November 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/5/08

Tonight on AC360°, Barack Obama's transition to power. The president-elect is already making some moves to fill the hundreds of jobs needed in his administration.  Also tonight, the emotional reaction from around the world to Obama's victory. Tears and smiles. High-fives and happiness. We'll show you the celebrations in the streets of small towns and big cities across the globe. History has be made. America has its first black president.

We want you to take part in tonight's 2-hour newscast. All you have to do is scroll down and share your thoughts. But don't forget our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!! (we don't like our fans screaming at one another)
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

Plus, our live web camera from the 360° studio.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Maureen, Georgia

The Obama family looks so great together, you can see that they love each other.

November 6, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  2. Jacqui Chan

it really is so beautiful to see so many black people so happy and personally touched that Obama won; it took to long but I am very glad the day finally came!
    Congradualtions to the Obama family and a wonderful 8 years to all Americans!
    GOODNIGHT

November 6, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  3. Lori from IL

A great end to a great show. Keep up the good work Anderson.

November 5, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  4. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Great pics from Callie Shell! You can tell that they are in love with each other. Very touching.

Great show tonight. Nite all.

November 5, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  5. Barbara P.,Gaffney SC

Obama needs to govern the country with the strong leadership he showed during the campaign.

I also think that Michelle Obama will make a great first lady.

November 5, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Wednesday evening. Thanks to all at CNN. I'm glad the election is over. The hard work begins for every American. Night all

November 5, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  7. Jo

Think about it – Barack, a young man, is half white, half black, has a Muslim name, is Christian, is also of African ancestry, went to school in Indonesia, was born poor, went to Ivy league institutions of higher learning, has daughters and was raised by a single mother as well as a grandmother. Have I left out any group? It was meant to be. Isn't it such a co-incidence that his innauguration will be close to MLK birthday?

November 5, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  8. CAROLYN JONES

i hope that sen&mrs obama get a chance to catch their breath and get some rest they've been running for two years almost none stop. i told you that god was in this one. tom if it was just the economy, then sen mccain/palin also had time to prove themselves to be leaders they did not. they never had a game plan for leading the nation but plyed on folks fears,and hate to get them to the finish line. prayer changes things, the prayers of the righteous prevaileth much. thank god for the man" sen obama. not messiah, not, agod or something different just a intelligent humble man. god bless america.

November 5, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  9. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I think the Chicago Tribune version of announcing Obama as the new President would be more in demand and make more money on Ebay than the New York TImes version. I'm with Anderson, I threw mine away too! I guess I better dig it out then.!

November 5, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  10. Shea, North Carolina

I am 29 years old and this was my first time voting for a democrat for president. I think he will do a great job!!! I am still wondering why they haven't called North Carolina yet?

November 5, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  11. Minou, New York City

Those are great snap shots of the Obama family! Says a lot about them.

November 5, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  12. Martie

The poor Obamas will probably be deluged with gift puppies – or at least the offer of them!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  13. anna

i didnt grew in segregated south, im living here now...and im smart enough to understand things....what i dont understand is...why took so long for this country to get here?

November 5, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  14. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Love the "Good Cop / Bad Cop" theory of a strategy for new administration in the White House! Great panel discussions tonight! Gonna miss them as we transition out of the political discussions...or at least I'm thinking we will. Ha!

November 5, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  15. Heather,ca

I cant believe that people in this country want to deny same sex couples their civil rights. If they want to enjoy the fun that all of straight couples go through, I say let them. The arguments over bills and taking out the trash. Come on everyone should be allowed to argue over being lost and should you ask for directions and I think you have enough gadgets. We may have said all men are created equal, but denying a human being their civil rights because of their sexuality proves we still have a long way to go.

November 5, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  16. Ferne from Nixa, MO

I am a hispanic that is standing taller today. Yesterday I told my wife, I remember when I was smaller and seeing a black president on a movie and telling my parents "look a black president." I also remember hearing them say "it is never going to happen"...I cried last night knowing that I will never tell my childern that. Yes we can!

November 5, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  17. Nijae' Burgess

Good Evening Mr. Cooper and political analyzers, I am Nijae' from Bermuda and I am 19 years old. I am in school in Canada. This win for Obama has affected not just America, but it has had an impact on the world. I am in a predominantly white city in Canada. Being black in the city that I am in can have a negative impact on my self-esteem because of the things some people say. But waking up today knowing that a Black man had won the U.S. election, I felt as if nothing could hold me down. Obama’s win has inspired me to embrace change even in the 21 sq. Mile island of Bermuda. I have great respect for McCain, but this win will affect me for the rest of my life.

November 5, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  18. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

I heard the first family will be getting a Labradoodle because of the allergies...
    I have my yellow lab Brady (after a certain quarterback) and he's been my CNN watching buddy through the whole election:)

November 5, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I agree with David Gergen's comment, He have a good point about Obama's future.....

November 5, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  20. Martie

Unless you grew up in the segregated South, you can't truly comprehend what this means – both to African Americans and others who participated in the civil rights movement of the '60's.

November 5, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  21. Steve Acton

Last night was one of America's greatest moments! Watching the night play out to the eventual election of our first black president was something this 60 year old, white man had believed would never happen. And, after the gloom of the last eight years, am once again proud to be an American!

November 5, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  22. LAURA

Hi everyone just want to say again last night the world saw the United States elect the best man to move not just us forward but the world forward. It's going to be a long road but together we can do it.
    I also want to say I love David Gergen!!! I don't want him to go away.. Can't CNN create a show for him a weekly show. I want David Gergen to stay...

November 5, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  23. Ken in NC

When I went out for breakfast this morning there seemed like a quiet peace had come over the world. I felt good.

November 5, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  24. Heather,ca

I love how CNN asks Palin a question and she cant give a direct answer and goes on and on.

November 5, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  25. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

I loved seeing Condoleeza Rice so obviously ecstatic about this election! The excitement and pride from this historic vote really CAN cross party lines!

November 5, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  26. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Good Evening everyone! "Diva" isn't a "lifestyle as Sarah Palin suggests, it's a mindset.

Relative to California's Proposition 8, which America do we love? The one built on love or the one built on hate? The one built on progress or the one built on regress? Our country is still divided, but now is going to be led by a man with open arms rather than one with them folded across his chest. I hope all Americans benefit from this change even though some of us were trampled last night.

November 5, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  27. Maureen, Georgia

Natasha I could'nt have said it better, I wanted to comment on that but did'nt know how to say it. I don't think they understand not being Black.
    This is an intelligent, successful man that God gave us, who understands peoples everyday problems and will work for all of us. I'm very happy that I'm here in this time to witness history. President Elect Obama is going to need all our help to get this country back on the right track.

November 5, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  28. Emile

Imani McCain was the Republican nominee a lower positon may be view as an insult. He was nearly the president Sec. of Sate is certainly reasonable. As for Arnold I would not discard him so quickly he is moderate and certainly has lots of public appeal.

November 5, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  29. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

I am a 40yr. old white woman from northern VA that had less than 30 black students in my entire high school back in the 80's which had thousands....
    I was so moved and joyful to see the voting line of whites,blacks, asians, latinos, and indians....This area is a true melting pot which is what the US is all about!!!
    Oh happy day:):)

November 5, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  30. Bobbie

Cortez said, "I think Obama will strive for bi-partisianship but what I am afraid of is that even though he may hold is hand out , many republicans will not accept and continue to stand on party ideals just to make things difficult."

Here that, Nancy Pelosi?!

November 5, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  31. stephanie

I was just about to write that I hoped Obama would go to a shelter to adopt a dog, when Anderson announced thats what they would do. I think Oprah might have had something to do with that. After having dogs and cats and more my entire life, the only dog I have ever purchased was one of my Jack Russell's "Miss Maizey Belle" who is now 13. All the others have been rescued at shelters or on the side of the road. Whatever breed, whether pure bred (from a shelter) or a mutt, they have no idea how much love and joy it will bring to their lives. And if they have any problems they can just call The Dog Whisperer, Cesear Milan.

November 5, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  32. Imani from Maryland

I think that the Senators have also done a great in striving to control the house.

November 5, 2008 at 11:32 pm |