November 13th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/13/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.liveblog.jpg]Thanks for staying up late with us. We're on at 11pm ET after CNN Presents: Escape from Jonestown.

We want you to be part of the program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

But, keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short
4) No curse words
5) Use your real name

Tonight on 360, will Hillary Clinton be the next Secretary of State? Two sources close to the Obama transition team tell CNN that Senator Hillary Clinton's name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the post. We're also tracking the wild day on Wall Street. Big loses in the morning, but then in the afternoon the dow closed up more than 550 points. And, a new culprit of the collapse. This time we're zeroing in on the failing auto industry.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracy Oats

Regarding selection for Secretary of State – who cares who Obama owes politically?! – he should pick the most qualified person – wasn't that the whole point of this election .. to finally pick the best and the brightest?

November 13, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  2. Emma

I hope this rumor is true. I think Hillary would make a terrific Sec. of State.

November 13, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  3. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Andesrson,

I'm not a Hillary Clinton supporter, but I think she would make an exceptional Secretary of State. I will add too that I thought her post primary behavior redeemed her and Bill. I was proud of her.

Drew

November 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hillary may very well get the job, but I don't think that Hillary, Bill, and Obama really get along all that well. There will always be animosity between them.

November 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

This stuff about people having 'claims' is disturbing. Payback isn't a good reason to appoint someone to a cabinet post. It's done by both parties, but isn't Obama supposed to be different?

November 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  6. Christian

Senator Clinton will not get this job, no way. It will not happen. It will be either Kerry or hagel. 100 percent that she will not get it

November 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  7. Brandi-bottom of the boot

haha, Erica, but they have gotten a little lighter and that is a great thing. I see you are enjoying the BIG seat tonite. 😉

November 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  8. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Gloria Borger indicates that the HIllary as Secretary of State leak "seems like it is" . What makes her think that? A feeling? Unless Secretary of State gets named sometime soon, my guess is it could change and all this will end up being is just a rumor.

November 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  9. Ingrid from Northern VA

I just can't see Obama making a choice so important for the 'wow' factor and not who is the best qualified...

November 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  10. MaryBeth

Not me, Erica!!!

November 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  11. Jana, Indiana

I think Sam Nunn from Georgia would make a good Secretary of State. He was a good Senator for Georgia.

November 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  12. Kitty, Canada

US is like a gloried political soap opera – who needs reality shows?? LOL Always exciting.

November 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  13. Dee F

If it is true, I always thought H. Clinton would make a better Sec. of State than VP. I can easily see her in that position.

November 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  14. Jacqui Chan

-and for what i's worth she really looks great

November 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  15. steve

why in the world would you take clinton out of the senate for a job where little of any consequence will happen the first year while the economy is hopefully getting fixed. the screamingly obvious thing to do, is make her majority leader and get rid of harry reid. i still havent figured out what he's good for yet.. the wins obama is going to need to reform health care (and that not for another year or so) will come in congress, not overseas. and this is where clinton can leave an idelible mark on history, let bill work an at-large deal and have her join him in 2 years or so.

November 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  16. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope all the speculation on the news doesn't hurt the person eventually picked for Secy. of State, whoever that is.

November 13, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  17. ericacnn

evening, everyone – who said things would quiet down after nov 4? 😉

November 13, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  18. Jacqui Chan

ha Candy said what I just said less drawn out ofcource

November 13, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  19. Martie

Hillary as Sect. of State is very interesting – but she may have to disclose more info than they care to with regard to the funding for Bill's foundation.

November 13, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  20. Naissa, Texas, USA

Anderson, tell Candy that her scarf is so pretty! 🙂 Please!

November 13, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  21. Kathy R.

Sounds like a deliberate leak to me, carefully orchestrated trial balloon floating.

November 13, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  22. Jacqui Chan

when I got the news that Hillary might be on board today I was all kinds of excited
    Barack waited until after he was elected to tell America that Hillary might be part of his team – I'm thinking that mayb he knew before hand this may be the case but wanted to win without Hillary is daring – I like his style

November 13, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  23. V. Shipman

It doesn't really matter who will be the Secretary of State because we are going to be in trouble regardless. We need to work on domestic policies instead of worrying about foreign policy.

November 13, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  24. Brandi-bottom of the boot

Kathy,

I agree with you. There doesnt seem to be much she cant do. 🙂

November 13, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  25. Amanda, Leesburg, Florida.

I would LOVE to see Hillary working with Obama. My two favorite people working together? It's like Christmas came early!

November 13, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  26. Larry

@MaryBeth. Good point. I think Candy warms up feelin all the love we send her.

November 13, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  27. Naissa, Texas, USA

Candy Crowley is AWESOME.

November 13, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  28. Ingrid from Northern VA

Hey everyone...
    I am curious about these 'leaks'....because if this is false info....it could look bad for Obama if it's perceived as she isn't chosen...
    Obama's team has been leak free for 21 months so I just don't trust this last week of all these 'possible' cabinet choices...

November 13, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  29. Minou, New York City

Mike: thanks for the giggle

November 13, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  30. Kathy, Chicago

I think that Hillary would be good at anything she is asked to do.

November 13, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  31. Naissa, Texas, USA

What's up, Cooper and bloggers?

Hey is CNN in HD now? For some reason I think it looks a whole lot...clearer I guess? I don't know?

November 13, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  32. MaryBeth

Please, not John Kerry! Gov. Richardson if not Hillary.

November 13, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  33. Grannie Sandy

I would rather see Hillary stay in the Senate and work on health care reform. That is her baby. I would prefer Kerry or Richardson in the Secretary of State spot.

November 13, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  34. Diane - IL

Hi Anderson! This late start of AC360 is shaking up my tv viewing. Did you know that you maybe going up against yourself, with your Leno appearance? Tried to figure out the VCR for that, but ended up giving up.

I never would have thought Hillary Clinton for Sec. of State. Will be interesting.

November 13, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  35. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers. I'm not sure about Hillary as Secretary of State, especially with Biden's background on foreign affairs. She could be used better in another area, IMO

November 13, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  36. MaryBeth

Why is Candy always outside? Get her out of the cold!!! Especially if she's in Chicago...it's raining here. 🙁

November 13, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  37. Kathy R.

That solves the Bill Richardson/John Kerry problem in one swoop, and probably puts Chuck Hagel in as Secretary of Defense.

November 13, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

If Hillary becomes Sec. State, I hope she avoids Bosnia. The snipers are terrible this time of year.

November 13, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  39. Minou, New York City

I do feel a bit sorry for Richardson, though. He'd be a very efficient Sec. of State as well. But I'd prefer H. Clinton.

November 13, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  40. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson! Blogging a little later tonight but definitely worth the wait! Great buzz about Hilary Clinton!...

November 13, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  41. Stacy

I wish the news would avoid spending so much time on speculation. Sure, it can be interesting to ponder Clinton as Sec of State, but I'd rather hear about things that have been confirmed.

November 13, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  42. Paul Reed

President clinton's experience will not transfer to His wife.

November 13, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  43. Larry

I thought that Kerry was getting Condi's job, I'll miss her.

November 13, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  44. Chris in Sarasota

Re Hillary – Andrea Mitchell said that two "close friends" inside the Obama campaign said Hillary is on the short list. She (Hillary) has flown to Chicago, claiming personal business. I think it's gotta be her because he wouldn't vet her like this and then drop her...she certainly wouldn't let it happen after not being chosen for VP! Hillary would NOT fill out a questionnaire however, I imagine!

November 13, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  45. Claire

I'd love to see Hillary as Secretary of State!

November 13, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  46. Carol in Canada

What happened to Hillary Heading up Universal Health Care?
    That's what they said during the campaign.

November 13, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  47. MaryBeth

Happy Thursday everyone! Hillary as Sec. of State? Sounds like a reasonable plan.

November 13, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  48. Kathy R.

Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State makes sense. Sounds like where there's smoke, there's fire, with this one.

November 13, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  49. Minou, New York City

Hi all,
    finally we hear the name Hillary Clinton again. I'm so glad she's being considered for Secretary of State.

November 13, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  50. Jacqueliine, NY

Hello Mr. California Cooper and bloggers!

November 13, 2008 at 11:01 pm |