November 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/11/08

Tonight on AC360°, the inside story on President-elect Barack Obama's meeting with President Bush at the Oval Office. Plus, the push to try to help America's "big three" automakers facing declining sales and profits. And, on this Veterans Day, Obama's battle plans for Afghanistan and Iraq.

We want to hear from you. Here's your chance to be a part of the program. Just scroll down and post your comments.

We'll try to post as many as we can from 10-11pm ET. Keep in mind you have a better chance of getting your comment posted on the blog if you follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
2) Stay on topic.
3) Keep it short

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the AC360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Neil Dubuc

I am wondering how the potential bailout of GM is any different than that of the bailout for the people that are being foreclosed on their homes? Neither one apparently realized how to budget their money, so why should the gov. help them??

November 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Anne Berry

Why not bail out the automakers instead of AIG? AIG hasn't learned any lessons either. AIG is wasting our money faster than we can get it to them and then slumming back to the trough.

November 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  3. Barbara Shapiro

Bailing the big three Auto makers out should be an "If and only if" ...
    government subsidies in return for retooling their plants to produce alternative fuel autos. The car of the future needs to be produces now.

November 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Jason Heard

First banks. Now automakers. What's next? Airlines, Electronic Companies, Coffee Shops... When does it end?

November 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Jennifer - San Francisco

Why can't the oil companies (with all their recent profits) bail out the car companies?

November 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

Hey Erica, you lil Jake is so cute! I'm glad we're going to see more of him another day.

November 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Meredith Schwartz

Why not let one of the Big 3 automakers go out of business? Won't it make it easier for the remaining two to remain viable, as there will be less competition?

This whole bailout mentality seems like a very slippery slope to me. Where does it end?

November 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  8. ralph paduano

Let the big three go bankrupt and reorganize into smaller more efficient companies to compete with the Japanese!!!!

November 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Jennifer - Michigan

Erica, Cute webcast – glad you enjoyed your day off yesterday.

November 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  10. mark rosenzweig

No on the automaker bailout. It may be painful, but we can survive a recession. What we can't survive is the growing mountain of debt we are leaving to our children.

November 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  11. carolyn brown

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Palin We have a new soon to be President let Palin stay in Alaska I don't like even seeing her on t v let her go on with her life she will never be President forget her she does not have or ever will have what it takes to be President or Vice President get over her Carolyn

November 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  12. elisabeth meier

we all have to be bailed out, because in consequence what will follow up are the depending industries like tires etc.

November 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  13. shirley knapp

Hi Mr.Cooper...I watch CNN every night and I think all of you do a great job.Wish you all were in Canada..lol...If the government does not bail out the "Big Three"...where will all the cars come from????...where will all those people go who will be out of jobs????....that's my two cents worth...Canadian ...lol...shirley 🙂

November 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse NY

I went new car hunting 2 weekends ago. The sales people were thinker than flies. You couldn't go 2 minutes without someone hovering. I plan to hold out for a great deal, they are desparate.

November 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  15. sharon from Indy

It is easy to abandon the Big Three. Of course unless you live in the Rust Belt.

November 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Brandi - Amherst, MA

If it means that jobs will be lost, then we need to bail them out. Enough said. I feel that this bailout is different than wall street.

November 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

What the Big 3 need is a plan on what they will do if they do get any bail out money. If they don't have a product that people want to buy, bailing them out would be worthless. Romeny had it right, IMO. They need to be more innovative in their product lines.

November 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Sylvia, Chicago

Does the Bush administration realize that for every automotive industry job lost there 10 or more jobs lost in industries all across the board?! help them, but make it clear that they need to invest in research and development to keep up with the growing demand for energy efficient cars...we need to focus and invest in the future, sentiment and brand loyalty only goes so far

November 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Mina, Reston VA

Anderson, could you please have someone like Ali Velshi explain how these bailouts really work? I know the tax payers will be paying for it, but how does it work? How do we pay for it? I'm a college graduate, I studied Econ. (college level) and I'm a fairly intelligent person, we can't continue to print money. How can the American gov't able to "bailout' these industries?

November 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Candace from Canada

Exactly Peter Moraci,
    whether it goes bankrupt now or later.

As painful as it is going to be- the sooner we break this abcess -the sooner we can recover.

Continually putting bandaids on these situations is probably worse in the long run, especially for the tax payer.

November 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Randi? everyone blogging. It's the simplest thing but Larry King just said it, to all veterans we remember you and honor you today and everyday (not sure if I have exact words). I want to say I join in that feeling and am glad that we have taken a big part of this day to think about our Veterans and their families.

November 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I would like to wish all of our courageous men and women who have served and who are currently serving in the armed forces a happy and peaceful Veterans Day!

November 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I absolutely understand the trickle down economics of letting any or all of the three big three go bust, but I absolutely CANNOT support a bailout of more, greedy, ignorant, poorly managed, big businesses out of the pocket of the American Consumer.

November 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  24. sharon from Indy

If Big Brother doesn't bail out the Big 3, Midwest cities will become ghost towns. We already have a brain drain. There will be nothing for the next generation.

November 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse NY

Why is it that Japanese and Korean car makers seem to be doing OK? Are they just better positioned for gas prices with smaller cars? If you don't let weak companies fail, they just end up weaker, not stronger.

November 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Cortez

I think the Ford and GM should be bailed out. These are AMERICAN COMPANIES, with AMERICAN WORKERS. Truth is if we get Toyota, Hyundai, and all these foreign made companies out of our country then our Auto Industry will be saved.

November 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. beth

The media should be cautious of sensationalizing issues with the transition. We know there are meaningful policy differences between the Bush adminstration and President-Elect Obama....but to call it trouble with the transition, I think is inaccurate...and not productive at this time. I am a huge AC 360 fan but have a different view of this opening story.

November 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Candace from Canada

Exactly Lorie Ann, Where does it end?
    I am sure my banker would not bail me out – and especially repeatedly.

How can we say big business is still big, when they rely on bail outs?

Survival of the fittest – it may be time for the economy to adjust.

November 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Kitty, Canada

Happy Remembrance Day! My boyfriend is back from Afghanistan, in the nation's capital right now, but I'm eagerly awaiting his arrival home! It's been almost a year since he left. I'm really quite excited to see him soon!

My greatest appreciation to all the men and women who have served or are still serving for our country.

November 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Jennifer - Michigan

I'm not sure what to think about a bail out for GM. Being from MI – I have an emotional stake in it – friends/family. But, logically, a bail out will not keep them afloat indefinitely.

November 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Mike, Syracuse NY

Funny about the 'leaks'. I wonder which side leaked it, and what their motivation was. It really can't help the transition.

November 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. lynn

Myah: Have you factored in that approximately 2.7 million employees will be effected as well as their families??

I think that if the pakge includes a commitment to improving environmental standards which previous adminustrations did not do will provide at least a step forward and keep Americans employed. The cost of unemployment payments alone as well as a decreasing tax base would be catastrophic.

November 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Beverly

Why should my tax dollars be spent on bailing out big companies who failed? No one is bailing me or anyone else out of our failures. I am tired of this.

November 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening, Anderson and Bloggers!

Had a great Veteran's Day and hope everyone else did as well.

Thank you so much to all our active military and veterans.

November 11, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  35. dorothy

Hi Anderson and all bloggers

Today someone on CNN mentioned the public not being able to get enough of Palin – I think the media is cramming her down our throats.
    That comment really bugged me.

November 11, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think we have to be careful about too many bailouts. Every company could spin a valid reason to get tax payer money. Where does it end?

November 11, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Stephen Hill - Binghamton, NY

Big 3 Auto.

When we bail out the auto industry, there should be several restrictions.

1. Increase EPA emissions on all Automobiles.

2. Research and develop newer energy technologies for Automobiles.

3. Increase Tax Credits/Rebates for purchasing Hybrid Vehicles (US autos only)

4. Convert/Manufacturer Fleet Vehicles (police, taxi's, UPS, FedEx, Verizon, Post Office, Etc.)

Stephen Hill
    Binghamton, NY

November 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Candace from Canada

Where is all this money going to come from for aid to GM, and home owners and banks.

Pouring more money into these money losing ventures may seem good in the short run, but in the long run are they really helping?

Or just digging a bigger hole to fall into at a later date?

November 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  39. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

God Bless our veterans and those supporting our military efforts.

November 11, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Louise

Happy Veterans/Remembrance Day! 🙂

November 11, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson. Happy Remembrance Day to my fellow Canadian bloggers and let's hope those in Afghanistan come home soon!

November 11, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. elisabeth meier

Hey, good evening everbody...

November 11, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Mike, NC

Happy Veterans day everyone, hope you all had a great day! Looking forward to a good blog.

November 11, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening bloggers! I assume the "leaks" about what was said at the Obama/Bush meeting were intentional which really doesn't make them leaks, does it?

November 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! My appreciation goes out to all the veterans who have served and fought for our freedom.

November 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Myah

I dont think the automakers need to be bailed out. I think that if they fail, everyone would eventually be able to start new.

November 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Anderson,

Happy Remembrance Day.

November 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Marcia K.

I am truly tired of seeing the plethora of interviews with Sarah Palin now, after the election is over. She did very little in terms of speaking up during the campaign, but has a lot to say now. Her new remark about Africa does not seem to resolve concerns about her global knowledge – she knows there's a continent and a country – meaning South Africa perhaps? There are so many articulate, political women who would be glad to have your ear, and your air time. It would be better to hear from them.
    Thanks,
    MK

November 11, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

Happy Veterans Day! May our troops stay safe and come home soon.

November 11, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Anderson, Glad to be with you tonight. Hope you had a good day.

November 11, 2008 at 10:00 pm |