November 4th, 2008

We lived to see the day

Bill Shneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

I grew up in the segregated South.
Like millions of Americans, I never thought I'd live to see the day.
We have lived to see the day.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Barack Obama • Raw Politics • William Schneider
  1. Karen, Palm Beach County FL

Indeed we have. And I have never been so proud to be a Chicagoan, a Floridian, and above all AN AMERICAN!!

November 5, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  2. Michael Pierce

My wife and I sat, holding hands with tears streaming down our cheeks, as the realization of what has happened today sunk in. We are a great nation, filled with people who care. I'm so very proud to be an American.

November 5, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  3. Wes

I have 6 simple words: God bless the people of Iowa.

November 5, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  4. Charles

We lived to see Lewis Hamilton win the Grand Prix
    We lived to see Usain Bolt Shatter 200 and 100meter records
    We lived to see Barack Obama go shatter that amazing glass ceiling for the African Americans hopes and dreams

let us never forget that Americans of all color and race were the wind beneath his wings. You made this happen, this was your call.

Congratulations USA this is your moment this is your glory stand with your presidente

November 5, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  5. alex k. gonzales

I supported Hillary Clinton but I share the pride of every african American in this nation.

November 4, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Cindy

Yeah...we live to see the day of this nation making the biggest mistake ever. You think it's bad now...we are about to enter another Jimmy Carter era! And as usual the republicans will have to come back in and clean up the democratic mess.

Cindy...Ga.

November 4, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  7. Patricia Welty

This is a wonderful and hopeful day for everyone. There are many of us who are white and were children of the fifties, sixties and seventies, that have been Barack Obama supporters 100%, We also have tears in our eyes, hope in our souls and pride for having the opportunity to vote for a new face of the United States of America. We are proud to have been able to contribute our millions of votes also.

November 4, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  8. Andrew

Where is Donna Brazile? I want to hear what she has to say.

November 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  9. Tracey - Boston

I grew up in an interracial family and my adoptive (African-American) father passed away 18 years ago and I know he would be very proud today as I am.

November 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  10. Deborah

I would just like to say that as a white Australian I am so overjoyed to see Obama win, and the reason being is for the man he is and what he stands for. For to long now American the head of the world has been racist and greedy and only care about themselves, now i feel like the world will begin to unite again and that America will have its pride returned and its dignity. For too long now we have had to live under the greed and the anguish of the Bush way of life, (even as Australians here) . Too long men and women of all races have been so split now a peace can return renewed.

November 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  11. JoeDuck

Even more than a victory for President Elect Obama this is a victory for the great American experiment. Congratulations ... to us all.

November 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  12. Betty, Virginia

If only his mother and grandmother could have been here in this great moment to see the boy they raised become a man that not only won the trust of more than half the country but also earned the respect of people throughtout the world. I am grateful to have been a part of helping to make this happen. Congratulations to President Elect Obama. I look forward to the new first family and the impact they will make on America and the world.

November 4, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  13. Samira

This is a great day for american.. what a wonderful first family... i am so proud.. so sad his grandmother was not there to see him...

November 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

I want a huge picture of the new first family in my living room.

November 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  15. David, New York, NY

As a New York City resident but a native Floridian. I must say how proud I am to see who is my new commander in chief!

As a white (admittedly liberal) male who is two generations from a grandmother on the other side of one of the first civil rights march in Americus, Georgia; I am pleased to see our country is interested in alternative points of view.

I am so tired of old white men screwing up our country and am pleased that we are giving the opportunity to others to either rise above the status quo and/or to do the same.

I am excited to see the voters who have long been statistically absent from the voting process rise to represent their dreams, values, and determination to understand how they are a part of this wonderful, intrinsically American process. Be they African American, young, Hispanic, Female, or simply disappointed with the regime it is clear that the motivations are there and EVERYONE knows they have a place at the table.

Barack now has the biggest hurdles ahead. As any leader would, he now has to show us he is truly the leader he claims to be. He appears to already have the commitment of a nation and possibly the globe.

Good luck and God bless Barack! I support you!

November 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  16. Christine Khammash

Martin Luther King had a dream, and today it came true! Yeah for America.

November 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  17. GR

What a sad, dark day for America. We deserve what we are going to get. This says more about us as a people, than it does about Obama or his credentials. He has been elected because he is black; not because he is qualified.

November 4, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  18. Vickie MO.

I'm proud to be, an "American"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  19. Suzanne Gall

I have never in my life felt proud of being born on American soil. I am a Canadian, with some American roots.

Tonight, I AM PROUD AND HOPEFUL!!

One of the most powerful nations in the recorded history of mankind changed!

Tonight they spoke, loudly and clearly; We no longer need to divide ourselves by race.

My Hope: One World! One Race!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  20. Rhonda Knol

uncanny statistic:
    1st black Heisman Trophy winner was number 44, Ernie Davis. 1st black President of the United States #44, Barack Obama!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  21. Sue Wrigley-LeQuyer

The saying is fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. That is how I saw the 2004 re-election of George Bush Jr. I am a Canadian and I am very proud of the American people tonight. It has taken you guys a very long time to get your act together by decideing to elect a clearly intelligent man who has some very clear ideas on how to help EVERYONE in your country. I am just extremely glad that Rosa Parks decided to sit at the front of the bus so that I could see this incredible day come to fruition. Congratulations!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  22. Wende

I was watching the election and was very happy at the results, however I noticed that Sen. Joe Biden is now the Vice President but he also won the Delaware Senate seat how does this work? How is he going to do both jobs? Please shed a little lite on this.

November 4, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  23. Matt (Kansas)

Finally. America is ready. We are in the midst of new times. I too am proud to be an American.

November 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  24. Muhammad Anwer

America 8 years ago u put a black spot on your face by electing Bush that keep increasing over time and your standing in the world went to the bottom. Tonight you washed that spot away and your standing in the world has shoot to the top.
    Congratulations America and wonderful American people.
    America your are a land of opportunity.

November 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  25. ACO

I LIVE IN USA FOR 8YRS US CITIZEN FOR 3 YEARS.NEWER TILL NOW I FEELT LIKE AMERICAN OR CARE OF THIS COUNTRY BUT FROM TODAY IAM PROUD AMERICAN

LONG LIFE TO OUR NEW PRESIDENT

November 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  26. Andy

Being a college student and growing up where segregation was not an issue, I understand the magnitude of Obama's win but I think I speak for others of my generation- We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union-

The people spoke for a man not for the color of a man but rather his ability to make a more perfect union.

This was the moment – this was the time – when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.-Obama-

November 4, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  27. Samira

the republican strategist in the white has nothing to add.. she is just a real time waster... likes to hear her own voice more than contribute anything much!! please get rid of her..

November 4, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  28. sara the canadian

Like most people i'm a little bit speechless. This is huge, not only for americans but for north americans. We may be more 'liberal' in Canada, however we've never had a black, first nations, hispanic or asian prime minister. This, however, is not about race as much as it's about electing an intelligent, thoughtful, informed man who has already changed the way america is viewed throughout the world. In the last 6 years or so America has been viewed badly by other countries, this changes everything...it's true..how could a country vote for Bush 4 years ago and change to Obama now?? that alone says to everyone that america is ready for a change, real change. I'm proud to be Americas neighbour!! Good luck and best wishes to the new country...

November 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  29. michael sletten

I think this election of 2008' will go down as the Great Year americans and the their Constitution took a giant leap forward and the hope of humanity in the world a step up...

November 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  30. Asma J K

I am so happy.....I had doubts some how he'll be stood against to get there.....but he did........and I am so happy,I pray he stands up to all he said he'll do for this country, and set all RIGHT, even though it seems to be very hard

November 4, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  31. Justin

This is truly a great day for America. God bless America and our 44th President!

November 4, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  32. pamela moreno

All I can say is God Bless the United States of America. This election has given hope to us all. I can look into the eyes of my children and say to them that they too with hard work and perseverance can one day be president.

November 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  33. Cory, Iowa

When my grandchildren ask about the past I can say with pride that I was a part of history. This is my J.F.K! We have taken our one giant step for mankind. I can say where I was when the space shuttles were destroyed and what I was doing on 9/11 and now what I was doing when President Obama was elected.

November 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  34. Brian

Too many people have no idea who they just voted for. I guess they feel it was “cool” to vote against Republicans. Too late now. I’ll check in with you all in 3 years when the run-up for 2012 is in full swing and America is looking to get Obama out of office.

To vote him into office because he is black, is not the right reason.

And…prepare for the “international test” as predicted by Biden for this summer.

November 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  35. Wahidi

I wonder who and when did someone when the highest electoral vote and how many votes was it?

November 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  36. Mike

We are all humans.

November 4, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  37. Nazlee

I can't believe this day has finally come. This is truly a positive step for our country. Barack Obama will be a great president and will bring the positive change this country needs. He led such a successful campaign; imagine what he can do for this country,

November 4, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  38. Alan

Listening to McCain's concession speech from AZ demonstrates what is wrong with the Republican Party and why the American public decided that it was time for a CHANGE! McCain mentions that he spoke with and congratulated President Elect Obama and the crowd breaks out in a chorus of "BOOs". I can appreciate that many of the people at the Arizona Biltmore are diappointed that their candidate did not win, but this is EXTREMELY DISGRACEFUL. I find it hard to believe that the gathering in Grant Park would have behaved so shamefully had the results been different.

November 4, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  39. Don Rittner

Congratulations America.

We have finally moved from adolescence to adulthood.

November 4, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  40. Liana from PA

Just as the Phillies won, the reality of President Obama has ignited the city like none other. Philadelphia has done well. And students are celebrating Obama's success by marching through University City – marching band, drummers and all.

November 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  41. Tamara Ward

As a Canadian neighbour I don't think I could be more delighted if I was American. It's a wonderful night to be a member of the human race.

November 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  42. David Learmonth

Anderson, I am Scottish but currently living in the country I love and admire I would like to say that the decision tonight will change the perception of the USA in the eyes of the world, it will portray this incredible country as it should be.

November 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  43. Maureen Mullen

I believe that history has also been made in that Sen, Biden is our first Catholic vice-president and only the second Catholic vice-president or president.

November 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  44. Tim H

It just proves that we need to move forward to a future that isn't based on lines like color, or ethnicity. I believe that we are ready as a country to embrace our new president and not view him by the color of his skin, but by the actions he will perform for the next 4 years as he leads this great country.

In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King "I have a dream....where all men are created equal."

November 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  45. Sandi

Please, I mean no disrespect, this question comes up often and I am curious. Why is it that Barack Obama is referred to as an African American? He had a white mother... isn't he just as much a White American as a Black Amercian. Yes, this is a historic moment on many levels....

November 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  46. Ima

I'm 16 years old and I seriously feel like the possibilities are endless especially as a not-that-white girl! whoohohoo. Amaaazing, never even I thought I'd live to see the day!

November 4, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  47. Vickster Knows

Kimberly, I agree!!! Yes we can and yes WE DID!!!
    Woo Hoo!

November 4, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  48. molly in MPLS

So proud of this country. So very proud.

But sadly, I think there was a definite chilly shoulder showed to Sarah Palin by Cindy McCain. Talk about ignoring the elephant in the room. Or maybe it was a pit bull wearing lipstick?

November 4, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  49. Kristen-University Park, PA

Its fantastic. I am truly amazed that not only am I a witness to this but actually participated. Despite where you may have stood before I don't know how anyone can ignore the historical significance of this night.

November 4, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  50. Kimberly, OH

I have never been prouder to call myself an American. This is a great day.

November 4, 2008 at 11:28 pm |