November 4th, 2008

New York goes strangely quiet

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/04/art.ninthave.jpg caption="A deserted Ninth Avenue in Manhattan on election night."]
Albert Lewitinn
Senior Broadcast Producer

Manhattan's Ninth Avenue, normally packed with people and full of traffic, is absolutely quiet. Broadway's theaters just let out, but restaurants that are normally packed are empty and those bars with TVs (thankfully) have CNN on. As a native New Yorker, I've never seen anything like it. Could all of NYC be watching the results?

Filed under: 2008 Election • Albert Lewitinn
  1. Sharon Kitchen

Yes............a time in history.

November 5, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  2. Martina Ilstad Germany

When i watch pictures like that happy singing crieng poeple,it remembers me to pictures i saw in media that maked after the sec.woldwar.that time poeple are happy like yesterday.

November 5, 2008 at 7:43 am |
  3. Ifeanyi john

History indeed has been made,here in Nigeria we watched in anticipation of what the outcome of the election would be,though i know that America will never give in to Republicans.Up Obama!

November 5, 2008 at 5:10 am |
  4. mary a

lol. i was doing an arts afterschool program for elementary kids and before i went to work i had started my cnn vigil the day before and had not gone to sleep after i came home from my permanent job...and i literally ran home km's, blocks, didn't take the slow bus at all because i wanted to make it home for 6 o'clock so i could see wolf blitzer and the beloved cnn panel...and here i am still awake. i'm so thankful. the celebration was awesome. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE INAUGURATION!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 4:31 am |
  5. Charisse Van Horn

While watching the election results, and the announcement that Barack Obama had won, tears streamed down my face. I am bi racial (African American and Caucasian) and didn't realize how affected I would be. But when I saw the video of Harlem, I could hear Martin Luther King's famous words,

"I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers."

Watching those scenes from Harlem, I realized that Martin Luther King's dream had come true, even though McCain won Alabama, there was peace, celebration, and joy in Harlem, and the country will be forever changed and transformed, as the dream took 44 years to fully birth, but now it is reality.

Free at last, Free at last, Thank God, Almighty, America is free at last.

November 5, 2008 at 3:23 am |
  6. Mary Miller

Yes, they are getting their last hit.They are thinking what is going to be on CNN tomorrow!! Oh, and I wonder who is going to win...

November 5, 2008 at 3:18 am |
  7. Lori in Seattle

Thank God for Barack Obama and his parents for creating him!

November 5, 2008 at 1:46 am |
  8. Mr. Britt

Teresa Chicago- check out your grammer, your no better than Palin. "they may got pregnant again" haha, id say u made it to about the 5th grade, which is great for living in Chicago!!

November 5, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  9. Bob

Ok – I will say it.

The white people are hiding in their houses.

As a group, they didn't vote for this guy, especially white women.

No one wants to get caught in the middle of a riot.

The popular vote was still pretty closely split... no landslide there, no matter what the electoral vote turned out to be.

This is still going to be a divided country and the Senate is still not going to be 60 votes for the Dems (Thank God!)

The South and Midwest does not support your guy.

Little has changed.

November 5, 2008 at 1:23 am |
  10. lampe

Teresa: I'm sure you are very happy with Obama's win. but, now is the time to stop with all the negative crap, about Gov. Palin. You may not understand this, but The Obama's do have two daughters, and you never know, when one of them will have a problem,maybe one of them might end up pregneant one day. And as far as Sen. McCain goes, that is a man who has served his country well. You can only hope, that Obama, will do as well. People with remarks of hate, will only keep this country, from being as great as it could possibly be. Enjoy your win. I'm happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 1:13 am |
  11. Sandy, New York

America you really screwed up voting for this idiot!!! What the heck is the matter with you people????

November 5, 2008 at 12:47 am |
  12. Mike L

I voted for McCain, sad he lost, the only upside is the country will be even more messed up within the next four years maybe the Mad Maxx factor will finally set in and things will finally change.
    God I really hate this friggin country more and more each day.

November 5, 2008 at 12:43 am |
  13. CD

No everyone is staying in doors because where screwed now with a president that will sit down and talk with terrorists the same ones that killed so many in our own house and yet how quickly we turn our back on honoring them and standing for justice!

November 5, 2008 at 12:14 am |
  14. Ryan B-w

NEW YORK JUST BURST!!!!

It was SOOOO QUIET.

But at 11:01 I have never heard my neighborhood scream so loudly.

All at once there were horns and music, and people yelling OBAMA OBAMA!!

I Feel proud!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  15. Michael Conforti

AC –

This is history, and even us in NY who knew how our state would go, and proud to be a part of this, proud to witness it, and not only for the Obama-is-African-American factor, which is huge, but also because he is the best qualified for the job, is INSPIRATIONAL, and represents the true will of the people, something we have somehow been missing the last eight years.

November 4, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Dennis

Same thing in Philadelphia. Especially after the Phillies celebrations... it's eerie...Wish I was in Chicago.

November 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Diane - IL

Here in Chicago, the local news reported that the theaters were empty and how it would be a good night to find some cheap deals on shows. It seems anyone who is out and about is heading to Grant Park. With close to a million people expected I chose to just stay home and watch history unfold.

November 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Ryan B-w

I was on 8th avenue an hour ago– and it didn't look THAT empty– but I must say–it did seem strange how very very QUIET it was. Even the train ride uptown was quiet. Maybe people are exhausted from being in line so early to vote in this city of 8 million people. But there certainly is a lot of weird anxiety in the air. Hopefully it turns into a celebration tomorrow. This city has wasted away under BUSH– he has almost ruined the education system here and he has severely stunted the arts.
    We have waited 8 years to feel hopeful-To have a sense of diplomacy ushered into our communities. But the aggression and fear put into this town by our war mongering president has killed the fun of living in New York. Hopefully tomorrow New York can once again breathe.

November 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Kristen-University Park, PA

I think the whole country is watching the election results. We are seeing history being made tonight.

November 4, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Teresa Chicago

Sure Everybody are sick of Bush and this is historic election.Mc Cain has to go for retirement and Palin has lot of work to do at her own home in Alaska /her children can not be left alone because they may got pregnant again/ Obama is truly our next President!! And HOPE!!!

November 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Lilibeth

Yes, everyone's watching the election results! Coming home from work today, I ran into massive traffic; we're all trying to get home to tune in to the news. Everyone's been talking about this election today! I'm so happy to be part of this historic night!

November 4, 2008 at 10:17 pm |