November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Jana, Indiana

I wonder what Bush thought or felt knowing all of those people were outside the White House celebrating a Democrat victory?

November 5, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  2. lynn

People and the pundits should take a deep breath and give President elect Obama a chance to roll out his whole team and cabinet. He wasn't even elected 24 hrs ago!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Justin From Philly

This is a big step in right direction for america. As an african-american and a junior at temple university i can't believe i'm admitting this but me and about 300 students was in my apartment watching the election and when he won people started going crazy. It took a while for it to hit me but i just broke down and cryed like a little biotch and could'nt stop for some reason because it was unbelievable. President Obama has some challenges ahead but we need to be realistic also about a lot of these problems that will take time. I can guarantee you that he will reach across party lines to get things done for america. Even tho i grew up in philadelphia i could not imagine how the black people down south feel right now who went thru some real racism. Every american should be proud of this day.

November 5, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Terry

I am a bi racial child just like barack obama. My mom is white and my dad is african american. Obama has inspired me and made me believe that anything is possible. I have cried tears of joy since last night. I am proud to be an American and proud that Barack Obama will be our next president. Obama is my hero

November 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  5. James E Stevenson

Obama not only utilized e-mail he also used text messaging and instant messaging to get the youth to participate in his campaign and also to vote. Most people now 18-40 now use their cell phones to text, IM and e-mail, oh and also to make phone calls, somtimes

November 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Steve - southern Illinois

I can't wait to meet the Obamas' dog and watch the dog and his kids grow over the next eight years!

November 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  7. jackie

In order to reclaim America’s position in our world, we can no longer make choices based on the color of one’s skin. There is still some racial ignorance in America, but that too shall pass in time. . According to active Census stats, Caucasian as the majority race will too, become history. That's why last night the best man was chosen. The media, like some Republicans, want to bring racism into this victory, but the majority – the New Generation (women, African-Americans, and young adults) are much wiser than previous generations and look beyond the smoke and mirror acts. There is only one way to go when you're on the bottom, which is the current status of our economy, up. “yes we can”

November 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Sue (Canada)

I am ecstatic that You, the American people, have united together and elected such a strong, intelligent human being to lead your Country forward in a time of needed change. The fact that this human being is an African-American has made this election such a dramatic and historic politcal moment and I feel privlidged to be witness to it. I know it will consist of a lot of work for your Country, but I am looking forward to the greatness that will arise from this momentous occassion. Congratulations and Dream Big!

November 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Marlene

Its about time the USA had a smart leader that commands respect.. So glad Obama won. He is now the world's biggest celebrity, which will be another weight on him. It will be interesting to follow his strategic moves. The USA is back!

November 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Frances

I think it's important to note that, just as today's teens and twenty-somethings have never known a world without CD's, cell phones and the internet, today's children will never know a world without diversity and inclusion in their highest elected representatives.

Frances, Little Rock, AR

November 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Alexia

Mr. Martin, I completely understand your story about the kids - my 10, 4, and 3 year olds are all thrilled. My 4 year old was the only kid in her preschool who knew the candidates and "stumped" for Obama in class. Today, my 3 year old and I walked outside to get the mail. She pointed at the Obama/Biden campaign sign in our yard and said, "That says Obama WON." And then she pulled my sleeve and said, "I want to make him a card and tell him that I LOVE him." I told her we can certainly do that.

November 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Zach, IL

I am really excited to see the transition of power in January...I can't believe that he's so hard at work already getting everything ready.

November 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Tonya (form Henrico, NC)

I fell in love with America last night! Mr. Obama's win made history, it made dreams come true and it gave new meaning to the words "We the people..."

November 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Raymond from simi valley california

and win he did ....

November 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Rene- Miami

Very True Maureen ! For the first time in my life (31yo here) I feel very responsible for my country and feel I am a part in improving it.

November 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Paula

I'm a 56 yr. old white female that grew up in Virginia Beach Virginia. My first boyfriend was a black school-mate that had to wait outside the resturant where I worked because there was a sign beside the door that read, "no colored's allowd'. Water fountians were labeled, 'whites' and "colored's". I received 'KKK' literature in my locker at school, etc. He was a wonderful person. Though our relationship did not continue thoughout our lives, it's hard to believe that at the age of 56, I also recall a day when people were separate for no reason. I was thankfully taught by my parents to love others and appreciate people for themselves, and not to identify people by the color of their skin. I am amazed that I have those memories in my short lifetime, and appreciate the pride that all feel in the selection of a very capable man who is not identified by the color of his skin. Congradulations America !

November 5, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Tom F

Obama triumphs over adversity. He only had a half-billion dollars, all of the major news outlets but one, the entire entertainment media, an economic crisis in the middle of the campaign, and an unpopular incumbent, yet he managed to win somehow!

November 5, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Carla Glover

Hello Anderson:

Great coverage on our new President Barack Obama. Everyone is concerned about Barack Obama's first steps...............What about how are we going to contribute to rebuilding our country? That's the real key.

November 5, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Walter LA.

Hello Anderson and every one else on CNN. I just want to say I am a hispanic first time voter and I love United States Of America. I came to USA in 1984 and I have just become a US Citizen on January of this yr. Anderson Please let every body who is watching your show know that even though this was about African American, we the latinos and white america make this dream come true. Please put more thoughts into the rest of the people and remain every body that this is USA. We the people!!!!! and not just once race.

November 5, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Ozzy Alvarez

Mr. Ed Rollins,

You keep claiming that the Republican party is in shambles. But, with the likes of Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Charlie Crist, Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal and even Sarah Palin, it seems like the Republican Party has plenty of talent to rebuild itself quite finely. Don't you think????

Ozzy

21. stephanie

Shrer' J you just hold your head up high and be proud. Don't worry about the rest. This country has changed and sooner or later people will come around. No more campaigns with four old white men running for the highest office. It is now open to anyone who aspires to reach those heights.

22. Martie

I think what impressed me most was the diversity of the supporters in Grant Park – such diversity joined in a common cause is our best hope for the future.

23. Minou, New York City

Yes, thank you to CNN and all the anchors, correspondents and pundits for all the hard work and long hours! Greatly appreciated!

24. Liz

Emily from Pasadena: It surprises me very much that there was no conversation about the election going on at your school. My students in each class during the day were talking about it, asked me my views etc.. (I'm a math teacher in a small rural district in Michigan) I know they analyzed it in Social Studies classes all day. I can't imagine it not even being brought up – bizarre.

25. April

Last night was truly a memorable moment in history! It was great to be a part of it. B/C of this outcome we were given, me and my husband will be able to look our child in the eyes and tell him/her that the sky is the limit to what they wish to do. Our children now will have a brighter, promising future with less barriers. America is a diverse country and this is a step in uniting all Americans to come together as one. I am from Tn who carried McCain. There is still alot of mixed feelings and differences amoung individuals, but I am so excited about America's future and the change that Obama has and will bring to our great nation.

26. Andre

I am not thinking about the economy, Iraq, healthcare reform. I am thinking about we as people respecting one another and setting aside racial issue's and working together hand and hand. This my dream of all dream's, and then you will see this great nation become greater.

27. Raymond

What a long and great race we all have been riding on this first 10 mo of the year. and now that we are at the end of the race. it time to enjoy the new tree grow as we move on to then next stage. and the new prz elect obama will make that tree grow strait and lead us to that water hole we all have been missing... history is now in the making....my 5 kids who all been following the race are all happy.
    and they are 20 mo. old ,
    6yr,7yr,9yr and 16 years of age and they all wanted obama to will..

May GOD bless our country ...

Raymond

28. EJ (USA)

CNN – do you know how much money you could make if you actually put together something that we can buy? The newspapers are off the shelves. I want to relive election night – especially at that moment. Where do I get a DVD??? : )

29. Lynda

The White House dog should be a goldendoodle. They are sweet, loving, and bring so much fun to a family.

30. Ela, Michigan

hi AC360, his won, now this is not over – this is just the beginning. My boyfriend thinks that getting the troops out of the Iraq, that's a challenge. This whole concept of 'change' is going to be a lot of work...

31. John Pina from Queens

What have we heard so far from world leader, are they hopeful for a new beginning, will this transition bring a new racial transition to the world ?

32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson, great comeback on the "more of the same" questions to Paul Begala. I was thinking the same thing about Obama's choices.

33. Joshua

I too am the child of a white mother and black father. Lessons my father taught me has made Obamas demeanor no surprise to me. Any African American hoping to make it in the professional world has had to be able to remain calm and composed in the face of criticism or risk being labeled another angry black man. Obamas calm and measured way of dealing with the many attacks launched against him will be an important model for future U.S. political leaders.

November 5, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Andrea in Ohio

Good evening.

Wow! Last night was amazing. I cried during Obama's speech because I can't remember feeling so proud and so full of hope. I feel like all that I do will be done for a greater purpose...For the good of all of us.

How great is it that the whole world was watching and celebrated right along with us? What a glorious first step to restoring our reputation in the world.

God Bless the U.S.A.

November 5, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Rene- Miami

President Elect Obama has allowed the beacon of light that america once was to shine ever brighter then before. America is back and this country is on its way of showing the possibilities of the impossible with the help of all of us who elected and supported him and to bring along all who ever doubted the foundations of the this country. Today I feel as we are in the process of becoming fully aware of who we are as individuals a country and a world. Hard work to come but I am ready and know many others are to help President Elect Obama in any way.

November 5, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Anthony

History is forever reinventing itself, and im so glad i was able to witness this extremely moving moment.
    This North Carolinian is overjoyed that America spoke!

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Leyla

Anderson,

I also received a thank you text and email from Obama, and even though I know it is not a personalize thank you it still feels like it is, It makes me feel like can make a difference in this country, no matter how small a contribution I make and this is why I will continue doing what I can to help our country, when and if he ask.

Leyla
    Atl, Ga

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  38. terry north carolina

51 years old so excited about Barack Obama look forward to being involved in and seeing America and our people work together for a better world a good day

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Michael, Costa Mesa CA

Hello all. I have to say that I'm quite excited to say that I was able to be a part of a historical election. I'm only 23 and I have to say that for the first time, I can actually discuss real issues with people my age, which I was unsure I would be able to do. This election not only brought a record number of people, but also has begun a real movement among young voters to care about their country.

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Nicole MArshall-Walker

On one of the local radio stations in Jamaica this morning, someone text this comment:

Rosa Parkes sat so Martin Luther could walk;
    Martin Luther walked so that Barack Obama could run;
    Barack Obama ran so black people could fly!

Like the hosts of the station, I thought this was quite profound!

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Steve from Chula Vista

It was great to wake up this morning without any worry of recounts and hanging chads that would have determined the outcome of the election. I am confident President-elect Obama and Vice-President-elect Biden will surround themselves with good people to guide them and our country to better days. I know they need all of us to do our part to help them too. I am ready – Yes I can!

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Steve - southern Illinois

Obama is the FIRST black president EVER. That's pretty huge if you're African American. Please try and understand how much that means to Black people.

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Fjola, NC

Congratulations to America and to the whole wide world! What a moment in history! As a mother of 2 biracial children not only can I tell them that the sky is the limit for their future but now I can actually show them!

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  44. EJ (USA)

Anderson- Barack Obama's "change" does not mean that he will ignore all the brilliant people who helped in past administrations. He would be stupid to pass everyone over that has ever been in anyone's administration.

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Thank you CNN and crew and CNN guests for all your hard work and long hours of coverage. But thank Goodness the race is over!

Jacqueline, NY,
    I agree with you..... Thanks CNN and crew, CNN guest were so amazing and hard work all day!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Marie Davis

Please let us know what exactly is going to happen in the months prior to President Obama's inauguration. We would like to know little things like: When will he move into the White House? Will the Obama girls have a normal life like having friends over to their house or spending the night at a friend's house?

We would like to know everything.

November 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Deborah from Santa Rosa, CA

It is great to be part of this time in history. Seeing the world join us in this celebration is amazing! Wow!

November 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Martie

Anthony: There are several options President-Elect Obama has in connection with any leftover campaign funds. Returning the funds to contributors is one, donating the funds to charity is another. He can also convert his campaign organization into a PAC and donate the money to the PAC, or earmark it for his own future political campaign for re-election. There are a couple of more options, but I can't remember what they are.

November 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Rashad T

Why is David Gergen in the classroom (professor) rather than being mentioned for a position on Obama's staff, somewhere, anywhere. I have been watching for months with the rest of you, and it seems as if he is the most passionate at times, and always knowledgable on every subject. all of you at CNN are great, but ask David that question for me will ya?
    Thanks
    RT

November 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Monica

Last night was an amazing night. I thank God I was able to see this powerful man make history. He has empowered so many people who voices were never heard. All my ancestors are truly smiling over the nation. Finally out all the heartache that America has endured. Yesterday has brought us a day of great hope. This is just the beginning, he has so much work ahead of him.

November 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |