November 13th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/13/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Thanks for staying up late with us. We're on at 11pm ET after CNN Presents: Escape from Jonestown.

We want you to be part of the program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name

Tonight on 360, will Hillary Clinton be the next Secretary of State? Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton's name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the post. We're also tracking the wild day on Wall Street. Big loses in the morning, but then in the afternoon the dow closed up more than 550 points. And, a new culprit of the collapse. This time we're zeroing in on the failing auto industry.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sarah V

Uhh what did Governor Palin just say about the future? Was that really her or Tina Fey? Oh, the entertainment involved with watching Sarah Palin speak.

November 13, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  2. Maureen T

It's time for Sarah Palin to go away and for the media to stop reporting on this individual!!

November 13, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  3. Stephanie, Henderson, NV

Our tenuous foreign relationships require someone with a strong background in foreign policy/politics. As much as I respect Hillary, we would be better served with someone else as the choice for Secretary of State.

November 13, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  4. Jacob Sicard

Sarah Palin should get off the air

November 13, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  5. Emma

Yikes. I bet the other Governors were not happy that Palin was getting all the attention. I wonder who thought it was a good idea to make them line behind her.

November 13, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  6. Naissa, Deep in the

What happened with Palin today? I don't get it.

November 13, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  7. MaryBeth

So what happened to the mortgage plan that was released a few days ago? Is that still happening? The refinancing and longer terms?

November 13, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  8. Michon

Paulson is clueless! He said everything was fine until things weren't fine but someone said give him all this money he knows what he's doing.

November 13, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson if these people were competent do you think that we would be in the mess we are in right now? I don't trust anything they say.

November 13, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

LOL, Sarah Palin just can't do it right. She should really keep quiet now.

November 13, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  11. Kathy, Chicago

The bank loans were a flop. There were no conditions attached so the banks are using the money for their own gains, not to help the economy or the people who need it.

November 13, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  12. Al Pao in San Francisco

Hillary Clinton would be a brilliant pick, not as Secretary of State but as Secretary of Health and Human Services.

November 13, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  13. Ingrid from Northern VA

This is what comes with more transparency....Paulson is being honest when he says it's more complicated then they thought...would we rather have more of the same like the Iraq war of secrets???

November 13, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  14. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

This economic crisis is getting more global in nature. Perhaps Paulson changed his position because he's looking at what other countries are doing.

November 13, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  15. Jeremiah Tacoma, WA

i think hilary is a good choice and she is perfect to fit! the others i dont really know maybe they would be good id have to check them out but hilary on her discussions been through alot!

November 13, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  16. Naissa, Texas, USA

I knew Hillary would be offered a BIG position, and I am glad she may be chosen for SOS. Go Hillary!

Is it just me, or does Anderson seem a little tired? I'd surely be tired if I were him!

November 13, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  17. MaryBeth

So, Paulson is hoping the bailout we're paying for is going to trickle down? We all know how well that works. :-\ Why not just do what you said you would do? I think that would help people out more. I would rather be able to pay my mortgage (if I had one) then able to get a credit card.

November 13, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  18. Martie

Unfortunately, "payback" has always been in the forefront of politics. If Obama succumbs, he'll have a hard time getting a second term. "No politics as usual" was the clear mandate of Nov 4th

November 13, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  19. Jacqui Chan

wow I am excited that the election is all over now
    Obviously because I have enormous faith in Obama and will not miss Bush one bit but also now 360 can spend more time on world news by far my favourite knida wews...

November 13, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  20. Ken, Peru, IL

I think Hillary would be great at Sec of State Go Hillary!!!!

November 13, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  21. Emma

Jolene, I bet vetting is not necessary when it comes to Hillary. What don't we know about her?

November 13, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  22. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hillary was well travelled as First Lady, but mostly in photo ops, not negotiations with foreign leaders. Colin Powell has done the job, and could do it again.

November 13, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  23. Kathy R.

At least John Edwards took himself out of the running for any imagined "payback."

November 13, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  24. Ingrid from Northern VA

Palin actually talked about Joe the Plumber in her speech at the RGA today!!! How can anyone take her seriously!

November 13, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  25. Suzann

Yeah for Hilary

November 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  26. Minou, New York City

I think we can trust that Obama is making his cabinet decisions based on the person's qualifications and not because he feels obligated to "reward" someone.

November 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  27. Omari

President-Elect Obama should not have Hillary as the Secretary of State. How can we go from Condi Rice, a woman who is fluent in thirty-some-odd languages to Hillary Clinton? Totally wrong! Bill Clinton's influence is not transferable.

November 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  28. Michon

I hope the rumor about John Kerry is not true. I don't thinks that's a good choice.

November 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Emma, There are many waiting in line for their "rewards," but there are only so many positons to fill. Obama will have to find another way to reward them.

November 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  30. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

So before Hillary gets Secretary of State, does she have to fill out that 7 page Obama questionnaire and really get vetted? Hmmm

November 13, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  31. Fjola, NC

"Paybacks" just sounds disturbing...I realize you have to make friends and enemies along the way to the presidency but the tought that now Obama owes a bunch of people cabinet positions for their support is just disturbing

November 13, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  32. Michon

Hillary will take the job if offered. When it comes to power, they'll get over the rest.

November 13, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  33. Naissa, Texas, USA

That whole KKK tragedy really scared and disappointed me. There are some people that are still so evil, and it's not only excessively scary, but it is incredibly sad, too.

November 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  34. Kathy, Chicago

I work for a small company and we have been really slow these past few weeks.

November 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  35. M.Ramdorsingh

Hillary did run a very good campaign, and I think it goes unsaid that Barack is considering having her as the Sec. of State. There is undoubtedly many factors to consider with the choice to put her on the ticket. Having her on definitely will have that "wow" effect, but the point of the matter is that Barack has a resposibility to check and double check those being considered and make the best choice for his admin. I would like to see these two leaders come together and make progress for America. They seem to have gotten over that primary attiude and are ready and capable to work together. That is what they were showing the American people in the campaign.

November 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  36. Lorna

I would love to see Hillary Clinton as Sec. of State. I think she'd make a fantastic SoS! I made a "bet" with my mom about this when Obama didn't choose her as his VP.

NY would miss her though, but we can sacrifice Clinton for the rest of the country! 🙂

November 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  37. Emma

Tracy, I agree. It's as though Kerry, Richardson, etc. are waiting for their "reward" for being good Obama supporters. Obama should pick the most qualified person. It shouldn't be about returning favors.

November 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  38. Michele Jackson

If Hillary is chosen and accepts it will be significant. If she'd been offered the Vice Presidency, it would have been to sway voters, a sign that Obama felt she was needed to secure the win. Now that he's president-elect, she's being considered because of her qualifications and without duress. That reflects better on everyone involved.

November 13, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  39. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    I'm glad Hillary Clinton is being considered for Sec. of State, though it seems more speculation at the moment.
    I look forward to seeing you on The Tonight Show later.

November 13, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  40. Minou, New York City

I'm in retail. We're not hiring as many ppl as we usually do holiday season.

November 13, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  41. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone blogging.

I've been thinking about it tonight and I think that whatever position Hillary Clinton has, in the cabinet, heading up healthcare initiative as a contibutor on Evening Buzz blog noted, or staying in the senate, she would be a good partner, makes my heart come all undone thinking about it.

There might be something to Gloria Borger's point about Obama wanting to be sure that she would be willing to accept an offer before contacting her. How are such things done, can anyone tell me? Just rush in? Seems simple but in these high level discussions you want to know the contact is welcome so both parties feel comfortable.

November 13, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  42. Damon McCall

Erica – things aren't going to be quiet for a long time! Times are changing, and I would welcome Hillary Clinton for Secretary of State, I think that she would be an excellent candidate for the job. I wonder if she would take such a step; would it hurt her chances for 2016? 🙂

November 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  43. Doug McVicker

Hillary could be an asset to President Obama but if his foreign policy fails it'll hurt her in 2012 and or 2016.

November 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  44. Kathy R.

In terms of "paybacks," Obama owes Hillary Clinton as much as he does John Kerry or Bill Richardson. It was really her loyalty and support post-primary that brought him the critical votes to take him over the top.

November 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  45. Martie

Sounds like the RGA is losing it – what did the guys expect? It's been widely reported that this was to be a Palin press conference. So the RGA meets this morning and it's suddenly agreed that they'll all go out together in a show of unity. Did they really think the press would ask questions of anyone but Palin? Is anyone in the Republican party thinking anymore?

November 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  46. Martha

To: Those who forget
    Please show Senator Clinton more respect. She deserves our respect and admiration. President elect Obama will need all the help he can get. He has the unrealistic hopes and dreams of millions of Americans.
    From: One of the many "that Hilary sent"

November 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse NY

Steve, there are many people who have seniority over Clinton in the Senate, and the President doesn't have a say in that selection either. Although both Clinton or my Golden Retreiver would do better than Reid.

November 13, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  48. Fjola, NC

I trust that Obama will make the right decision regardless who he picks for his cabinet. I don't think he will pick Hillary just because she is a name. Unless there was some kind of backdoor deal we don't know about.

November 13, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  49. Al Pao in San Francisco

My picks for Secretary of State: 1. Fareed Zakaria. 2. Colin Powell

November 13, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  50. Cherise`: Gettysburg, PA

I think the United States and the world could really benefit from a President Obama and a Secretary Clinton.

November 13, 2008 at 11:16 pm |