November 24th, 2008

Heroes Nominator: "If there was ever someone who deserves this... it is Liz"

Program Note: CNN Heroes received nearly four thousand submissions from 75 countries. A Blue Ribbon Panel selected the Top 10 CNN Heroes for the year, and over 1 million of you voted for your CNN HERO OF THE YEAR

WATCH CNN HEROES: AN ALL-STAR TRIBUTE
A Global Celebration: Thanksgiving Night at 9p ET

____________________________________________________________________

Liz McCartney is dedicated to helping Hurricane Katrina survivors in St. Bernard Parish, a community outside New Orleans.

James Mister
Nominated Liz McCartney | HER STORY

I first met Liz at Camp Hope... The volunteer base camp in Violet Louisiana.

I was volunteering as Camp Chef and a mutual friend introduced us. I had already heard about Liz and Zack and knew that they had given up their comfy lives in D.C. to come back to NOLA and start The St. Bernard Project.

Needless to say I was very impressed and felt honored to meet such a person. To be there and see the dedication and hard work that Liz and her crew put in day after day is truly inspiring.

These people are Saints. They help primarily the poor and the elderly, always treating them with love and compassion. They put the welfare of others before their own. They are largely responsible for me staying 9 months longer than I had planned.

Upon my return to California I noticed the CNN Heroes segment and immediately thought of Liz.

I thought, what a great way to honor Liz & The St.Bernard Project and help to keep New Orleans in the public eye.

I was in no way surprised when I was contacted and told she had been selected. I am really excited that once again people are hearing her story.

If there was ever someone who deserves this recognition it is Liz.

Filed under: CNN Heroes
  1. dino.bennett

How would it be possible to contract Liz McCartney?
    She is a wonderful person who deserves all the help people can support her with.

December 25, 2008 at 7:27 am |
  2. Patricia Purcell

Dear CNN,

Thank you so very much for choosing to invest in the resources necessary to develop the CNN Heroes program. Although I had never previously visited your web-site, I did catch the television program three times over Thanksgiving weekend! And encouraged family and friends to also watch what I described as, "the best two hours of television viewing you will ever see!"

Your program was so inspiring ... something our nation needs so much right now. And it can serve as a catalyst to unite Americans in a common cause of improving situations around us to benefit a greater society.

I was so inspired that I am putting together a team to volunteer for the St. Bernard Parish Program. We are now five strong and growing ... and eager to do our part to help take care of our great country and her citizens.

I will now closely watch and participate in the on-line 2009 Heroes Program.

Thank you, CNN, for bringing this program to life ... it is a gift of inspiration and I applaud you for producing it! Keep up the good work!!

Regards,

~Patricia Purcell

December 5, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  3. DBerry from Alabama

Liz deserves all the praise in the world for the job she is doing.
    She has what all heros have..a great big heart and that's what everyone needs and should have.
    My only negative is: Elizabeth Smart? Are you kidding? How's using this show, watched by millions by the way, to promote her book being a hero? I'm sorry, but seeing that was like trying to rub my cat backwards. What a joke.

November 30, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  4. John Newton

My name is Sheron

I did not read the story of Liz Mcartney before
    I placed my voted
    but she is a true hero
    One who thinks of others first
    May God bless her
    I did not vote for her but she gets a shared
    vote from my heart
    Sheron Cain

November 29, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  5. M.J.Fletcher

Saw the show on Thanksgiving night. Really great, not too emotional and weepy, but very, very moving.
    Wished I had $100,00. for each other Hero nominated.
    Go for it.

November 29, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  6. Fred from NYC

I watched this show with tears of joy and joy for the beauty of the human love and kindness we are all capable of. We see this every day all over the world, it is a natural instinct for many of us. These people are remarkable, beyond spirituality and religion, they are the gift to all of us.
    I complement CNN and all the contributors present for giving us a gift for Thanksgiving !!
    But, Why did CNN have to make it into a reality tv show, with the Hero of the Year award !!! How can anyone differentiate or should !!
    Each of these 10 are to me, as well as the countless all over the world, Hero's for eternity !!

November 29, 2008 at 8:01 am |
  7. Paula Smith

We watched some last night and some tonite. What a wonderful breath of fresh air. Thank you , thank you Anderson Cooper for putting emphasis on such wonderful service of these heros. It does inspire.

November 29, 2008 at 2:01 am |
  8. Anna Rayne-Levi

Dear Anderson Cooper & CNN staff,

You have created a gem of human sparkles. I want to show this to my family practice residents and to the children in Santa Fe, New Mexico and to my patients at a community health center (with 17,000 indigent patients).
    How can I get this awesome ouvre/obra on DVD.
    I am in awe and in tears.

With deepest gratitude,

Anna Rayne-Levi
    La Familia Medical Center
    Santa Fe, New Mexico

November 28, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  9. Erika Flahiff-McLeod

I watched the hero shows CNN produced and I wept. I had to watch over and over again. I hope the future can be brighter with the kindness of others all over the world. We are here on it together so lets all start working for the good of all. In my life I have learned that suffering only leads to you to stop suffering. If a meesage of goodness that exists within each and every person does it then I am very happy. Thank you.
    P.S.
    I don't have dial internet service anymore. I am using the computer at the library. I don't get into town much to check my brand new gmail account. If you wish to contact me for the things I have written about the fastest way is to call me. Cell# 249-8048

November 28, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  10. Bill Couzens

With our focus on giving thanks

I wonder how some people do give thanks...

Especially those individuals and families facing great loss-

How do they see light in darkness?

Either through sickness or monetary devastation or both.

So many today are facing really tough times...
    I am amazed they are able to give focus to Thanksgiving.
    Yet in every situation where I am personally aware-of great loss-

The focus for thanks seemingly is on the filled places in each of their hearts-and not the empty places.

Giving Thanks for those in which they travel this journey–no matter how many turns the road may hold.

I am grateful to the strong people I encounter everyday who have shown me how to look to those filled spaces-not the empty ones.

But also for the CNN Heros –as they too are the light providers.

Bill Couzens Founder Less Cancer