November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Don, WA

It kinda feels like a global celebration...does'nt it? Most of my travels were in my navy days, and I heard the same from the greeks, the italians, germans, french, and puerto rican's..."we like yuh american, we just don't like Bush." Obama has a face of wisdom that say's "let's get along." Not that he won't fight if necessary...but these are strange wars today...not fought in old school ways....I feel more secure as a country today.

November 5, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  2. Martie

I can't believe Palin said she wasn't going to participate in the negativity – is it possible she's finally seen the light? And I can't believe she doesn't realize (or refuses to acknowledge) that she cost McCain many, many votes.

November 5, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  3. Heather,ca

When I was in junior high back in the mid 80's we took to a trip to DC and Williamsburg. I went to every monument even the White House. I will never forget seeing the words"all men are created equal". Last night all of us "we the people"voted to make those words have a literal meaning for the next volume of history books and maybe a monument to Pres Obama. We all will recall for future generations too young now to remember and those yet to be born what the country was like and the feeling we all felt to make a dream come true for all mankind.

November 5, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  4. Emma

The election is over and I'm amazed people are still criticizing McCain and Palin. People, let it go. McCain was incredibly gracious last night. He has served our country and he deserves our respect.

November 5, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  5. Bobbie

OK, let's take a breath here. Are we actually listening to some of the comments? Barack Obama will unite the world?!! Congressman Charlie Rangel actually said "...Who is our hero? Barack Obama. Who is going to lead us out of poverty? Barack Obama. Who is going to save the United States of America? Barack Obama. Who is going to save the entire world? Barack Obama. And who do we love? Barack Obama. " Kenya is declaring a national holiday?! This is taking on a messianic/cultish quality that is getting creepy.

November 5, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  6. Cortez

Oh and I support McCain for secretary of state he definately has the skills

November 5, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  7. Amy

I am a U.S. citizen living in Canada because I cannot sponsor my same-sex partner for Immigration due to the fact there is no federal recognition of our relationship. I am disgusted that more and more states continue to ban gay marriage. Why doesn't anyone call it what it is? These laws are simply a new generation of Jim Crow Laws with the target group being the GLBT population.

November 5, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  8. Emma

Now, the next goal is to have a woman as President. However, in my opinion, that's a much higher glass ceiling to break. Sure, there are many cracks but we still have a lot of work before we actually break it.

November 5, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Imani from Maryland

I think that McCain should be afford a position but not that position... And Absolutly no to Arnold on security, have you reviewed California's situation lately.

November 5, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

The world people are so thrilled for Obama and they were so tear and joy for him!!! 🙂 That will be so exciting for people their reaction to Obama!

November 5, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  11. Cortez

I think Obama will strive for bi-partisianship but what I am afraid of is that even though he may hold is hand out , many republicans will not accept and continue to stand on party ideals just to make things difficult.

November 5, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  12. Phil W.

Yes, a great victory for America, and a significant hurdle and barrier crossed for race in this country...BUT, at the end of the day, history will judge Obama's administration on all he does as a President, and not as a black man in America. All the issues on the table are color blind. Yes, there is hope, but what comes with it are extremely high expectations for what is typically a very impatient, and unforgiving America. Results over rhetoric will be the rule to live by for the next four years.

November 5, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

I agree, yes, the republicans need to let the honeymoon happen. Also, it seems to me that is the mood of the country. We might be ready for that.

November 5, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  14. Martie

It's heartwarming to see so many around the world welcoming us back into a position of world leadership.

November 5, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  15. Floyed S, McDonald

Yes Barack Obama is a Afirican American, but from the very first time I heard his words I've understood him to be a man of color, (The Red White and Blue)

November 5, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

I prayed for Obama to be elected and now I pray for his safety. Its exhilerating that he was elected to be president but there are those who do not like it and Ive heard about them, but I also know that he will have the best of the best of the best secret service agents to watch over him and his family.

November 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  17. Omar, AZ

Good evening Anderson. I would just like to say that a lot of my friends from the Philippines, young professionals like myself, are very happy with the US Presidential Election turnout. We were all watching the election results as we chatted through Instant Messaging. It was a wonderful moment when Wolf Blitzer called out that CNN projects Barack Obama will be the 44th President of the United States. Wolf Blitzer was also right that people will remember where they were when it was announced that Barack Obama will be president. I did, and my friends did too.

By the way, great job in showing the simultaneous scenes of people's reactions on the election results across the US. It made people at home feel like they were one with the jubilation across the country.

November 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  18. bryan

Hi all. Im fom Canada ive been following this campaine for months now. What i saw lastnight on cnn brought tears to my eyes of joy. I am happy for Americans this day and the change that just began. God bless you all...

November 5, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  19. Kristen, New Orleans

Nov.4th is a day I will never forget. I could have never predicted how I would react to this historic moment. Last night tears poured from my eyes as I held my one year old son in my arms. As an African American and single mom raising my son without the help of his father I am confident that there is hope. I am confident now that my son can soar like the eagles. I am so proud of Barack Obama and all that he stands for.

November 5, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  20. Martie

If David is right, it will be disappointing if more moderate Republicans aren't brought it – but there don't seem to be too many of them left – unless Colin Powell is willing to jump on board.

November 5, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  21. Emile

Hey What do you think of offering Secratary of State to McCain. It would show bipartisanship and heal republican wounds. Or even Arnold as director of security

November 5, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  22. Steve - southern Illinois

Man I'm in Illinois and sad to say that McCain won the county I'm living in. That creeps me out.

November 5, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  23. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Lets hope those on Capitol hill aren't sharping their claws...We really do have to compromise..both parties do.

November 5, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  24. Ray Bilodeau

The key to being a good president is that Obama is able to make sound dicisions and artfully delagate some of the tasks to qualified members of his staff.. the proof that community organizing is very much the American way.

November 5, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  25. Imani from Maryland

Anna, it will take some time for everyone to see people for they are. If you look at who voted for Obama alot of southeners did wake up...but agree they should move a little faster.

November 5, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  26. Jennifer

Last night the whole world witnessed Martin Luther King Jr's dream and it was beautiful.

November 5, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  27. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

I'm excited to see how much farther Obama can make inroads in the south in 2012:)
    I just pray that everyone can be patient and understand that it will take years to change things with economy and world issues.
    The best part is that Obama can give us hope and keep us motivated to move forward and keep steady in turbulent times!

November 5, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  28. Ian in Canada

We have great hopes for a kinder, gentler USA, our great neighbor to the south. Today is a new day for the world.

November 5, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  29. Jeremy MS

I am a conservative republican who voted for John McCain; but in the moment Barrack Obama was named President-Elect of the United states, my spirit soared as well and my heart, too, was over-joyed because this was a victory for all Americans. Indeed, a new day has dawned and it brings a smile to my face. What a beautiful sight to see Barrack, Michelle & their girls introduced at Grant Park as our next first family! I am still a conservative republican...I am still a redneck from South Mississippi. It isn't fair to assume I am dissappointed and grumbling in defeat. Partisanship & polarization of Americans is a disease & it has to end. I do not have to be wrong for you to be right, and vice versa. Hail to the Chief!

November 5, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  30. Dan - Dallas, TX

Obama Wins Dallas!!!! The “Magic Map” fails to show that Obama won Dallas – yes Dallas, TX – the city/county where Bush will retire!!!! Dallas is either the 7th or 8th largest city in the U.S. and is in the heart of Bush country but this fact has not been mentioned.

November 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  31. Adam from Georgia

Holograms? Star Wars and Lord of the Rings references? Disappearing anchorwomen? CNN is the best news network of all time.

November 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  32. Liz

@ Mike, Syracuse NY given your vitriolic posts over the past two months it's astounding that you can accuse others of hateful comments.

While I don't expect those who have strong philosophical differences w/Obama or the democratic party to suddenly sing Kumbaya, I would hope you would take a page out of McCain's speech last night. It was pure class.

November 5, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  33. Imani from Maryland

I think personal that this is was a big day for not jsut African Americans. It gave others a chance to change the world veiw of the race's in America.

November 5, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  34. Natasha

President Elect Obama is and always will be high on the list as an inspiration to us Black people! I see and hear a lot of people saying that race does not matter, however, this is in fact a country that was founded on slavery of Blacks. We hold this as a true victory because it means for us that YES WE CAN and we DID!

Please stop trying to take this occasion away from us by saying we should not focus on his race. Yes, I agree that this is not all that matters. But to Blacks it matter most! He has given us a higher standard to hold ourselves accountable to. I am so honored to be alive to witness this day. This will begin the much needed healing of our country.

November 5, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  35. Sue

Hi Anderson,
    I am beyond happy today! I am so proud to be a part of this amazing new chapter in our country's history.
    I grew up in the turbulent 60's and when it was announced that Obama won I wept thinking of Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and all our leaders who fought for the rights of all Americans.
    I'm especially proud today being an Ohioan!!!

November 5, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  36. coco

I am so happy that the Bradley effect was defeated last night. America finally became a new world, now the real work begins. god Bless America.

November 5, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

I too am disappointed about Prop 8 and others that banned gay marriage.

It just another example of how religious conservatism is infecting national politics. This measure is based on religion and therefore has no place in politics whatsoever.

November 5, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  38. Imani from Maryland

The first thing we talked about at school today was the awsome holograms!

November 5, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I love hologram!!!! it was so amazing to see people beam up!!! look like Star Trek!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  40. Jorge

the program was great, thanks

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  41. Martie

For Mike in Maine: I believe that God made everyone, including Adam and Ed. I don't believe that God makes mistakes and I don't understand Christians who believe God does make mistakes.

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  42. Jennifer

I was truly proud to witness America move forward and correct the biggest hippocrasy that existed on the planet. My heart was full, my faith restored; to witness ignorance defeated.
    Obama is our greatest national treasure and must be protected; The Pope Mobile, I elect the Obama Mobile.

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  43. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

Now that election is over, I can actually stop eating so much junk food (nervous energy:)) and actually get some sleep!!! LOL
    Thanks to CNN for the best politcal coverage....I am and will always be a Coopermartinbrowngeranite!

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  44. Steve - southern Illinois

How did you manage to keep those holograms a secret until last night?

My wife and I enjoyed them.

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  45. anna

what the girl from alabama said is true....why this deep south cant wake up?why is so hard for them to understand that he is just a man , an intelligent one and now he is the president of USA....

November 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  46. Christine C. Brewster, MA

I can't find the words to describe the depths of emotion I experienced last night when CNN pronounced Barack Obama the winner.
    So much hope, so much pride in the active participation and enthusiasm on the part of young voters, the disinfranchised, and the disillusioned. So much admiration for a man who won over the people with his calm demeanor, organizational skills, his message of optimism and inclusion.
    I will never forget the look of wonder and utter joy on the faces of those who never thought they would live to see a fellow Person of Color elected to the highest office in the land, or the images of the young voters and campaign volunteers who's long hours and hard work spent encouraging others to turn out to vote were rewarded with a historic victory.
    There is a new sense of promise in our country today.....

November 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  47. Imra K3 IL

I am not for that same sex stuff but I also do not want to follow people around to see what they are doing, they like the rest of us will have to face the LORD for our actions and in actions!

November 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  48. Adam

The poeple of CA voted and made their decision. I can't believe the comment about having the govenor over turn the vote! Do you hear yourselves? We vote for a reason and to try and over turn a vote is against what this country stands for. Why vote if the issue is just going to be turned over to some politics to get it overturned?

November 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

Many of us are forgetting that Barack Obama also has a funeral to plan and attend in the next few days. Lets not forget he lost his dear grandma Sunday night. I'm sure it is a bittersweet victory for him but I am glad his grandma got to vote for him.

November 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  50. Sean Patrick

I am a college graduate, single, working professional, white male in my 40's. Before the election, I was not excited about either candidate. After the election I am excited to hear such statements as "this is a "time for science" and a "time for intellect". Now I am more optimistic about the future. I will support the next president as much as I can while not giving up my values. I value my small town community, I value Christian ideals, and I value my ability to make my own decisions about my life. I also value the money in my wallet, my bank account and my 401(k). I do not want my hard earned savings and my ability to earn more to suffer. I want to see good things continue to happen in my community and around the nation. I also want my savings to grow so I can continue to enjoy my life and retire very comfortably.

November 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm |