November 4th, 2008

Virtual politics

Richard Morris
Associate Producer, Campbell Brown: No Bias. No Bull.

The hologram is already on YouTube! Took less than an hour for someone to post a clip of our hologram of CNN correspondent Jessica Yellin being ‘beamed’ into our Election Center speaking with Wolf Blitzer. The technology behind this amazes me - there are roughly 44 high-definition cameras that take a real-time, three-dimensional image of a person live!

The night is rapidly developing. We have just called Pennsylvania, a big one for Obama’s basket. Virginia, Florida, and Ohio are still major players that can make or break this race.

Curious to game the night out? Check out cnn.com/map for a very entertaining and engaging feature to play along with our coverage.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes • Richard Morris
  1. Caroline M., from Richmond, VA

Hey, Richie. Just found your blog and wanted to say that when I tuned to CNN late last night and saw purple-fuzzy-lined will.i.am's hologram talking to Anderson Cooper, I thought I'd finally lost it. Two weeks of obsessive poll-checking had rendered me mentally unstable. But then I realized it was a fun new technology. 🙂 Nice work!

November 5, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  2. Matt (Kansas)

This was a very awesome feature. What better night than tonight for a premeir??

November 4, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  3. Heather,ca

Congratulations CNN for literally having The Best Political Team and couple on CNN! Your technology, amazing talent and tireless dedication to covering almost two years of a ground breaking presidential election has been incredibly educational and informative. Thanking you all for missing your families and your beds and sleep to serve us. I read on Mediabistro that there would be some surprises.I had no idea. You have taken cable television again to where no one has gone before. Like in the tradition of what Ted Turner had envisioned when he created CNN. Thank you all. CNN is the best in the universe!

November 4, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  4. ann

hi there

i never be so interested in eleciton as this and watching obma he seems just like the us know what we need and the wars to stop and having the first african amercian president is amazing i am from canada and i have been watching the depates espically joe the plumber this is defintely history making for all of us

November 4, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  5. Jeremy

Dude, that hologram interview is awesome! Can you really see the person in the studio, or is that a camera trick??

November 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Mike, NC

that is the coolest hologram of the capitol building EVER...pretty cool to see that while watching the results. John King is the man, second only to my guilty pleasure Anderson Cooper... :+)

November 4, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Mary, Dublin, Ireland

Oh and can I just say, my favourite line of the night (so far)

Anderson: "So when he gets to 270, what do we do?"

Blitzer: "We report that."

Good to know you guys all know what you're doing!

November 4, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Cindy from Idaho

I'm a Democrat – voted for O'Bama. I so hope the Democrats can bring change through bipartisan policies, instead of pushing through strictly Democratic policies. If we abuse our power in the house and in the office of president, the pendulum will swing the other way in four years. Not good for anyone. Let's work together .

November 4, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Mary, Dublin, Ireland

I personally loved the hologram, wonderfully over the top! Us all-nighters need all the entertainment you can give us, and from my channel hopping cnn is easily the best. I mean its 3:25am and I'm still hooked!

November 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Larry

Now put a map of the civil war states blue/gray as an overlay of this election.

November 4, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Shelley Dean

I am sitting here watching the results come in..and once again watching the rest of the United States elect the president. Our votes NEVER count, we don't change anything by voting..we are not "Ohio" (no president has ever been elected without winning Ohio)..Arizona, Nevada so many more of us truly are given the illusion of having our votes count, but they don't. .we get to cast our ballot, but it means nothing. I have seen many elections and the president is ALWAYS picked before they even start to count our votes. And it's not sour grapes because McCain didn't win..soon as he picked Palin for VP he lost my vote..not that it matters anyway, Calif. and the east coast selects our president and anyone who believes differeent should watch the footage from the older election

November 4, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  12. John aldrich

I want to know what would happen if on election night the person who won the election died as well as the vice pesident elect, how would we determine who is the president.?

November 4, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Just Mission

THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE FOR HUMANISM IN THE WORLD!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Annie Kate

The hologram of Jessica Yellin was cool. She looked like she was floating above the floor though .... and she didn't look solid – more like a ghost. It was cool

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 4, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Dave

The tracking shots are the impressive part of this technology. Getting the moves perfectly synched during moves is fantastic! Very cool!

November 4, 2008 at 9:57 pm |