November 7th, 2008

Palin camp fires back over claims by some McCain aides

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/06/art.palin07.gi.jpg]

The war of words between supporters of each half of the Republican presidential ticket escalated Thursday, as a spokeswoman for Sarah Palin called charges circulated by former campaign aides to John McCain ‘sickening,’ and the Alaska governor herself said the advisers spreading the rumors were ‘small, evidently bitter’ people.

Former McCain campaign aides have been sources for a string of embarrassing stories about Palin that have become public since GOP defeat Tuesday night, including the charge that she spent thousands of dollars more on clothing for herself and her family than the $150,000 that has been reported.

There have also been reports of a somewhat distant relationship between John McCain and his running mate.

“This is so unfortunate and, quite honestly, sickening,” said Palin aide Meghan Stapleton in a statement. “The accusations we are hearing and reading are not true and since we deny all these anonymous allegations, there is nothing specific to which we will respond.

Read More...

Filed under: John McCain • Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Joanne, Syracuse, NY

Oh, Please! Enough of Palin....who cares to hear her views any longer. It is time to focus the spotlight on more important issues, such as the transition. She is yesterday.

November 10, 2008 at 9:17 am |
  2. mariusz

Sarah Palin was only one person who brought McCain amounts of votes as high as it was. My opinion McCain with his old age, support for the same idea as Bush and his intelligence without Sarah would have been total loser. As a matter of fact I think if Sarah Palin was running for president without McCain she would have won the race. Picking her as his vice president that was the most brilliant move as was the most silly to pick up McCain as candidate for president . The only people to blame for lost election are McCain, president Bush and mostly smart USA citizens left with out any other choice.

November 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Connie

It's over! Get over it! I am sure she is a sweet lady, but I am so glad she is back to Alaska! She did not belong as a vp candidate! I cannot even imagine hearing "you betcha" coming from the oval office.

November 9, 2008 at 11:50 am |
  4. Jo Ann Schloe

I am not sure just why McCain's campaign failed. But I do think that no matter who was the Republican choice, it might have failed. People are just sick of the way things have been going and how bad things are now. As for Sarah Palin, that was a very poor choice. She belongs in Alaska shooting things and watching over Russia. Amen.

November 8, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  5. Sam Johnson

I am an Obama supporter and am elated at all the responses here. No one seems to think this is right. Thank you America, I'm proud to be part!!

November 8, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  6. William Mitchell

The people leaking these stories are the same ones who wrote her speeches and preped her for the debates. Did she complain or morally reject putting half truths and innuendo into those speeches…..I suspect not. She got down in the mud with these people and shouldn’t be surprised that they throw some at her when she is no longer of any value. Maybe they’re Godless folk!

I would rather hear some discussion of her husband’s membership in the Alaska independence party and her support at a conference last year as main speaker. Remember Todd wasn’t even a registered republican until after Palin was picked

November 8, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  7. Alex (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

Can we just stop this non-sense??? I mean, Gov. Palin is already back in Alaska and the election is over. I don't think entertaining unprofessional conducts of the RNC aides is not even worth our time. It is either they are looking for a scapegoat to save their behinds or they are making Gov. Palin appear to be the victim enough to continue energizing the Republican party for 2012 with her as a president. Either way, I don't care.

November 8, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  8. Marisa

Everything that happens to you is a result of your own actions.....
    "You reap what you sow" in this life.

November 7, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  9. jim

I believe that most of the allegations cannot be subsantiated. Some republican staffers were trying to blame Palin for losing the election. That is not the case. John Mc Cain ran a horrible campaign. Any other republican candidate could have beaten Obama easily.

November 7, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  10. Nancy

Out of the four running for office Sarah is the only one who is not worth millions. So what if the RNC bought clothing. And, who does not believe that the DNC bought clothing, paid for expensive meals/room service such as the lobster meal the Obama's supposedly ordered. Explain why the media has carried on about an undocumented comment made by Sarah about Africa being a country and yet we heard nothing from the main stream media when Obama referred to there being 57 states. And all of the harping about her not being qualified – yet, did anyone line up her experience next to Obama's and to see just who had the most experience and in what areas. It is unreal that the media can not report fairly and it is scarey and sad that so many allow themselves to be spoon fed.

November 7, 2008 at 8:47 pm |
  11. L Brunner

Sarah Palin is being attacked by the party that was so excited when she came on board. Now she is becoming a victim who is being defended in some cases by the same media who made jokes about her. Doesn't anyone find this suspicious. I remember years ago when an old game called " good cop bad cop" was used to mislead its victim. In this case its the Media. This is an excellent stragedy for Sarah by the Republican camp.
    PS: I just heard from a reliable source that Sarah was secreatly having an affair with ? You can take it from here.
    Leo Brunner
    CA

November 7, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  12. Heather,ca

You know I may have not liked her at all,but it's in incredibly bad taste nor is it professional to attack a politician . The McCain people picked her and even felt compelled to offer up the process that they used to pick her. Information that is usually private and confidential. McCain and his staff lost and only have themselves to blame. In the end McCain always needed Gov Palin more than she ever needed him. It seems to me that after running for president a second time and this time coming this close, which again cant be blamed on Palin. I think McCain chose poorly,he had never made it this far last time.Like Palin or not,it is totally unprofessional,classless and tasteless for these so called presidential campaign staffers to do what they did. They have much to learn.

November 7, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  13. Annie Kate

I wish this would stop – don't these aides who are spreading these rumors realize it not only makes themselves look bad but Senator McCain as well? Senator McCain deserves better than this after all his service to our country. Give him a chance to move forward with his head held high and with no bitterness or blame toward anyone.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 7, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  14. CaRainbow

The only injustice or stupidies through the whole election is the American people to except an Media that is biased, biased not only within USA but in world reporting. America should be angry to find themselves brainwashed for so long they don't even know how not to believe everything they read. Those that still have some creative thought and logical thinking left should stand up to a Country that has not stood up before.

November 7, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  15. Joy in Seattle

You want to sling mud? Fine, declare yourself. I think it gives zero credibility to these people who are pointing the figure at Palin without coming forward to stand by their remarks.

Oh... and we always knew Palin would get blamed for the loss. Which is unfortunately, but inevitable.

November 7, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  16. Sue, Billerica, MA

I am beginning to feel sorry for Palin, even if she might have deserved all this coming back to haunt her... maybe next time she will think twice before firing people as unconscionably as she did in Alaska seeing what it is like to loose a job... maybe next time she will approve the library improvement budget instead of spending multiples more on her favorite pastime for a hockey rink way above the budget for a small town seeing how people will hold her for task for overspending on clothes etc.. maybe next time she won't slander and stir up fear and hate against her opponent like she did Obama seeing how it feels to have people unfairly slandering you if she is telling the truth and they are exaggerating.. but I do feel for her and her family, something she didn't do for the Obama family for months while falsely painting him as dangerous, terrorist, socialist etc etc.. but two wrongs don't make a right so I feel sorry for her and hope she can quietly fade into the Alaskan tundra and leave us mainlanders in peace.

November 7, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  17. Max

Idiots on TOP of IDIOTS.

November 7, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  18. Dana, Trenton, Michigan

I just wish that some people could be honest and stand up and say their names about the claims they are making about Gov Palin. I have never supported her be nominated for VP. I feel like if anyone has something to say they should step up to the plate and just say it. If they are honest enough, because if they are just going to be hiding then keep there opinion to there self.

November 7, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  19. Harlan in Dallas Tx.

This is wonderful,for us on the far-left to watch.This is going to get ugly.There 2012,people,have already lost,one more state.

November 7, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  20. Sandra

I guess Mrs. Palin now understands what a Community Organizer is: The President Of The United States. He did it without having to bare false witness to his rivals unlike herself. these unflattering comments that are being hurled at Gov. Palin are Karma for being untruthful and mean spirted during this election. What have you got to lose you say Mrs. Palin, the respect of the people who voted you in, there trust, and their friendship.

November 7, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  21. Kathy Reimherr

I Am as liberal as I can be but this assault on Sara Palin for her clothes is rediculous. Poor woman more than earned them! My democratic friends all feel the same.

November 7, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  22. Missy

McCain didn't do his homework. And Palin should have known better than to accept the position.

November 7, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  23. MPalalay (California)

This sounds to me like plain and simple "spontaneous combustion." I wonder if Sarah Palin and John McCain can still gather enough nerves to belittle and sarcastically refer to Senator, now President-elect Obama as a mere "community organizer" after the latter's masterpiece of a presidential campaign as well as election day historical performance and achievement.

I must say that Sen Obama had really shown the country and the world what a community organizer can do...on a larger scale. Yes, The Hunter and The Maverick may now sprinkle "national organizer" to their plethora of names (most of which were unflattering and denigrating) for President-elect Barack Hussein Obama. He is what he is and guess what, he got the country's love and vote...they didn't.

Touche!

November 7, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  24. Scott Orlando, FL

This must stop! I am an Obama supporter, but this attack on Sarah Palin is morally wrong. She is a decent woman and accomplished politician. Maybe not to the levels of the National stage yet, but her day will come.
    The McBlame camp had plenty of time to vent her and establish her goals and ideals and level of competence. The fact that they did not prepare her before pushing her onto the National stage is their own short coming.
    I don't believe Sara Palin EVER pretended to be more than she is. The McCain camp did. If they want to lay blame, they need to take their lumps and blame themselves. To continue to blame her is not only low class but shows their lack of skill, mindset and integrity. Never forget she worked very hard for the McCain camp. She gave it everything she had. Win or lose, it is time to move on and let her have her life back. If she chooses to further her career on a National level, then she needs to get into more of a Senate level position and be seen more on a National scale. Until that happens everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions.
    The continued attack of Sarah Palin is going to divide the GOP even more. Remember, the largest voter populous is women. Women stick together and support one another. This will back fire overwhelmingly in the GOP if they continue to blame Sarah Palin. I personally wish her well.

November 7, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  25. Ann

I believe McCain's camp is using Sara Palin as a scapegoat. They have to have someone to blame because of the loss. I wonder if this would have ever been mentioned had they were elected. The campaign was handled very tacky in my opinion. Instead of the McCain camp focusing on the issues they were only doing smear attacks.
    Let's be real, the only reason they picked Palin was to draw in women who supported Senator Clinton (myself being one). To me Gov. Palin never hit on the issues that were important to the American woman. I am just as concerned about the war and economy as a man would be.
    I think his campaign staff did him a great diservice by either picking or allowing him to pick this woman. She didn't even know the people the United States do trade with or anything about the Bush Doctrine.
    I don't think Sara Palin was there to help Senator McCain, but for the opportunity to get her foot in the door. Her true mission was stated when she told the gentleman (pretending to be the President of France), that she might be President in 8 years. I think that sums her up in a hurry.

November 7, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  26. Presley

Is it wrong I was looking forward to the Post Election dirt about Palin?
    Palin can be disappointed in some of the media all she wants, fact, what was she or the campaign staff expecting?
    A parade? If Palin has ANY ambition to run for ANY National position, this election season will have been a parade compared to what she really has to look forward to.
    I am inclined to believe some of the negative fall out. Some, not all.
    The Blame Game is not surprising, what would be surprising, if any of them took some personal responsibility. Openly admit they should have thought a bit harder on picking Palin and Palin fessing up she was in over her head. I find it impossible to believe she was considered best suited as a running mate.

November 7, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  27. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I hope John McCain comes out to address this soon as a true leader should. During his speech on Tuesday night, he, himself, stepped up and said: "And though we fell short, the failure is mine, not yours." The only person that can resolve all the bickering going on within the campaign team is John McCain.

Anonymous statements made to the press seem suspicious. If these people are such in the know, why hide? They are starting to embarrass themselves and their party!

November 7, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  28. Melissa, Los Angeles

Wow how ironic her own party has turned on her. This shouldn't surprise me seeing how the Repukelicans promised to run a clean campaign but then did not once they started losing in the polls. Goes to show how trustworthy they are. I'm so glad this type of buffoonery was not elected for another 4 years.

November 7, 2008 at 11:47 am |
  29. D Green

All of these people need to quit whining.

John McCain picked someone with limited capacity, breadth and depth to appeal to a certain segment with limited capacity, breadth and depth.

Sarah did her job.

November 7, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  30. Joednee Copeland

after hearing all the bad stories about S.Palin and you look at the way they ran,the campaign is it really a surprise they made her an attact dog now they are attacting her, McCain was the head of this ship to no where, they know about the clothing from day (1) my mon always said lay down with dogs you get up with fleas

November 7, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  31. Kyle- DuPont, WA

This is a clear example of passing the buck. The leadership of the McCain campaign made some strategic mistakes from the beginning and to think that they would blame their failure on the only person in the campaign worth watching is ridiculous. The fact is that on the heels of a Bush presidency, even Mother Theresa would have lost as a Republican. They need to stop this incessant name calling and point the blame on themselves and the Bush "legacy". I hope Ted Stevens resigns and Sarah Palin appoints herself to the vacated Senate Seat.

November 7, 2008 at 10:50 am |
  32. Larry

Why are those 'aides' always anonymous?

November 7, 2008 at 10:48 am |