November 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/14/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Hi all! Here's your chance to be a part of tonight's AC360°.

Just scroll down and share your thoughts on the headlines starting at 10pm ET.

But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name

Check out the Evening Buzz for the scoop on some of the stories we're following tonight LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. MaryBeth

So, maybe McCain for Dept. of Veteran Affairs...Richardson for Housing and Urban Development...and Dick Lugar and a couple of other Republicans that like Obama.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Kerri-Lee

Hey Anderson. Great topic for tonight's show. I think that Hillary would make a great Secretary of State. She is a strong individual who has a lot to offer. We were introduced to the real HIllary Clinton when she was running for president. She is an exceptional person. I think that she would be a very powerful asset to the administration.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Mary Lou

Although I think that Hillary Clinton would make a great Secretary of State, I would miss having her as our Senator from New York. I'd like to see her fill the next opening on the Supreme Court. She has an excellent legal mind.

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, That is what I was talking about and it is significant no matter what your panelist says!

November 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Clyde

How 'bout John McCain as Secretary of State? We know Obama is going to put Republicans in his administration. After all, McCain thinks he's got great experience in foreign affairs.

November 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  6. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Only in politics can two people insult the heck out of each other and then end up joining forces later. You have to admit, that is quite unique.

Like most of you. I feel certain that Obama will find a suitable place for HRC. She has a lot to offer, and he is a person of great intelligence. He surely will not let her go to waste.

November 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  7. April, Cullowhee, NC

Hillary would be GREAT as sec. of state but wouldn't that limit her political career to one or two (hopefully two) terms?
    Plus, I think she will be gutsy enough to speak up instead of being a "yes, man or woman" so to speak.

November 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  8. Dan from MN

Of course she'll be a great secretary of state Robert/Heather, she was former first lady, senator of NY, candidate for presidency, she's one of the best "political fighters"

November 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Dulcie - Denver

I think Hilary is an excellent choice for Sec. of State. She's got the experience and gravitas necessary for the role. Barak Obama is showing a lot of wisdom and professionalism in his choices.

November 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Kimberly Stein

I understand that Obama's choice of Chief of Staff is important, but why are you still focusing on this Clinton rumor? Nothing has been decided, yet.You could be using this time to talk about something that has actually happened, instead of something that might potentially happen.

November 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Renee

If Hill takes SOS, will Obama pay off all her campaign debts?

November 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Jason from upstate NY

Good evening everyone,

I'm fron NY. New York would be losing a great person. However, Our Country would be gaining a wonderful Secretay of State.

November 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Ivanka, Croatia

Obama respects Hillary I think.

November 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  14. Betty Sutton

This is not a wise choice-Hillary Clinton as Sec. of State. She and Bill have had their time in office and the country does not need the appearance of the "two for one" again. There are aother extremely qualified people for this job and Obama should make another choice. Her methods of diplomacy are totally different from those of Obama and she cannot be trusted. This was evident in the debates.

15. david, Lorain, OH

Hey Anderson couldn't Bill Richardson be considered for energy secretary, rather than thinking he is runner up to Hillary for secretary of state?

16. davidp

There's tremendous good will towards Hillary outside America, as there is good will towards Obama himself. I think that appointing Hillary would be a hugely positive gesture of confidence and unity after the contest during the primaries. It would establish a vast credit balance of hope and optimism for the US at the beginning of this administration after the detested old one. Seal the deal! He should offer it and she should accept.

17. Julianna Koster

I think the choice of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of the State by President-Elect Obama is a genius one. Hillary Clinton would be an absolute asset to the Obama team; she would do an excellent job of repairing our image around the world. She's the perfect person to pickup the phone when it rings at 3 am.

18. Vig

Obama is cerebral – he thinks through everything and he knows his strengths and limitations – so, Hillary was thought through because maybe she hit the nail on the head when she called him naive. I also think his ego is framing the Abe Lincoln model to his advantage as if he is so great as to be the same as Lincoln. My take is that he knows he's weak – come on, 2 years in the Senate, a very thin resume, no real experience leading – he knows he's no Abe Lincoln. Hillary is the smart choice.

19. Jorge Perú

I Believe H. Clinton will be good in any possition in Obama Gov.

20. MaryBeth

Mike: Thanx! I went to whitehouse.gov. They have the whole list there. 🙂

21. Jeremiah Tacoma, WA

i have a question who thinks she doesnt get it or will do a good job
    we all agree she will and will

22. David Jenkins

I think it is very intriguing for Hillary to become the Secretary of State as it positions her with strength to succeed him as president. They really can be a dream team; not in terms of any sort of selfish desires or beefing-up their resumes, but rather thinking of us...the American people. If they can do this they can go down in history as the leaders that saved our democracy on many fronts.

23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

All the stuff that happened on the campaign trail is typical campaign rhetoric. There's nothing to worry about relative to the Obama/Clinton relationship.

24. CAROLYN JONES

seeing that clip it would be ironic if he did seen her to talk to our enemies, wow a revalation huh?

25. Joanne, Solvay, NY

For the forward-looking President Elect, does the past really matter? Isn't this simply a choice for strength and knowledge?

Hillary Clinton has a strong resume .

26. Chris

Hi Anderson. Please ask your pannel where Colin Powell fits it on the Obama's cabinet? I think it's terrific that Hillary is considering the position and I hope she takes it!

27. Minou, New York City

MaryBeth: the cabinet consists of many posts. here are some:
    State
    Treasury
    Defense
    Homeland Security
    Justice
    Interior
    Agriculture
    Commerce
    Education
    Energy
    Health Service

ps: there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers 🙂

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  28. Susan Ferrante

Why belabor past history–President Elect Obama has made a superior decision in offering Hilliary Clinton the Secretary of State position. It is time to change the world and Obama and H. Clinton would be a great team.

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Ingrid from Northern VA

Why do you guys keep focusing on all the negative clips during the primaries??? Hillary did a fantastic job and did over 70 rallies around the US for Obama....They have moved on...why can't the media? I love this show but dislike regurgitating the negative past...

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Renee

MaryBeth, the President has 15 cabinet members. Check wikipedia and they have all of them list. Sec of State, Treasury and Defense will be the most important in the coming years.

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone blogging. Man what a Friday. The job is open to Hillary, I'm sure. My feeling is that even couples argue. The back and forth between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton has helped them both, you have to be honest with each other. Certainly it prepared Barack Obama to run against John McCain. My question is what next, how to proceed?

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Ivanka, Croatia

Hillary would be a great Democratic successor of such tough lady as Madeleine Albright was when she was Secretary of State. Not happy with her politics in the Balkans, but she was great in a-most-men world. Obama respects her I think.

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Leone Reeder

Hillary would be a brilliant choice bringing instant international gravitas to the Obama team....

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Diane - IL

After the Clintons began campaigning for Obama, I wondered if Obama made some kind of deal with Hillary to include her as part of his cabinet. I never thought it would be for Sec. of State.

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  35. Linda, Sunny Isles Beach, FL

Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State is a Fantastic choice! I feel better about this than Hillary Clinton as President.

November 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Jack - D.C.

As far as the headlines. i dont care who Obama hires for the job, as long as he gets the job done. on a seperate note, Erica, i know the pain. ive worked every weekend for the past 4 years. It blows.

37. Debbi

Love the idea and I think she'll take it.

38. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    I lived in New Mexico during the Clinton years in the White House–either Bill Richardson or Hillary Clinton would be a great choice for Secretary of State.

39. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I'm still thinking that Obama will put a Republican in his cabinet.

40. Tom K Frankfort NY

I think she will accept the position for Secretary of State. It keeps her
    in a position of prominence and look at her resume; First Lady, Senator and now Secretary of State....only thing missing is...and 2016
    is not inconceivable

41. ann

Please, no more Hillary–! No more Madeline Albright! Remember
    Iraq ? She did that for future votes, she just craves the spotlight and
    he can't trust her.

42. linda in california

I think Clinton is a great pick for sec of state. She could help obama more in that position than in trying to be a star in the sentate.

43. April, Cullowhee, NC

I must say, I have NEVER been so excited about presidential cabinet appointments. (I started voting in the Clinton/Gore first term).

44. Jacqui Chan

almost all candidates talk "crap' about each other during the primaries it's part of good old politics

45. Janet

Hillary Clinton as Sec. of State is a horrible idea. As an Obama supporter, I am offended. I didn't think the campaign was about bringing on a 3rd Clinton administration and wonder where is the CHANGE upon he campaigned. Here we go with FOUR more years of Billary and their histrionics. The country and the world were hoping for a new day!!.

To use a word that Obama seemed to have liked during the campaign...I guess his voters were the ones who were "bamboozled."

46. John Hayner

I think either Hillary Clinton or Bill Richardson would be admirable choices for Secretary of State! I would hope that regardless of the cabinet position, both of these persons, who have such remarkable
    credentials, would become an integral part of Obama's foreign policy team.

47. Wendy Grant, Olney MD

If Senator Clinton does accept the Secretary of State position, can President Bill Clinton serve out her senate term? I'm not saying that he will. I just want to know if it could be done.

48. Diane Smith(TN)

I think that Gov.Richardson should be energy Czar or Sec. of Energy.
    He's got good ideas and experience in this field & others too...smart man and loyal.

49. Bonnie, Santa Barbara, CA

My sister and her family lost their home in the Santa Barbara fire. They live in Montecito. Right now, per the firemen all that is standing is their detached garage. They are being put up by the Red Cross in a one bedroom hotel in SB (2 adults, 3 kids and the family dog). They hopefully will get to tour the damage tomorrow.

November 14, 2008 at 10:13 pm |