November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Lorna

thanks for explaining how the hologram works. that was pretty awesome!

November 5, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  2. Lissa

Ozzy – of all of them, I liked Huckabee the best. The guy had absolute zest for the campaign trail, tenaciousness and a wonderful sense of humor. I didn't like the jabs he took at the Convention but it was probably expected of him. Still, he said something I took away with me, when McCain was seeking a VP pick. He said, and I paraphrase, "I can say without regrets that I never spoke negatively against John McCain." And that's the class that I see in Obama – even when attacked, he used defense and cool calmness "on topic" instead of tit-for-tat. Huckabee had that too, so I'd love to see him in the running.

November 5, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  3. Cortez

I love the technology you all had las night, hopefully things like this will continually be on the show. It shows where our science has come and will be going.

November 5, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  4. judy

Yes We Did! I'm so proud to be an American!

November 5, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Breaking news..Erica Hill disappears from the ac360set...Hologram at 11pm...

November 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

California appears to lead the way in gay rights so I have confidence that their Supreme Court will repeal this ban in the near future.

November 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  7. Don, WA

I really liked the hologram...can yuh send Jessica Alba to my house?

November 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  8. Lacey

I as many others voted for Obama and I am so thrilled and am glad that he won. Not just because he made history but because I think he will be great for this country. But while speaking to many of my friends, while surfing a popular network site (I think we all know then one) and receiving emails today from people that I know who all have different opinions I was shocked and amazed by the people who did not vote for him, and it was not from everyone, but there are many out there that still believe his is a "Terrorist" and making such horrible comments like "Oh great we elected Osama Bin Laden" and I was just amazed that after such a long political campaign and after how far this nation has come, that we can still not get past all of this. Hopefully someday we can, and just look at the fact that history was made and lets look at how we can make our country better. We all need to work together to get this economy on the right track. "We the People!" Congratulations Obama I look forward to the next 4 years and good luck!

November 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  9. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Erica disappearing! Wow, that's even cooler than the holograms! Thanks for showing us a little bit of the behind the scenes on that technology. Very cool.

November 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  10. Jermaine (NJ)

A positive professional black couple showing love in front of the nation, simply beautiful. The Obama's have a good marriage. No scandals.

November 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  11. Jen

Fifty years from now we will look back on our prejudices about gay rights and once again realize how stupid we were. After going through women's rights, african american rights, Irish Catholics, Jews, etc., can we still not get over our fears of the unfamiliar, have a little foresight, and speed up this process of evolution just a tad?

November 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  12. Uma in Liverpool, UK

This hologram tech-stuff is rocking!

Nice disappearing act, Erica! 😀

November 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

Those hollograms were great!

November 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  14. Mike Biasin from Wells Maine

How did she do that star trek stunt? That was cool.

November 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  15. CAROLYN JONES

hi anderson&erica! cnn came up, technology.

November 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  16. Jan - Montana

I wholeheartedly agree with Cortez. Godspeed to our next president, Barak Obama. My thoughts and prayers and good wishes are with him. Congrats, also, to Sen. McCain for his sincere and heartfelt concesssion speech. I was proud of my country last night.

November 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  17. Katie

Hi Anderson – just wanted to comment on the story you just ran that discussed how Akransas voters have approved a measure banning gay couples from adopting children. In fact, the ban goes further than just gay couples to ban all unmarried couples who are living together (heterosexual or homosexual) as well as single men or women from being adoptive or foster parents.

Yes, it was aimed primarily at keeping gays from becoming foster or adoptive parents, but given the very restrictive nature of the ban, though you might want to clarify.

November 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  18. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

Thank you for showing us how the hologram works! Yay! I was wondering about that all night!! It was really cool! And Erica is too funny with her disappearing act!

November 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Day of the shot with hologram!!!! it is so amazing to beam up!!!! very cute!!! LOL!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  20. Genevieve M, TX

This country will not only have a Democratic congress, but also a Democrat for President. Obama should have an easy time doing whatever he wishes, esp since there will likely not be much resistance.

This "lack of balance" for the next four years is both annoying and depressing. 😦

November 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  21. Diane - IL

The hologram was really cool. Now if we could only beam a hologram of Anderson into our homes. 😉

November 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  22. James Kerr

Although I support and rejoice in the first African American president of the United States...I'm deeply sadden that the same race, on the same day support measures to deny the civil right of other. How far have we really come?

November 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  23. EJ (USA)

Our country still has a very long way to go. I hope that one day my children will see their first Gay president.

You mean "openly gay." I am certain that we have already had our first gay president. : )

November 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  24. MaryBeth

Seriously, if being gay was wrong, biblically, then no gay persons would exist because they would have been destroyed when Sodom and Gamorrah were destroyed. Obviously, homosexuality is a genetic thing and cannot be "bred" out or "cured." Why does everyone think gay people are going to somehow pervert or abuse kids. They're GAY...not PEDOPHILES.

November 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  25. Jermaine (NJ)

Yo, That hollagram stuff was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! I remember Star trek, and Minority Report with Tom Cruise. Now this movie stuff is on CNN....amazing!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  26. James, OH

I hope we get to see more from the No on Prop8 rally.
    I can't believe that nonsense passed. How awful for all those beautiful couples to have their rights ripped away from them. I thought of George Takai, and remembered how happy he was to get married... how can people sleep at night knowing their votes took that away from him?
    But goodness knows this fight will continue. Love cannot be stopped!

November 5, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  27. Karin - Canada

While I realize that the topic of same sex marriage is a very touchy issue for so many people in both our countries, I don't know any married traditional married couple here in Canada that has expressed any negative impact on such a union on their own marriage. After all, gay and lesbians are people just like us. If we can look beyond color, why can't we accept that otherwise sexually oriented people want to be like any other family and I mean legally.

November 5, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  28. Lissa

I've been wondering how to get a message to the Obamas...the girls are allergic to dogs, from what I heard during the campaign. Well, I have a shih-tzu puppy and he is not only the most loving and lovable dog ever – and scores REALLY high as far as friendliness and kids especially – but the Shih is a hypo-allergenic dog. Perfect pet for kids with allergies.

Hey, Anderson or Erica – can you ask one of the reporters on the ground to make the suggestion? 😉

November 5, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  29. Claire

I'm so happy that my state, Florida, went for Obama! It's going to be an interesting couple of years. I can't wait to see what the Obama's do. I do believe Michelle will be a unique and wonderful first lady.

As a white woman, I am proud that our country. It's a sign that we are moving in the right direction!

November 5, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  30. Karen (CRR)

The CNN hologram was awesome. It rocked.

November 5, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  31. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

I am shocked by Prop 8 in California..That law was just put into effect a few months ago when Ellen got married....
    Can someone explain how it then becomes a votable issue again after being passed before? I hope they look closely at the votes..

November 5, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Lorie Ann, Buelton, CA:

I agree with you about Sarah Palin. All we are hearing now is that we need to "unite" but there are still those who insist on digging into Palin and/or the blame game. Let's move forward and let those involved in the Republican campaign figure it out and address things themselves.

November 5, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  33. Maureen T

I can't wait for Michelle Obama to be the first black first lady!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  34. Audrey Przybylski

I believe that Obama will be one of our greatest, creative presidents in our lifetime.

Obama lives with a desire to do unto others as they do unto you. He is a living example, of inspiration.

His faith is undeniable and his discipline to do the right thing will make us a better America. His leadership will empower Americans and the world.

November 5, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  35. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I wish Michelle Obama all the best. Being a First Lady requires so much more than we think. Lots of work

November 5, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  36. Jen

That's so sad about the anti-gay propositions passing. One group rises further out of oppression and another is pushed further down into oppression in the same election.

November 5, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  37. Yvonne in Georgia

In 2012 I'll knock on some more doors to make sure Obama wins Georgia. We were just missing about 200,000 votes.

November 5, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  38. Bill

Anderson: I am more than annoyed that Prop 8 passed, because at the very time blacks are being released from discrimination, we gays and lesbians are being yoked by it once again. And prominent media people who could come out and make a difference have not. I hope you think about this long and hard!

November 5, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  39. Max, Dallas, TX

It's absolutely sickening that all those awful propositions to ban gay marriage and adoption passed.
    Hearing that news really brought me down from Obama's win.

November 5, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  40. Martie

Andrena: Our vote is always so important – even if your vote "didn't count" (so to speak) in giving your state's electoral votes to President-Elect Obama, it did count in giving him the all-important mandate he gained in the popular vote.

November 5, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  41. Cortez

@Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Actually I dont think we heard the last of Sara Palin as you see tonight the blame game is just now beginning

November 5, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  42. kathy

Isn't it sweet that Obama will save a puppy from a shelter but will vote to let babies that survive botched murders (oh sorry abortions) die. Oh yes, change has come but understand in Galatians it says "do not be deceived, God cannot be mocked, whatsoever a man sows he reaps. Our country has sown that we no longer revere the God who gave them life. I have prayed that God will not give us what we deserve but great mercy. He will if we will humble ourselves, turn from our wicked ways and ask.

November 5, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  43. Ozzy Alvarez

Lissa,

I agree with you. In fact, I see either Romney, Pawlenty, or Huckabee as the potential GOP Nominee in 2012, and as Obama's opponent for the Presidency in 2012. While I see Bobby Jindal as the brightest future for the party, he is still young enough(he's only 36 years old) that he can wait until 2016 before running for the Presidency.

Ozzy

November 5, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  44. Diane McKeel, WA

I remember when after we lost JFk a poet said something like this" as a nation we will laugh again, but we will never feel young again."
    Now I feel as a nation we have a great chance with Barrack Obama to feel young again.

November 5, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, the webcast and webcam aren't working? It's just a blank screen. Oh well, hope it's good.

November 5, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  46. MaryBeth

I'm sorry, in a previous post I said Prop 8 failed, I meant passed.

November 5, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think its sad that we live in a free country but at the same time we are not completely free. I hope Obama will change that

November 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Maureen T

Arkansas banning gay couples from adopting children? What is that about?? I totally disagree...Michigan allowing medical marijuana? Some of these states are too conservative, Michigan obviously liberal...Michigan may have some visitors...:)

November 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  49. stephanie

I'm so proud that the state I live in, Fl., not where I'm from, turned blue. I am surrounded by Republicans, including some Washington lobbyists. I am, however, sad that they voted against Gay Rights. I guess thats something we all still have to work on.

November 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Mike Biasin from Wells Maine

As for Proposition 8 California did the right thing by approving it and denying same sex marriage. God didn't make Adam and Ed, he made Adam and Eve with the right plumbing for the job. 🙂 Californians possibly averted the judgment of God by voting the way they did.

November 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |