November 13th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/13/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Thanks for staying up late with us. We're on at 11pm ET after CNN Presents: Escape from Jonestown.

We want you to be part of the program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name

Tonight on 360, will Hillary Clinton be the next Secretary of State? Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton's name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the post. We're also tracking the wild day on Wall Street. Big loses in the morning, but then in the afternoon the dow closed up more than 550 points. And, a new culprit of the collapse. This time we're zeroing in on the failing auto industry.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

Where will the bailouts end? The big three did this to themselves. Let them suffer the consequences of their own mismanagement and union greed.

November 13, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  2. kim-chicago

I seriously want to know what are the qualifications needed to become a CEO?
    Let's see...maybe the ability to take a major thriving business and drive it into the ground while lining your own pockets in the process.

November 13, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  3. Claire

It really infuriates me when these CEO's get millions of dollars in bonus and salary when their company is failing? What is wrong with this picture? I wouldn't want my money going to bail them and their company out...they needs to look in the mirror first!

November 13, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  4. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

What do the Board of Directors of the Big 3 have to say about these CEO's and their performance? Seems like they would have some kind of voice.

November 13, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  5. Desirae, Mount vernon, N.Y

i thought the press conference was for only palin. i guess not

November 13, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Naissa, South Texas

I cannot wait for CNN Heroes! I will skip going to my aunt's or anythign this year to watch it, and I ain't even kidding!

Anyway, goodnight y'all! See you later! 🙂

November 13, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  7. Martie

Looks like Perry may be considering his own presidential run – between pulling Palin toward the mic and then ending the press conference he obviously wanted to be the one in control.

November 13, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

"Grand Wizzard"...man, these guys are beyond mental...

November 13, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  9. Emma

Kathy, I also thought Palin was supposed to be at the press conference alone. She was clearly uncomfortable with the set up. Whoever came up with this idea is an idiot.

November 13, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  10. patrick carter

hi guys patrick carter from cartersville,ga.i really think that hillary clinton would be a great choice for sec. state. smart she knows her business and would be a great help.

November 13, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How could an automobile company not know that gas could become so expensive? Foreign car companies realized it that is why they made fuel efficient cars. Unbelievable! He needs to go.

November 13, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  12. Desirae, Mount vernon, N.Y

Erica nice glasses it look good on you

November 13, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  13. Jacqui Chan

my Mom made a good point as sad as it would be 4 americana to not produce our own cars nemore and clearly thoose 3= million people need work, benefits and health care but their are other industries just as important that need the help like the steel industry for example

November 13, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  14. Michon

How come these ceo's continue to be able to run these companies after they've driven them into the ground? You want a bailout, you get out.

November 13, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  15. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

If there is a big 3 bailout, it should include the big wigs be replaced.

November 13, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  16. Jeremiah Tacoma, WA

well they are who give us money jobs power so we have to pay. and this crisis just makes them want to screw up next time

November 13, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  17. Michon

If Palin had her own press conference, what more would she talk about other than the same things she has been talking about for a week. Alaska, 150k clothes, losing the election, she loves her family and JMac.

November 13, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  18. Diane - IL

I don't understand why all the governors went out there during Palin's press conference. Was the press conference supposed to be for all of them or just her?

November 13, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  19. Matthew Carey from Maine

I hope I'm not the only one that noticed Sarah Palin's very expensive looking leather jacket while she joked about going on a shopping spree. I don't claim to be a fashion expert but I can tell when something looks darn expensive. It would not surprise me if a few of her pricey "get ups" turned up missing...fell off a truck perhaps?

November 13, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  20. Tess Garcia

exactly how many times aer we going to bail thses compaines out??? I guess i will just remind my grandchildren to thank their grandchildren for helping us pay this pesky little baill out debt.

November 13, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  21. Theresa, Jamaica

Hillary Clinton would make a good secretary of state. I am just concerned about the potential for her challenge to Barack's leadership

November 13, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  22. Martie

If Palin wants to succeed on the national stage, she needs to disappear for several years, educate herself on national and international policy, become very familiar with the "lower 48" and become much more comfortable with contemporaneous speaking.

November 13, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  23. Michon

Palin has nothing to offer except more laughs. She is a joke.

November 13, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  24. Kathy R.

That Palin press conference thing was weird. Clearly she was meant to be up there alone, and they decided to have several of the other Repub govs up there with her. Sort of a no-win situation, really, because they apparently didn't want her up there alone, and they didn't want to be with her. She should have been able to give her own press conference at length separate from the rest of the schedule, which would have been better. The men just looked like they were "handling" her. Weird all around.

November 13, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  25. ashley - willis, tx

Man! I wish I still had my Wal-Mart stock! I got rid of it cause it because it didn't make any money, that blows...

November 13, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  26. Emma

Let's not forget what Obama said when he was asked a couple of years ago if he was going to run for President. I just don't understand why these people can't be honest.....then again, they're politicians so I shouldn't be surprised.

November 13, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  27. Jeremiah Tacoma, WA

i know that is good! if she ran we would get 4 more years lol

November 13, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  28. Hannah Marner

-rolls eyes at Palin's speech-

For goodness' sake!

November 13, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  29. chitowngal07

I feel very bad for Palin... I think that very deep inside there is a very intelligent woman in there.. I think that she tries too hard and that other Reps. are angry and jealous of her getting all the attention. Just look at all the faces they have like they are about to pass a kidney stone...

November 13, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  30. Martie

At this point, Palin's lack of substance surprises only her supporters.

November 13, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  31. Fjola, NC

I'm sick of anything Palin related...I'm over it. Let's all move on, please

November 13, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  32. MaryBeth

Nice glasses, Erica!!! I like them a lot!! 🙂

November 13, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  33. Stephanie, Henderson, NV

Governor Palin's popularity scares me. A wink and smile aren't gonna cut it, and if she truly respected her position as a VP candidate she would've better prepared for the job.

November 13, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  34. Naissa, South Texas

Erica looks so pretty with her glasses on!

November 13, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Some men don't like women to upstage them.

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  36. M.Ramdorsingh Miami FL

FOUR questions??? Are they serious. They cut it just like that, and they felt ODD? Why is she talking nonsense.... Dana I feel sorry that you have to cover her story.

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  37. kim-chicago

This is unbelievable to me that these people don't have a clue what they are doing. The banks should have been given the money with...yep, "pre-conditions"

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  38. Gail

I'm curious about how the mortgage crisis is effecting local govt in respect to property taxes. When people default on their mortgages wouldn't it make sense that they also would have defaulted on their taxes?

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  39. Brandi-bottom of the boot

Palin is not funny.

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  40. Jacqui Chan

being that I vote green, independant or democratic I would love for Palin to run 2012 only the eveangelicas would vote for her

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  41. Jeremiah Tacoma, WA

i wish she did run in 2012!

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  42. Vickie

Those "uncomfortable" governors have no one to blame but themselves. They are the ones that stood there like dummies. 🙂

November 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  43. Michon

Let her suck up all of the oxygen. I don't think anyone takes her seriously. I surely don't. Where does she stand on any policy?

November 13, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  44. MaryBeth

Is she the only Republican woman governor? Wow.

November 13, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  45. Naissa, South Texas

OMG! I feel kind of bad for Palin. Maybe she should just lay low and keep cooking her poor moose for a while?

November 13, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  46. Gisselle - Houston, Texas

Greetings to all,

I was hoping that Governor Richardson would be the first option for Secretary of State, I admire the man and I believe he would do a heck of a job in that post.

That said and all, Senator Hillary Clinton is a very smart and politically correct pick.

Henry Paulson go home!

Sara Palin you too!

November 13, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  47. Kathy, Chicago

Ouch, those Governors didn't seem happy that Palin got all of the attention!

November 13, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  48. Jacqui Chan

regarding what Anderson just said, it's true people never admit that they are gonna run but Palin's actions are very transparent

November 13, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  49. Desirae, Mount vernon, N.Y

I'm glad she get to be part of the team. It is a good idea

November 13, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  50. Michon

Let her continue to make a fool of herself. She talks about nothing.

November 13, 2008 at 11:32 pm |