November 18th, 2008

Obama followed his own advice and shattered all racial barriers

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg]
Errol Lewis
Daily News

America still finds herself bowled over by the dazzling newness of Barack Obama — his youth, his unusual personal story, the way his ascent to the White House shatters racial barriers.

But the man elected to be the 44th President of the United States also radiates qualities as old as America itself. Obama’s two memoirs describe the same kind of personal and political search for meaning that led 17th century Puritans on a journey into the wilderness, trying to build a New Jerusalem pleasing in the eyes of God and a beacon to a troubled world.

“What went ye out into the wilderness to see?” is the divine riddle the Puritans pondered and burned into our political culture.

Read more...

Filed under: Barack Obama • Raw Politics
  1. Katharine Gaylord

I would agree with Annie Kate from Alabama. That throughout the campaign Obama filled the people hearts with hope and faith in their government and country. A feeling that was desperately needed by the Americans. I believe that he will bring the change that he so strongly advocated for, for the first time in my life i have faith in a politician. I will no doubt not agree with every decision that he makes, but we the public must remember that we are not previewed to a certain amount of information and therefore do not have all the variables needed to be able to make the decision.

I think that even though the world is filled with hope and enthusiasm, Barack Obama is just a man and that he needs the support of us, Americans as well as Congress.

November 18, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Our country has entered a new era of youthful exploration of technology, science and math. The sooner we all learn to get on with the program, forget about whatever barriors one may have, we will all prosper. The future of our country is not over, it's just beginning and I am excited for my children and grandchildren.

November 18, 2008 at 1:17 pm |
  3. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

I agree with Annie Kate. It was my first impression of President-elect Obama as inspriign that same kind of hope in the humane and just nature of Americans that first drew me toward his campaign. These were similar themes of the FDR JFK and Reagan campaigns as well.

To be honest I never really got that feeling from Bill Clinton or either of the Bush's. I truly view President-elect Obama as one of US. A Main Stream American. Not a neo-con or a racist or a Red Neck or a left wing socialist as his enemies so ignorantly proclaim but just one of US Middle Americans who is just plain fed up with the extremes that foster hatred and divisivness. I have every confidence Mr. Obama will act with good common sense and not religious dogma, or crap kickin' country and western like idiodic dogmatic hatred simplisiticly 'cloaked' as 'flag waving patriotism'. He will speak intellegently and act with firm and reasoned purpose for us all. I believe we will have every right to proud of our new Preisdent. He will enter the world stage as a true Class Act after eight years of utter nonsense and down right stupidity in the form of G W Bush/Sarah Palin and company's moronic Herbert Hoover 'let the markets control themselves' economic and neo-con christian right wing dogma.

You know McCain just might actually have stood a chance at becoming President if he didn't shoot himself in the foot with the Palin crowd.

November 18, 2008 at 1:09 pm |
  4. chuck

Barack Obama's campaign was never on RACE,it was on FACTS TO REBUILD THE COUNTRY.

November 18, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  5. Joanne, Syracuse, NY

Barrack Obama is the leader that we need. However, if he backs the bailout of GM and the 3 major automakers, I will be sorely disappointed. I know he has said he wants this bailout. However, he is not the president ...yet.

November 18, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  6. Sharon Kitchen

stated very well...Annie Kate.

November 18, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  7. Jackie in Dallas

Larry, his personal story is already released. He's written two books about it. And even without reading either of them, enough came up during the campaign that you should know his personal story is "unusual". Mother white, father black and they met in Hawaii. Father took a powder, leaving Mom high and dry. Her parents took daughter and grandson in. Mom dies, grandmother raises grandson. Educated in schools across the globe. Went to Columbia University, then took an an advanced degree in Constitutional Law at Harvard. First black president of the Harvard Law review....want me to go on? How usual is THAT story?

November 18, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  8. Larry

If he's gonna be compared to JFK then you may as well tie him to Chicago's version of the Genovese crime family that got JFK elected, with thanks to Frank Sinatra. Also, JFK & Marilyn Monroe didn't care what Jackie thought about their romps in the hay. Quite the legacy indeed.

November 18, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  9. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Well said, Mr. Lewis. One of the reasons I was drawn to Barack Obama, is his attitude of hope. He inspires rather than incites fear or division. President-elect Obama has a long hard road ahead. The problems he faces are monumental! But he has the right attitude. As a Christian, I am person of hope, without hope you can not be a true follower of Christ!

The Republicans have nearly destroyed our Nation, bankrupted us, and left a legacy of enormous debt! Not to mention the hate,lies, fear and division they have spewed! I am grateful that God has blessed our Nation, with a gracious, wise and brilliant leader!

November 18, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  10. Annie Kate

In his campaign Obama struck a chord in the nation that I had not seen since JFK – one of hope, one of striving to do the best and be the best, one to face the hard problems with a positive attitude and in cooperation with our allies and our opponents. He opened up that place again where having a dream and helping others and being idealistic is not something only the young and naive do but that all ages can do. For the country's sake I hope he is wildly successful.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 18, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  11. xtina, chicago IL

As long as Barack Obama follows the advice of one of his mentors -Ronald Reagan and adheres to the policy that "government is not the solution to our problems", he will be on the right path

November 18, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  12. Larry

Would be nice if he ever releases his 'unusual personal story'.

November 18, 2008 at 9:40 am |