don't get me wrong, I think Obama and his team are better well equipped to come up with a solution than McCain and the Republicans would have been.

Unfortunately – fixing the economy is a very T A L L order.

November 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. bea

Sorry to cause a stir but will these jobs Obama plans to creat be available to Americans - or will they be undercut with ilegal labor as contractors trying to make a buck hire the very cheapest folks they can.?

November 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Vance

David Gergen is brillant, I would like to see him co-host a show with Fareed Zakaria.

November 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Candace from Canada

Barack Bail Out Bucks, almost sounds like a cheesy Game show.

Seriously – where is the money going to come from.

Bail out Bucks -are they really the best way to go – in the long run?

November 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

And I will go to my sister's house for thanksgiving....... Randi.

November 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  50. lori

I hope Mrs. Bush gets better soon!

November 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |