November 6th, 2008

Creature comforts

Editor's Note: You can read more Lisa Bloom blogs on In Session”

Lisa Bloom
AC360° Contributor
In Session Anchor

In this week of inspiring change, I want to give three cheers for a new California law that’s just been passed on a subject near and dear to my heart.

In what the Humane Society calls the most ambitious ballot measure for animals in this country’s history, California passed Prop 2 with 62 % of the vote. Prop 2 requires factory farmers to give animals a little extra room to stretch their limbs and to move like animals should. It’s cruel to force a hen to be confined with a half-dozen other birds in a tiny cage for her whole life.

It’s cruel to force a sow to live in a crate so small she can’t turn around. It’s cruel to chain a calf tightly inside a pen. Any pet owner knows that animals experience fear and suffering. This measure will provide them with some minimal creature comforts.

I’ve been a vegetarian nearly all my life because I can’t support an industry that causes so much suffering to animals. But you don’t have to be vegetarian to take a stand against cruelty, as millions of California voters demonstrated. Conditions in factory farms have to change, and it’s in our power to make it happen. Cruelty is out; compassion is in. Let’s hope this is a start of a nationwide trend.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Lisa Bloom
  1. abu

I'm glad to hear that this law has been passed, because a animal trapped in a cage would have the same feelings that of a human being would have trapped in a cage. Animals have lives too, they feel the pain of suffocation. People who have disagreed with this law should try putting themselves in a cage and feels how it is to suffocate with the little space that is provided for them. I'm only 16 and yes, i am telling all you older people who dont believe in animals rights to read how they are treated.

November 6, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  2. Joy in Seattle

I eat free range chicken because it's healthier for me. I eat eggs only from cage free, hormone free, etc free birds. I drink on organic rbHG milk. I don't think you have to go vegetarian to protect the animals and increase your own health.

November 6, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  3. Melissa, Los Angeles

@ xtina I hope you and other Pro-Lifer's practice what you preach and have adopted an orphaned child.

November 6, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  4. Tomasz

Masha'Allah, we humans are the stuards of this planet. It's nice to know we're looking out for the animals to whose care we have been entrusted.

November 6, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  5. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Cruelty to animals, will not stop until we, Humans, learn who to be HUMANE with one another. We can pass all the laws we want, but still there is so much hate, malice and cruelty that a mere law will not stop it.

I am glad that Prop. 2 passed, BUT...... we need to work on becoming a kinder, more loving people. If this political season has taught us anything it is that......hate, lies, fear and division hurt us all.

@ A. Totaro, THIS Catholic did not support Prop. 8. Peace be with you.

November 6, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  6. Sue, Billerica, MA

Someone (I can't remember who) once said to animals we humans are all Nazis. The way we treat animals we "farm" is beyond inhumane, it is out and out evil if you ask me... but we disconnect, as I do too, if we are city folk not seeing anything actually be cooped, killed and slaughtered, we don't feel responsible when we purchase the leather shoes or the steak, or chicken wings... but we are, and I too am guilty being a sometime carnivore... maybe our next social evolutionary step should be to be vegetarians. Lord knows I have tried to give up meat completely but it is hard to break a life time of meat consumption and every time I try come holidays, I revert... but maybe this will motivate me and some of you to try.

November 6, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  7. Kimberly, OH

I have been a vegetarian for 8 years now and I am so excited to see this pass. I just hope that this leads to similar initiatives in all 50 states.

November 6, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  8. A. Totaro

Sorta sad when you consider Californians have more respect for chickens than for gays. Then again, the Mormons and the Catholics didn't spend millions to disenfranchise the chickens.

November 6, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  9. Emily from Pasadena

I read a book on animal farming cruelty, and it changed me completely. After reading it, I became a vegetarian and refuse to eat meat because I didn't believe in that kind of treatment to those animals. Sure, people do eat them eventually but that is one more reason why they needed to be treated better. Not to mention, a vegetarian diet is, to me, a much more healthier diet.

November 6, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  10. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Lisa: It's encouraging to see the California voters having some animal "compassion" and I also hope it is a start of a nationwide trend. The bigger question is who will oversee this and enforce it? Something tells me the state will not have the resources to visit every factory farmer which just, unfortunately, means some farms will avoid making the changes or spend the money to make the changes. It reminds me of the "puppy mill" breeding conditions that are still evident today even though we passed the Animal Welfare Act years and years ago. It's definitely a good start!

November 6, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  11. Kim

Nice. The animals in California now have more rights than gays. Good Job, Cali.

November 6, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  12. yvonne burkes

If you want to see animal cruelty come to ms. where there are hundreds of chicken farms where the chickens are all stuffed in tiny spaces not big enough for 3 or 4 chickens to even stand up. One evening a chicken hauling truck was stopped at a traffic light. When the truck pulled off a chicken some how fell from the truck. the chicken apparently had been confined all of it's life because it did not even know it could walk. It just sat in the middle of the road with cars whizzing by it . I stopped and got it out of the road off to the side and it just sat there. When I moved to ms. I was a chicken eater. In the years I've been here and seen the deplorable conditions in which these chickens are raised,I am now unable to eat them. It's heartbreaking how these creatures are treated

November 6, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  13. Aarti Jain

I am very glad that this prop 2 passed but if we can be that sensitive to amimals as we have shown in California , what about people....... Why Did Prop 8 failed........?????
    Oh may be we are thinking of GAY people less than animals??

I fail to Understand this . You said .......... cruelity is Out and Compassion is in .. FOR WHOM?????

November 6, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  14. Lois Peck

Makes me want to cry. I commend you for your efforts! I don't have to guts to get involved. It makes me sick. So I'm grateful to you for getting involved.

November 6, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  15. xtina, chicago IL

Let's hope this is the start of a nationwide trend to also give as many rights to unborn children.

November 6, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  16. Melissa, Los Angeles

I can't believe this state voted to give more rights to animals then to human beings! I'm referring to the passage of Prop 8 which denies homosexuals the right to marry. I'm happy the animals have room to move about before they're slaughtered but I'm extremely saddened that my friends and 18,000 others that married the last 5 months are now in limbo. Can you imagine getting married and then being told that others voted against your marriage and now you're no longer married? It wasn't too long ago that interracial marriage was against the law. This type of discrimination is exactly the same regardless of religious beliefs.

November 6, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  17. Jim

Lisa we have free range cattle out here in eastern Calif. & until Los Angeles Department of Water & Power bought up allmost all the land for water rights This Valley rivaled the San Jaquine in agricultural production.
    Hope Your growing your own vegatables because you DON'T want to know all the garbage thats in the mass produced variety.

November 6, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  18. Cindy

I was glad too to see that prop two passed and now the farmers have to be more humane to their animals. Even if they are just going to kill them in the end they should be treated well up until that point. Hopefully they will do similar things all over the U.S. to stop such cruelties.

Cindy...Ga.