November 4th, 2008

What I saw in line at the polls

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/04/art.chuck.voting.jpg

caption="83rd BETWEEN 1st AND 2nd, NEW YORK CITY"]
Editor's Note: We knew voters would turn out in full force, but even we were surprised at what we saw. AC360°  staff share their voting stories.

Penny Manis
AC360° Senior Producer

Precinct 111 on 53rd and 9th told me I was in wrong place after looking at my paperwork, and sent me to another site a block away. When I got to second location, they also told me I was in wrong place and sent me back to where I started to begin with! I guess the guy at the original location misread the number of my district. Thankfully the line was very short and I was in and out in 10 minutes when I was finally at the right place. Had it not been for the original confusion and circling of my block trying to vote, it would've been a totally pleasant and quick experience. After some initial irritation, in the end I guess it was all good. I was happy to vote as it was an inspiring experience, and what the heck some brisk morning exercise isn’t terrible, right?

From one shy AC360° staffer

Talk about quick at 102nd + Amsterdam! We ran into a neighbor on our way out of the building who said there was barely a line and he was right. I arrived around 11:45am, and was done in less then 15 minutes.

It wasn't all super smooth, though. My husband triple-checked his registration status online even after receiving his voter card in the mail, yet he wasn't on the roster. He had to fill out a paper ballot. The woman checking names said the same thing happened to her. He wasn't happy – still isn't. I told him to call the CNN voter hotline!

My son pulled the lever to record the votes; I love that he can be part of the process.

One interesting note: while I was waiting to sign in, a woman,  probably in her 50's, came out of the booth. The guy behind me in line, who looked to be in his 30's, waved and smiled. They said a warm hello and she then told him, looking a bit down-trodden, "Well, I did it. I'm a Hillary, and it still stings, but I did it." He said, "Good for you. Thanks." No idea who she voted for... though I could guess.

The other bit of convo I picked up on: they'd just run out of doughnuts.

Sean Yates
AC360° Senior Producer

My election day experience started with a celebrity sighting.

I stopped at Starbucks to get a coffee, and two caffeine addicts down from me in line is none other than Eli Manning, quarterback of the New York Giants.

I left him alone, in part because I was still half asleep and didn't want to sound like a gawking idiot fan and also because I wanted to get out of there to beat the rush to the polls.

It was only a one block walk to the polling station and I was prepared for a long line. In fact I expected one with the idea that I could drink my coffee and read the paper while waiting.

It didn't happen. There was no line. None. I walked in, voted and walked out in about two minutes with my nearly full coffee still in hand.

However, while heading to the gym I passed another polling station only two blocks away with a line that was around the block and three local TV stations which had satellite trucks set up for live shots.

And there in line was fellow Starbucks drinker, election day voter and Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning, waiting to vote, just like you (but not me!).

Brooke Turnbull
AC360° Staff

Move to the burbs! No lines, and baked goods in Greenwich, Connecticut district 1 at Julian Curtis School. In an out in less than five minutes with a cup of coffee in hand. Interesting that the old hand lever machines are gone. Paper ballots instead, mark it with a pen and slide it into an electronic scanner. Rather painless.

Brittany Harris
AC360° Producer

Washington Square Village  had almost no wait around 9:30am, about 20 people total and most were in line for the other precinct. The whole process took less than ten minutes. I asked the poll worker if it had been busier earlier and she said yes, but she also said in general it's not a busy polling station, so i think I just got lucky.

Kay Jones
AC360° Coordinating Editorial Producer

Precinct 73, in Hell's Kitchen, had a wait of about an hour, but that's due to only one voting machine.  The 2nd one was broken and they were still waiting as of 11a for someone to come down and fix it.  Fortunately, the workers were nice, and the line snaked around a big conference room.

Chuck Hadad
AC360° Producer

I vote at a school on 82nd between 1st and 2nd and the line goes out to 2nd, up the avenue and wraps down 83rd halfway to 1st avenue, easily 300 to 400 people deep, probably more, and similar lines around the hood. I've voted here for 7 years and it's usually a 5 minute wait. NEVER seen anything like this. I have to say, it's inspiring.

Eric Bloom
AC360° Producer

Same here. My station is on 51st and almost 3rd Ave. the line runs down to 2nd Ave, wraps around up to 52nd and half way back toward 3rd Ave. The McCain supporters are out in force!!

Barclay Palmer
AC360° Senior Producer

77th street station was an hour+ wait. With a line down 77th and up Amsterdam to 78th. No sign of McCain supporters on this part of the west side. But there was a school bake sale.

Filed under: 2008 Election • AC360° Staff • Voting
  1. Felecia

Voted early and I'm glad I did! Go Obama!

November 4, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  2. Duffy

I got up at 4:30 this morning (groan) and was at my polling place in Belleville, IL. by 5:30. I was amazed to see people already there and starting to line up around the building. One little lady behind me said she had not voted for a long time because it never seemed to matter. This time she knew she wanted to be part of history – we all agreed with her and when the first voter came by with her "I voted" sticker on, we all clapped. What a great day!

November 4, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  3. Bryan

I lucked out...there was a line out the door of my polling place. Just as I got in line, a woman came out and said that anyone with a last name beginning with S-Z could come to the front. Mine starts with a W, so I was in and out. It took me longer to park than it did to vote.

November 4, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  4. Martha Krafton

Today, I gratefully remember Susan B. Anthony and all of the suffragettes who not so long ago risked life and limb so that American women could vote and be counted. Let's look forward, and still acknowledge those who sacrifice for our liberties.

November 4, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  5. Laura

I voted in PA this morning and waited about 90 minutes, partly because of a slow worker, but mostly because of the large turnout. Despite this, everyone was very calm and waited patiently.

November 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  6. sharon

i went next door to my polling place at 6:50, the polls opened at 7. the line was about 80 deep. it took me 1.5 hours to place my vote and i was number 89. such antiquated systems in Adams Co PA. the people i waited with were mother and daughter, young and old, working and retired. the mood was upbeat and hopeful. although the outcome from my precinct is usually opposite my political leanings, i was very pleased to see such a large turnout. just looking at all the different makes and models of vehicles in the parking lot reminded me of the subtle differences and diversity that makes my neighborhood and our country so great.

November 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  7. Bob Maher

The lines I see on CNN disturb me. I just voted in Torrance, CA. It took me 10 minutes. There was no line at all. Why is it so difficult in some places to vote and so easy in others? It's no wonder America has such a low percentage of voters. Our system seems to discourage participation. And this Tuesday thing - just how many farmers rode their horses to vote today? We should devote a whole weekend to voting so everyone can be a part of it.

November 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  8. Richard Slater

It's 4:30 AM and my alarm is shouting at me to wake and get ready to go change the world. After a few swipes at the snooze bar I wake up at 9:30, not only late to vote but late to work. I'm still going to change the world! After a quick shower and an even quicker drive to my polling place, I find parking right away and assume that all of my fellow world changers have walked. I work by the cute kids, denizens of the school where I will vote (and their cupcakes. If I'd walked I'd buy some), and flow seamlessly into the school. I see the lines ahead and prepare myself for the 3 hour wait. My fellow voters are being herded to four lines bearing the breakdown of their initials when I realize that my line is...EMPTY! I'm checked off of the register, given my super secret voting code number and vote! In and out in less than 10 minutes!

Was it truly that easy to change AND save the world? I didn't even have to save the Cheerleader!

November 4, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  9. Jenn/Monrovia, CA

Well at least Eli wasn't mobbed by gawking fan on top of having to stand in long lines to vote, LOL Good idea, leave a man to his coffee first thing int he morning...

I voted in my precinct in Monrovia, CA, at the historic Aztec Hotel. The line was long, and we had to stand in a drizzle first thing this morning, (it's sunny now, typical LA), but everyone's spirits were high, and no one was grumpy. There was some initial confusion over who voted in what section of the room, (it was divided by area you lived in the precinct), but after that I did my paper-and-ink ballot, I passed it to the nice lady at the scanner, and got my sticker. All in all it took a bit over an hour to get through.

November 4, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  10. Lily in Minnesota

Greetings to Kent in IL! Minnesota is still a state of stubborn Scandanavians, so we all vote so we can argue about it later! Plus, we seem to have polling places every few blocks, so it is not the same hassle as other parts of the country. There were more people working at my spot than voters when I went today. But we intend to keep our place as #1 in turnout! Kudos to all who vote today, and I too note the increased younger generation's interest – it's great!

November 4, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  11. Jackie in Dallas

I voted early in Texas, the first time I've done so. A week ago at lunch, I went to a county polling place less than 2 miles from my office, walked in, handed over my voter registration card, got it and my paper ballot back, went to a booth and voted, slipped by ballot into the OCR reader and walked out. Max time: 15 minutes.

Next week is Veteran's Day, November 11th. Take a moment to thank those veterans or families of veterans for the right you had to vote at all! It was bought with their blood, sweat and tears!

If Palin truly campaigned inside the polling area, she was in violation of federal law. This does not surprise me.

November 4, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  12. lampe

R.DeLeon: You can make all the comments you want about Gov. Palin's lack of experience. But, I hope in 4 or 8 years, you are not one of the one's kicking yourself in the A$$, for picking a President, that has no experience. Good-Luck Americans bend over and kiss your A$$ good-bye.

November 4, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  13. Lily, MN

Kent -

We live in a great state - the old 'Minnesota Nice' - although not many of us use our old daily term of 'you betcha' anymore. 😉

I am a disabled American, and MN most certainly DOES offer the choice of early voting. Although I was eligible to vote early, I instead chose the thrill of voting with two of my college-aged children just after 7 a.m. this morning.

A SPECIAL NOTE TO AFE -

His note touched upon our experience this morning. Something certainly unique and 'special' was in the air this morning.

We live in a smaller suburb of Minneapolis. Our two precincts were kiddy-corner on the same intersection – one at the fire department offices and the other at the municipal city hall. The parking lots were loaded - and very small–and we had to go across the street to vote, as we went to the wrong polling place to start.

But, it was almost magical - everyone was polite - drivers waited their turn to move around in the small lot...with a wave and a smile! People were ready to give up their seats for me; and even though the lines went out the doors, the workers worked the lines, sending people to the right place and getting registration started for those who needed that service.

The Good Will continued. After we voted, we couldn't help our large smiles after finally having our say....and so did everyone else! Word quickly spread that the nearbly Starbucks was offering free coffee for voters, and we met many of the same people at Starbucks, and again, even though once more we waited in a line that went out the door, we joked, laughed, talked, and the drivers again were all polite, even though many were late for work.

I suspect this scenario is being repeated all over America today, November 4, 2008.

I told my kids - this is like Christmas! But to have that feeling of well-being carry over into the shared experience of doing our civic duty with gratitude.....for the first time in eight years, my heart is filled with hope for the future of our great country.

November 4, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  14. Bob - NYC

NYC board of elections need to get their act together. I went to vote at my polling location in district 81 on Chambers St as I have for the last 4 years. Line moved relatively quickly – 35 minutes. When I reached table, my name was not listed in their books. This is now the 4th year in a row where I have not been listed in their books! I have lived in same place for 5 years, and each year after filling out paper voting material, I call board of elections and try to remedy the problem. Each year I am told, next time it would not happen again. 4 years in a row... This is very embarrassing for a city agency.

November 4, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  15. A. Nagi

As an Arab American woman, for the first time in my life, I felt accepted and welcomed. Today, as I stood in line to cast my vote for honest and meaningful change(Obama) an overwheleming feeling of hope and justice came over me. And for that I thank Barak Obama for all his passion and belief in us all!

November 4, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  16. Brenda

I was fortunate we have early voting, and the lines were still horrible. I was able to get to be 12th in line on a SUNDAY voting day, and waiting only took 45 minutes for the doors to open, by then the line was clear around the building. I was out in 15 minutes, and all of our machines were computerized. I have never seen so many people voting in all the years I have voted. There was a diverse group voting, young, old, every nationality. Great turn out I think, and we should all turn out every election. We can make a difference.

November 4, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  17. Sharon, LA, CA

I voted at 10:00 this morning. Arrived expecting and prepared for a line but found only 1 person ahead of me. I was concerned about lack of turnout but was told the crowd was there earlier as I expect (hope) it will be later.

November 4, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  18. deborah

with a country with so many great minds and the leader in technology, there should not be a glitch or a single problem of any sort with voting. c'mon america take a lesson from your sister nation canada!!

November 4, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  19. Baz

I voted in Fort Greene, Brooklyn NY this morning. I got there at about 7:45 a.m. and voted by 8:50 a.m. It was the busiest I've ever seen it, but the wait was not bad at all. As my neighbor said, it is crazy to see it so busy, but also so very beautiful!

November 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  20. jamie, norman oklahoma

My son and I went together to vote this a.m.–as we did four years earlier in a different town and state. There was an elderly woman who was bent, and moved very slowly with the aid of a cane and her son at her elbow to guide her. She was dressed in a cotton plaid dress that was red, white, and blue. My son and I watched them, another mother and son who were determined to exercise their right to vote– in spite of ailing health, long lines, and a brisk morning air. It brought tears to my eyes. This election has renewed a sense of citizen pride that has been sadly missing for a long time. Hopefully, it will carry us through the next years as our new president deals with the enormous problems facing him.

November 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  21. Larry

What happens if there are no republicans in congress and obama is president?

November 4, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  22. Greg, Charlotte, NC

I liked the story about the 50-year old that voted for the first time. It made me smile. We truely have a great system in the US. Think about how we have such a smooth, legal transition of power from one president and or party to another. If my candidate does not win, I will be somewhat disappointed but I will not hate. I will not stew. I will be happy that the majority rules. That is democracy at its best.

November 4, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  23. Cristi, CA

Oh, I have a "great" 'voting' story as well. I filled out my ballot last week and sent it by mail. My friends can't get enough from that story!

November 4, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  24. sandy, st. paul suburb

My husband and I walked 50 yards to our neighborhood elementary school here in MN. We arrived at 6:30 am. I was the 22nd voter, back home by 7:17 am.
    The most upbeat crowd I've ever seen at the polls!!
    Daughter, first year at a mn college, called to say she too, has voted: her first time!
    Exciting times!!!

November 4, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  25. Kevin - TX

I went to vote this morning and saw something very suspicious. Let me begin by saying that I am a new resident to Texas and registered to vote on the last day I could – by mail. I received my voter card a week or so ago and went to vote today. I had no issues. However, an African-American lady next to me registered before I did, and had a voter card, but was not on the logbook. She was ushered over to an area where people who were having issues signing in were going over their problems with officials. There were 12 people in line, and 9 were African-American. I immediately thought something was wrong here, as about 70% of those voting were Caucasian. Being an Obama supporter, and not very trusting of Texas yet, I immediately thought that county officials may be up to some kind of fraud, and were trying to keep African-Americans from voting – thus seemingly weakening Obama's chances in Texas. However, when I arrived at work, my conservative co-workers thought to blame ACORN, fraudulently registering people to vote. It is amazing how this election can skew one's own view on what could have been a simple mistake, such as attending the wrong precinct.

November 4, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  26. Candace

My husband and I stood in line in Charleston, South Carolina for three and half hours waiting to vote for Mr. Obama. I have never seen a turn out like that in my district. I have only been able to vote since Clinton's first term so I don't have many years to compare it to but the turnout was really inspiring.

November 4, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  27. Carrie, Detroit

I'm one of the lucky few who vote in a precinct with only 1100 others. I had no wait – in and out in 10 minutes (and that's just me taking my time to bubble in things perfectly).

One thing I noticed is that there were many more cars that were fully decked out with signs and bumper stickers – primarily for Obama.

November 4, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  28. Mindy

As soon as I turned 18 I registered to vote. I couldn't wait to cast my first ballot... oh so many years ago. Since then I have never missed a Presidential election.

As excited as I was to cast my ballot when I was 18, the anticipation of voting in this election is hard to articulate. Most of my family did early voting, but I've always gone to the polls... it just seems more official that way.

When I got to my polling station, there were two people ahead of me, we must have been right behind the morning rush. Once I received my ballot I walked into the voting booth and took out my sample ballot. Ten minutes later I was feeding my ballot into the optical scanner and getting my "I Voted Today" sticker.

We as a Nation are so blessed. Not all that long ago neither African-Americans or women even had the RIGHT to vote. And now, we are either going to have the first African-American President, or the first female Vice-President. Either way... change is on the way.

You know, I don't normally wear that sticker. But today... I'm wearing it with pride.

November 4, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  29. Sharon

I voted this morning before work in Ames, IA. The wait at my polling place was about 55 minutes at that time, of course the line was a bit shorter when I left. There were 2 changes for me this year – it was a new polling place since we moved across town 2 years ago and I usually vote after work. I don't think I've stood in line that long to vote before but it was a great time to chat with other people – some you knew & some you didn't. I left with a smile on my face.

November 4, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  30. Tia

I seen African American first in line at my polls, which is a predominatley white city. It was wonderful, uplifting, and refreshing.

November 4, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  31. rotto rutter ralph

I saw 2 slots. One marked Local Mail I put my Oregon mail out ballot in. The other was marked Out of Town Mail. There was no line. No pressure to change my vote with intimidation or lies or pressure of any kind. Of course If I wanted I could have went to local polls and voted. I see a future where every state could come to the conclusion that these 2 picks are right for every election.

November 4, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  32. Susan Morris

I felt like I was in the movie "Swingvote" with Kevin Costner. I voted in St. Louis Mo this morning after waiting for about 45min-1 hour in line. It wasn't a bad wait. I entered the gym and there were at least 12 hand ballot machines and 5 electronic machines. I preferred the electronic version so waited my turn. It appeared that the woman before me did not officially push " VOTE" on her screen so her vote did not go through. She was already gone and the poll "person " ( the one is supposed to help) said "I knew she was having difficulty....I should have asked her is she needed help". It is a shame, this woman left thinking her vote counted when in actuality it was deleted so the screen could be cleared for me. I wonder how many other people this will happen to?

November 4, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  33. angie

I went to vote this morning as I usually do and I knew that there would a line. I did not expect the number of people that where already there. The polls in Virginia open at 6:00 am and people started arriving at 5:30 am. It took me 40 minutes to vote when it usual takes about 5 minutes. I am excited for the all the young people that are involved. I think it is great!

November 4, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  34. Melissa, Los Angeles

@ Kent only the city of Norwalk was open for early voting in L.A. County. The lines were atrocious so the plan for future elections is to vote absentee and then drop off the ballot at my polling place since I don't like the idea of mailing it in.

November 4, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  35. Teresa Castanon Fry

My husband and I are in Colorado and are supporting Mr. Obama. We have two college kids, one in New Mexico and one in Texas and they both are supporting Mr. Obama and stood in line to vote for Mr. Obama. Their younger sister, a high school sophomore has been drawn into this election by an avid understanding of this economy and Mr. Obama's clarity, judgement and charisma. I am very proud of my family and hope to be very proud of this county when this election is over and we have elected Barack Obama as our next president!

November 4, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  36. afe olugbenga

`A CHILD IS BORN

A child is due to be born today, Nov 4,2008
    A child that serves as a purpose of indivisibility
    among Human kind.
    A Child that makes a nation great and proud..
    A Child that makes a nation to be the
    world leader irrespective of your color and race
    A Child that the world has been waiting for so long.
    A Child that makes impossibility become possible.
    I am talking about Obama,A new world leader.
    USA, USA, USA,
    :”In God we Trust”
    Afe Olugbenga,Toronto,Canada

November 4, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  37. dana miller

i was at the polling station on 89th btwn columbus and amsterdam ~ 7:45am and was done in just under and hour. never had to wait in a line to vote in my life and was never so happy to wait in a line ever! people were friendly, the school bake sale was doing a swift business, there was someone from the school (pta, i think) selling coffee and cider for $1 outside, the polling volunteers were helpful and cheery - great experience all around and the turn out WAS inspiring!

November 4, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  38. G. Vance

I am a Canadian who has watched this election with interest. I simply can't get over the fact that the US government can't find a way to fix the problems people are having casting their vote - this should not be happening in a first world country. Canada has none of the problems with fraud, voting machine rigging etc.

Also, I was stunned to see Sarah Palin campaigning within a polling station this morning, In Canada there can be no campaigning on election day.

I think I now get a much better idea of why so many Amercians feel no need to vote. That is a great pitty.

Let's hope the person declared President tonight actually won the election.

November 4, 2008 at 12:56 pm |
  39. Fanne Fernow

I have been a poll worker in Santa Cruz County, California. This morning, it was my job to "organize" the line of people who came to the polls before they opened at 7 a.m. There is normally a large voter turn out in my county. For the last presidential election it was 80% turnout. I do not know what it will be this time. The county is largely Democratic, and there has never been any question that Obama would carry the county. (Though Obama has been very organized here with GOTV activity and phone banking to other states.)

People were thrilled to be voting this year. I heard over and over again about how excited people were to vote. While the county is largely white and Latinos are the main minority, I did see a number of Black voters come out in the four hours that I was there. Also, there was a couple taking pictures of their kids holding their ballots because they wanted to record the "day we began to change the world." There were also many comments about how good it felt to be an American and what a great country we live in.

Also, friends and family from all over the USA have called to say how excited they were to vote. And also express concern over the vote on prop 8 (repealing the right to marry for Gays and Lesbians). At this point I am more concerned about Prop 8 and I hope you will have some coverage on this tonight.

These are very exciting times. It is really a great honor and privilege to be a citizen of the United States.

November 4, 2008 at 12:55 pm |
  40. GF, Los Angeles

I had a 45 minute wait this morning with approximately 50 voters ahead of me and the maximum I've ever waited was 5 minutes at most in previous elections. Many were unprepared with not having a sample ballot filled out which is why the line took so long since those people were literally reading and deciding their choices in the booth.

November 4, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  41. R. De Leon

Mccain denied that Palin was a poor choice or a negaive drag on his campaign. Just as everyone in America is waiting for the voting results, I would also like to see what the results are for Wasilla and Alaska. Will Palin be impacted after displaying her broad knowledge and experience as she was portrayed in SNL skits. Hey John, sometimes when you are taking a long trip, it's time to admit to your wife you made a wrong turn.

November 4, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  42. folu

The Magnitude of this election – Election Result Anticipation from Nigeria

Just to give everyone some propesctive on the magnitude of this election and its world significance, I Live in Ann Arbor, and I just got a call from my Mother who lives in Nigeria, and she said that everyone at work and home is on pins and needles waiting for the results of todays elections. Cities, Towns and Villages have parties and prayer meetings scheduled in anticipation of the election result. So please understand that the decision we make today will impact the lives of people thousands of iles away....thats the magnitude of this election.

November 4, 2008 at 12:01 pm |
  43. Lisa Brown

My whole process from the time that I exited my car to the time that I re-entered it took less than 15 minutes. I live in Anne Arundel County, Maryland and they had a ton of polling stations set up. I was very impressed with the whole process and there was plenty of help available.

November 4, 2008 at 11:56 am |
  44. Debra M.

I voted October 25th, Saturday in Broward County Florida. I waited 1 hour 45 minutes. I passed one poll on the way to work this am. It didn't look too bad. Listen.... get a cup of coffee, say hello to your neighbor in line next to you and make the best of it. It's way too important to get frustrated and decide not to vote.

November 4, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  45. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

If you live in a state that had early voting..............why didn't you vote early and avoid the hassles? If you live in say MN........I feel bad for you. Most of MN 78%, voted in 2004. That's the highest in the nation. And, they don't have early voting.........what's up MN?

November 4, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  46. Tita

In Oregon, we used to vote at the local elementary school, now we vote by mail, I miss going to the school, saying hello to the ladies that helped out and meeting my neighbors. It FELT patriotic. It was an emotional experience. Now, my husband and I sit at our kitchen table and fill our our ballots and then one of us takes them to the drop off box and that's that.
    We always vote early so all campaign ads are lost on us for several weeks before the election. We recycle every paper campaign junk mail immediately.
    So, I miss the old days. But you know what happens here on election day? If you drive by the drop off box, there are long lines of CARS waiting to hand their ballots over to helpers and you get to interact and the feeling, the emotion of such a proud moment is everywhere, even if we're all in a car. CNN needs to do a piece on the Mail in Ballot folks.
    THERE WILL BE LONG LINES OF CARS waiting to drop their votes off.
    It's a great site.
    Voting by mail in Oregon,
    Kind Regards,
    Tita

November 4, 2008 at 11:50 am |
  47. theresa diao

When dissecting this election, I hope you give a lot of press coverage to the efforts of young people in this election. Many predicted that this age group would "flake-out" and not turn out to vote. But, just look at the lines at schools like Penn State, University of Wisconsin, and other colleges across the country. As a mother of two college age daughters, I am so proud of this generation! I think this country is on the verge of a great renaissance.
    Theresa Diao

November 4, 2008 at 11:40 am |
  48. Hari

Palin votes for Obama.

She was asked today morning by CNN who she voted for and her response was quite interesting.

She did not say she voted for McCain, and ofcourse she could not have told to the reporters otherwise, which turns out to be the fact

November 4, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  49. Julie San Diego, CA

If I was an enterprising kid, I would have skipped school today to plant my lemonade stand right outside the polls. I'd have hired my friends as franchisees; they could set their stands up at other polls (this is where you have to make up some story about a 24 hour flu for the teachers). I'd skim a percentage off the top of the other kid's profits for letting them use my idea.

It's worth a few weeks in detention.

Ah, to be a kid again, and know the things I know now...

November 4, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  50. Larry

Hopefully you don't see dead people:)

November 4, 2008 at 11:13 am |