November 24th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/24/08

Tonight, Anderson is off, Soledad O'Brien is in. The markets rally for a second straight session, cheered by the news that Citigroup received another 20 billion dollars of your money, and President-elect Barack Obama chose his economic team. Does the new team have the solution to the economic crisis? Does Citigroup deserve more money? Tell us what you think about these new developments.

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.
But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.
Here are some of them:
1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name
Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ
Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST
And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA
We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback. After all, without you the viewer, and you the reader, we are working all these hours for nothing.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. elisabeth meier

Cancace, just what I think... it must be terrible, but I think these both together are cool enough and will do it their way....

November 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  2. bea

Actually, Casey, she was pretty demeaning to Hllary but then that worked both ways. Look, these women look out for their husbands. That's what they do. We ought to be asking why America requires them to be dummed down so much.

November 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Aliou FL

Does the new team have the solution to the economic crisis?

Pobably. Is it one that can save me? no!!!

Does Citigroup deserve more money? No, none of the banks deserve the money, neither does the Auto industries.

Tell us what you think about these new developments. people like be with 6 years unemployment, no benefits, because my jobs was shipped shiped abroad, we need a bail out, not the CEOs.

November 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Maureen T

Not only African American women, Fay, black women all over the world!

November 24, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Candace from Canada

I honestly can't believe that they are comparing the shade of Michelle Obama's skin to Halle Berry or Beyonce's!?
    WOW!
    Just when you think we are progressing comments of shades of skin color come up.
    I think she is beautiful!
    Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and color.
    🙂

November 24, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Don, WA

I voted for Barack Obama. I hope Mrs. Obama experiences some true and unselfish growth during her time as a first lady. I think she will. I think maybe she had a right to be a little angry growing up. I believe she'll mold into a true first lady.

November 24, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  7. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Michelle Obama is authentic and not anything like Barbara Bush (the antithesis of class). I'm confident we'll never hear inappropriate, nasty or demeaning comments come out of her mouth (like Barbara Bush).

November 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Lori in IL.......
    I am forward to turkey day this week.......... I can't wait! 🙂

November 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Candace from Canada

Fay & Megan 🙂
    Since all 3 of us are suffering or have suffered "crashes" We should take a trip to Washington!

Leave the private jets at home ladies – we will have to fly economy – but the odds are pretty good that we may get a 'bail out!"

November 24, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Cortez

I blame a good portion of the black tv shows for that stereotype of black women

November 24, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Hannah Marner

@ Candace regarding scrutiny of the Obamas:

I agree with you! I think that would make me have a nervous breakdown! I certainly hope people don't forget that everyone is entitled to privacy in the coming months and years.

November 24, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Miriam from Philly

It is great to see you, Soledad subbing for Anderson tonight.
    I have said from the beginning, it would be cheaper to jump start the economy by giving the $700B to the American people. I'm not sure of the math, but giving $10,00 to each adult taxpayer would stimulate the housing market, the auto industry and the IRS, paying taxes on it.
    It's so simple.
    Regards,
    Miriam Lawson

November 24, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Renee

Afraid of Michelle Obama! Now that is funny! Please!

November 24, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  14. David, Indiana

Pardoning interrogators who may have tortured detainees, that would be controversial.

November 24, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Candace from Canada

It must be so hard for the Obama's to be under such scrutiny in everything they do, or have done.

I really hope that they make the adjustment to the White House without causing them too much stress.
    I could not imagine being under that kind of scrutiny in everything I did.

November 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Why would Martha be up for a Pardon? That makes no sense to me.
    Candance.....
    I agree with you..... No way make no sense to me either!

November 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Fay, CA

African American women are more diverse than the stereotypes would have you believe–Michelle Obama is an example of this. Unfortunately, some of the stereotypes are perpetuated by African American's themselves, such as in the movies and television shows that Tyler Perry puts out.

November 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Hannah Marner

-delicate snort-

This might just be me bring incredibly cynical and unkind (!), but it seems that these last-chance pardons are just another way to get a little more attention. Otherwise, all the focus is on the president-elect, and very little to none on the outgoing president.

November 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Don, WA

The presidential pardon business bothers me just a little bit – (except for the traditional thanksgiving turkey pardon which is tounge-in-cheek). But there should be no other pardons by a president, I don't think. Maybe there could be a public pardon of the president instead.

November 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Dulcie - Denver

No David G., nothing wrong with 'bejesus'. I've had the bejesus scared out of me on a regular basis these days!

November 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  21. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I didn't know that was a slang term that was being used to describe Michelle Obama. How incredibly ignorant.

November 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David, Indiana. Well, I have yet to figure Bush out. He seems like a stubborn man. Maybe he'll decide to go out like a Lion and pardon everyone!

November 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Thank you Mr. Gergen! You explain things so I can understand them! I always enjoy watching you on various CNN shows.

Dominick: President Bush does the pardoning

November 24, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Stacy

Mary Beth, yes, “bejesus” did slip out of my mouth tonight…. was that bad? Wasn’t sure myself after I said it.

I thought it was amusing. I also like when you say "diss." 😛

November 24, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  25. elisabeth meier

Lori, unfortunately we dont have "turkey day" here. 🙁
    But when I think back to this video with Sarah Palin and waht was going on with this poor turkey... I am happy our turkeys will survive next thursday

November 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Candace from Canada

Why would Martha be up for a Pardon? That makes no sense to me.

November 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse NY

David G. I've had the impression that no one really knows how to fix this mess and we are just trying different things to see what works. Is that the fact?

November 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Barbara DeMoss

If they started from the top and went down on bank and auto industry layoffs, they would have fewer people out of work. Treat the CEOs like middle management. Tell them they're fired, don't give them any more money, and give them 30 minutes to leave the building. Then give every one left a promotion. Start with Nardelli. He ran Home Depot into thte ground, then went to Chrysler and did the same. How many bank employees' salaries would it take to equal what the CEO gets a year? That's how many jobs you would save.

November 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Jerry

Soledad O'brien
    Don't you think that instead of President elect O'bama giving taxpayers a stimulas check , that he should give a government vaucher that has to be used for spending only and can not be deposited in a bank or savings institution. My fear is that with the economy in the shape it is in people will stash it away until things get better and this will not spurr the economy. Maybe purchasing shares of stock would be ok else you would have to spend it or it is no good.

Thanks
    Jerry

November 24, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  30. Colleen M., Duluth, Mn.

Economics must be really complicated if so many experts are saying that they don't know where the bottom is....sort of like deep sea diving without a mask or oxygen. Yikes.

Pardon Martha. She did her time.
    It would be a travesty if those who tortured don't even get charged let alone pardoned. I am still sickened by that young soldier from West Virginia who "took the fall" for what was obviously orders that came well above her grade.

November 24, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  31. Lori from IL

David Gergen. - Thanks for your wise counsel. I find it reassuring the way you explain things and I'm always happy to see you on 360.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and is looking forward to "turkey day."

November 24, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Yes, I agree with Toobin. It will be interesting to see if Bush will pardon the 9/11 interrogators.

November 24, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

I am really confused...... Why Bush have pardon all the people before he leaves?

November 24, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  34. elisabeth meier

"bejesus" is a wonderful wordcreation... even I understood it immediately on the other side of the planet

November 24, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  35. David, Indiana

Jolene, do you think Bush will make sensible pardons? Why do controversial pardons happen at the end of presidencies as Jeffery Toobin is saying?

November 24, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  36. bea

Maybe he should pardon all the wall street hacks and then we'd get the truth.

November 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  37. MaryBeth

What? Someone who violated the bald eagle protection act was pardoned? So, does that mean anyone can go out and hurt/kill an bald eagle? Aren't they protected?

November 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Dominick

was that scooter libby pardoned yet?

wasnt that a big story a year back or so?

who pardons? Bush?

or does Eric Holder?

November 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa

Hellooo David Gergen.....
    I am happy see you blog tonight......

My computer is like the economy tonight!
    It keeps on crashing!

Candance......... I agree with you....... I have once too.

November 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  40. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David Gergen, thanks for educating us. I often wonder about the responsibilities all these different councils have. Thanks.

November 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  41. bea

How many votes that LIbby will get pardoned!

November 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  42. MaryBeth

David Gergen: No, it wasn't bad! I like how plainspoken you are. You always say things in a way that I understand them, and I understand "bejesus" perfectly! 🙂

November 24, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  43. bea

The companies have no accountability, no transparency. People rail at lawyers but buddy lawsuits or the threat of them keep companies honest as well. With little regulation, the lawyers disappear and there you have it.

November 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. David, Indiana

A lot of irony in that interview with the kid's mom, anguish though, too.

November 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. elisabeth meier

wow... before I even got who this mother is I thought she is not honest and telling lies.. at least something is wrong there

November 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  46. David Gergen

Hello everyone - good to see you - and Soledad - on tonight!

Mary Beth, yes, "bejesus" did slip out of my mouth tonight.... was that bad? Wasn't sure myself after I said it.

Shane - The Council of Economic Advisers is a group of economists who provide economic data and analysis to the President - and publishes an annual report for the public. Often some rising stars in the economics profession are among them. Council has been around for decades.

The National Economic Council was a creation of Preseident Clinton. Bob Rubin was the first head of it, and the idea was that it should parallel in the economic area what the National Security Council does on foreign affairs. In effect, the Council is made up of top economic Cabinet and White House officials who meet regularly to iron out policy recommendations for the President. As the new head, Larry Summers will potentially have enormous authority (especially behind the scenes) in an Obama White House. Some believe he is being groomed to become Federal Reserve chair in a couple of years.
    Hope this helps, D

November 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Fay, CA

My computer is like the economy tonight!
    It keeps on crashing!

@Candace–I can relate, unfortunately. 🙁

November 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  48. William Courtland

When the government assists a company to install the first rails, it must do so with protection interests for both the public profit and the public standard of living.

Infrastructure cost money, and such is one of a governments many duties required for order, but this does not mean bureaucracy must be created every time.

November 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  49. David

happy Monday everyone. Hi soledad, good to see you.

November 24, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

Jolene, I'm sure Obama is ready to come into office, but with Bush there now, he is better able to make the transition.

November 24, 2008 at 10:28 pm |