November 7th, 2008

"Obama Transition Project:" Code of Conduct

Ed Henry | BIO
White House Correspondent

This is being circulated among Obama advisers as a code of conduct for involvement in the transition ...

Obama Transition Project
Code of Ethical Conduct

As a condition of being permitted to serve as a member of the Obama Transition Project, I agree to abide by the following requirements:

1. I will disqualify myself from involvement in any particular Obama Transition Project matter which to my knowledge may directly conflict with a financial interest of an immediate family member, partner, client, or other individual or organization with which I have had a business relationship within the past 12 months. Should there be no such direct conflict, but the potential for the appearance of a conflict, I will address this issue for resolution to the Project Executive Director.
  2. I will disqualify myself from involvement in any particular transition matter if I have engaged in regulated lobbying activities with respect to such matter, as defined by the Lobbying Disclosure Act, within the previous 12 months.
  3. I will not solicit or accept any money or things of value in exchange for a promise to support or use influence on behalf of any person who is a candidate for any appointive office or place in the United States Government.
  4. I understand that in my Obama Transition Project-related activities, unless given specific authorization, I am not permitted to make any representations on behalf of Senator Obama or the Democratic nominee for Vice President, their designees, or any official of the Obama Transition Project, and in all my service to the Transition, I will identify myself only as acting on behalf of the Transition Project on transition-related matters.
  5. I understand that authorization is required from the Obama Transition Project's Executive Director or the Executive Director's designee before seeking, on behalf of the Obama Transition Project, access to any non-public information.
  6. I will hold in confidence any non-public information provided to me in the course of my duties with the Obama Transition Project and ensure that such information is used exclusively for purposes of the Obama Transition Project.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Ed Henry • Raw Politics
  1. Terri

I just want to say that I think that all of us should give our newly appointed President elect, Barack Obama a chance to show the American people, even the ones that didn't vote for him to have great patience so that he can put his "Barackonomics" in motion. I am sure that if he comes through with all that he has said, this mess that we have been thrown into will mostly be all wiped away. Of course, it will take some time like he says. But we do have to back him and have patience. Terri

November 10, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  2. Todd

Code of conduct
    Hire for Chief of Staff Memeber of Board of Directors of Fannie Mac who made huge profits from 2000 to 2002.
    SEC investigating fraudulent books and failure to recognize warning signs of a disaster.
    Now he is chief of staff to fix economy.
    Somehting is seriuously WRONG about that !!!!

November 9, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  3. Karen

I think he has 100 positions to fill before Jan.20,2009. I believe he will have many faces of different races! Because it was not just one race that got him into office!

November 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Misho (Las Vegas, NV)

Well, if his campaign team had to sign a similar contract, it must work! Too bad he can't make Congress sign one.

November 9, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  5. Joanne, Syracuse, NY

Fairness, clarity, honesty and justice mark the professionalism of the team. Wonderful!

November 9, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  6. Vick

waww! the guy is serious. i never had doubts he will be a great leader. where are those who claimed he has no experience and as such cannot rule America? you all men of little faith, wait and see this guy will prove you wrong.

Thank God Americans have the eyes and good sense to choose a true leader.

More graces to your elbow Obama and to all Americans.

Thanks Anderson for giving many of us here this opportunity to know Obama and get to appreciate his true person as we now do. Keep it up with ac 360, you're doing a great job. Even though we've to stay awake at 4 AM to watch your show, because of the local time difference here. But the experience is been worth the sacrifice we all made, especially with crowning victory of Obama and all you great Americans. Thanks to Erica too, she's been great.

November 9, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  7. Ron Van Der Maarel

Makes it easier for me justifing why I voted for PRESIDENT OBAMA

November 9, 2008 at 9:43 am |
  8. Becky Timmer

Obama will make a good president, I think almost every one cryed even at home, I Love your beautiful family, Good luck. I have just one question, Why dosent the poor people get the stimulas pkg??????????????????????????????????????. Thank you.

November 9, 2008 at 2:01 am |
  9. Alex (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

Well..this article placed a smile on my face. It is a good thing to put forward so we, the American people at least know what to expect. I'm satisfied with the requirements, btw. As for the cabinet members, I'd rather sit tight and wait until they make the announcements. Easy as it goes, so to speak. I think Pres – Elect Obama is doing the right thing by thinking things/persons through to further ensure well-deserved and very competent people to serve under his administration. The same people should also embody his main agenda: America and its people. **NOTE: And this comes from a very impatient lady by nature. 🙂

November 8, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  10. Aynes

Do you really believe this stuff??? Doesn't sound like change to me. Very disappointed.

November 8, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  11. Mary

So far all I see in the Obama Transition Team on retreads from the Clinton Administration. Maybe, they can return all the ashtrays they stole from the White House on their way out, Jan 2001.

November 8, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  12. Rod

Sounds fair and firm, thoughtful and organized. The framework and expectations are clearly laid out. Rules for organized teamwork. I have to look back past the nightmare of the last eight years to remember any previous operational organization similiar to this. I'm encouraged by the document and the implications, but am a bit skeptical of any politician, given the broken promises, decisions, and disappointment of politics past. President-elect Obama got my vote, has my prayers and support. The Bush presidency shouldn't be a tough act to follow.

November 8, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  13. Elizabeth

This is very serious, but who will look into or will anyone look into where the donations came for the Obama camp? My co-worker who is a Canadian citizen donated money on the web from Canada West Coast to Obama, also the Canadian TV showed Canadian volunteers (not Americans living in Canada)for the Obama camp calling to Ohaio workers from Canada and consoling them, convincing that Obama is the right choice for president not McCain. Was this an international election? Did terorist donate to the campain as well? Anyone who had an interest of Obama's election from anywhere in the world could easily donate to the Obama machine...??? you have a winner and that is great, but you may not want others than Americans to influence with money your American election and democracy in the future. This election may have been a globaly funded one through the internet, if that is the case it was not the American people but the world influence helping Obama's win of the presidency,.
    Good luck to the president elect, and stop dishing Palin, it is very sad when the sources cannot be disclosed by CNN or others, some of us may think that all is just made up by the media to create more haste and talk and rating!

November 8, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  14. Ayse London

Now that is what I call transparency – Go Team Obama!

November 8, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  15. Larry L.

The Democrats have the power now !! The main steam of the Democratic party has also been identified by who voted and carried Obama to victory,each group does have their hands out; Unions,African Americans,Hispanics,and single woman.Congratulations, we(Employers and Business) all will now OWE YOU our money.

Free ride just started

November 8, 2008 at 9:13 am |
  16. Robert

I am a strong Obama supporter, and I believe that he truly would like a diverse cabinet. Considering how contentious the presidential race was, do you think Obama would consider John McCain for Secretary of State? I think John McCain would make an excellent Secretary of State. I also think Colin Powell would be an excellent appointee for Homeland Security. Although both of these gentlemen are republicans I think their service to this country and their experience would serve us all well. Do you think Obama would seriously consider these gentlemen?

November 8, 2008 at 3:41 am |
  17. J.V.Hodgson

He should have provided that unapproved press comments annonymously would be frowned upon and that each transition teams members must clear any press comments with Department Heads and in case of dispute Obama and Rahm would arbitrate. Head must clear with Obam and Rahm.
    There is too much "off the record and anonymous quoting" in the press, and it does not help in a crisis!! Simply deflects time and resiurce unneccessarily.
    Looks like a sensible start to change we need to me.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

November 8, 2008 at 1:12 am |
  18. Annie Kate

Ed,

Thanks for posting the rules for Obama's transition team. They sound good and very straight forward. Hopefully, these rules will deflect any accusations of vested interests further down the road.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 7, 2008 at 6:45 pm |
  19. Larry

Gonna be a lot of unhappy folk: Dodd, Frank, Pelosi, Reid, Penny Pritzker, etc.

November 7, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  20. Lew

Congratulations on running a great campaign. you guys sweeped!!

November 7, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  21. Heather,ca

Not surprised at all. Written like a lawyer have to cover your you know what.

November 7, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  22. StevenCravisDotCom

Obama is going to clean house fast. Sweeping changes I believe in.

November 7, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  23. Julie San Diego, CA

At last, an Administration that operates like any business in America does.

They're missing the Non-Disclosure Agreement and an outline of penalties for breaking specific terms of the agreement. They could use a clause about "knowingly entering into this agreement" and also I'd cover all bases by stating that this agreement applies to all family members domiciled within the same household (probably not legally enforcable but you they can't say they weren't warned...).

Can't tell I've seen a few of these kinds of contracts, can you? 🙂

Congrats to the Obama Administration for laying out expectations.

CHANGE IS HERE

November 7, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  24. Vegas

I like #6....
    Same one used in Chicago... LOL...

Here comes the change baby!

November 7, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  25. rodney

thanks pres elect obama for letting us see your leadership style and skills shine in spite of what others were trying to show

November 7, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  26. rodney

will pres-elect obama have any african americans in his cabinet?

November 7, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  27. Åsa

I'd be very pleased if 360 could ask the Obama transition team to comment on the fact that, so far, very few women and persons with minority background have been mentioned as potential appointees for positions in Obama's new administration.

I thought change meant less white men from previous governments in charge!
    Obama, I thought you meant that too!

/Åsa

November 7, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  28. Jackie in Dallas

Wow, straightforward and ethical! What a concept.

Sounds like the same people who ruined McCain's campaign are being told, in no uncertain terms, that they are not welcome to apply - since most of them were lobbyists (some still actively lobbying on behalf of their clients) during the campaign!

November 7, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  29. Beau Mellon

Obviously George McGovern was right... Obama is a young Lincoln..

November 7, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  30. onelove

Wow, what a leader President Elect Barack Obama is.

November 7, 2008 at 1:14 pm |