November 13th, 2008

Evening Buzz: Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/14/clinton.qa/art.clinton.cnn.jpg caption="Sources: Hillary Clinton mentioned as possible Secretary of State candidate."]Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Will Hillary Clinton be joining team Obama? Tonight, two sources tell CNN that Clinton's name has been mentioned as a possible candidate for Secretary of State.

Do you think it would be a good move?

We'll have all the developments tonight on AC360°.

And, a manic day on Wall Street. At one point the Dow sank below the 8,000 mark, but rebounded to finish the day up more than 500 points.

What's going on? It's your money, your future. CNN's Ali Velshi will explain the wild ride.

We're also naming another culprit of the collapse. This time we're focusing on the failing U.S. auto industry.  See who's being added to our most wanted list.

Also tonight, a KKK ritual turns deadly. A woman is shot to death in Louisiana at a klan initiation. We'll have the latest on the investigation.

All that and more starting at 11pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Renaldo Ben, Trinidal & ToBago

Brillant!!! Having Senator Hillary Clinton to represent the Obama Team as Sec.of State is a true sign "Wisdom & Grace" What a Bless Nation
    America is today to have Quality of Substance for Pres.Elect-Obama has to pick from. Mrs. Clinton is a Reformer and a True Coaliton Senator.God Bless Amercia and the "Troops"

November 14, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  2. Coffee N"Bagodoughnuts

When I was growing up, Dad said there were two things I should never do: Kick a person when he is down, and cut off my nose to spite my face. Opposing the bailouts is doing both. If the auto industry sinks it is likely to take the whole economy with it. It is like the movie, the Day After. After the nuclear war with Russia we can say, Yes we are all dead or dying, but boy we got those Russians.

Do the bailout, yes, but put conditions on that bailout. I say pattern the corporations involved after the US Constitution. Keep the executive department/ structure the way it is. The legislative branch, the board of directors would receive a change. There would be two branches. the upper branch would remain the way it is. Each stock would have one vote when it came to picking the board of directors and the CEO. The lower branch, which would be new and which would initiate all budgets and major expenditures would be one stock holder one vote.

The stock holder would be the person or entity with voting rights. If the AFL-CIO pension fund purchased one stock for each member and voted on their behalf, the pensiion fund would be one stock holder. If this fund of the AFL-CIO proper purchased one stock for each member and gave the voting rights to the members, each member would be a stock holder.

It is easy to see how the change would work. With millions of members, the AFL-CIO would become the major stock holder in the lower assembly. Strikes would end as unnecessary. Employeees would become more in tune with the needs of the auto industry. The bloated salaries of the auto executives would end. Moving jobs overseas would end.

It is telling that government employees are paid more than their private industry counterparts. Government executives are paid less than their private industry counterparts. Bringing the same structure to private enterprise would bring the same results.

The best arguments for this plan are in the Federalist Papers. The opposition is listed in the Anti-Federalist Papers. This would fix the problem of the auto industry.

November 14, 2008 at 2:31 am |
  3. Rashid

The combination of Obama and Hillary as sec of state is wonderful in terms of bringing whole range of experience hillary has..

November 14, 2008 at 2:17 am |
  4. susan

At first blush,it seems like a good idea but I think the woman who deserves to be Secretary of State should be Caroline Kennedy-if not for her support ,believing in Obama's dream, Obama, after the Reverand Wright scandal would have been toast.

Hillary is a great Senator from New York and would not serve well as a "yes" person for Obama.

A woman should fill the Secretary of State position and the only woman with idependant credibility ,I believe, would be Caroline Kennedy-it would be hard to call her a racist-she put herself in the game and she should finish what she started.

November 14, 2008 at 12:58 am |
  5. MARNA MAIN

AS A CANADIAN VIEWER I HAVE FOLLOWED THIS AMAZING RACE...FOR OVER A YEAR NOW..GREAT COVERAGE ..WELL U WERE A LITTLE BIASED RE OBAMA OVER HILLARY...BUT I DO BELIEVE THINGS WORKED OUT FOR ALL OF US..HILLARY AS SECRETAARY OF STATE... NONE BETTER SAVE BILL,,, BUT PERHAPS HIS FORTE IS THE MIDDLE EAST... EACH IS OF SUPERIOR INTELLIGENCE, KNOWLEDGE. COMFORTABLE IN THEIR OWN SKINS AND OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE SEEN, EXPERIENCED AND LEARNED FROM VAST EXPERIENCE..HOW LUCKY WE WOULD ALL BE SHOULD HILLARY HAVE A SENIOR VOICE, ONE ON ONE WITH OBAMA , HIS GREAT FORTUNE TO HAVE SAVY, DETERMINED AND WORLD WISE INDIVIDUALS AS THESE INDIVIDUALS.. MARNA

November 14, 2008 at 12:51 am |
  6. chan

Hillary would be a disaster for secretary of state for two reasons:
    1) Obama has a favorable international climateand he needs a someone with experience and professionalism in diplomacy like Powell, who knows tactics of international relations.

2) It would undermine president elect Obama's "change' message against the "Washington Insiders", Hillary being an "old timer" in Washington.

Hillary may be appointed for some international charity offices and be an ambassador for America, where Hillary and Bill wil be able to use their international relationships.

November 14, 2008 at 12:44 am |
  7. anne

I vote for Sarah Palin as Obama's Secretary of State or the U.S
    Emmisary to Russia. Her 'dude' could boat her back and forth between Russia and Alaska every day.
    Does that sound like a winner!!?

November 14, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  8. deborah, OH

I think Hillary would be an excellent choice as Sec. of State. Maybe she could help to restore some of our country's badly mangled image around the world.

November 14, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  9. Jeanine Bolen

I think Having Senator Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State is a fantastic decision. That is where she would be so successful!! What a great pick!

November 14, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  10. Judy Bishop

I jumped for joy when I heard that Sen. Clinton might be chosen for Secretary of State. I am impressed by the fact that Sen. Obama is recruiting only the best and the brightest for his staff and Cabinet. It speaks well for his resolve, judgment, and self-confidence. We know what happens when a President surrounds himself with pals and yes-men. Obama and Sen. Clinton may disagree on a few things, but he recognizes better than just about anyone how smart, dedicated , and tough she is. She will serve us well during this crucial time.

November 14, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  11. Benz

Too many qualified people in Democratic party and Palin is what Republicans can offer the country.

November 13, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  12. Alex

WOW! What a great opportunity for the Obama Administration. Hillary Clinton would bring credibility back to the Office of Secretary of State. She brings instant correction and healing to our nations credibility worldwide, something that the Bush Administration and Condoleza Rice did such severe damage too. In this position, she could do far more for our country as a whole than she would do for the people of New York in her Senate seat. None of the others names mentioned for Secretary of State bring anywhere near the national and worldwide respect Senator Clinton has. President elect Obama would be wise to put her into the position and it would be one less headache he'd have. He would be able to concentrate on a never ending list of screwups the Bush Administration has done over the past eight years.

November 13, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  13. rosella c carpenter

I think it would be great to see H. Clinton as Secertary of State. Then
    we would have 2 of the smartest people around in the current politics.
    My friends and I discussed this before the election (we were sure Obama was going to win) and we all came up with THIS POSITION
    for Mrs. Clinton. I'm sure they would clash at times, but since they are
    both so smart they would come up with the right answer. I certainly would sleep better at night. It was great to see this on CNN tonight.
    By the way, I've been told I've been addicted to CNN, and I am about
    to agree with this. At the age of 70, I have really gotten involved in
    politics more this year, (and I've voted everyyear since I could vote.)
    I have 4 grandchildren, 3 daughters, one is receiving short hours, her
    boyfriend has been laid off, the second daughter cannot find a job and
    she has been laid off for 2 years (and yes she is smart-an accountant)
    the third daughter works part time, and her husband at the age of 50
    has been permanetly laid off (in other words fired and he has had
    his job for 18 years), so my whole family has been hit. I'm retired at
    the age of 70. working parttime because I can't live on SS. And my house and car is paid for. But to get back to the subject: I would love for Mrs. Clinton to be given the position of Secy of State.
    rosella

November 13, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  14. Beth LC Louisiana

Hillary Cinton would be the prize for this position. Her history speaks for itself with other leaders in this world. President Obama can rest assure that she would be able to take care of issues elsewhere, while he focus on issues here and know that he would be informed every step of the way. I think not that she would ever misead him in a position such as the Sec. of State.

November 13, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  15. Andy B

Isn' t it obvious that Hillary should be Secratary of State with Bill as Special Envoy to the Middle East. He came as close as any American President in the last 50 years to solving the ME crisis and commands a great deal fo respect in the Region.

Both sides should swallow some pride and get on with it. Globally this is the biggest issue we face to global peace

November 13, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  16. Eric Benitez

I am excited to hear this news about Hillary and i hope it comes out. Because, Barack Obama needs a strong person like Hillary Clinton. But, am curios to ask this following question to Anderson Cooper and his guest who will touch this issue.....

By Hillary Clinton accepting the Secretary of State seat will it creat a problem for her to run as president in 2012?

Eric Benitez, Bronx, NY

November 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  17. R. Madden

I am not a regular, here. I however after being a Hilary supporter in the Primary. I through myself behind Mr. Obama. I left a comment here with my perception that A Dream Team would be. Hilary as Secretary of State. And before Mr. Obama's endorsement by Ret. Gen. C. Powell. With him as Secretary of Defense. This was days after the Primary win by Mr. Obama. The fact that the Obama administration wants to extend hands accross party lines. This does not suprise me, to hear the buzz about Hilary. This news gives me hope for the World.

November 13, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  18. lizzi from humboldt county, ca

I knew Hillary wouldn't be a good choice as VP, but I do think she would make a fantastic secretary of state. I think Obama would be making a very smart move in picking her. We need a woman to charm the rest of the world and get them to fall in love with US again!

November 13, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  19. rob from so. illinois

Just a thought, why not Bill Clinton? he has the the same popularity in other countries as Hilary and that would keep an experienced sen. in congress. Just a thought.

November 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  20. Larry

I'm gonna miss Condi, but I think HRC is a great fit.

November 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  21. Courtney P

Bill Richardson would be a much better choice
    (actually was a better choice for Pres than Obama or Clinton, if you ask me). Sec of State would look great for her run in 2016. As long as its not John Kerry, PLEASE!

November 13, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

I too think Hillary Clinton would be good in any postion that the Obama admin would want her in. It would be amazing to see her as Secretary of State, watching over the movement of a health care proposeal through congress, at the forefront of any govt. dept.

If I were President, I would want her in my administration. Is what I'm hearing on tv tonight correct, because CNN reporters do seem to know via their sources what is going on ahead of time in Washington? Are we all just waiting for Obama to give Sen. Clinton a phone call?

November 13, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  23. Matt Kelly

I don't see her as Secretary of State. She can do more good for herself and Obama in the Senate.

November 13, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  24. Gloria

Although I feel that Sen. Clinton is competent to carry on as Secretery of State, I am confused as to why Sen. Obama would consider choosing someone who does not agree with his style of foreign policy, esp. in regard to meeting with foreign leaders with no pre-conditions but certainly with much preparation. I am hoping that either Sen. Kerry or Gov. Richardson will be chosen. Sen. Clinton seems more suited to be a leader on health care.

November 13, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  25. SANDRA

I HAVE NOT MAKE UP MY MIND ABOUT HILLARY YET I THINK OBAMA SHOULD THINK LONG AND HARD .I WILL SAY HILLARY AND BILL REALLY WORKED HARD FOR HIM THEY DID A GREAT JOB.

November 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Jeremiah Tacoma, WA

If she is picked to be secretary of state i would be happy she wouldnt be a senator anymore and in the spotlight. so people can see what the dems are all about. very good fit for her. shes like condalisa lol

November 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Annie Kate

Hillary would be good in any office Obama might want her for. As New York senator though she seems to have more of a chance to work for the changes we need in this nation where she is – in the Senate.

If Clinton is going to be in his Cabinet I would have thought being in charge of the proposed health care plan Obama campaigned on would be a good fit for her since she was equally passionate about that issue.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Liv

It would be smart, good, intelligent move.
    I hope for her to be the Secretary of State – from my whole heart. She is great, she and pres, Clinton did for this country and people so much, and for Obama also. She will be great....

about us auto industry: they should not be bailed out. They have to learn from mistakes, and rethink their ways. Many of people are not bailed out from their mistakes, from their unfortunate situation, and they might need it much more. Cars are way too expensive, not enviro friendly, stuck in past...

KKK is disgrace to humanity. People should not kill/hate bc of differences.

November 13, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  29. michael, CA

FRANKLY, bill is my first pick, hillary is second option. they may have discussed this after the primaries..all those private meetings must have meant something.

November 13, 2008 at 10:18 pm |