November 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/14/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Hi all! Here's your chance to be a part of tonight's AC360°.

Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines starting at 10pm ET.

But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name

Check out the Evening Buzz for the scoop on some of the stories we're following tonight LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Karen (CRR)

Good evening Anderson. Listen to David G–way to go. He is telling it straight. This would be an absolutely astounding move for Obama and I have been an Obama supporter from the get go. But, Hilary would be an excellent choice. That said, I also have the urge to issue the voice of contarian and say that although Obama's position for the ALL STAR cabinet is admirable but let's all step back and use caution. We do not want to end up with a group that will not work together but want to showboat. We do not need an NBA mentality in a White House Cabinet. There is more on the line than a championship.

November 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

I love HC, she bowls me over, sends me sky high, never met someone who expresses herself as she does, fair minded, knowledgable, turns me on

November 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Heather - Spokane, WA

What is with all of the bailouts? First the banks, now the auto companies. The way this is going, I dont think anyone will be getting their tax returns.

November 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

If they bailout the big 3, two conditions should apply: No one gets paid more than their Japanese counterparts from CEO to union workers; and raise mileage requirements to 30 MPG.

November 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Bonnie, Santa Barbara, CA

@Erica, they got the kids & dog out and took them down to a friend in Santa Barbara proper and by the time the got back the baracades were up and they were not allowed to go in and get anything. A friend on the street who is a police officer was able to get into their house and grab some things from the office which had all their important papers – but nothing else. It's so sad. We're to far away to help, but are sending some clothing and food down to them thru our local fire dept. that is on it's way to help fight the fires. It's so sad that this happened the day AFTER the state let all the Cal Fire folks go because fire season is officially over.

November 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Jermaine (NJ)

Is Government bailout now the new welfare? Who is balancing the companies accounting books???

Ali explains this very clearly and it doesn't sound good. TIghten your belts bloggers this is going to be a very thin holiday spending season.

Paulson/Bush has failed us!!

November 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

We need to stop messing around with the free-market system. Why can't automakers file for Chapter 11? Why is no one discussing the logical options?

November 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These bailouts without provisons started a slippery slope for handouts.

November 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Theresa

I think Hillary would be great working with Obama's administration and fighting for affordable healthcare for all, equal rights for gays, immigration reform, etc. Once our nation finally ensures equal rights for all which seems so simple, we can better focus on the bigger issues that need to be tackled. As a black man and woman respectively, Obama and Hillary are the faces that our international neighbors need to see to repair the damage done by the Bush administration. I do wonder if Hillary could get more accomplished by maintaining her senate seat though. Anderson can you explain what happens when a seat becomes available, as in Obama's and maybe Hillary's.

November 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  10. kathy nc

if we have to bail out the auto industry, there should be a condition, that all jobs are kept here in the USA. with americian workers.

November 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Jay Memphis, Tn

The automakers should start giving deals on their vehicles, like buy one get one free.

November 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  12. April, Cullowhee, NC

Okay, talking about money...my state is asking for 4% already given to schools to be given back to the state. Not to mention teacher bonuses basedon test scores were reduced. How can anyone think that all of these bail outs really help the economy. Giving car companies money doesn't make me want to, nor be able to afford, a new car!

November 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Renee

Bush bailed out the white collar people now Obama will bail out the blue collar.

November 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

That is so awful sight for 3 cities have problem bailout!!! that is so outrage who haven't pay taxes!

November 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Tom

I am now of the belief that we may have the best President of the United we have ever seen in our History. This man has shown how confident he is in himself however he does not let his ego get in the way. He truly knows how to bring all his friends and foes together and shows it not by his talk but by his actions. I am beginning to believe that he is definitely the only person who can bring us out of these perilous times. His two greatest gifts are he is a listener and an inspirational motivater by his gift of oration.

Also as a business owner he makes me want to be more like him.

November 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Ken

If she does accept, Bill Richardson should not accept some lesser position like Secy. of the Interior. All Cabinet posts are important, but I kind of think that it would be going backward for him. Kerry and Richardson were behind him when it wasn't in vogue. Some way to repay loyalty.

November 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Dwayne Meisner

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I have watched the election process in the US more than I did our own election, here in Canada in October. I knew from day one that Obama was going to win. I also knew that he would never pick Hilary Clinton to be his VP running mate. I did, however, about a month ago, say to my wife: "If Obama is elected, he should pick Hilary as his Secretary of State". Looks like my prediction may be correct. My vote doesn't count, however...
    GO OBAMA!
    It's the old adage... What's good for the goose is good for the gander...
    Translation: If the US does well economically, militarily, etc, so does the rest of the world that plays the same game.... (DEMOCRACY). If you are running a company, you should pick the best people to work fo you. Unfortuantly, there are many companies with too many people making way too much money for the little to nothing they do... including running the comapny into banruptcy. Government should run the same way as a small business owner does it.

November 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Curtis, California

I'd like to speak to the cities as well. Me to the cities looking for $: DROP DEAD! Ditto for states, and the auto manufacturers.

November 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Jacqui Chan

I didn't see them as being more apposed to each other than many other politicians fighting for the same gig. Besides McCain and Obama were both asked during a debate if they would consider having one another on staff if he were to win, now that would b surprising after the horrible implications that McCain made about Obama

November 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  20. elisabeth meier

Hi Anderson, nobody can say howmany jobs will get lost, because this is a chainreaction all over the globe. I mean you bail out your auto-industrie we have to bail out ours, but what if that wouldnt bring the desired/expected effect??

November 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Renee Y

Hi AC, I here alot of questioning about change when it comes to the people Obama is selecting for his cabinet. Change does not always have to be new faces, but maybe a better perspective and approach to governing this wonderful country. I believe that is the change we will see with Obama and will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

November 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Jay Memphis, Tn

All these companies want bail outs, but they do not lower their prices or give us breaks.

November 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Ingrid from Northern VA

No, Please...not Bill Ayers.....why can't we let that go....

November 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Joseph McCormick

I do not agree that Obama dissed Hilary for VP. I think he realized that Sec of State is a much bigger job and that is what he had in mind for Hilary all along. He is well ahead of most of us.

November 14, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Daniel

I just want to throw it out there...seems like Obama is eliminating rivals for 2012 election :)....that might be the other way of looking at it...he already has Joe Biden, Bill Richardson had already endorsed him and he might be considered for a position....and now Hillary...

November 14, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  26. kim-chicago

Obama, Biden, Emanuel, Clinton/Clinton...these are some pretty strong personalities already...this could be very interesting.

November 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Madonna williams

President elect Obama should chose the best person for the positions of Secretary of state. Senator Hilary Clinton would enhance the administration, no question. That is cosmetic. He should be looking for dedication to this president issues effiicency and even tempered.

November 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Jane

Why did they have to leak this? to gauge the public response, or they just cant keep a secret? They did the same for the chief of staff even before the election. Talk of loyalty!

November 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Naki Stevens

Hi Anderson – I was an Obama Delegate from Washington State at the Denver Convention, and I was so thrilled at how classy she was there and then during the general election campaign – she will make a great Secretary of State, and it will be a whole lot more challenging and exciting for her than being in the Senate. I think Obama is being very smart here.
    Naki

November 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Melinda

I am hoping that Clinton and Obama are not rivals anymore. That would send an excellent message to the country and world.

November 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Mike, Syracuse NY

David Gergen, a good question for you. Any quid pro quo here for all her work in the campaign?

November 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Grace

If you've ever hired someone for a position, you know you always speak to your first choice before anyone else, to make sure they want the job, then you speak to the runners-up. I bet Hillary has got the job– if she wants it and I think she will– and I bet Bill Richardson will be offered something else that will be prestigious and which he'll be well suited for.

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, Obama is all about unity so it doesn't surprise me that he's meeting with McCain then.

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Lauren, SoCal

Bill Richardson also has great experience with hostage negotiations. Being married to the President is not foreigh policy experience. BIll Richardson has real experience with foreigh leaders and he delivered the hispanic vote 70 to 30 in some states. Many hispanic leaders who supported Obama had the impression that Bill Richardson would be Secretary of State. It would be a slap in the face if Bill Richardson was not picked for the job.

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Vanessa

Hi Anderson, I love Hilary Clinton. I respect her tremendously. I was disappointed when Obama did not select her as VP. She calmed me when she spoke at the DNC. He brought respect when he spoke later that week. I would love to see them work together. Their views were very close and the differences could be worked out.
    It would be an honor for the country if she just said "YES". What a great marriage, the ultimate love/hate relationship. They are the perfect match.
    By the way I am an African American, 52 years young, and was not going to vote for anyone other than Hilary. I am glad she made the point that it was not about her, but the country. At the time I did not think Obama was ready. Now, I trust his instinks and if he says he wants her, then we all should.

Thanks
    Go Hilary! Say "YES"

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Dexter Sterling

I do hope that Clinton does take (if it is offered) the job as S. of State. This would show the united effort that the Democrates would be and it could then show the GOP that its the country that is more important and not the one side against the other.

This is not the time for dividing the country in poloticts and its more important to have a united front with all the problems that the USA now have and will have for a few years.

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Bonnie of Santa Barbara, sorry to hear of your families loss. My sister and friends homes are safe so far. We've had so many fires the last few years in Santa Barbara county, but this amount of homes is heartbreaking.

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  38. James Muehle, Gorham, Maine

i like Hilary as Secretary of State.. Great fit!!
    She's got the chops...reminds me a lot of Madam Albright!! Straight shooter.. get'r done type of personality!! Go Hilary!! I am a huge Barak Supporter..and if he thinks she is the right person for the job...so do I.

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Leo F. Collins Dayton, Ohio

Hilary Clinton would, in my opinion, oppose the wishes of the president elect, in having talks with our foreign enemy leaders, on a no pre-condition basis. Such an appointment may result in a no change foreign policy which has not worked in our favor in the past. Let's talk with our enemies, in that fashion we may be able to determine and understand their goals and objectives.

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Elizabeth

Hillary Clinton would have been the greatest president America ever had, I am curious, very curious - I always admired the Clintons - and I know they would have been able to fix the current mess America is in...lets see what happens

November 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  41. janice robertson

I don't think it is a good idea, how can someone who lies about her international experiences – would be a good American representative. I think Obama should talk with Rice to see if she would consider stay in her role. I know that she is a Republican – but she does have the true international experiences and has the ability to continue the work. I think that she has the ability make the shift that would be required.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Rachel

I was once interviewed and asked as a manager, what was most important to me in building my staff: loyalty or competence. I replied competence. I suspect Mr. Obama is looking for competence. Old administrations, age, party affiliation, parrots of thought, etc. do not matter – competence is the key to successful management.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Mike Biasin from Wells Maine

On the other hand if clinton gets in as sos that would mean a democratic seat in the senate would be up for grabs and a republican might be able to snatch it and the dems would have 56 :-B

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Melinda

I think that we will have change, regardless. Obama is picking those with the brightest minds and most experience.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Bonnie, Santa Barbara, CA
    My hearts goes to you!!!! I hope you will be alright in California...... I am praying you and your neighbors.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Patrick Colemant, Brussels, Belgium

It is 3 am in Brussels... and we would feel very comfortable to take a call from Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State for President Barack Obama when an international crisis emerges!

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  47. ericacnn

Bonnie, I'm relieved that your sister and her family are safe. I can't imagine what tomorrow will be like for them. My heart goes out to them.

Do you know how much time were they given to evacuate?

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Christian

From the rumors I hear in my area is that it is going to be Richardson. They also said Kerry would be better because he knows more languages than Clinton. Why wouldn't Obama pick her, this way he can keep her underwraps and be closer to him. And not worry so much is he runs again with her against him.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Kimberly Stein

*Sorry, I wrote 'Chief of Staff' instead of 'Secretary of State'

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Jermaine (NJ)

Team of Rivals: the political Genius of Abraham Lincoln......Excellent book. Obama is definitley reading this book.
    He is gathering the best and brightest but those like McCain and Clinton who could be rivals. This keeps it fresh and exciting in the White House

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |