November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. monica tetuan

Today America can see itelf again as a beacon of hope to the world. With this comes great personal responsibility to help bring our country back to where we want it to be. Barack Obama gave us something to believe in again. He has reminded us of the brilliance of the American dream. The citizens of this country showed the world that America is great because of what we can accomplish when we come together for change. Let us not forget our own power and responsibilty in the course of our future.

Monica

November 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Maureen, Georgia

Jo Ann, President Elect Obama was just telling the truth plus the fact that he said the same thing in his campaign speeches. You can't expect everyrhing to be done overnight. Bush took 8 years to destroy this country so it's going to take some time to recover. The economy in the ditch, 2 wars, crappy healthcare etc. Give him a chance. Congratulations to President Elect Obama.We finally have hope with change coming.

November 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Sudha - Burlington, VT

Trust David Gergen to bring out all the excellent points – I was really touched by Obama's decision to continue the pay for the month and the health care coverage for the rest of the year, especially in today's "all about money" age.

November 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Adam

In my neck of the woods people were shedding tears also, that Oboma had won the Presidential race. What are we going to do when the small business of America are taxed to the extent of closing their doors and even more jobs are lost? When we lose the right to protect our homes, when the troops are pulled from the foreign soil and the fight then follows to our own?

November 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  5. richard ross

i am so excited the president obama won now i hope he can can get down to business i know he has a large plate to empty but if all people help him by doing what he asks i can get done i also am glad that race did not play a card in this campaine and tell erica hill we love her to

November 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  6. John from Tennessee

The leftover millions that Obama has is given to the treasurey for financing.

November 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Tom F

Should Republicans show the same kind of respect for Obama that Democrats showed Bush?

November 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  8. EJ (USA)

We can build this dream together.

November 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Jade

Yes changed has come, but this is only the begin! I believe Obama will change US for the better, we can't sit down now after Obama elected.

November 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Jo

I am happy, emotional, and proud to be a new American citizen! I can now tell my kids that they can be what ever they want to be and know that it is within reach!

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Sherry, Saint Louis, Mo

Roland you are great!! By the way did Condoleezza Rice ever endorse a candidate?

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Rosemary

I can't help but be amused at your pundits' comments about what Obama should do; their unsolicited advice might be welcome if they were at least as knowledgeable as the President-elect. Remember, he is far smarter than you or me. Give him a chance, please. Then, your opinion might be worth listening to..

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  13. John from Tennessee

It Sarah Palin runs in four years it will be great for her. But I think she will have trouble reaching that base again. Hillary Clinton is coming back to regain what she left.

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Randall - Seattle, WA

The left over monies from campaign is usually donated to charity.

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Sandra Dumlao

I am amzaed at the impact President-elect Obama has on the very young. When I say the very young, I mean my three-year-old granddaughter, Leilani. During the campaign, I did not view any of the televised speeches during primetime as the TV is always on children's TV channels until she goes to bed.

Last night, I watched the returns part of the evening while she was awake, but during this time, she was playing with toys and I did not realize she was paying any attention to the broadcasts.

Every morning, it's her responsibility to get the newspaper once the garage door is opened and we are ready to get into the van. This morning she picked up the paper and said "Nana, it's Obama"! I did not think I was hearing her correctly, so I asked her "what did you say?". She said it again "it's Obama, look, right here". On the front page of the newspaper, there was a picture of President elect Obama!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Janine from PA.

Hello day after election day. I hope everyone is recovering. Did others see Ms. Winfrey in the crowd? And Rev. Jackson in tears? After hearing what he said about Sen. Obama were they tears of joy?

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Dulcie - Denver

David Gergen is so right. I definitely feel a sense of deep pride as a white person who voted for a bi-racial candidate. And I had absolutely NO reservations about doing it. I was delighted to do it.

So yeah, it makes me feel a little guilty at how proud I am of that.

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Evy Bowman

I have never been more proud than I was last night at 8:00 PT when the announcement came across my TV screen that Barack Obama would be the 44th President of the United States.I knew the west coast states poles had just closed and had given him the push over the top in electoral votes to win the Presidency.For the first time in my life(I'm 51 yrs.old) I felt as if my vote actually counted and I had been a part of this historical event. I am middle class, white, and proud to be an American!

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Don, WA

A person like Obama verifies how the ancient egyptians built pyramids...they were likely not built by aliens...but by a force of one...Obama has an ability to turn america into a force of one.

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Shamara

Michelle will be a 1st Lady who brings class and educational dignity to the White House. I am proud to know she will be my next 1st Lady.

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Ginny Flynn

How wonderful it is to be an american.....I am a kidergarten teacher and teach my kids about Martin Luther KingJr. every year. It is hard for them to understand the racisum in our country not long ago. Now when I tell them you can be anything you want to be I will truly believe it. Barac Obama will be one of the greatest presidents of the United States.

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

It's nice to know that Obama has a history of doing things like paying his campaign people until the end of the year with medical. Now, we get examples of Obama's leadership skills...go figure.

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Sasha, Dearborn Michigan

Is it really millions?

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Vic Vazz from Pasadena, CA

We have just witnessed history electing Obama President.

I will forever be able to tell my children that I voted for Obama, who is the incarnation of Dr. King "I have a Dream" speech bringing America together!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Barry

This is a time for the country to come together, but the conservative bloggers (Michele M), radio talk show hosts (Rush L) and newspaper columnists (the Dark Knight) are rousing their base to take up arms! If the GOP cannot understand why they lost, they will be in wilderness for a long, long time.

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Michelle Sfameni

As an American who has lived in Australia for more than a decade, I couldn't be more proud of my country with the maturity and dignity it displayed to the world last night. Yes, democracy is alive and well. Yes, dreams can come true with hard work and determination. Yes, we can. With tears in my eyes, I explained the signifigance of this moment in history to my two young daughters. They replied enthusiastically by saying "I wish my dad was President of The United States". A new sence of hope and optimism has flooded over the borders of America to the rest of the world. It feels like anything is possible. Slow and steady , that's the course we need to stick to with all the hard work ahead.

November 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  27. EJ (USA)

What happens to the leftover millions Obama has?

He can

1) donate it to charity

2) save it for a future (2012) race

3) donate it to help another political election

and

4) I forget what #4 is.

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Scott in Tucson, AZ

What a great time in America. I woke up this morning and the Sun seemed a bit brighter, the air a bit fresher and everyone I encountered was in a great mood.

My question is: Would Arizona have gone Blue if McCain wasn't from AZ? McCain only won AZ by about 9%. Your thoughts AC?

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Michael GA

It was a great day for all but gay americans. Exit polling showed that 70% of black voters in California voted to take away marriage rights. Ironic, when you think about it. If black turnout had been at normal levels, Prop 8 might have gone down to defeat.

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Jacqueline, NY

Thanks CNN for the screening, free popcorn, pretzels and hot cocoa in Time Square last night.

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  31. John from Tennessee

Anderson the feeling of last night was once in a lifetime. To see Jesse Jackson, Opah Winfrey, and will I Am cry last nite with tears of excitement . It was empowering.

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Keneshia, Atlanta, GA

I've been excited all day long. I truly hope that the portion of America that does not agree with our new President can bridge the gap and unite our country (even more). This is a great moment to be alive to witness. Let's make it count!

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Sarr

As an immigrant from senegal, the home of goree island. We all know about the "door no return".
    As a first time voter, I am very pleased to see america turn at last the race chapter.
    So america, please let's unite behind the so unique president mr B. Obama and conquer challenges that our beautiful country is facing and lift barriers.
    Black, white, asian, spanic ...we people of america have to live as one family, one nation under God.

Thanks america for allowing me to be part of this history as a first time voter.
    God bless America

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Sheri' J.

All across the country, we have taken several steps forward from last night, but down in here in the south where I live unfortunately they have taken several steps back.

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Anne M Cort

Today...I have hope.

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Marissa

November 5th, 2008 10:08 pm ET

What does President Elect Obama’s win do for Canadians and the country of Canada?

I'll give you one major reason this is a great day for Canada.....Obama will finally give OUR troops the support that they so desperately need in Afghanistan. In a war that your President started and then ran away from and left it to other countries to finish. I look forward to the day when the Canadian troops can come home.

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Nicole Lawrence

Hello Anderson Cooper.
    CONGRATS to Barack Obama, wishing him god's blessings. I am so happy for him and trust he'll do what he promises. He will bring the troops home, let the rich pay for Wall Street and give back all the people who lost there jobs and mostly clean up the mess Bush created.
    I hope that all the people that didn't vote for Obama have a change of heart because really color should never decide for us but guess for some it does and that's sad, we are all the same.

Best of luck Obama

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  38. greg g

Anderson,

The question of the republican party is not about resurrecting it's about think outside the box. Break the paradigm. It's about start new. The US needs a new party. The republican party has been re-branded forever in the past 8 years for the worse. It's irreversible. Republicans need to think about how to mobilize a new young conservative with a new agenda and give up on the old. It's a dying breed. BTW I'm a democrat I just see the need for a new party and a band aid on a broken party.

Good Luck sincerely.

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Jack

Anderson, I am 24, and i remember reading about Booker T Washington, Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks in my middle school and highschool text books. after this day and many years from now children in school will read of this day, and wonder to themselves, whats the big deal? and we are those who will remember. We are the generation that will remember that the USA spent 8 years in the shadow of a false hope of better days to come. but I believe Obama is a beacon of light that can lead us to brighter days. Oorah.

Semper Fi
    -JTR

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Laurence noguier

Good evening everyone.
    It has been almos 24 hours since a wonderful thing happened.
    Believe it or not ... America is groing up!! Welcome to the World.

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson. It's a new day in the world as well as the USA.

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Brandi Morgan

I think it is sad that the South is still stuck in an old traditional mind set. This is hurting so many people from embracing our shifting country.

Where I grew up I thought I would always be conservative and then Obama touched my heart.

I am a young white woman from a small community in Texas where I have never seen so much hate as I have lately from my own friends, family and neighbors. Its truely disappointing.

I am more than thrilled for so many reasons that Obama won!

I look forward to graduating college next year and teaching high school social studies.
    It will mean so much to say to all of my students that they are as equal as the next.
    I feel like a very proud American and I am happy that the African Americans in this country are having their moment of glory. He deserves it!

The next 4 years looks bright...

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Byron

A new day has dawned in the country that we all love.
    With Obama hope is renewed; not just in the hopes of the African American community but to the rest of the human race as well: Asians, Latinos, and all the different cultures we have around us.
    It is a testimony to the progression of how far people have come from the days of old style beliefs where America was in a Civil War: brother fighting brother- to the harsh reality of today's world.
    Obama is my....and many others real life personification of the ideals of what my Hero: Captain America and all the ideals behind that icon are all about.
    America has taken one giant step forward by showing the world that prejudice will not play a role in doing what is best for its people.

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  44. EJ (USA)

I can't believe CNN doesn't sell any DVD's or anything or put together something that can commemorate such a historic moment. I have to keep looking. Or maybe one will be made with all these moments including his inauguration day.

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Anthony from Ontario

I have a question for anyone who knows campaign financing rules:

What happens to the leftover millions Obama has?

November 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  46. John Khouri

my cousin and i knocked on doors in predominantly black neighborhoods in charlotte before the electionfor obama–maybe a few years ago we wouldnt go there but today was too important and we had no fear–not to mention we met some wonderful people–we needed this change and it felt so right.

November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Maureen T

It's all about accountability! Barack Obama is making everyone accountable for their actions!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Kevin M.

What's going to happen to the Magic Map once campaign season is done, like really over?

November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Kevin from San Diego

I am very proud to be an American and I see the hope from a new generation of this nation. The most precious thing is to fight for what we believe and the change we all long for even PROP8 does pass in CA. It is not over yet...

November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Kegan Tawney

I am a white, male high school senior in the still undecided state of North Carolina. I live in Chapel Hill, which is often called the most liberal part of the south. I was not able to participate in this election but I would have voted for Obama. I turn 18 years old tomorrow morning at 12:35 am.

I am excited extremely excited to the change Obama will bring. Having been raised amidst the Bush Administration, I have been constantly exposed to criticism of the government and have become a complete cynic. Obama's election makes me proud to be an American for the first time in my life.

November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |