November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Jacqueline, NY

Somebody pinch me. I think I'm dreaming.

Thank you CNN and crew and CNN guests for all your hard work and long hours of coverage. But thank Goodness the race is over!

November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Gaby Davidson

hello everyone!
    i just want to say that, first I'm only 17, but i have never felt so inspired or so proud of my country ever in my short life. I was outside of Grant Park last night and there was never a moment in my life where i felt more proud than i did last night. A light has shined on my future and to the hope of the american people

November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Alex

I am thrilled for this victory and encouraged that Sen. Obama will be leading us through the difficult times ahead.

November 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Last night I watched CNN team were so amazing and including anaylst team too..... I looked many states to vote so awesome!!! Guess what ? CNN are number one!!!

5. James Muehle in Gorham Maine

God Bless MLK!!! Congratulations to President Elect Obama!!!
    Yes, We Can!!! I for one believe!! Last night was the moment in my life where I know it was one of those moments in life "Where were you when?"

6. Dianne

Hey Roland!

There were many tears of JOY shed last night & today! I'm a 58-year-old "typical" white Canadian woman & I certainly cried last night, and many times today as I watched more coverage of the event.

Please talk about how wonderful that crowd was last night. 225,000 people gathered in Grant Park Chicago & from what I understand this event went on without a single incident.

We, the citizens of the WORLD appreciate the vision & foresight of the American electorate.

God Bless President-Elect Barack Obama! And, please remind him we all have his back! Times may be tough but Barack's leadership will guide the Nation & the World to a better WORLD.

Enjoy that Inaugeration! Hope your nephew's suit still fits.

7. Tony - Seattle Washington

Hi Anderson,

Yes, congratulations to President-elect Obama! This new administration is just what we all need. However I sure hope that the media does not make his Presidency about race! He is going to be the President of United States, not black Americans, or Hispanic Americans, but he is going to be the President of all Americans!

8. Liz

It was AMAZING to watch everything unfold last night. I just think that the whole tone of the country can change to something more positive, I hope that those with differing views will at least keep an open mind that maybe things can be both different AND better.

On another note – I was very impressed with John McCain's concession speech last night. I hope people in his party will actually take what he said to heart. {I also think, if he had ran his campaign with the same tone, the outcome may have been very different}

9. Steve - southern Illinois

It's a great day for all Americans and the entire World. But I certainly believe that African Americans have every right to rejoice at the first Black President because he is a Black man. Try thinking if the shoe was on the other foot.

10. Shamara

My husband is a Pastor of a Southern Baptist Church in TN and we both supported Obama because we believe he truly is what this country needs. He will be a great president as long as he maintains a middle partisian ride and does not swing to much to the left agenda. He knows progress is the key to a strong American society, but he also knows to keep his values and morals balanced with that progress.

11. john lindauer

it means so much, to so many that Barack Obama is our next President. but i have been personally transformed.

i found myself thinking about Obama vs. McCain not in terms of a black man vs. a white man. but as something completely different.

before the election, i likened my decision (among my republican friends) to a choice between “the young don shula and the old mike ditka.” two professional men of strong character, in a highly competetive field, playing in the big leagues.

funny thing is: both shula and ditka are white.

the color of mr. obama’s skin never even mattered.

and THAT was the transformation.

in my lifetime i have been guilty of racism. and there was not one ounce of guilt in my choice.

12. Jana, Indiana

Anderson, I am glad that you recognized the fact that he was backing down on some of his earler comments or "promises"

13. Mike Haines

I jusr wanted to extentend my own personal wishishes to you.

from a canadian

14. Zach, IL

A new day for our great nation. A new page for the story of America. A new chance for a new direction. What a whirlwind 24 hours!

15. mitch. From copperas cove texas

will the election photos of Americans celebrating be made availa
    Ble to the public?

16. Diane McKeel, WA

After JFK's death and funeral I remember a poet saying something to these words "As a nation we will laugh again, but we will never be young again" I think as a Nation we now have another chance to be young again.

17. Camille

Even though some people may doubt that a man with any percentage of African American blood in his body can be a Leader of strength and power, it was evident last night that the MAJORITY HAS SPOKEN!!! Change is here! Now people will have to doubt the competency of an individual with an excuse other that RACE!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Minou, New York City

I don't expect that Obama will be able to do all the things he wants to do. That would be foolhardy. There's the other half of the congress that will not agree with him on everything. I hope ppl will be realistic about their expectations,otherwise they're setting him up for failure.

November 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Anthony F. Tyler (Newport News, VA)

I would like to congratulate and thank President-Elect Obama for giving the United States a breath of fresh air and hope for the future! As an African-American male, a husband, and a father of three, President-Elect Obama has raised the bar when it comes to being a leader not only within your family but a leader within your community.
    My family's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Continue to hold on to God's unchanging hand and remember that it was his "Grace and Mercy" that brought you through!

November 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Shela

so happy, congrats America!

November 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Kevin M.

Good Evening Anderson and everyone. I'm a Biracial-American. I've campaigned for the Obama Campaign the last 15 months of my life. The conversations had, feelings, ideas, life stories and hope share with hundreds and thousands of people have changed me forever. January 20, 2009 with mark the dawn of a new day not just for African-Americans but for all americans. It won't be easy, but change is truly happening.

November 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Mike Biasin from Wells Maine

Did the dems get their fillabuster proof majority?

November 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Ron

Great election campaign ran by Obama.

Please give credit for the diversity of his win. Blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, young and old alike voted for him.

Now I can believe that a woman or anyone else can win the white house also.

This election opens the door for everyone.

November 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Uma in Liverpool, UK

Mr Gergen,

Yes sir! You are so right! This has been redemptive for anglo-Americans.

November 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  25. EJ (USA)

Anderson, people underestimated Barack Obama before . . .

November 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  26. jaitori

It was so very surprising that the world was celebrating as well! It was as if they had won too!

November 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Patrick Casey

amazing result, but all this about him being a black man, doesnt matter HE IS A MAN a very intelligent man with fantastic vision, skin color doesnt matter black white pink or green, the best president ever in the making well done barack

November 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Joshua

I am overjoyed to see that my fellow Americans once again value intelligence, poise and calm in a leader. I feel like my country has been given back to me and our nation has a chance to regain its position in the world. I have never been more proud of this nation than I am at this moment.

November 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Bassy Ekanem

Hi Anderson,
    I must say that as a Nigerian living in Canada, I was really touched with emotions which was difficult for my (Caucasian) husband to understand as I'm not American.

Barack Obama (President Elect) is a God sent to the Black community not just Americans. I say this because alot of Black people have been labelled with the wrong names, just 'cos they're BLACK .

This has erased the ugly notion about us, as we are all human beings.

God Bless

30. Mary from Florida

I have been inspired by the willingness of so many Americans; young, old, white, black, Democrat, and Republican to "stand up" this election and go to the polls in record numbers, even waiting 7 or 8 hours in line to cast their vote. I am happy the election was decisive and that our country can now begin the process of healing and rebuilding. Thank you Anderson for "keeping them honest" and for bringing so many of us into the discussion.

31. Kyle Friesen

It is a Great day for the United States today, it has restored hope in me for the country. The Bush administrations division of the U.S has failed.

Obama is a sign of Hope Peace and Prosperity and the 10 billion US dollars per month that the previous administration has spent on war will slowly pull the United States out of the economic crisis it is currently in. Ten billion dollars per month is the reason for the economic crisis in the first place. After five years of spending that much money into war, most any country in the world would fall short of a strong economy.

God Bless Obama and his family.

32. Jacqueline, NY

YAY! WE DID IT!! Oops! I forgot no CAPS/ no yelling. Sorry, Anderson

Yay! We did it!

33. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think the most touching part of my day today was when I watched one of my professors come into my class with four copies of the New York Times and walked up to each of the four black students we have in class, and with tears in his eyes, gave them each a copy and told them to stow it away somewhere and give it to their grandkids.

34. keith

thank you jay im with you and im a black man !

35. Patricia W. in Edmonton, Canada

Good evening Anderson,

How wonderful it will be to watch the changes come! President elect Obama will do more than just unite a country...what an inspiration he is for all who look on. What a vision!!

Patricia

36. Dennis - Coeur d'Alene

I was a 60 year old white supporter of McCain; today Obama is my President elect. Lets drop the black-white. It is no longer important. He will be our President regardless of origin.

37. Tricia M

The daily newspapers really sold their most copies today. In New York, not a NY Times, Daily News or NY Posts could be found. People were buying them as memorabilia of this historic occasion. My sister from NC asked for me to buy her a NY Times and mail it!

38. Minou, New York City

A friend of mine was in Union Square last night, where an impromptu celebration in honor of Obama broke out. Complete strangers just started a party out of happiness...that's what Obama does, he unites people.

39. Dianne Brown

This is a big plus (positive) for America. This will change how people outside of the United States view America.

40. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

As usual, David Gergen is so right. Not everyone may agree with who won the election but as Americans, we should be proud about the historical moment. Those around the world seem impressed with us too! That's a good sign, IMO.

41. Linda Hunt

Congratulations President-elect Obama! Congratulations CNN!
    Why watch FOX when there is CNN. You guys are truly the best political team in television.

42. Don, WA

History seems to come in select moments does'nt it Roland Martin....we've all had a moment. Nice reporting this season, leading to the moment, Mr. Martin.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Christy Johnson

HOW IT FEELS TO BE FREE

I could not sleep last night and when I woke up this morning I knew it was true.

As I lifted my head off my pillow I cried....for the first time in my life of twenty seven years I finally woke up feeling free!

I never knew I carried this burden and I can't really explain the relief.

Today I cried for you, me, our kids, President Obama and for the other people besides ourselves that helped to free the oppressed.

I cried today for my ancestors who no longer have to worry because their children are finally free.

Please stand proud today, walk in your ancestors place and give thanks to everyone that made this happen for the love of you and me.

Christy Johnson

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  44. James Tanis

Today, as I walked in SoHo and Union Square (NYC), I saw two *different* sets of tee-shirt-wearing Obama supporters, who were simply passing each other on the street, stop and hug. This is an election which transcends simple "inspiration"; it has transformed lives.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Sasha Fawaz

Did we ever figure out if this election had the highest voter outcome or not?

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. J Walsh - Australia

Good evening Anderson. I would just like to say I watched the coverage live on your network from my home in Brisbane, Australia yesterday. I was amazed by the quality of both candidates. John McCain is an honourable statesmen and Barack Obama brings hope for a new future. I'm sure Barack Obama has already done much to improve the image of America in the rest of the world. This is a victory everyone, not just American's can feel part of. Now its time to act so let's get it done.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Ryan

The reason everyone keeps referring Obama's race is because its a huge victory for African Americans. An African American has reached the highest office in the land after years of oppression, it deserves noting.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  48. janice fitz

Do we know the status of Ted Stevens' senate seat race?

Thanks!
    Janice in PA

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Sean - Tucson

Having watched every network last night. CNN's graphics team did the best job relaying polling stats and, of course, the Magic Wall helped put it all into perspective. Great job and thank you.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Lori (Canadian living in Japan)

Good evening everyone,

I'm so glad that the elections are over. I really thought that John McCain's speech last night was gracious and the REAL John McCain. Sure glad that Obama is president elect!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |