November 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/25/08

Want to be a part of tonight's newscast?  Just scroll down and share your thoughts on everything from Obama's latest picks for his administration to the new plan to rescue the U.S. economy and more.

If you're wondering why your comment didn't make the cut. It may be because you didn't follow the rules.  Sure, we know the old saying, "Rules are made to be broken."  But, keep in my mind, we're the cops. So, it make sense to play by our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
4) No curse words

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica tonight. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

Why are both Obama and Bush ignoring the fact that millions of American jobs are taken by people here illegally. They want US companies to stop outsourcing overseas, but they are outsourcing here too. An executive order requiring ever person to be checked on E-verify would free up millions of jobs.

November 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

That's encouraging Ali, doing the stimulus at the right time could create years of growth? Is that part of why Paulson is settting the 800B package now?

November 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Doug Cross malaysia

I would like to know why nobody is investigating these CEO's who got us in this mess. Also this guy Paulson who is now involved with fixing this mess, wasn't he working with one of these companies a couple years ago, and wasn't he given a huge pay out when he left

November 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  4. bea

Randi, let someone else do the cooking? Not at my house. Do you want to come over and volunteer?

November 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Ron

I agree with Ken. We need to be teaching our country better fiscal responsibility and the way to do it is to live within our limits at the largest level. We need better educate individuals so that they can understand what the are getting into.

I am torn on exactly how I feel about the bailouts, I know our economy would shatter and we may face the devaluation of the dollar if we weren't doing what we currently are. On the other hand, I knew I could not afford a house three years ago, so I've lived with my parents and rented instead of knowingly getting in over my head in a house I could not afford. I do not want to see the housing market artificially propped up because lots of people have made mistakes.

November 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Randi...... How is Barbara Bush doing? how happened to her? I need information from her.......

November 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David Gergen makes a great point about China being the one holding the majority of our treasury bonds, etc. now. Fareed mentioned the importance of having an Ambassador to China named by Obama. Perhaps that person will have the pressure to maintain a relationship with China over Hillary Clinton's SOS role?

November 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  8. jorge

I think the big cause of the american crissis is the credit as it can happen to Spain. They are getting credit to buy houses and who know if they could afford this in the future. Something similar is going on in South america, everybody wants to get credit to buy houses, and buildings are appearing everywhere.

November 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Jason Matthews

I know this might seem like the simple solution but since it was the corporations and banks that got us into this mess, why use the 800 billion to bail them out. Instead create a stimulus package that gives the american people 100,000 dollars or more depending on need, to get the economy back on tract. People would be able to pay their medical bills and mortages and still have some monies left over to funnel into the stock markets and retail, car and other industies.

November 25, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  10. bea

No question about it, Gergy. Obligations to foreign entities are the risk. They are licking their chops.

November 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Matt R. (Chicago)

Soledad just said that $49 million in farm subsidies is "literally a drop in the bucket." Wha?

November 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  12. randicnn

so it sounds like lots of you are letting someone else do the cooking for thanksgiving this year.. tha'ts what i do too.. easier that way.. but i do always help with the dishes! 🙂
    glad you liked the turkey trivia on the webcast.. they really do sleep in trees. crazy!
    so... does it feel to you like we have 2 presidents these days? or maybe 1 and a half.. Obama is busy holding press conferences ..
    but the economy can't wait, can it???

November 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Jolene.......
    I agree with you.... you're right.. I don't see anyone bailout.....

November 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  14. J Jennings/California

The finacial crisis had me wondering. If they had privatised Social Security the way the Republicans wanted to for years, would it be gone now?

November 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Ashley from Nashville, TN

Okay... I get the 2 trillion dollar investment into the economy to create jobs, loosen credit and stall the recession but.... just because people are working doesn't mean there is growth; the American citizen needs a living wage and job protection.....
    The big three auto-makers will be returning to Washington D.C. in ONE week.... there plan will be the last maker or breaker of national confidence.
    Oh... from bad to worse... we still owe 45 to 55 trillion in debt and its still accumulating interest.

November 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse NY

I don't see them taking a lot of time on these bailouts. Just the opposite. The first one was rushed through with no thought and didn't work.

November 25, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Colleen M., Duluth, Mn.

I'm not too sure that treas secretary Paulson knows what he is doing. Every decision seems to be followed by a never mind..let's do this etc.. I wish there was a constitutional mechanism to allow Obama and his economic team carte blanche to start in before any more damage is done. All this bailout money has me envisioning elves working 24/7 printing monopoly money, which is about how much our currency will be worth.

November 25, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Alexander M Finlay

If anyone thinks that the remedies mention will work by themselves, they are missing one key item. Jobs. I can't spend anything if I don't have a job and I've been out of work since January.

November 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Carlene

We have heard so much about helping the "middle class" and boost the economy. What is going to be done for those on Social Security who have to choose between medicine and food. Those two necessities are beginning to eat all savings.
    Why not another stimulus check to everyone? We might not work but should not be the forgotten people.

November 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Computer still being cantankerous today…. lets hope it stays recovered.
    Same for the economy…. cantankerous and hope for recovery soon!
    Candace......
    I hope so! I am thinking econcomy will be fine and recovery soon.

November 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  21. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Megan Dressler: I don't see it as a bailout anymore, I see it as loans that will eventually get paid back and hopefully help out the taxpayers!

November 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  22. Bridget

Hi Randi,
    I'm thrilled Obama saw the need to keep Gates, someone who knows what's going on and what he's doing in place. I think it says a lot to all of us who are worried about our jobs and saving our homes that everyone Reps. and Dems seem to be willing to work together to get us out of this mess. My sister is doing the turkey cooking:)

November 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  23. David Curry

Let's give president-elect Barack Obama a break! He's dancing as fast as he can. If we keep this up, we'll burn him out in the first year he is in office (which, by the way, has not begun yet) We need to be positive and supportive if we really want a change to happen!

November 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  24. bea

Obama's action was triggered by you David, your comments a week ago! You rock!

November 25, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Jolene and Lorie.......
    I agree with both of you...... keep finger crossed. I don't like bailout either too.

November 25, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Wow Randi: Never thought I'd learn so much about turkeys from the webcast. I'm going to use some of that trivia on Thursday!

November 25, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  27. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Randi, I'll be in the kitchen all day Thursday. I love to cook, but the mountain of dishes to wash after makes one have second thoughts.

November 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

I just wonder when the bailouts end. When do we stop dumping money into banks and start helping regular people? I know we're giving money to banks so they feel comfortable lending again, but I don't see that helping the ailing job market anytime soon, for instance.

November 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  29. bea

I don't understand. The people I know who now have mortgage problems were trying to live beyond their means. Where's the no fault of their own stuff, Ali is mentioning? If your house has gone down in value and you don't need to sell right now just wait it out. But I guess if we bail out the jerks who screwed up wall street, then the little guys have their hands out too. What about rewards for those who managed their assets conservatively?

November 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Candace from Canada

Randi – as a Canadian we celebrated our big Thanksgiving back in October.
    I still think its kind of 'different' that America has 2 big holidays so close together.

You know – why does Canada celebrate Thanksgiving in October – I really should know the answer to that but can not think of it at the moment! 🙂

November 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Randi
    Also, I think Robert Gates is good idea to stay one year of defense secretary......
    Ali Velshi........
    Thanks for information about bailout and stock...... look like mix reaction up and down.......

November 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Randi: Done shopping for Thanksgiving Day, now I'm working on pre-Christmas shopping. Trying to get ahead of the game while I have the money to spend....

November 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse NY

Do those 3 bailouts include money for the Big 3 auto companies, or would that be extra? You want fries with that?

November 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  34. David, Indiana

Hi Soledad, Randi, everyone. These are massive infusions of cash being flooded into the economy. The President elect seems to be under a lot of pressure even as the transition goes forward rapidly. Where does the money for the new plan come from?

November 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Ken

Also How can Obama say we are going to have to make sacrifices when Washington is loosening up the credit markets to again, encourage people to go into debt and spend money they don't have ? Two different messages. I don't get it. Can someone explain this to us? How can you sacrifice and go on a Spending spree?

November 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think it's a very good idea to keep Gates. I'm not thrilled about the billions of bailouts and stimulus, but maybe it won't have to be such a huge amount.

November 25, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Randi......
    I already have shopping for thanksgiving........ I will go to my mom's home........

November 25, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! Ali does a great job at explaining things. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's a good plan and it works!

November 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  39. Candace from Canada

I can just not wrap my head around $700 Billion dollars! Even for a large nation like the US – that is a bit excessive is it not?

November 25, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse NY

OK the 3 bailouts total $2 trillion. Where's Obama going to get it? Say goodbye to tax cuts and universal health care.

November 25, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  41. randicnn

hi everyone..
    Randi Kaye here.. so glad you're with us tonight. AC is off.. but Soledad is in the house.. what's on your mind tonight? Bailout seems to be the word of the day, eh?? what do you think about Obama keeping Gates on the payroll as Secty of Defense? and most importantly.. have you done your turkey shopping yet??? good thing i'm not cookin'! ha!

November 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Roger

You know I feel one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in. Is because we have making credit to easy. An teaching everybody that they can live on credit. People have been spending to much money on credit, instead of waiting until they can afford something.

Those companies that we have to keep bailing out. What are we the tax payers getting in return. Nothing that I can see. All I see is that we paying for those top execs unreal, undesired paychecks.

November 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Ken

It looks like the Washington are reacting to every problem that comes up by throwing money at it? Where is the Plan? They are reacting out of fear, leaving the taxpayers holding the bag. There are Legal ways to deal with some of these problems, Chapter 11 which would not put any Taxpayer money at risk.

November 25, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Candace from Canada

Evening Megan! 🙂

Computer still being cantankerous today.... lets hope it stays recovered.
    Same for the economy.... cantankerous and hope for recovery soon!

November 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Saera El Paso, TX

hello everyone
    continuity in the Pentagon is a good move on Obama's part

November 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Yes, Candace..... I agree with you...... me either......

November 25, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse NY

Keeping Gates is a good move. Maybe between him and Jones, they'll talk sense into Obama about not just bailing on Iraq.

November 25, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Candace from Canada

Sorry to quick there – didnt notice that Randi was filling in for Erica!
    Happy Tuesday Randi! 🙂

November 25, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  49. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Soledad, Erica and Bloggers!

Can you believe that there is only 1 month left until Christmas!!! 🙂

All this talk of financial crisis makes me not want to do any Christmas shopping at all.

November 25, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Hellooo Soledad, Randi and best bloggers......
    Happy Tuesday night.........
    I can't wait to hear Obama in news conference talking about economy today.
    Also, That is so interesting I hear that Robert Gates still same as defense secretary

November 25, 2008 at 10:01 pm |