November 5th, 2008

Morning Buzz: You Made History

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Today we wake to the news that Barack Obama has become the 44th President of the United States. It's a historic day.

Are you all bleary-eyed like I am? I live near Times Square and let me tell you it was like the political version of New Year’s Eve complete with screaming, honking, music and people basically partying in the streets. So much for a good night’s rest. But it was worth seeing how the elections would unfold right up until the end. Many described McCain’s speech as ‘gracious’, what did you think? And of course, many stayed up late for Obama’s speech in front of more than 200,000 people in Chicago-he said, “at this defining moment, change has come to America”.

I’m sure plenty of you have mixed emotions. The popular vote was super-close, which means that only approx half of you are happy out there today, and the rest of you are dealing with not having the horse you backed in la Casa Blanca. Are you ready to get behind Obama now that the election is over? Do you think change has come to America? Or are you just bummed?

We’ve got a lot on our plate tonight, the trick is fitting it all into 2 hours, but that is a good problem for a TV producer to have. We’ll tell you how this race was won, John King can illustrate on his Magic Wall how states that had voted for Prez Bush in 2004 turned blue this year, one major factor-amongst others. In the case of Virginia for example, it’s the 1st time the majority voted Democratic in 44 years.

So how does the President-Elect spend his first day after winning the highest seat in the country? Word is that he is moving into Transition mode asap and who knows-we may get announcements about appointments end of day or week. Candy Crowley will be watching his moves in Chicago today.

Sixty-two percent of voters said the economy was the most important issue. Iraq was the most important for 10 percent, and terrorism and health care were each the top issue for 9 percent of voters so no time like the present for Obama to get a move-on, right?

Joe Biden stays in Chicago, no public events are on his schedule either. John McCain heads to his cabin and keeps low profile, and Sarah Palin returns to Alaska.

Tom Foreman tonight will look at the Winners and Losers of this election, Randi Kaye tells us about Sarah Palin’s political future, and Erica Hill looks at how Michelle Obama will fare as First Lady. See you tonight there is a lot to talk about and this is just the beginning of The Transition to Power!

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

President-Elect Obama's grandma is looking proud in heaven with Rev. Martin L. King, John & Bobby Kennedy. Dream's can come true, I told my granddaughter that this afternoon!

November 5, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  2. Henry Jim

There are winners and losers. Obama won and he won in a landslide and with this win, America's face will glow throughout the global community. I can say that Barrack's upbringing is the culmination of his being our 44th president!
    I placed a bouquet at the front door of Barack's grandmother yesterday because of the great respect and admiration of a woman who helped shape Barack's character.
    We all need to be patient with his administration to uplift the image of America and bring alliances together for the common good of all men and nations.

November 5, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  3. c,ca

I would like to hear Bay Buchanen's opinion on all the news that's coming out now about Palin. Bay has been screaming at us about how great Palin is (they have microphones, Bay, you don't have to yell) , but I wonder what she thinks now. Newsweek has a good article about Palin's outrageous spending – more than the $150k that was reported – and also, how she went off script and started a lot of the mudslinging on her own.

I felt kind of bad for McCain after reading the article. He is ending his career as a failure, who was deceived by his running mate for her own personal ambitions, and was not informed by his staff about what was really going on. But, let's face it, it was McCain's campaign and he should've taken charge.

I realize that the McCain staffers are just trying to salvage their careers by blaming everyone except themselves but, it is an interesting story.

Do Palin's supporters feel that they have been deceived? Bay – how about screaming at us, one more time, about how wonderful Palin is and how she helped McCain. And how about that "Moms for Palin" (or whatever they were called) group that Randy Kaye interviewed? Do they feel betrayed that Palin portrayed herself as something she's not?

November 5, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  4. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

"I’m sure plenty of you have mixed emotions."

Writing on the blog is like therapy sometimes. I'm truly overjoyed that, for the first time since the first year I ever voted, I feel a sense of true HOPE for the future of the U.S.–our future...my future. On the other hand, it's going to be years and years of more court battles, hate crimes, deaths, biggotry and continued brainwashing by religious organizations who will lie and deceive (because that's what "good" Christians do) to deny equality and consitutional rights for everyone, especially gay Americans.

November 5, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  5. mary

I am glad that american whites can be so open minded but i question the black vote. this election was very hard for me. i know that obama will be good to me personaly but im not shure about my children and parents. my grown sons are millitary are they going to have jobs when they get home? will the benifits they have earned still be here? what about social security will he cut it? is he really gona send our jobs to other countrys? Can he stand up to his own party ? i know lots of people think that because we have a mixed president that racism is on its way out but im not so shure, some of the people that support obama are extreamly racist they hat white people. can he stand up to them.I feal for him i would not want to be in his position. I pray that the powers that be give him the strength to do whats right regardless of party, race, religon, or sex . on a side note i hate that they call him black he is not he is mixed his mother is white his father black he is neather. if he were a dog he would be a mutt .

November 5, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  6. Julie San Diego, CA

We were very fortunate this year that we had two able candidates. While the campaign seemed to last forever, it was for the most part, cordial.

McCain's concession speech showed he was a decent individual, willing to move forward to work together with the new administration.

Obama's acceptance speech was tempered, showing America that the election was just the pre-game, now it's time to roll up our collective sleeves and begin the work of fixing the problems in this country.

We got 2 1/2 months before the voter-conferred mandate of CHANGE has any real political power. CAN WE SEND KING GEORGE TO TAHITI UNTIL THEN?

So little time, so many things for him to still screw up....

November 5, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  7. Anita Hareter

I hope (and trust) that the citizens didn't vote for a "black" man but rather voted for a "person" who they believe can bring this country back to the glory it deserves. I realize that this is a great day for all minorities, but that is not what the presidency is all about. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Obama could go one step further and choose the best persons for his cabinet no matter what their ethnicity is and no matter what political party they belong to. I am really tired of listening to senators and representatives voting for or against bills just because "my party" introduced them. It's more than time to vote for or against bills because they are good or bad for the country, not good or bad for "me" or for "my party." I fear that this will never happen, but maybe this is the right time. Let's go all the way and really make this country a democracy.

November 5, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  8. carolyn

Anderson,
    Yesterday was a beautiful day in Little Rock. Our yard crew was here trimming trees and raking leaves. These young black men have become our friends over the years, and they were working hard at lunch time. I decided to do something different to celebrate election day, and even the HOPE and POSSIBILITY that a black man could be elected President. My husband and I invited them to have lunch with us. I set a nice table on the patio, flowers in the center, and we all sat down to a big pot of homemade soup, iced tea and dessert. We held hands and said the blessing. We asked God to bring us closer as people in our country, to help us understand each other and get along as brothers and sisters. Then we celebrated with the meal. We talked about Obama, the voting process, how it felt, and through it all we made a little history too. It was better than any late night celebration! And it felt great just to be together. For us, that's what it's all about. Change is coming.

November 5, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  9. Rashelle

I Really felt that McCain got robbed here. But i do respect Obama for everything he has earned and achieved here even though i am a republican i respect him!

Rashelle, E-Town, KY

November 5, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  10. LAURA

Last night when CNN projected the winnner I finally was able to take a deep breath. As I am sure the world did too!! I listen to the comments and do understand the historical meaning of this President but I voted for Barack Obama because he was the candidate that I believe undertands the issues we are facing in this country and in the world. Not because of the color of his skin, I voted for him because of the integrity he shows and the unlimited possibilites I believe we all posses. Barack Obama inspired me to never give up and never quit. Everything is possible in this county and for a long time that feeling has been gone in this country. Yesterday we as a nation took a much needed step FORWARD. We all have a long road to walk through but with Barack Obama I do see the light at the end of this Tunnel. God Bless Barack Obama and God Bless THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!! Laura

November 5, 2008 at 10:51 am |
  11. William

The world is a better place today.

November 5, 2008 at 10:43 am |
  12. william mac

I wish CNN would stop calling Barack Obama the first BLACK AFRICAN etc. etc.
    Can't we simply treat him as an American?
    Do we call Nader or Leiberman or whoever the first or second or third
    JEW to be in politics?
    CNN stop your trickery! You are commiting suicide! Stick to reporting
    the news worldwide and continue to be first at it, instead of trying to sway people one way or another, by distorting the reporting to advantage one side or another.
    People are smarter today, and I suggest strongly that you educate yourselves accordingly.

November 5, 2008 at 9:49 am |
  13. Michelle , fonthill,onatrio Canada

Good Morning Penny

Wow what a night! This will suerly go down in history ! There was so much emotion and exictement it looked like New Year's eve in times square all over again! It was so amazing he really did it! I look forward to Erica Hill's report on tonight's show on the role of Michelle Obama as first lady .
    Thanks for the buzz
    see you later on 360!
    Michelle D.

November 5, 2008 at 9:37 am |
  14. Michelle

There is amazing story about the election from the city of
    Chesapeake, Virginia that is so telling about what this
    moment means for so many Americans. An 88 year old
    man was being involved by talking has neighbors to vote.
    While he was talking voters to the polls his home caught
    fire and he had to rescue his wife. After all of this the couple
    voted even though they lost their home. It is being reported
    by the local media in the Hampton Roads area. And you
    can not watch this couple with out being touched by their
    story.

November 5, 2008 at 9:33 am |
  15. Saad, NJ

This is indeed a marvelous moment. It has nothing, and I repeat absolutely nothing to do with President Obama being black – it has everything to do with 'hope'. Hope for a better future for our country and the world – something that we had started losing in the last 8 years.

God Bless.

November 5, 2008 at 9:29 am |
  16. Charisse Van Horn

Last night, America finally apologized for her years of slavery, racism, and oppression-
    True forgiveness always brings change

November 5, 2008 at 9:16 am |
  17. D. Ann

Penny,

To answer your question ... no, I will not get behind Obama. He is the antithesis of my worldview. He is not my president and I will do everthing in my power to see that he is not reelected. My state went for McCain so it may mean that I have to move out of my homestate to campaign agaist Obama in 2012.

This is a sad day in America. I think it is awesome that a black man is president, just not a socialist dictator with strong ties to terrorists who thinks it's OK to kill babies. Not to mention that he is going to destroy our defense capabilties, create a civilian security force to police us, and take away our 2nd ammendment rights.

How can any American get behind his ideology?

November 5, 2008 at 9:09 am |
  18. Brandi Boyer

Anderson:

After only 3 hours of sleep last night, I still awoke with a big smile and this wonderful feeling of a dawn of a new country. I can only hope that this feeling clings with all of us who voted for Obama/Biden, and that this change trickles into our everyday lives. History was made in so many ways last night that I can not wait until the day when I am much older and can tell my grandchildren just how Barack Obama and Joe Biden were elected.

Just one other thought for Barack Obama. I believe that in honor of this campaign, they should purchase a pitbull and name it "Lipstick."

November 5, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  19. Annie Kate

Some change has come to America just by electing Obama. The rest of the changes we want to see we'll all have to work for. Obama gave an amazing speech last night and John McCain was very gracious in his concession speech and he was the first one to step up to the plate and say that he looked forward to working with Obama to get the country on a tract that was good for us all. Both men were a class act.

We did make history last night. I read all about history all the time but this was the first time I could really step back and see that we had made history ourselves. Its a nice feeling and its a beautiful day.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 5, 2008 at 8:29 am |
  20. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Penny!
    Ist like the DAY AFTER!

November 5, 2008 at 8:28 am |
  21. Jasna Vattoth, New Rochelle, NY

Today is a new day of hope, of change. I woke up this morning with a feeling I have not had in years. No morning has felt so refreshing in years as this one. This isn't just a victory of the African Americans or of the minorities in America; this is a victory of hope over fear, a victory of new ideas over past failures. This is a victory of the truth over the notion that majority of the Americans are racial. This is a new beginning to many in America and an end to those excuses saying " I cannot and could never because I am a minority" . This is a proof that "yes we can" & "Yes we have".

November 5, 2008 at 8:24 am |
  22. Alberta Hendricks

Obama, I'm all for you, and what we as a nation can do to change the
    United States of American. I know you will do the best job possible to save our country from disaster, that is where we were headed.
    God bless you, your wife, and children, and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

November 5, 2008 at 8:14 am |