November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Barbara P.,Gaffney SC

Good evening Anderson and bloggers.

What a great day this is for Americans. I have been really interested in the response that the rest of the world is giving to the U.S. We now have a chance to be what we once were "a shining beacon" to the world.

November 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  2. Veena

Just a thought – all politicians make promises that they don't necessarily keep in 4 or 8 years – so why are we so quick to jump on Obama – that too a day after his win – he hasn't even been inaugrated yet.
    Race or not – I think people have even higher expectations of him than they would have had of McCain.

November 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone blogging. I felt very good about Obama's speech last night, felt like he was talking about getting down to the business of working again on the American dream. I think one of CNN's analysts or reporters said that last night, but I had that feeling too.

November 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Uma in Liverpool, UK

This is not only a victory for the USA! The world is happier than you have no idea!

November 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  5. Diane - IL

Hello Anderson! This is the first election where I can say the results brought me to tears, happy tears of joy. As the first African-American president, Barack Obama is an inspiration for all minorities, for all Americans, that anything is possible. The crowds of people gathered at Grant Park and elsewhere to celebrate Obama's win, were of all races. Americans can feel proud of themselves that as a country we have been able to move forward, and put race aside. . I hope that yesterday was the start of things to come, where we no longer talk about a candidate's race, religion or gender.

November 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  6. missy

why isn't there a link for Erica's webcast?

November 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  7. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

John King does such a great job on the Magic Map. That segment was very interesting.

November 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  8. Simone

Anderson,
    Just wanted to give kudos to you and your CNN team for an excellent job last night.... I was very moved after the announcement when you allowed the panel members to share their thoughts.... that was a truely genuine moment
    Yours,
    Simone
    Canada

November 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  9. Maureen T

Wonderful map John King! Time to retire it now though, okay? 🙂

November 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  10. Kelly

I am a white, southern, Christian. When I heard the news that Sen. Obama had won the Whitehouse, I fell to my knees, tears streaming down my face, and thanked God that this amazing man will be leading our country out of the nightmare of the past eight years into a bright, new future!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  11. MaryBeth

No he wasn't. He was just stating that some of the things he promised would take time. You cannot do everything at once. And once he starts getting his top secret briefings, he might have to change some stuff...the President is privy to a lot more info than we know about.

November 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  12. John from Tennessee

It is so good that we can turn the page on Bush economics and start moving in the rifght way. With Rahim Emanuel as the chief of starte I wonder who his secretary of State will be?? Any guess....

November 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  13. Karen (CRR)

Is it not just great that the individual we elected is rolling up his sleeves and getting this transition team up and moving. Unfortunately, there is no time for rest after such a long demanding contest. This re-inforces the strength of this individual and great expectations he has of himself. We all need to take note and roll up our sleeves starting today also.

November 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I love John King is best touch magic wall to see red and blue!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

This is the new, ' Where were you when...?' and I am proud to say that I was watching it and cried with my friends for joy when it happened.

November 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  16. kim-chicago

What an amazing country this is...

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  17. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

In my 25 years of life, this was the proudest I've ever felt to be an American. I was particularly pleased to seem my generation lose the apathy we were once known for and really take part in this historical election!

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  18. Mark Collins

"Melting pot" is not just an idea. We do not have to be a remake of the British Empire.

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  19. Shakir Razak

Hi,

First, I just wanted to Thank the great team of analysts on CNN< especially Mr. Gergen who has provided so much thoughtful perspective and insight.
    If he isn’t tapped by the Obama team, then I hope he’ll continue to appear as much as he has over the last year+.

Can anyone at CNN please get an American expert who also knows of Tony Blair’s victory in 1997.

So many people have seemed excited by Tuesday’s victory, but those who know, have seen how this might end; when I’ve mentioned the similarities, reality quickly returns.
    Everything from the media-management, to preparing the need for a 2nd term on day 1, et al.

If cross-party politics is genuine, then he should include a few Bush team members, as well as people like Colin Powell, even at the expense of some key Democratic politicians.
    He should remember that the margin was actually quite narrow, and not let his programme be distracted by social matters: Health, Economy, Environment, War and Iraq should be it in the first term.

He should be prepared of the worst possibilities, so that he isn’t caught off-guard like Bush was post-9/11, and subsequently pushed off-course so that he has to respond in insecurity to prove his toughness.

It would be wrong for the nation’s future if complacency on minority issues was to set in just by one the results of one election. A black president could help a lot if he helped more people of color be seen, as well as promoting mentoring programmes.

Finally, are people’s memories so short that “Third Way” has been completely forgotten?

The feeling seems to have far more to do with relief that the bush-43 era is almost finally over.

Yours kindly,

Shakir Razak

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Uma in Liverpool, UK

Happy, happy, 😀 *silly permagrin* 😀 greetings from England!

Group hug, to the Most-Over-Tired-Political-Team-in-Television.

Anderson, et al, I've been laughing and crying and watching this story all day, and I honestly feel the electricity that's been zooming around the globe...

Feelin' the love,

Uma

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Belinda

I had a friend in Chicago go to the Tribune's office and get me a copy! I will be checking my mail for the next week!

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Jeanine

Sad day here in Ohio:(
    I do believe we have to stand behind him , even if we don't agree with everything. It is the only way to move forward.

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Olu

I still do not understand how Obama did, and I doubt I ever will.

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson. I am proud to say that history has been made in my lifetime! Tears of happiness have been shed in the last day! President Elect Obama has been passed the baton by the late Martin Luther King Jr.!! What a wonderful time in the world!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  25. Mary C Zuniga

As a 5th generation Hispanic American, having lived through the struggles of the Civil Rights Movement-I can tell you this-nearly 24 hours after the confirmation of this amazing victory tears of joy still flood my eyes. What a woderful time to be alive!

November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Dee F

Congratulations to the people of the United States of America. Yesterday, you truly were UNITED.

November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama was already backing off of his promises during his acceptance speech last night.

November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  28. MaryBeth

There was a line down Michigan Ave. from the Tribune Tower to buy copies of the Chicago Tribune.

November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello bloggers! I'm surprised I'm still awake....didn't get much sleep last night.

November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Olu

I am sure goin to miss the campaign trail

November 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  31. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

I would like to thank you for your coverage of the election.

I’m sure the US President will lead the country to more prosperity.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

November 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Yeah!!! it was so great for him to be elected -president!!!!! his history have more powerful!

November 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Lissa

Good evening all – we Canadians rejoice with you. I spent much of my evening in tears last night – simply overwhelmed by this monumental election of a man truly right for the job and for his country.

November 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Kevin B from Ohio

Why hasn't CNN called the presidential race in North Carolina or Missouri?? 100% of the precincts are reporting.

November 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Yvonne in Georgia

When I went outside this morning to get the newspaper there was a great sense of peace in the atmosphere. It was as if our forefathers and slave ancestors could finally rest in peace. It's a new day.

November 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  36. Belinda

This is a victory for ALL of America. This everyone know that anyone can be President, for their content of their character and nothing else.

November 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Norma

WE DID IT???

My goodness we did it!!!! Once OBAMA-BIDEN take office, America will be able to lift her head and no longer be ashamed nor be ashamed of the policies or "lack of policies" the Bush Administration allowed her to endure. I am now proud to be an American..We should be moved that integrity, character and honor will be restored. It's unfortunate that Rep. Stevens of Alaska does not have these qualities, if he did he would realize that it would be best to resign, if not for himself, at least for his family. Don't put them through this.You should care about them. That was the problem OBAMA-BIDEN "care" and because of this, we elected them....The world is watching...we've been a joke to long...Give it up!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Olu

Hello anderson and best bloggers. We sure did it.
    Its all still surreal. How I cried yesterday

November 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Steven, Las Vegas, NV

I think its wonderful that Obama was elected. Obama being the President Elect has already energized the entire planet. When in history has that ever happened? It really shows that the world is looking to the United States to be a great country again, and bring our standing in the world to number 1 again. Obama will do that for the United States, and that is a great feeling being an American.

Steven – Las Vegas, NV

November 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Minou, New York City

At 9 AM all the NYT and WSJ were sold out! I ran around Tribeca and could only find one lonely copy of the New York Post!

November 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  41. Candace from Canada

Good Evening Anderson!

What a great day for the USA!

Such hope for a better future!

A truely exciting time in history. 🙂

November 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Michael - Springfield, PA

Evening Anderson, Erica and fellow Bloggers. I agree Heather, it was a great day

November 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  43. EJ (USA)

Congratulations President Elect Barack Obama!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Brandon T.

I am a white 19 year old first time voter in Atlanta, Ga and voted for Obama. I drove down to the resting place of Dr. King today and saw a great outpour of White’s, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians. I think many Americans, Democrats or Republicans are all witnessing people from all around the world embrace the United States as a land of hope. Obama has many challenges ahead of him, and we have the right leader in the white house for those challenges. Long Live The Dream!

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Belinda

I am so happy, I can hardly contain myself!!!!! President-elect Barack Obama!

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Minou, New York City

Hi everyone.
    A new era has begun for this country!
    Here in Harlem, you could hear celebratory honking for an hour straight after the Obama win announcement.

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. MaryBeth

Happy Wednesday! It's a new day in America!!!! YES WE DID!!!

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Olu

Yes we did!

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Hello Anderson and best bloggers!!
    Congrats Obama!!! It was so amazing to see Obama on the stage...... Thank you people for vote Obama!!! He touched my heart last night!! I love his speech!

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |