November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Greg, Texas

I'm going to miss John and the magic board. Now I've got to wait 4 more years.

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Anthony

Anderson, what do you think Obama will do during his term in order to keep conservative voters happy and carry them to the next election?

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  3. katrina

I think the media should hang uo the african american part of it and focus on the wonderful man we have elected remember its not supposed to be about race!

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

If McCain would have been half as gracious during his campaign, he would've done better. I'm sure his constant attacks and condescending manner of speech turned some undecided voters off.

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Kenneth Graham Brownsvile Brooklyn

We need to get away from the federal reserve. They're the reason for all this financial mess. can Barak help america with that? I hope so cuz if wee keep dealin with the federal reserve we are all diging ourself in a ditch. You me everyone. What can we do as a people a country to stand up against the Federal reserve? Because we as americans, as people need to stand up against then and we could be a happyer America. I hope the Illuminati don't come and throw a monky wrench in the game. Lol forreal. We need to come togeather and stand up against the international banker because they want to take s down.

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Uma in Liverpool, UK

When's the last time most of the news was still so bad, and most everybody was so happy, at the same time?

Credit where it's due: Senator John McCain's concession speech was the old McCain integrity and grace.

President George Bush's congratulatory speech was also honourable and more relaxed than he's seemed in years.

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  7. EJ (USA)

That moment last night hit me like I never expected it to. I cried for so long. What an amazing feeling & an amazing night. Yes we can!

November 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Rexly

I'm a junior in high school and the managing editor of my school paper and I have to say that last night will be one of the most memorable moments in my life. When I grow up, I can tell my kids that I witnessed history.

9. Jamie

I can not put into words the JOY that my heart is feeling right now. It is so amazing to witness this historic moment. Dr. King and all of the other Civil Rights Leaders that are now gone are smiling down on us at this moment. This is a new day for all people of America, regardless of the color of your skin.

10. Ron in Texas

Hi Anderson,
    Everyone needs to flock around the water pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Obama is going to walk on water there.

11. Riq

I think we should reflect on McCain's concesoin speech. He expressed support after a long and, at times, bitter campaign. I believe is expression of support was respectable.

12. Latisha

This is the greatest day in history and I am so proud that I was part of it.

13. John

I proudly voted for Obama. However, I am tired of people keep emphasizing "race." After all, most people voted based on his character and not his race. We looked past his skin color, and that is wonderful for us as a nation. Keep talking about it means that we still have not past it.

The key is we voted for the best candidate, not that we voted for an African American (not to mention, he is biracial). Geez.

14. eric

Anderson

Who do you think Obama will pick for the Negotiation Mediation Board to help out the Unions that will be going thru contracts?

15. Sean Weller

Anderson- It would be nice if you answered this... What happened to the third party candidates in the election? I haven't heard a word about them, although they really didn't make much of an impact... thanks for an answer, and have a good show tonight!

-Sean Weller

16. Lily, Connecticut

I like how other places in the world celebrated with us.

17. Shamara

Yesterday was a day in American history we will never forget. We changed the U.S. history books forever. God Bless America.

18. Crystal G. from Ontario Canada

I just want to comment as a Canadian that has been following the Election in the US.
    I believe that Mr. Barak Obama, president elect of the United States is going to do a lot for the US. He is the Man that will help turn the US from the country, that a lot of people believe has had its image tarnished by the past and present.
    Alot of people think of the US government as bullies, as ignorant, and having little regard for cultures other than their own.
    I think that Mr. Obama will change that view. I hope that his word “Change” will hold the hope and belief of the people there and around the world. And He will help change the US, That once again make people believe that America is a great nation. One that I am again proud to have as a neighbor.

19. jaitori

I am so proud of the distance that we have gone. That we could vote for this intelligent man. He has given us hope that we can move together. I was driving home in the evening and just screamed out when I heard that Mr. Obama had won! I have not stopped weeping for the possibilities that Mr. Obama offers.

20. David Wiggins

Wow! There is hope for this country after all! What an amazing night!

Why haven't they called NC?

21. Joji Jacob

It is a great day for our country but sadly this sentiment is not shared by all. I am a mental health professional who counsels pts and famliies daily. After the election, i have encountered comments from clients and people in the community about the "capacity of a black man to be president" As a man of color, I have noticed white people looking very frustrated and angry. This is odd as I live in a liberal area. The country needs to heal and the complex layers of race in America still need to peeled until we fined the true core that all of us share.

22. Maurice

i must say this election has been so captivating to me. I will always remember November 4, 2008 as a day when America was united in an unprecedented manner.

23. Sarah from Naperville

CNN's Election Center kept everyone excited and informed at last night's rally in Grant Park. I have never witnessed such excitement in the city. The environment was electric. As a student, I believe this will be a day I;ll remember for the rest of my life. I am fortunate my first election was historic.

24. keith

you know i think its time for all of us black and white to come together its over the race card need to be gone he was the best person for the job and i thank god for him not because in black because he had a plain and stayed the corse it shows he was the man for the job !

25. Ann -Grand Rapids, MI

Hi Anderson,

Great job as usual covering this historical election.

It is a great day in American history and as a teacher, I believe it's important for kids to see that there is always hope and things can change.

26. Roderick

If the Republicans want to ever win and capture the White House again they have to move from the right to the center as the country has been doing.

The far right will be "wrong" if they are unwilling to be moderate in the next four years.

27. Sean - Tucson

American Voters: A good judge of character.

28. Juan Herrrera, Houston, TX

We have lived History yesterday.Now is time to move forward, and bring the Change we all voted for.

29. Christopher

Good evening,

All things are possible with GOD. I would like to say to all my black men out there that have sons, let them know the dream is possible and they can be whatever they want in life, maybe the President now. I would also caution black men it's time to raise the bar in our: relationships, jobs, education and social status. From now on it should never, I mean never be a little boy or a grown man with their head hanging low, keep that head up high. Hillary Cllinton made cracks in the ceiling, but Obam… Continue

30. Cat

I am glad that Obama was elected, it is a turning point for our country however, I don't like the fact that people keep referring to him as a black man, after all his mother was white! Did America foget this? Why can't we just focus on him being a great American?

31. Ryan

Whats first the economy or the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Could the end of the war in Iraq help fix the economy?

32. Lisa In Florida

The Dream is Alive! What a wonderful country that we live in! YES WE CAN! YES WE DID!

33. Adam A. Tucson, AZ

Good evening Anderson– I do have a question about the future of the Republican Party after this. Could we potentially see a permanent rift between the social moderates and social conservatives...with the moderates possibly going to the Libertarians and the conservatives staying in the Republican Party with Palin or someone similar as their leader?

34. Sharon Marlton NJ

what a great day for America, I am so proud and listening to Obama's speech really gives me alot of hope during these trying times

35. Blake

I am interested in how the whole transition process works to the white house? Could you elaborate?

36. Allan A

I think his secretary of state should be Hillary Clinton. What do you think?

37. liz toledo oh

the magic map is awesome. I was glued to it, on tv and online. I want one (John King analysis comes along with it?)

November 5, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI November 5th, 2008 10:04 pm ET

Hello bloggers! I’m surprised I’m still awake….didn’t get much sleep last night.

Jolene.....
    Ohhhhh!!! you didn't sleep all day and night?????? oh! I am sorry..... you didn't sleep so much!!!

39. Robbie Schott

Are there any other indications of people that Obama may choose to fill the rest of his cabinet?

40. Megan From Washington, DC

Hi Anderson!
    Yesterday, was one of the most amazing days I have ever seen in America. Being an African-American woman college student the hope and the pure joy that I felt when I saw Obama speak is one that I will carry with me for a lifetime.

41. Terrence H

Hi everyone.

November 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  42. stephanie

Good Evening Anderson – It' s been a beautiful day and I can't wait to see what tommorrow brings.

My friends and neighbors feel as if a huge weight has been lifted. It may sound "airy fairy" but we need a break from all the fear mongering.

I want to say thankyou to President Elect Obama and his incredible team of paid staff and all the volunteers, for working so hard on behalf of all of us. You too will go down in history.

November 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  43. Daniel

A triumph for civil rights–and yet on the same night a tragedy. Gay people reminded again, and again, that they are second class citizens. And it barely makes the headlines. Strip any other group of people of the same rights and the world takes notice. I'm happy for African Americans–and sad for gays.

November 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Chanon from Denver

Anderson, great coverage last night (as usual).
    I'm hopeful, relieved, and thrilled. At the same time, I wonder why with such a large support for a Democratic president, homophobic measures passed in multiple states. Am I missing something?

November 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  45. Emily from Pasadena

Very exciting indeed! Although, when I went to school this morning, everyone seemed normal. No one was buzzing about the president elect. It was weird, of course I was all excited and ready to share my views and happiness but no one brought it up. All in all, I'm just amazingly thrilled that Obama won. 🙂

November 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Deborah - Austin, TX

Anderson, It's been an incredible journey, and I can't wait to see where our new president-elect will take us. I just wish to acknowledge what an achievement this is for multiracial Americans as well as African-Americans. His being biracial has hardly been of any interest in the media, but as a biracial American myself, this election is a monumental one for us, too.

November 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Robbie Schott

I want one of thos magic maps for geography lessons in school!

November 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Sarkis Demirdjian

What does President Elect Obama's win do for Canadians and the country of Canada?

November 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  49. Belinda

Is David Gergen going to be on today? I saw him on Oprah!

November 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  50. EJ (USA)

Sad day here in Ohio:(

That's interesting to hear – especially since Ohio went for Barack Obama...

November 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |