November 5th, 2008

Evening Buzz: Obama Makes History

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/11/05/obama.transition/art.obama.gi.jpg caption="Barack Obama could start naming his Cabinet as early as Wednesday."]Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Less than 24 hours after being elected president, Barack Obama is already working on his transition team. Democratic sources say he's asked Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to be his chief of staff. Emanuel was a Clinton White House aide. Who else might be part of Obama's inner circle? We'll talk it over with the best political team on television, tonight on AC360°

Who would you like to see in Obama's administration? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also tonight, the celebrations across the globe. People took to the streets all over the world to live up the historic moment. For the first time, the United States will have a black president.

So, many people had this to say: "I never thought I'd see a black president in my life."

Perhaps the most poignant  moment came in Atlanta, on the street where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was born, preached and is buried.

At King's Ebenezer Baptist Church, the Rev. Raphael Warnock walked to the pulpit and quieted the crowd just moments after Obama was declared the 44th President of the United States.

He quoted King's last speech saying, "I have been to the mountaintop. I have seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but we as a people will get to the promised land."

He then added, "Tonight we have seized the promise of America."

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. MEL

We will be walking with you, we are with you. thank you, we are so proud of you and we honor you. President Barack Obama

November 6, 2008 at 10:51 am |
  2. Dawn from Alaska

It is not often that a charismatic leader , a good, strong, intelligent man with such positive qualities appears on the scene where and when needed. His biracial parentage, humble background, absent father, school in Indonesia, empathetic mother, upbringing by strong, loving, and sacrificing grandparents, search for his own identity, route to manhood, arrival at this spot in history : all these facts seem to make him "ALL MAN" We can all see part of ourselves in this man so we know that he can understand and want to help us. And yet, in him we can also see someone who is better than each of us, someone who seems to encompass the best of all of us. He's not perfect but he's damm good. He inspires, gives hope, brings us together, and that is comforting ! In a cold, scary, impersonal and depressing world, he has become our security blanket. We could become complacent just sucking our thumbs under the blankie but dignity counts. Obama expects that everyone will participate and assume responsibility for themselves, families, fellow man and democracy. We must all take part in some way. We can all make an effort . In the past eight years it was too easy to feel helpless and just tune out in one way or another. I am one of the 60's activists. I I was with Martin Luther King on the Selma Montgomery March. I went to Vietnem 68/9. I fought for women's rights all during the 60's and 70's. The 60's was a time to fight for change, freedom and individual rights. It felt good. Now is such a time, but the times have changed the fight. We're now engaged in globalization, financial security, , world peace, the environment , energy,and a host of other concerns. With Obama's inspired leadership and all of us assuming responsibilities, patience and the American CAN DO spirit, we will solve problems, fix what needs fixing, help those in need, stand against our enemies, make the whole world a better place and feel good in the doing. I believe that this is our time and President Obama's destiny to change our world for the best.

November 6, 2008 at 6:56 am |
  3. Ma-Jassie

Never In my Life that I thought a Black Man would become soemthing so High and powerful in this country .

Many people Look at us black and thign that we are stupuid and we were no use.

Well this the time that we African American can show that not every African American are stupuidsome actually got a Good Education

we are goin to make a big and he is going to the first and best American president

It same that people dont likehim well that's life you going to have people who jsut dont like you because of your skin color .

alot of people dont like him becasue he is black wellhe is going to change their mind and make them think different of a black person

November 6, 2008 at 5:22 am |
  4. Bob Pierce

As an American and a Christian I am joyful at America's choice of Obama, even though I disagree with him on several value issues of rights (gays, unborn). Why I feel he departs from Christian values in these areas, yet I believe he restores some Christian virtues to Washington in the example of his own marriage and family, as well as long neglected issues of social justice and access to a better life to people otherwise left out. I feel too many of my fellow Christians have been shameful in scandalizing him, reading too much into too many superficial background questions. We prolifers (attack me as you will) declare that life is sacred, protecting the unborn then leaving them to fend for themselves after the womb altogether. Bailouts are not the way, but copouts on our social responsibility on a governmental level also miss the boat, miss the sanctity of life in other areas.

I least I believe that Obama will listen to my Christian voice more than McCain would likely listen to the voices of those who are not Christian. That's the dialogue I have longed for many many years. Compassion for people outside "the congregation". God bless you Barack Obama, and God bless America.

November 6, 2008 at 4:16 am |
  5. Chelsea

I was watching Anderson Cooper tonight and one of the most precious clips came on during his show. It was a young school boy trying to get out the words by saying, “If Barack Obama can be elected President then I…” He couldn’t get his words out because he was choked up – he was trying to keep from crying and then sat down in his desk. It was so touching and moving. Anyone know where this clip is???

November 6, 2008 at 3:12 am |
  6. Igbonekwu johnson

I am 22 from Nigeria. Obama's victory was an unexpected one. It sways the wind that it is possible to have a free and fair and most reliable election unlike in most countries of the world. I believe this is a promised president for the province of America. Carry on mr PRESIDENT.

November 6, 2008 at 3:10 am |
  7. Rod

President Obama needs people that will provide the unvarnished truth to him and the American people. He needs people that put country above self and serve and aspire to something larger than themselves. In this light, I think appointing Joe Wilson as Attorney General of the United States would be a master's stroke og genius. He has demonstrated exellent judgement and a keen sense of right and wrong. He won't let you down and won't back away. The President elect exhibits the aloha sprit, something the country needs a good deal more of. Mahalo.

November 6, 2008 at 2:54 am |
  8. Margo Langford

Much of the discussion today has been about Barack Obama and his achievement – but what I took from his campaign, and what he tried to stress so much was that this election was not about him,. It is about a big idea that change comes from within each of us – call that hope, or personal commitment, but it requires a shift in thinking aware from cynicism and despair. We equate hope with idealism and youth. Some of your commentators have said as much. This is not only wrong it was just proven that people of all ages and indeed right around the world crave hope and will respond positively to someone who offers each of us a ray of hope. It is a fundamental human need.

We do all have our part to play now. First and foremost to never again be purveyors of doubt. Obama demonstrates what can be achieved if we banish doubt.

We don't succeed however by replacing doubt with wishful thinking but with positive action. We must share Obama's burden and have the power to do so every day in every way. We can seek out and teach young people how to achieve consensus, inspire action and effect change. We all have the power to support community-based leadership. We can do this in our families, our workplaces, our churches and organizations, our local politics. On a personal level we can each lead every day, by example through random acts of courage and kindness. Each time we do something that is about others, and not ourselves, we make the world a place more like the one Obama has challenged us all to create. Yes, we can, but moreover we must. Ask yourself, what can I do. There was another great President who sounded the same battle cry..

November 6, 2008 at 1:30 am |
  9. AG

In this amazing ground breaking election. Where healing age old divides and taking the country in a new direction has occurred. There is no doubt. As CNN continues to rehash and dice the map. Its’ clear; Obama’s message of hope and change permiated only so far.

Most notably in California where Prop 8 Passed. For the first time in our nation’s history, we have taken away rights, that were granted.

So this is a bittersweet victory and there is so much work to be done. So much work. Because the country needs to be healed, healed from within and without. There must be tolerance and education and new infrastructure, we must rebuild in so many ways.

To look at the demographics of the exit polls and see the demographic that voted for the measure allowing discrimination, I’m gravely saddened.

I wanted to comment, it's late, can't type. Sigh.

November 6, 2008 at 1:21 am |
  10. Natalie

This has been one of the most exciting few days of my life. I am a 41 year old white southerner from the state of Alabama. Our nation has shown its ability to study and choose the most qualified candidates in history and one who has an unbelievable amount of character and class. As I watched the announcement in favor of Obama, I screamed with excitement...in a room full of silence. It is such a disappointment that the state in which I live and raise my 2 teenage daughters is so judgemental and unenlightened. My own children requested I not "announce" my vote for president because of the ridicule they would receive from their friends and in fear we may be "targeted". Their Mom, a democrat...has to remain silent because of the scrutiny and narrow mindedness of Alabama's general population. So, through this blog, I have the opportunity to say "THANK YOU!! Everyone who saw the incredible man he is and his potential to lead us into recovery and prosperity. THANK YOU for Looking through the color and seeing the character of a man who is as Oprah said "bringing consciousness to America". The tears ran down my face with pride and encouragement. Hopefully, my daughters will see how I view the world without "preconditions" and be able to move beyond the narrow thoughts and judgements of the south. GO OBAMA! YOU ARE A BLESSED MAN AND HAVE ALREADY BESTOWED BLESSINGS UPON THIS NATION.

November 6, 2008 at 1:11 am |
  11. Barbara Kaiser

I understand this is a historical election and embrace the fact that it is a beautiful thing. However, I voted for Obama for his ideals and because I agreed with him on the issues. I, too cried last night in joy over Obama's win, not because he is part African-American but because he brings me relief that we have hope! Hope for a better nation. Hope for a better World. I am estatic!!!! I am middle class, miiddle age white woman. I am so HAPPY!! Thank you America for making the right choice! We now can work together to clean up the mess from the last 8 years!

November 6, 2008 at 1:07 am |
  12. J.V.Hodgson

Who in Obama's major positions.
    Well first of all I wish the leakers and gossip mongers would stop.It is his job as President to decide, and as an individual pundit ( no special expertise) I put forward a small,small set of names and ideas.
    1) If possible he should gather a team of "advisors" with backgrounds in Economics, International diplomacy, Energy,Military.
    Maybe even include Mccain on this, could be too risky. Mostly non government position holding individuals. frankly based on his style he is doing this already I believe.
    Meetings should be top secret and sealed as long as necessary.
    2) Names, Powell as Sec state or NSA or Intelligence overlord, Hilary on Heath and Labour,
    Bernanke stays as does Gates.
    3) Changes needed, Attorney general, SEC chairman, Homeland security and FEMA plusTreasury Secretary.
    Within his capaign he has obligations which he must honour, provided the people are capable, and we must acknowledge that many could be made offers which they refuse.
    It is great for the Media only to play the game and say we guessed right first, but you are guessing and worse still, pressurising potentially ,decisions in which you should not be involved in and even worse still will harangue him if in your esteemed opinion Obama chooses wrongly in your opinion.
    He will be shortly President and CIC. Let him do his job and choose for himself quietly and confidentially, when both sides have agreed and he announces the decision based on his judgement, tining and advice he will undoubtedly get. Let prospective office holders concentrate on being properly brifed withot gossip and rumour mongering or being harrangued by the media as a wrong choice.
    If you must make your predictions fine, (and state yoiur case of which you are certain) make them and stick with them and run the risk we all take of being wrong just like Obama might be, but there are many checks and balances in the system, let them work!!

Regards,
    Hodgson.

November 6, 2008 at 1:06 am |
  13. MS4BO

At this point, I could care less who he places in positions. Can he and the rest of the US be given a moment to relish in this remarkable, historic event? Not forever but at least today. I thank all of those of all ethnicities who accepted the pureness of heart in "President-Elect" Barack Obama. I was so afraid that people would look for every excuse in the book to find a reason to not pick the best candidate for the job. I am glad that this country proved me wrong. And please everyone understand how the african-americans feel right now and allow us to experience this moment that our ancestors have died, shed blood, and risked their life for. Understand that of course, this is an American Day, but respect, that today is very much a African-American Day as well.

November 6, 2008 at 1:04 am |
  14. Andrew Monarque

2 years ago I first saw Barack Obama that he was to run for president. At first I admit to having my doubts about Obama, but my doubts actually drew me toward hearing and understanding him. I was able to see him grow not only as a polititian, but also as an icon of inspiration for the American people. His victory for the presidency has showed me that the sky is the limit and that anything is truely possible. His victory has also showed me that America has matured from its racial history and has now opened up the opportunity for any able minority to become president as well. God bless this day and the days to come, so that we (the American people) may revive ourselves from the problems that America faces.

November 6, 2008 at 12:52 am |
  15. Roxanna Roman Huntington Beach, CA

God Bless America!!
    Feels great to witness history!!! Barak Obama's speech was just so heart touching, the American Dream lives!!! yes we can!!!

“Preservation of one's own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures.”- Cesar Chavez

November 6, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  16. Don

What a great day for America! The people have spoken, and loudly, not for Barack Obama but for all of us. Americans screamed for one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all! The people said no to hate, racism, and the divisive politics of old. The people screamed for a United States of America.

The question now is “ what will we do from here? Will some Democrats gloat? Will some Republicans continue with animosity? Will America continue to go with the I am right you are wrong attitude or will we start doing what is right for all of us? Will we go back to it’s my way or the highway or will we fight for everyone’s way?

We must not let this glorious moment die. We must now work together to truly build a United States of America. We can still have different view points but we cannot continue with hate and division. We must have respect for one another and be inclusive not divisive. If someone speaks of hate, racism, and divisive politics of old, just say no..

Congratulations for getting it right America. We must now continue to be vigil and do right for America. We can not go back to watching and complaining of the direction of our government. We must be active daily and be a part of guiding our government. Our civic duty does not end today. It is a daily and continuous duty. What will you do for our great country? God Bless America,

November 6, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  17. Maureen / Newman, California

It felt like Christmas waking up today. This is wonderful! I finally feel hopeful again.

November 5, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  18. Gerry from Chicago

As an American, a Democrat and a person of color/African-American, I am very happy at the outcome of this election! Though I voted for Hillary in the primaries, I had no problem casting my vote for Barack Obama, as I truly believe he is the right person this country needs at this moment in time. With regard to domestic policy, international policy, and the need to reverse the destructive and divisive politics of recent years, I don’t believe any other candidate would have been better suited to improve the lives of Americans that Barack Obama. However, I must say that the repeated reference to the President-elect as African-American always catches my attention because that reference totally ignores the other half of that which makes this man. Multi-cultural or inter-racial would be more accurate, don’t you think? The fact that the union of a Pakistani man and white woman, or Japanese woman and white man, or Croatian woman and German man tend to give pause to those who want to label, with no hesitation to call Barack black, perhaps indicates the relatively short distance we still need to travel as a nation in dealing with race.

November 5, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  19. Trica Van Meter

I am a 28 year old multi-racial (Cherokee Indian, Mexican, Dutch and German) mother of a child who's father is African American! I have recently moved to Chicago, but still drove 400 miles yesterday to Columbus, Ohio to place my vote for Barack Obama. I believe that he is the man that can motivate ALL Americans to work together and make our country better for our children.
    I can't even express how happy I am that a man of color is going to lead our country. I am now able to look in my daughters eyes and actually know that she can do or be anything she wants to in her life!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  20. Dr. Randy Nichols

It was an incredible night. I'm glad to be at a stage in my life where I can appreciate the significance. I was too young to remember or understand the "I Have A Dream" speech, I was too young to appreciate Thurgood Marshall's Supreme Court appointment but last night, it was very enjoyable to appreciate why Michelle and so many of us were finally proud of our country in a sense of moving past race to embrace someone who could and will do a fine job representing this country at home and abroad with grace and a quiet dignity that transcends the negativity some want to stubbornly cling to! Congratulation to all parties and here's to moving democracy on to another level.

November 5, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  21. Perry

I am so impressed with this man. I’ve studied his actions, I’ve studied his works (especially his Blueprint for America), I paid attention to his words. I’ve watched his every action. This man has it all. This man has dotted his I’s and crossed his T’s and has done it all for America, and it shows. There never seems to be an issue I could possibly bring to his attention that he does not already have an intelligent, well researched and constitutionally sound plan and solution for. When I seen him take the time to address Joe the Plumber’s concerns, I wasn’t surprised. I could tell his flexible and citizen-oriented plan was already in motion.

President Elect Barack Obama is a perfect example of what happens when you are not afraid to do the right thing when it has to be done no matter the situation! He is a natural leader and he will attract natural leaders (even bi-partisan) to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done!

And might I add, that this is what happens when every law abiding citizen gets a chance to vote and know that their vote has been counted. Moreover, cream always rises to the top! And this is clearly the case.

The only thing I can add is God Bless President Elect Barack Obama, his family, his staff and all of his supporters both nationally and the world over.

Last night we seen a miracle!
    Today we see America!

God Bless America

– Perry

PS.
    Your friends in Canada!

November 5, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  22. Ferne from Nixa, MO

I don't know who I would like to see Obama pick for his team, but I do know that I want to see leaders that run in the center from every party and leaders that will have a "food fight" behind closed doors and come out in a united front.

November 5, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  23. deizy

Each time I watch, I immediately start crying and imagine all the things I had thought I couldn't accomplish. I think Obama has touched every single human being and made us to believe that we can always get what we strive for......I LOVE U OBAMA......................

November 5, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  24. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

I would love to see Jack Cafferty as President Obama's Press Secretary. Now that would add a bit of spice to White House Press Conferences after eigthts years total snoozers !

November 5, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  25. Jim, Ca.

143 years from Lincoln to today.- Congragulations President Elect Obama.
    Ok Now Democrats- you have the White House & both Houses of Congress- NO MORE EXCUSES- & If I as a poor man get my taxes raised so much as one cent You will NEVER hear the end of it-Remember G.Bush #1

November 5, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  26. Denise H. Putman

I can't even count how many times I have made that same statement myself, but I can say this. A few days ago, as I watched my ninety-six year old grandmother, and my seventy-six year old mother cast their votes for Obama, it was just amazing. I wept. And during that precious moment in time, I thought of my sister, and tried to imagine the expression on her face as she sat with her daughter and grandaughters, and did the same thing. Four generations of women in my family voted for a man that they never thought they would have the opportunity to vote for in their lifetime. The fifth generation sat in our laps, and helped us color in the circles. Fifteen years from now, they will have the opportunity to cast their first vote for the President of United States, but they, unlike the four generations that have preceded them, will never have to make that statement

November 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  27. Cindy From CT

I am so proud that Barack Obama won the race for President. He will be Place into the White House on My birthday In Jan. 2009. That will be a great day for all . May God Bless Him and His Family.

November 5, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  28. Hadiya

Obama winning is an historic moment in american history. It is a hopeful rise for all people, no matter what color or religion in this country, to be anything they want to. I watched his speech and winning with tears. I was moved for America. It is great seeing an African American president. This is the true America, the America where change is always happening, the America of the founding fathers. Liberty has rung, the voices has spoken, and change has spoken.

I am a 16 year old Muslim American, and under Bush i have never felt as if were acknowledged as people, nonetheless as Americans. We were profiled, and were prejudiced against. But today i proudly say:
    I am an American and Muslim.
    And Yes We Can.

God bless.

November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  29. Presley

Whomever Obama chooses for his administration, I have the confidence in HIS choices.
    He maintained a campaign that could have derailed many times over but didn't.
    To me, he has proven how open, smart and decisive he is by surrounding himself with the right people.
    We celebrate not just as a nation but have re-emerged as the America we know we could still be. We gave up pretty much with Bush, look what happened to our country. Obama has already uplifted the attitudes of so many, let's all, Democrats and Republicans, make the most of all of this, please.
    I'm still excited and yes, emotional.

November 5, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  30. linda

I agree with the Colin Powell for Sec of State, how about Bill Richardson from New Mexico for Foriegn Affairs.

November 5, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Steve from Chula Vista

I was born the same year as President-elect Obama. In my youth, I watched as the Deep South showed us what racism was all about. The racism I experienced over the years and the corruption by those on the "right," led me to believe that NO ONE OF COLOR would ever be able to be president in this country. Last night, I was emotionally overcome by the Obama-Biden win. Now, I atleast have hope for my children and grand children. I pray that our country will continue to grow and heal for the sake of future generations and for other countries to believe that the United States can be a great country once again. Aloha Obama-Biden!

November 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Tinu Abayomi-Paul

I think Steve brings up the strongest point. We would all be blessed to see Colin anywhere in the cabinet but Especially as Secretary of Defense. He could help us resolve the conflict safely and in a way that the military would respect. I still remember the first Iraq war and how quick it was. He said: 'first we're going to surround it, then we're going to kill it'.

We did what he said, bam, war over.

And in particular since Colin has said that he endorsed Obama without any motive, and doesn't expect to be appointed, I think he would serve us well and with our interests in mind.

Also, I would like to see Obama appoint at least one more Republican and one Independent who was qualified. I would have loved to see Ralph Nadar involved with our energy policies, but he really screwed himself with that comment about "Uncle Tom". I don't think he meant it insensitively, read/heard in context. However, it showed his lack of understanding in a really sensitive cultural matter - even McCain knew better than that.

I speak as an independent who normally votes either Democrat or Republican, based on issues, and this time, voted for Obama. Wholeheartedly.

Obama has reached across the aisle as a Senator, and as President, I'd be very proud if he would continue that.

November 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Teresa

I trust President Obama's judgement in selecting adequate personnel to support his mission and that of our country. He has restored my faith in all the good that he represents as a professional and as a family man as well as an American. Serving the warfighter has been the primary reason I could withstand some of the policies supporting the military mission day-to-day. I have been inspired by him to want to go to the next level by getting my PHD. My mother has tried for years to get me to be an educator but my faith in the system was not there. I can truly say now that the boundaries of my mind have been expanded through his success. I will continue to support him in any way possible and look forward to the unveiling of his cabinet members. GO OBAMA!!

Teresa in Dumfries, VA

November 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Gabriela

Wow! We are full of hope for the U.S. and for the world. This is our first presidential election since we became citizens in 2005. We are originally from Mexico. Last night we were so moved and inspired, Obama has the potential of becoming one of the great leaders of modern times.

November 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Frederick Hayes

Im very proud of the Milestone we've reached as a country. I only hope we as a people are realistic with the challenges we face. We have built President-elect Obama up so much that I hope no one is disappointed if he can't walk on water. We need to give him time and be patient.

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Capn Al

I can't help but feel a strong sense of doom. Not because we elected the wrong person. We did not! But because the hate mongers of right-wing talk radio will crucify him. The garbage slung by the McCain campaign in the final days was nothing compared to what is coming soon from Rush and Sean. Run for cover America.

November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  37. janis servais

I am a Canadian and you know what I think many Americans are looking at this win wrong. There are many counties in the world including Canada have seen how the United States have gone in reverse and not forward. The other countries aren't looking at Obama as a win for Black Americans but a win for all Americans and we don't see the colour we see the man. Not only Black Americans had tears white Americans had tears and I also had tears (I am a 52 year old white female).

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Carol Wisdom-Tai

I would like to see Colin Powell in his circle.

Also I just want to say how proud I am of Obama, not just because he is black but because of the content of his character. It is so potent that even the babies are talking politics I am simply amaze. If I could talk to him I would encourage him to remain humble and be careful of the people he surrounds himself with. May God continue to bless him and his family as he take on this great task.

Goooooooooooo Obama sorry Mr. President
    I just love it . We did it.

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Lissa Desir

As a first generation american this is our promised land, i believe Obama should have a haitian american in his staff we have come a long way as a community building higher standard of living for the future of our kids and our country called America in which is adored much by the haitian people. its one thing being president of a predominately black nation and another to be president of a white "I am proud" dreams do come true!

November 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  40. LaDonna,Tulsa

Never before in the history has one single event tugged at the heartstrings of the whole world. God has catapulted this gracious man onto the stage at this perilous time in our history to be a shining example of a kinder, gentler world. My love, support and prayers are with him , his family and his appointees.

November 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  41. P.W.W

As I woke up this morning,

My eyes now see a vision that expands a little further...

My head holds up a little higher...

My dreams, my aspirations, now at arms reach...

And as children of America, we not only stand as all...

We finally stand as one.

November 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Tyrone

I never imagine I would saw this day.
    This day is for our childrens and thier children..Yes we Did

November 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Diane McKeel

After JFK died I remember a poet saying "As a nation we will laugh again, but we will never be young again." I think we have a reason to believe we as a nation now have a chance to be young again.

November 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  44. GClarkox

Won't it be great to have a President that can think on his feet and not slaughter the English language.

November 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Maria from Tx.

I'm 54 yrs old,female hispanic. I had only voted once in my life, in 1976 for Jimmy Carter. I would have voted for Clinton in the 90's but I had a personal ordeal and politics weren't a priority. In the orther elections during these 32 yrs. since I'd voted ,I always felt it was voting for the lesser of the 2 evils. I'm proud to say Pres. Elect Omaba is so unique in all aspects, I knew he was my man. I proudly voted for him and for the 1st time I feel America 's never going to be the same, It will ffinally be the America I'd hoped for. Politics will never be the same ol, same ol! I'm proud of America's people. Common sense is alive and well in the good old USA!

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  46. vwalsh

I was so moved to watch Barack Obama be elected. I did not vote for him because of race, I voted for the person. My 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend were so excited to see the election and results – we feel that change is on it's way!!

November 5, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  47. Steve

I think Collin Powell for Secretary of State will be a good pick for Barack Obama.
    Had the Bush administration not ignored his advice, our troops would be home..

November 5, 2008 at 9:54 pm |
  48. Sandy from Canada

Congradulations America the world is thrilled with the outcome of your elections. I have one question that i hope you can help me with. How can people vote for Obama and his principles and belief's of equality for everyone yet oppose those same ideas by voting to take away the rights of gay's to marry and adopt. I think that is hypocritical and prejudical. Looks to me like you're celebrating your win over racism by finding another minority to pick on, shame on you.

November 5, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  49. Don, WA

What I really like about this guy is the sense you get that he reads...everything...and that he see's beyond his own nose.

November 5, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  50. carol kesling

obama one word, AWESOME!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 9:36 pm |