November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Abby

Our country still has a very long way to go. I hope that one day my children will see their first Gay president.

November 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Brett

Lets do the Mccain thing stand up and fight for dbama and we won.
    A new day a new era in america begins on Jan 20, 2009 the turn aroun is coming change change and more change. we welcome u obama with arms wide open to deliver yes u can
    God Bless America and may god bless our new president and new power in the USA.

November 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Good segment from Tom Foreman. Thanks for covering the results of other items on the ballots across the states.

November 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Cortez

As a African American Male I am overjoyed about Obama's election, for me it was not just about his race, but because he is educated, a role model, and a force for change this country needs.

I also admired John McCain I feel he is not the one that lost last night, who lost was the conservative base of the party.

Congrats Obama and the U.S.A.

November 5, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Michael

Shame on CA, FL, and AZ for banning gay marriage! Such a contrast to Obama being elected. Change is sooooo slooooow.

November 5, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

How can a ban on gay marriage even be up for a vote? It's in the constitution that WE ARE ALL CREATED EQUAL and have equal rights. I don't get it.

November 5, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

JoAnn,
    I agree with you.......... you're right!!! you have good point about gays marriage.....

November 5, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse NY

Tom F, Good point. During this election the pure hatred by many Obama supporters for Bush and by extension McCain has been horrible. Now they want us all to come together. Not a chance. McCain has served the US over 20 years in uniform and 26 years in the Senate. He deserved better treatment than he got.

November 5, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  9. MaryBeth

I can't believe Proposition 8 failed in California, of all places. Can Schwarzaneggar overturn it?

November 5, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Barbara P.,Gaffney SC

I hope California's Prop 8 gets repealed by their state supreme court. What ever happened to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That is Americas next hurdle. We as as Americans cannot judge other Americans that is our makers job. We need to stop pushing our ideals on others.

November 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Abby

How dare anyone ban same-sex marriage.

Our country still has a very long way to go regarding basic constitutional rights. We'll know that our country is really "there" when we can elect a half-Black, half-Asian Lesbian.

November 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Stacy

Good point Greg S. in Chicago. Last night broke barriers, but we obviously still have a way to go.

November 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Donna

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! We witnessed history last night! What a thrill it was! Best Wishes to President Elect Obama and his team!

November 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Oprah was too funny today on her show. She spoke about leaning all over that guy who she didn't even know. Between her today and Obama's Grant Park extravaganza yesterday, who could not help but feel the "energy" of Americans.

November 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Andrena Oglesby

Even though Obama did not carry SC, I am proud to be apart of history, along with my family. I just hope and pray that this can be a eye opener for the future generations of the south. I already see it in my children and there friends. They dont see color, only each other.

November 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Karin - Canada

We are thrilled to know that Sen. Barack Obama will be the nest President of the United States. My husband, who is American voted for Sen. Obama and couldn't be happier. We all must be prepared to be patient and be realistic that change will not be instantanously but it will be a steep climb. Change will happen, not overnight, but as long as the change is in the right direction, change will happen. Your support during this time will make it happen.

November 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Kristi Smith

Congratulations America! We are on our way to mending the fences around the world. Stay proud and true to our freedom, believe in the change and strive to help in the transition into one for all and all for one. We are all beautiful no matter looks, race, gender, religion, or choices, etc. GO USA!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Mike Biasin from Wells Maine

We haven't seen the last of Sarah Palin. That awesome voice and personality will pop up again in the near future.

November 5, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Tina, Milwaukee,WI

Yesterday was an amazing day. I watched the people gathering in Grant Park and wished that I could have been there to feel the excitement from the crowd.

The passing for Prop 8 in California is very disappointing.

November 5, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Uma in Liverpool, UK

We'll know the real 'highest, hardest ceiling' has been broken, when a gay or lesbian President moves into the White House, wiith his/her spouse, and adoptive children.

Some really shameful ballot initiatives...

November 5, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think we should leave Governor Palin alone. They lost and what's the point of tearing her down over and over. We do need to move on.

November 5, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Maureen T

Bu-bye Sarah Palin!

November 5, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Diane - IL

One more thing to love Obama for, going to the shelter to adopt a dog. There are so many great dogs available these days. I adopted my dog 14+ years ago. She has out lived and better behaved than most people's dogs that are purebreds.

November 5, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Bob

The election of Obama is a great step forward towards ending racial discrimination in this country. It boggles my mind that on this same day, Arizona, Arkansas, California and Florida decided to make discrimination part of their respective constitutions. It's disgusting, it's wrong, and I hope Obama addresses this issue during his administration. The measures voted into law by these states have nothing to do with protecting marriage, or protecting kids – they are flat out discrimination.

November 5, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Brittanie

Aloha from Honolulu Anderson! As a young person from Ohio (where I voted absentee) I can't express the catharsis I experienced as the results from Ohio and from the Electoral Race were announced. My generation has been choking on cynicism and hypocrisy for too long. I am thankful for Barack Obama's ability to motivate the youth. Respect for my peers has been restored through this election, and more importantly my esteem as a citizen of this country has exponentially been raised this week.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” -Martin Luther

November 5, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Martie

The Repubs will continue to have problems as long as they embrace the us vs. them, non-inclusive attitudes that were all too prevalent in this campaign.

November 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Liz

Martie – I agree. My friends and I talked about that as we watched the coverage. People of every race, every walk of life coming together to show their support and celebrate. It was wonderful!

November 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Uma in Liverpool, UK

I remember the Chicago Police Riots of 1968, in Grant Park.

What a great way to re-consecrate that ground. *snif*

November 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Ken in NC

Anderson I am a Black male that grew up in the mid 50's and 60's in segregation and yesterday I began to cry tears of joy. I marched in the 60's and went to the March on Washington as a youth. This night has given to me the final joy of that march. My daughter called me telling me of how she understands now of the pride I always tried to instill within her as a child. That pride surfaced in her last night and we both cried with our tears of joy.

Now we must all come together as one people and as one nation to lift ourselves up from this mess we are in.

November 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Marc

From EJ:

November 5th, 2008 10:22 pm ET

What happens to the leftover millions Obama has?

He can

1) donate it to charity

2) save it for a future (2012) race

3) donate it to help another political election

and

4) I forget what #4 is.

From Marc: Good Job ! – I only remembered #4 – give the money back to those that contributed the money.

November 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Abby

Ed Rollins & Alex Castellanos: You both bring a lot of respect and intelligence to the Republican party. Don't allow people like Sarah Palin share the space with you. It brings your entire party down, alienates people, and brings shame to all Republicans.

To all: YES WE CAN!!!! Let's UNITE under this blessed leader and transformational family. Enjoy these beautiful moments and be grateful for this historic day.

November 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Patricia W. in Edmonton, Canada

Anthony from Ontario...I am not sure what he does with the rest of his campaign funds but I hope he will remember the wonderful support that Hillary has given him and pays down her campaign debt.

November 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

When I saw the large crowd in front of the White House I was waiting to see the U-Haul truck come driving up

November 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Rachael

I wonder if Palin will run against Obama if he does very well the next 4 year?

November 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Wow!!! She is so amazing lady first time to vote Obama..... only 106 years old!!! Congrats Nixon-Cooper!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Lissa

Ozzy...any of those men – not the woman, sorry – would have made a formidable opponent as either presidential or vice-presidential candidate. I was surprised Romney wasn't the VP pick.

November 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Lauren

Today I woke up happier and with more hope than I have had in years. It was like the Berlin Wall fell again, but this time, a wall came down than until yesterday I, as a White woman, did not even realize was oppressing especially Blacks but even those Americans who looked like me. God is good! I feel blessed that this has happened in my lifetime.

November 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Kerry Dean

I used to have to say I am sorry about my government before I could "chat" with persons from overseas on the Internet. I can now talk with most people and they say...."America is great, you get to pick people like Barack to lead your country." Faith in America is back!!!!

Yes it is!
    Kerry

November 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I can't understand how CA thinks that gay marriage is more of a threat than an unqualified president! Unbelievable!

November 5, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Sasha from Michigan

I think it's more the lack of support from americans for the republican party. They have lots of talent, but it's not going to reach it's full potential if people aren't electing them.

November 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Lorna

evening! oh what a day! that was such a unifying speech

quite disappointing when it comes to proposition 8, however. how could CA reverse its landmark decision of several months ago? i cannot believe we're taking unnecessary steps backwards.

November 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  42. brian BC/Canada

You got it right USA, the free World needed Obama, now more than ever before.

November 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Minou, New York City

We now have an immigrant for governor of the biggest state, and an African American for president.
    I am an immigrant and this somehow makes me feel that I can do anything in this great country. I've never felt that before.

November 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Stella

A Brit living in Canada who has been addicted to CNN during the run up to the election. Congratulations on your choice. It is obvious that millions around the world are longing for a man with vision to represent them . They are obviously in short supply. Memories of Churchill, JFK but an even more historic moment inasmuch as many who have felt disenfranchised and forgotten no longer feel so.

November 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Greg S. in Chicago

Interesting that we are all congratulating ourselves on how far we've come, and yet saw citizens of three more states deny an entire group of people the same rights the rest of us enjoy. When Obama asked, "does anyone still doubt that anything is possible?" – I say, "ask gay people that question."

November 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Maureen T

Barack's winning meant a lot to the black community but please don't forget that his supporter's are a diverse group of people!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  47. afrodita

Last night was a wonderful night for me, I was born in the Dominican Republic, I am an American citizen. i actually woke up my 5yr old daughter. I told her if she new who he was and she said , "yes mami, he is barack obama the next president of the united states that looks like me," I cried like a baby.

November 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  48. K.C. Atlanta

🙂

November 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  49. lampe

Although, I did not support Obama. I would like to say "CONGRATS" to his supporters. I only hope, that he can make the changes, you all are so eager to have. I also want to send a Pray, to The Obamas. Make god spread his wings around you and make your journey, a pleasent one, and keep you safe.

November 5, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

Tonight will be the first night to sleep:):) only after midnight though when show is over!
    Just want to thank everyone at CNN for the absolute best political coverage and commentary!
    I'm a Coopergerganite:)