November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Mo- Tampa, FL

I am currently a permanent resident of the United States looking forward to becoming a US citizen some day. Last night as I watched the American people celebrate, I was moved to point that my eagerness to become a US citizen hit a climax. I must admit I felt some envy for my American friends…. 🙂 Seeing this great nation celebrate was electrifying indeed!

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Sheri' J.

I live in Alabama and I'm a African American who is so proud of Barack Obama,but yet down here my proudness is not welcome with most outside my community. After yesterday the smiling people I see everyday had a sense of rude air.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Nancy E

Hello Anderson! I was in Grant Park last night and I have to say I have never seen such an incredible crowd. There was an amazing feeling of peace among everyone. With such a large crowd it is hard to believe that there was no pushing or shoving. Everyone was just excited to hear the outcome. I am 20 years old and I am one of the first time voters in this election. I have to say that last night was the proudest I have ever been to be an American. I hope that the atmosphere created last night in Grant Park can continue throughout Obama's campaign. I truly have faith that he is going to bring a lot of peace to America and I hope he can unite us. I was truly impressed with the American people last night.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  4. ayana

I never thought that multi-racial unity could have a significant application in the "real world." I had been a part of many activities while at college. But I never thought that white people would be sincere about justice in the "real world." America is forever-forever changed

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Marie, New York

Hello Anderson.

I am not African-American, I am Italian/Irish-American. I was not yet born when JFK was elected President of the United States but I was taught that his election to the highest postion in the land broke a barrier which could change my life if I choose for it to do so. I was taught not to look at JFKs election to office as a symbol for me to stand on his shoulders and ride his coat tails but to give greater hope to me, greater belief in myself, that I too could accomplish great things in this country and for my country if I worked hard. I think President-Elect Obama is a principaled man of great character and I look forward to what he will do for our country. I am reminded, and as a minority of sorts, a female, inspired to again believe in myself, this country and the promise of what hard work and dedication can result in. All of this, not because I stand on anyone's shoulders or ride anyone's coat tails, but because I believe in myself and the power to make a difference in my life and the lives of others.

Thank you. God Bless America.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Sharon McKenzie

I am so proud of our elected President Barack Obama. Even my little 16month old grand daughter was cheering for him. I am so thankful for our young people of today. They certainly did their part to get Senator Obama elected. They are so positive. We really need to give them more credit.
    Larry King and Anderson Cooper-you are both such fair and genuine hosts

I we will all be there to help Senator Obama stay grounded & I know you will keep us informed. I would love to be a part ofSenator Obama's team for change

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening Erica and Anderson!

All day I've been receiving messages from friends in other countries so thrilled for us electing Obama. Their image of the US has been of someone with a gun in one hand and a bible in the other. Very pushy, opinionated people. Already, minds are beginning to change.

Last night was a wonderful night for the US and all of you at CNN did a fabulous job! Thank you so much for all your hard work!

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Uma in Liverpool, UK

I didn't know the spark of hope, that Senator Robert Kennedy Sr created in me, when I was seven years old, was still alive.

🙂 It IS!

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Wesley Kamau

Can we reconcile ourselves?

Did you believe we could see this day? I am proud to be part of this generation, I am proud to reap the fruits of the civil rights movement and the abolitionists before them.

Today, we are no longer cup bearers, or silent guests at the table; today, we not only have a voice but a seat at the head of the table.
    The last time a Negro stormed Washington, he had a dream and a check to cash; today, the dream has never been brighter and the check book has switched hands.

"One ever feels his twoness-an American, a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder." ~ W.E.B. Du Bois

I hope this moment will help us reconcile our souls, our thoughts and our ideals.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Jacqueline, NY

Hey, Everyone,

I had the weirdest dream last night. I dreamt America had a black president with a weird name, something like Barack Obama or something like that. There were people in the streets cheering, tearing (some jeering) celebrating, and carrying on, etc. And I remember thinking in my dream, "How silly, these people are nuts." They're living in dream. Then I awoke thinking that it was all true. So I searched everywhere for a newspaper because I wanted to read all about it. NADA! Not a paper to be found anywhere. See? It was a dream.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Brian

Godo evening everyone,
    I think it's been a great day for America, and in my opinion, even a greater day for people around the world to finally see the barriers that were built up througout American history finally broken. People around the world saw our country make a huge step in the right direction and I believe that this will influence people around the world as well. I feel that Obama has a real sense of bringing change to America and the world. No he is not God, but he does have the drive and will to make the world a better place for all. Many people doubt him, but those who doubt, don't keep as open a mind as they should.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Bob

I am a 55 year old white male. When the announcement was made, the tears flowed. When I saw Reverend Jesse Jackson with tears flowing down his face, my face reflected his. I remembered visions from my youth: Martin Luther King, the Freedom Riders, Medger Evers and others. I thanked God that I lived to see a time when the ideals and promise of our Country became such a reality.

13. Dan

I voted for Obama and am feeling very much left out along with the rest of my friends and family who aren't African-American. I'm Caucasian Hawaiian and clarify my mixed race to those who wish to know of my background. It seems as if the media is forgetting that Obama is also half white. Please give Whites, Asians, Blacks and other races equal play on air especially when showing victory photos. It was a mix of people who helped get our new Black AND White president elect voted into our nation's highest office.

14. Conrad B.

Hi, Anderson and Erica!

The significance of a black male US President is truly profound and cannot be underestimated. For much too long, the progress of American society has been hampered by the oppressive weight of slavery and racism. Unspoken but powerful restrictions placed on the ability and breadth of how African-American men can contribute to society have unnecessarily limited America's potential to be an even greater country than it already is. Last night marked a new beginning for America, and I have never felt more proud–and more moved–of being American.

15. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

Roland's words last night were so moving. I was in tears. I'm proud that we as a nation have voted in the first African American President and, in so doing, given children an example that they really can do anything regardless of their skin color.

16. Mark W Tracy

As head of the Teamster Union in Northern Nevada, I and my membership felt priviledged this year to support Senator Obama. For the first time in many years, we felt that in Senator Obama we had someone we could stand up for and cast our vote for and not have to make a choice simply between the lesser of two evils.

17. Charity

I am so happy about this!i am 21 years old and i voted for the very first time.it made me cry because i have seen Dr.Martin Luther King's "I have a Dream"speech and we have finally gotten to this point where we can come together as one.I am honored to have witnessed this.I also have a 3 month old son and this is something i can tell him i lived to see and that anything is possible 🙂

18. anna

do u know how many black kids im seeing in the local library? A lot. Do u know how many i saw before Obama ??.....none
    Obama last night with that speech inspired me also.Great night ...that is gonna be some pages in history pages...

19. rita stevens

I was raised in Miss. and am 59 yrs. old My memories are of Blacks being treated worse than most people's pets. I am so glad today because I believe we have finally reached the true pinnacle of what this country is all about. My mother who is 81 voted for Oboma as well as me and my 18 yr. old. This is a time to be proud to be an American. It was a long time coming.

20. Tom from Bali

Hiya, thank-you very much for your fantastic coverage of the election.

Any chance CNN International can show the full 2 hours of this edition? It seems like they will show only the 1st hour and then it's Talk Asia and Sport today.

This is a historic moment for the world and I'm sure everyone would prefer to watch AC360's coverage rather than 2 shows which will be repeated anyway...

21. John

Anderson, I think if President Obama really wants to reach out, he should appoint someone from the modern Whig party. What do you think?

22. Joanna Hulsman

I worked locally on the Obama campaign, and I am ecstatic that he was elected. But why is everyone identifying him as the first BLACK president-elect? He's half WHITE. He represents virtually all of us. I've always wondered why, in this country, if you're a little bit black, you're black, but if you're a little bit white, you're still black. Still racist. Why can't we just stop identifying people as one color or another? I voted for Obama because he is simply, and by far, the best individual for the job. And what a job it will be!

23. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

Roland's words last night were so moving. I was in tears. I'm proud that we as a nation have voted in the first African American President and, so doing, given children an example that they really can do anything regardless of their skin color.

24. MaryBeth

They said something last night about how it works. There's an office building where Obama will set up a "government in waiting." He will pick his cabinet, the issues he wants to start with, learn from the mistakes of the past, and make this as easy as possible.

25. keith

and he will need our help cant do this alone so people please lets come together not for you or me for our feature foget the race for get all of the past its the new nwe need to work for and help him lead he needs our help black and white all race is needed in this one please
    !

26. Estevan Campos USMC

I'm an Illinois Veteran and an immigrant from Belize, Central America. Last night was a very emotional night for me and my family and it brought tears of joy. Congrats!!! President Obama

27. Randall - Seattle, WA

Anderson, I am a 51 year old white man who grew up in Detroit during all the riots and severe racial tension. My family is one of those who will have an increase in my taxes under President Obama, BUT I have to tell you, I am so excited by President Elect Obama, I find myself actually crying with joy and excitement on and off all day because now America has HOPE!

28. Kelly D

First, Barack Obama, a black president. Someday, my son, a gay president.

29. Lorrie Hoover

I hope Barak Obama stays asseciable to the public. I am 62 and never have seen an election like this. While I have all the respect in the world for John McCain the differences were so clear. Senator McCain is part of the old guard. Obama is the change our country needs. I along with most people I know are so anxious to watch the new White House.

30. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

WOW! I am all cried out! What a great day for our country and I hope and pray that even if you didn't vote for Obama, that you can appreciate the history of this moment and be able to put anger aside to support our new president.
    We need to all roll up our sleeves and unite this country to do the hard work in the years to come:)

31. Lissa

Jeanine – I appreciate your sadness as a McCain supporter and I applaud your resolve to accept the results and move forth. THAT is class and grace!!

32. Mike Biasin from Wells Maine

Good evening Anderson and crew. While I didn't vote for Obama I think it's time for all of America to support him and pray for him, as well as watch to see what he does. I think its time for the divisiveness and negativity to be over and for all of us to be supportive. As we that are Christians know, God put him in that position for a reason. Let's just sit back and see what happens. I appreciate your show Anderson and know that even though this fun, exciting campaign is over, I know you folks will keep the good stuff coming. God bless.

33. Sarah

Good Evening,

Congratulations to President Elect Barack Obama!!!!

God forbid anything happen, but will the future president have heavier security because of his race or just being president is enough?

34. Sam, Anchorage, AK

What concerns me most about the coverage of Obama's win is the focus on his race. While it is a great historical event, I still believe Obama won this race based on issues, not on race.

35. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    Your election coverage last night was excellent. I watched from late afternoon–CO time–until early morning. It was fascinating–though I hope you get more rest at some point. I'm very happy Obama won. It was especially moving to see the response of people around the country–and what it means for African Americans in all places.

36. gregg rock Seattle Wa

It was a historical election but not so great for the Gay community. Ca, Fl, Az, and adoption in Arkansas. I was interested in the percentage of voters that voted for Obama but against the Gay community

37. Martin

This is such a great day for all americans. I know it's a phrase that has been uttered by every african american today but....I never thought I would see this in my lifetime.

My thought is though...how fantastic that america has been able to see past color and focus on the man. Thank god in heaven that I was alive to see this day.

38. Beth Taylor

I wish you would show more of the white population cheering for President Elect Barack Obama. As a white American I sat and cried all night long because I was so happy for our country, so proud and felt so connected! Wow!

39. Brandon,NC

Hey I was wondering why they haven't got North Carolina yet We Know that Our new President Obama won, but this still doesn't explain why they haven't called in North Carolina For Obama right now I'd really like to see a Party Change Thanks!

40. Kirk in Michigan

Could you please parse the election data by education, and by education AND race?

41. Emily - UND student

Good evening!

It is an awesome day here in North Dakota. Even though Mr. Obama lost, you better believe that when CNN said he won last night, I called my mom screaming. I was ecstatic.

Mr. Cooper, one of the main points that made me vote Obama-Biden was Education. I fear I won't be able to make it through my four plus years that it will take me to achieve my dream of getting a Ph.D. My question for you, as a man who's obviously informed more than I am, will his views on Education ever happen?

Also, Mr. Cooper, who did you vote for?!

42. EJ (USA)

What happened yesterday is so big, so significant, so transformative in so many ways that it is hard to try to put it into words. Obama’s ability to inspire, not just many of us here in the US, but so many more around the world is simply remarkable.

43. John from Tennessee

Hey Anderson:

As Wolf Blitzer called Barack name as the president elect I felt a cold chill dwon my back. And for a brief moment I was happy and overjoyed that this election period has united Americans all over the world to carry out one agenda. It is marvelous to see this in my lifetime as a African American that is 23yrs. old ........Yes we did is all that can be said.

44. Cameron

I'm a first time voter from North Carolina, and I voted for McCain, however, for some reason, I'm not upset that McCain lost, I'm not truly happy that Obama won either. I'm just stuck in the middle. I truly believe that Obama can change America, there is no doubt in that. However, I doubt his policies. I'm just stuck in the middle

45. Brad

Horray the elections is over thank god.
    Just hope things turn out better than i think it will.
    All politicans tell great storys to get elected.

46. Jay

Hi Anderson,

When was the last time a single event captured the imagination and lifted the spirits of billions of people across the world in a manner that we saw last night? Obama's presidency is truly historic and unprecedented on so many different levels but most of all it reaffirms the belief that people have in themselves.

47. Brian, Lamar PA

I'm a White male and I voted for Obama, But I voted for a man who I think can bring the change we need, but now that the election is over, all I hear about is a black man making History, I agree, it is, but its not why most of us voted for him in the white comunity.

48. Lori from IL

Hello Anderson and bloggers.

What a great day following a very exciting election. Living just outside Chicago, I have followed President-Elect Obama since his campaign for the U.S. Senate. What a joy to step outside this morning and see the front page of my Chicago Tribune.

Thank you CNN for all of your wonderful coverage.

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Allan A (Toronto, ON)

Oh and John King's roll last night was amazing! John Really knows his politics....he's like a text book! Go John King!!! My New Favorite Reporter!...well next to Erica Hill of course ; )

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Candace from Canada

I think McCain's speech was very classy.
    He really did a good job on it.

President Elect Obama also had an amazing, inspiring speech.

Very classy and well done for both of them.

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |