November 12th, 2008

Evening Buzz: Palin's Media Blitz

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/11/12/palin.future/art.palin.gi.jpg caption="Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has granted numerous interviews in the week after the election."]Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Gov. Sarah Palin didn't talk much to the media on the campaign trail. But, she chatting it up now.

Today, McCain's former vice presidential candidate sat down with CNN's Wolf Blitzer and Larry King. And, she's been all over the TV in recent days.

She told Wolf Blitzer she'd help President-elect Obama if he asked.

"It would be my honor to assist and support our new president and the new administration," Palin said.

But she says she's still concerned about Obama's ties to former Weather Underground member Williams Ayers, who is now a college professor in Chicago.

"If anybody still wants to talk about it, I will. Because this is an unrepentant domestic terrorist who had campaigned to blow up, to destroy our Pentagon and our U.S. Capitol," she said.

"That's an association that still bothers me, and I think it's fair to still talk about it," she continued. "However, the campaign is over. That chapter is closed. Now is the time to move on and make sure all of us are doing all that we can to progress this nation."

Do you agree with Gov. Palin?

Also tonight, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's new strategy or flip-flop (if you prefer) to revive the U.S. economy. Paulson announced today that the government is no longer planning to buy troubled mortgage assets, which were part of the original $700 billion bailout plan. The new strategy: support financial institution that provide credit cards and auto loans.

"I will never apologize for changing an approach or strategy when the facts change," Paulson said.

There's no new approach on Wall Street.

For the third day in a row the Dow took a beating. Blue chips fell 411 points today, and more than 600 points since Monday. Today alone the market lost about $600 billion. Ouch!

The lingering question: Should the government bailout the so-called "Big Three" automakers, General Motors, Ford and DaimlerChrysler?

Join us tonight at 10pm ET for these stories and more.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. tln

Do you agree with Gov. Palin?

No. ... That chapter is closed. Now is the time to move on and make sure all of us are doing all that we can to progress this nation. That part I do agree with.

November 15, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  2. James J.

Please, no more about Sarah Palin. Yes, she's an attractive woman. But the honeymoon's over. Between the all the G droppin' and the apparent lack of knowledge about anything outside of Alaska and an inability to form a complete sentence, I've had enough. It's becoming an automatic channel switch for me when I see her face on TV. I'd rather watch a commercial on another channel than her with her whiney, nasal voice and empty head.

November 13, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  3. Janet

Please Sarah, your fifteen minutes of fame is over!! Go back to Alaska ! There was a saying from my childhood that is applicable here. If you remain silent, others might think you are intelligent, however, upon continuing to talk, your secret becomes evident.

November 12, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  4. Manuela

I consider that Sarah Palin is smart and carismatic, just look at all the attention that she is atracting. She needs however to distance herself from religious issues. Religion should be a private matter, nothing to do with the goverment of politics. Nobody wants to be influeneced by religious believes, this did not work for the Republicans and it will not work for her.

November 12, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  5. Murphy McManus

Palin is the real deal. Like it or not. I believe and hope we have not seen the last of her for a long time. She will serve our country just fine, At least we know where she was born. You cannot say that about the clown who is our president elect. OVER and OUT

November 12, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  6. Dea

Yes she is strange Her filler words just take time and you are right she must think they make her seem like she knows what she is talking about but really she is just taking time getting attention trying to keep it and it is getting boring for sure. Such a strange person and not very likeable really when you pay attention to her it all shows through very transparent sorry she is not the warm and genuine smart and classy woman that we could all be proud of so thanks but no thanks Sarah put a lid on it, please.

November 12, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  7. Judy Evans

Sarah Palin needs to fade away. I have a hard time just trying to follow her train of thought. She is in no way ready to be a major player in the Republican party. I am a registered Republican and for the first time I voted Democrat. And she was one of my four main reasons why. My sincere wish is that the media would just let her go and stay in Alaska.

November 12, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  8. Sheri Burke

The thing about Sarah Palin is she is not very intelligent, she is ruthless in her tactics, and she obviously enjoys the spotlight, hence the media blitz. I thought she had decided "main stream media" types were "jerks"? Anyway, people watch her nonsense the same way we chase ambulances – its sort of exciting and gruesome all at the same time. It is not because anyone takes her seriously!

November 12, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  9. Dave

Good grief. Sarah Palin's shelf life expired over a week ago. Why is the media so obsessed with keeping her stinking corpse in play??

November 12, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  10. Wanda Robinson

If Sarah Palin would be so "honored" to assist the new administration, then she needs to begin by ceasing her harmful rhetoric and suggestions of there being a connection between Obama and Ayers. I find it hard to believe that she does not know that her actions have the potential to stir up the right-wing radical fringe with her ridiculous allegations and suggestions, thereby putting Obama's life in danger. I am tired of seeing her, reading about her, and listening to her self-promoting interviews. Please, Sarah, get off the stage now. Your part is done.

November 12, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  11. stand

how can one agree with palin – watching her interveiws is sooo draining, it's hard to follow what she is trying to communicate, she needs stay off the merry go round.

November 12, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. lynn

Palin doesn't even seem to be aware of her contradicting statements: concerns regarding ayer association, yet willing to work with obama. listen to her 'interviews' again to hear more contradictions regarding her finishing her job as governor, yet obviously eager to jump into another political campaign in 2012. what a ditz!

November 12, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Therese

Anderson & Co., As a faithful AC360 viewer I truly admire your noble intention to be fair to all political sides by providing airtime to Gov. Sarah Palin, but it's just soooo painful. Ack! She actually provokes me to talk back to my TV, which normally I do not do! As a female, I would have been delighted to see a woman achieve such a high office in our government, but to listen to this woman in particular with her wandering, inarticulatate answers does not represent anyone, male or female, well. How Katie, Wolf or Larry can keep straight faces when enduring some of her answers is a tribute to their professionalism. The fact that there continues to be such hype and continued interest in her as a possible leader in the RNC's future only reinforces my belief that my vote for Barack Obama was the right one. From Bangkok...

November 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  14. hannah

sarah polin shouls get her own reality show and leave us only.

November 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Ron, NYC

America produces more nobel laureats than any other country in the world. We now have a first rate intellect as our president-elect. The country's intelligence was reflected in the last election. However, the Republicans don't seem to have learned anything. They would like to show America as the country where the "Joe the Plumbers" the "Joe six Packs" and all the humble rural folk represent "real" America. An America that shuns the educated ("elite") and glorifies the ignorant.
    As a democrat, I am thrilled about all this talk of Sarah the MOOse Palin being the future of the Republican Party. The Republicans are going to be out in the cold for a very long long time. Palin/Huckabee 2012. I can't wait.

November 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  16. carolyn johnston

I tried to listen to Wolf's interview with Palin but her strident voice grates on me like chalk on a blackboard. She reminds me of that narcissistic mean cheerleader in high school who is full of herself, puts down the smart kids and craves the limelight. I always hated those girls.

November 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Christopher Dunn

I can't believe we are talking about (a) Sarah Palin and (b) who might run in 2012!! We have a new President- and Vice President-Elect, but all the focus is on the "losers" and which of them will run next time. We have MASSIVE issues at home and abroad and a new administration coming in to, we hope, address them I cannot understand why we are not talking about THAT!

November 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  18. jim

I agree wit Palin's concerns about Barack Hussein Obama's close personal friend with the terrorist William Ayers. I have more concerns about his other friends Jeremiah Wright, Tony Resco and another muslim terrorist name I can't remember.
    If the money from congress was allocated for troubled loans, that what Paulson should use it for.

The government should bail out the Big Three with a loan that is to be paid back. . They have been burdened with paying for pensions and health care while the Asian carmakers producing cars in the US are not. That is why the Big Three had to make trucks and SUV's to make a profit. They pay thheir workers about $20 and hour more than the Asian car companies.

November 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Mary, Franklin

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the media focus on Sarah Palin. Why are we focusing on what she is doing, or what advice she has for our new first family! I truly believe that Michelle and Barack Obama will make the decisions they feel appropriate for their family with or without the advice from the Governor of Alaska.
    Let's focus on what is important for the US and the rest of the world.
    Paulson needs to admit that he doesn't have a clue. It would be better to do nothing for the next 2 months than to dig the whole deeper. Instead of throwing taxpayer dollars at the financial institutions that are sucking the wealth from our economy, let's step back and do a little research and come up with a plan that will do more than send the failed executives on vacation.

November 12, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  20. Chike, Edmonton, Canada

It is understandable that Palin express her disdain about how she was treated by the media. However, it is time to give some great attention to the challenges that Americans face. She has to go back to Alaska to be a good governor that she is.

November 12, 2008 at 9:55 pm |
  21. Annie Kate

Ayers past with the Weathermen was over 30 years ago – no, I'm not worried about it now or was I before the race. Obama worked with Ayers in the recent past on education goals, not on planning to overthrow the government. Palin needs to be the Governor of Alaska and tend to the business up there and get off the interview circuit.

So Paulsen has changed the strategy – I am looking forward to seeing if he explains why and what this change in strategy will do for the economy. I still think people in foreclosure need a lot of help – much more than the credit card business which is still sending out tons of credit card offers. My cat, Oscar Madison, got two offers for his own personalized credit card with a 20K limit just today. He turned them down – the interest rate they wanted to charge was up in the stratosphere. And if we aren't going to bail out the auto industry then why are we going to help those who make auto loans? From what has been reported there isn't much call for auto loans these days because no one is buying.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 12, 2008 at 9:54 pm |
  22. Cameron S.

If anyone should bail out the "Big Three" it should be the oil companies. After all if the oil and gas companies have high gas prices well " The Big Three, who's vehicles consume so much gas will be out of business...oh wait...they are out of business....These companies should be bailed out, for they've been around for a long time. However, The Big Three shouldn't be surprised, this was bound to happen. After all, Japan manages to build and sell cars to the U.S. at which point they sell them to us at affordable prices... Can you say "cheap labor" overseas? If someone is capable of selling quality for far less overseas, as opposed to America's own for the average prices of 25k, obviously consumers are going for the "better buy". "The Big Three" should be bailed out by the people who keep them in business, the oil and gas companies. Without them cars can't run and if people can't afford to drive cars, especially those from GM, Ford, etc. because of gas/oil prices, it should be the responsibility of their partners to bail them out.

November 12, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  23. newsjunkie

Why can't this woman go away. Everywhere I look its Sarah Palin. Please give me a break from her.

November 12, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  24. Pat

She's a strange person. She uses a lot of filler words that she thinks makes her sound intelligent...Press is giving her way to much attention. For more laughs maybe?? It's not even funny anymore. It's downright disgusting.

November 12, 2008 at 9:23 pm |