November 6th, 2008

Dejected McCain supporters wary of Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/11/05/angry.mccain.supporters/art.mccain.vote.gi.jpg]

As Sen. John McCain bowed out of the historic presidential election Tuesday night, he urged his supporters to bridge their differences with Sen. Barack Obama and unite for the good of the country.
"Sen. Obama and I have had and argued our differences, and he has prevailed. No doubt many of those differences remain. These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face," he said.

Just the mention of the Democrat's name elicited boos from the sea of teary-eyed McCain supporters at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix, Arizona.

Members of the dejected crowd shouted "no way!" when McCain promised to work with Obama.

As McCain graciously acknowledged defeat, it was clear that not all of his supporters were ready to rally behind the president-elect.

Kevin Neugebauer of Katy, Texas, said he was "really disappointed " and "distraught" about his party's loss.

Read More...

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. mike illinois

Well said Jan!!!!!!!! At the dinner table tonight my wife asked our 8 year old a (3rd) grader if Africa was a continent or a country? He, without hesitaion replied a continent and then preceded to name all of the continents. My question to all Republicans who think Sarah Palin was qualified to be V.P. what were you thinking while you were voting for this bimbo? Scary !!!!!! My son would be glad to tutor her in the coming years so she does not look so stupid. Is she smarter than a 3rd grader? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  2. Renee

Brandy, you must have missed your classes in critical thinking. As a Christain you should know that total Peace will not come to this world as we know it, however, in the meantime we can strive for peace and do as much good as we can. Obama clearly stated that he is not perferct nor will he be a perferct President, but he will do the best he can with our help. Fear is motivating you, get over it, and give hard work and faith a chance.

November 6, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  3. Ginna in Anniston, AL

I live in Alabama and am worried that many McCain supporters will NEVER support Obama because they have been brainwashed by people they should trust. My niece was terrified when Obama won and shocked that I voted for him because she had been told at CHURCH and SCHOOL by teachers that he was a Muslim and was going to kill all white people when he was elected so that the United States could become a black nation. I was horrified that anyone in a position of authority would use it to promote hate and fear, but I wonder if the people feeding her this garbage were themselves brainwashed. I find it difficult to believe people this ignorant or just hateful will ever support a black president.

November 6, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  4. John, Roswell

Good job!! Gabrielle in Detroit..you have said it better than most journalists. I agree with you that the republicans are just you using scare tactics and at the same time it blows me away that seemingly intelligent friends of mine do not see it. Maybe they don't want to?

November 6, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  5. Akber A. Kassam.

I think Sen. John McCain lost few major states in this historic election just due to his [Queen] Sarah Pelin.. She has shown a stunning failure of her leadership. Her campaign, in a time of economic crisis and our foreign policy drift has dengenerated into a nagative and nasty-campaign of smears. This campaign is grounded in the idea that real change does not come from the top down. Truly remarkable change has only occurred in our history when individuals have stood up, and reached out to others in our community, and made it happen.

President-elect Barack Obama fulfilled a dream of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.. American people with regards to their religions find themselves in a transcendent moment, standing between the pain of the past and the promise of the future, with audacious hope riding on the shoulders of the United States' first African-American. This historic election mean so much for American people and the people of the entire world. May God Bless Amerca.>>>> IS OUR FIRST LOVE.

November 6, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  6. John, Roswell

The republicans lost by thier own greed and misguided ambitions. We've all heard the saying " now that you have made your bed, you have to lay in it" . When the Republicans lowered the bar by electing a bumbling idiot like George W. Bush, they litteraly made thier own beds. Unfortunatley, it was not Dubya who laid in it..it was John McCain.one in the same. The Republicans need to get to work and find a candidate who is intelligent, imagine that, expecting a presidential candidate to be smart. As for Sarah Palin and 2012 good luck with that one Republicans. Better start looking.

November 6, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  7. christie

November 6, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  8. christie

To Haase: Sarah Palin was deemed to be unqualified for the job of Vice President because of her stunning lack of knowledge and a world view. Sarah Palin thinks that Africa is a country (which all 5th graders know is a continent) and thinks that she has foreign policy experience because Russia and Canada have a close or common border with Alaska. Budget experience and small town mayor experience are NOT enough to qualify someone to be Vice President. On Nov. 4 Americans had a higher standard as they selected the person who is just a heart-beat away from being president.

November 6, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  9. Jan

You have got to be kidding me! Palin more qualified then Obama! What planet are you from? She had no idea that Africa was a continent. I am a mother, a wife and a VP for a company, having 2 master degrees. Sarah does not represent the educated female voter. She could never relate to our concerns and issues!
    McCain or not...Sarah was a very poor choice.

Change is coming...thank you all who voted for Obama.

OMABA/BIDEN

November 6, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  10. Larry

Where is the outrage over Palin's wardrobe? Just because the election is over is no reason she should not be continually demonized. C'mon, we need to keep up the hatred for this whack job!

November 6, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  11. Ruth from Alabama

Every morning during the campaign CNN ran Palin's and McCain's campaign speechs. I made my decision to vote for Obama/Biden based on the words of the candidates. I was appaled by the vile lies and rumors that came straight from the mouths of Palin and McCain. There was no media spin to what we could actually see and hear the candidates say. The Rev Wright ads run by the republicans the final days of the campaign was the end of McCain/Palin's chance to represent our country. But, the campaign is over. It is time for the republican, conservatives to support our new President. It is the Christian way to act.

November 6, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  12. Donna

It really would be nice to know where he was born. Is he really an American citizen??? Obama isn't qualified for the job at all. He's only been in the senate for 145 days! How can he possibly know how to manage our nation much less how to deal with the problems of the world.
    For those of you who constantly looked for fault with Sarah Palin some-how forgot that Bill Clinton was just a govenor when he was elected president; but apparently that is different–she's female. Clinton himself said he didn't know much about foreign affairs but he was able to learn them; so isn't a lady able to learn just as well??
    It looks like the Clinton White house is back in power-Obama can't even pick his own staff!!!!

November 6, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  13. gerald mchenry

I simply didn't vote for the republican party canidate because I thought the total race was about why I should not vote for Obama not why I should vote for McCain. The politics of fear also was a complete turnoff for me. What happens when the republican party decides someone like me is someone to fear. Fear drives people to do stupid things and all this rhetoric and fear mongering is just not what I was looking for. I wanted someone with a vision not just paranoia. YES I CAN!!!

November 6, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  14. Betty, Virginia

I can only hope the far right wing will open their hearts as Christians and give their new president a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.

November 6, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  15. kkofeight

gabrielle of detroit. what qualifies you? you sure are judgemental.

November 6, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  16. djanayd

Now it's their turn to put their trust in someone they didn't vote for. Just like we have these past eight years. It's a scary feeling but they will get over it.

November 6, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  17. John

I agree with needing change, we definitely need it; however, I did not vote for Obama and do not support him. Someone who won't place his hand over his heart when the pledge of allegiance is being played, didn't wear a US flag lapel pin until he got busted out over it, denies ever hearing his pastor of 20 YEARS ever say anti-white and anti-American sermons, a wife who says this is the first time she's ever been proud to be an American, and who at one point said he would like to be sworn in with his hand on the Kuran-the Americans who voted for him got swept up in the anti Bush sentiment-I didn't like Bush either, or McCain for that matter. My vote went to who was the more proven patriot. Obama never served in the military or any other government service, which I feel should be a requirement.

November 6, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  18. Sue, Billerica, MA

And for those saying Palin's experience beats Obama, that is wrong.. she has several years as mayor of such a small town that it was like being incharge of the PTA in a bigger city, and less than 2 years as governor barely gives her any experience in that executive function, and her podunk degree obviously didn't educate her much as her ignorance on anything and her lack of desire to learn was glaringly obvious. Obama has BS degrees in political science and international law from Columbia, a law degree from Harvard, years as a Chicago community organizer, years as a lawyer for companies and communities, years as a university law professor including constitutional law, years int he Illinois state senate and then the past years in the us senate representing Illinois, if I understand that correctly. And the 2 years running this campaign that he worked for and Palin had handed to her like her wardrobe, and note he is versed on all the issues, she knows absolutely nothing on the issues, he has an analytical mind and ability to read and absorb and weigh all kinds of info as lawyers are trained and he was so good was the first black president of the harvard law review... he more than held his own in dozens of debates and interviews and also is a very successful and brilliant author of many books... so in conclusion there is no comparison as seen by his ability to win over the American public and become President, something Palin God willing will never be given that kind of power to abuse!

November 6, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  19. Sue, Billerica, MA

Okay so we saw a little of what a nice guy McCain use to seem to be 8 years ago in his concession speech, but it made me think if he is admitting now how impressive and wonderful Obama is, then doesn't that speak even more ill of McCain's character that knowing Obama was not dangerous, not unready, not a socialist nor communist nor terrorist, then that McCain smeared him with those things just to win at all costs, knowing he was none of those things, says to me McCain is all that is wrong with politics and I hope he retires while his hero status still redeems him with his base, for I can never think well of him again unfortunately for he not only endangers Obama and his family by the way he stirred up so much hatred and fear of Obama as a man who pals with terrorists, is trying to make us socialist, dangerous to be feared, it made this Obama supporter think so little of McCain and can't see how a decent human being could do that, knowing the kooks in this world, let alone that it was wrong and unfair in a campaign.. win at all costs is what McCain taught our kids by his example... but that's okay for OBama taught our kids that you can rise above people like McCain and Palin and the republican machine and not stoop to their level and sometimes the good guy does win!

November 6, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  20. mrondah

Obama won...McCain lost. Republicans need to get over it! Face it...Obama was the better candidate and I am glad that I know my vote got him into office. Now we can FINALLY see some CHANGE here in Washington!!!!

November 6, 2008 at 3:36 pm |