November 5th, 2008

Dancing in Chicago's streets

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/05/crowd.pres.jpg]
Chris Welch
CNN Producer

As you can imagine, Michigan Avenue, lots of horns blaring, various dancing in street, people hanging out of moon roofs - ecstatic.

Not out of control however, it comes and goes in waves. No mass chaos as of now.

One older African American: thank you, Jesus, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus.

Other people heard: I never thought I'd see this. Never thought we'd see the day.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Barack Obama • Chris Welch • Raw Politics
  1. Amanda

I am very happy to hear there were no riots. Chicago people usually have a funny way of showing their happiness (think Bulls winning in the 90s riots). I am glad everyone acted mature.

November 5, 2008 at 9:24 am |
  2. Aruna

Hats off to the American people. Incredible.

November 5, 2008 at 6:23 am |
  3. Kajri

I’m beyond elated!! I was in Grant park and this moment was one of the most amazing time in my life….specially because it happened on MY BIRTHDAY! Thank you America for the most amazing birthday gift!

November 5, 2008 at 3:12 am |
  4. christopher warner

i just want to say that i would love to meet berack in person, because , what he did for minorities ...he motivated me as a man to just beleive anything is possible and not only that, he raised the bar as far as acomplishing anything is possible in life!!!!!!! congraduations...mr. president barock obama ...you the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 2:45 am |
  5. K

I find this whole African-American pride thing really amusing...remember when you all wouldn't claim him as one of you n the early days? He was too white, I recall...interesting...

Enjoy, now he has to live up to all his promises and all your expectations...good luck to you all!

November 5, 2008 at 2:29 am |
  6. Jessica

Yes, I could dance with gladness, too! I've been thanking God for letting Obama take the lead for the American people – starting today, on this very historic day.

I'm in the Philippines, but here it's the same spirit. My brothers and I adore Obama and are just so happy and excited for what's happening.

Long live, Obama! Long live, the African-Americans!

November 5, 2008 at 2:08 am |
  7. Don, WA

We are ready for a black president...Oh what a night. I went to boot camp in Chicago's Great Lakes...it changed me. It was the first time I made a black friend.

November 5, 2008 at 1:42 am |
  8. Bob V

As a Republican who was an Obama voter when he ran for the Senate- I am worried. Obama promised me so many things and I believed him: so he had my interest and then support; very much the same way he captured so many people to vote for him as President.
    However, my disappointment in his failure to accomplish a single promise as Senator made it clear his "Change" and "Hope" was another empty political promise. This election I cast my vote for John McCain, but the nation has elected Obama. I can only hope that America does not have to experience the same disappointment I experienced with Obama. Now is not the time for a President in the oval office that can not deliver. He has no excuses as the Legislature is controlled by his party. My fingers are crossed for the sake of my country.

November 5, 2008 at 1:34 am |
  9. Lilibeth

Oh, Chris, I am dancing in my living room right now! I could dance all night! What a night!

November 5, 2008 at 1:18 am |