November 4th, 2008

It's over

Richard Morris
Associate Producer, Campbell Brown: No Bias. No Bull.

It's over.

What an amazing journey. I am sure it will take some time to sink in, but tonight history was made. Absolutely amazing.

We have shots from around the world in our control room. Sydney, Kenya, Chicago, Harlem. This was a shot that rang around the world in an instant.

I have friends emailing me– detailing the cheering in the streets. In here though, it is almost silence. It is hard to believe that after months of stump speeches, the race has come to an end.

Stay tuned. There are many, many more hours of live broadcast ahead.

1. Joe

O- Ordered
    B- By
    A- Americans
    M- Most
    A- Affectionately

November 5, 2008 at 12:16 am |
  2. Steve Baummann

While I congratulate Barack Obama on his election as President of the United States, I have grown sick and tired of hearing about how historic this election has been. Many people think that we have made history because we have finally found in our hearts the ability to elect an African American to the highest office in the land. If you listen to most of the pundits, you would think that it has taken us, as Americans, until 2008 to be able to elect a black president.

As a staunch republican, I would have voted for Colin Powell over George W. Bush eight years ago. I also believe that many Afro Americans and hard core republicans would have voted with me.

I am very disappointed that I have not heard any of the political analysts talk about this in the mainstream media over the last several weeks and months. If you want to blame anyone for the fact that it has taken us this long to elect a black person to America's highest office, you should blame Colin Powel. If he had had the desire to take the next step, he could have easily moved from being a military man to being the first black president of the United States of America back in 2000.

Steve Baumann

Longwood, Fl.

November 5, 2008 at 12:12 am |
  3. Jay

Our goal as Americans is to make sure he is not re-elected so he only has 4 years to screw up the country. We need to start planning now for 2012 to make sure he, or any democrat, is defeated.

November 5, 2008 at 12:12 am |
  4. Jay

This is the saddest day in American History except for Pearl Harbor. Obama is going to take this country down the road to mediocrity, or worse, so fast it will make your head spin. I am actually sick to my stomach that a man with no experience or substance was able to make you believe he will solve all of your problems. He is a socialist through and through and he will destroy what made this country great.

November 5, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  5. Jim, Ca.

THANK GOD! Now CNN Can we PLEASE get back to the ISSUES that this Nation is facing???????

November 5, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  6. Lissa

Actually – it just begins. GREAT coverage throughout. Every one of you has brought this election to my front door, and I will miss all of the daily election issues. But we'll have more to talk about, of that I'm sure!

November 5, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  7. alandin

Not my president... not now, not ever... and the sooner he is gone the happier I will be. he stands for nothing, he represents nothing, and in his political "carrier" he has done nothing, but people who think he is going to make some kind of change (and he will do nothing while he is here except maybe paint the wall in the white house purple or puke) think he is going to cure all their problems... the truth that no one is saying is that it is only going to get worse. There is not one nation on the face of the planet that is controlled by a black man that is worth a dame, and that is a fact... find one...

I am not even white, but it just infuriates me how all these people and I do mean blacks, say they want change and betterment of our nation and they sit on the net cussing profanities at McCain. bigots... All of them.

this should be intresting now...

November 5, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  8. Carl,Portland,OR

As an Obama supporter all I can say is Congratulations to Barack Obama, and to McCain you have already served this Country well and America thanks you and I am sure you will work with President Obama to make this Country an even greater Country.

November 5, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  9. Al

Please remind the commentators that this election is about aall the people and this country. They focus on race too much and it doesn't give credit to our white brothers and sisters who voted for President Elect Obama, many at great risk to themselves and their lives as they know it!
    AL

November 5, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  10. shalini

Wow! Proud to be an American! History is made today!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  11. rahab

I went to class today and i could not concentrate. I wanted to see the news every minute of it. Obama has changed our live and the perspective of so many things.Hope and change.

November 4, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  12. p santo

"WAY TO GO!BAMA"...................... : )

November 4, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  13. Cindy

I'll say congrats to Obama but in the same breathe...you reap what you sow! Our country is about to go to hell in a hand basket! He isn't experienced enough to be president yet the media helped him get elected. The U.S. is screwed!

Cindy...Ga.

November 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  14. Matt (Kansas)

Congratulations to Democrats. Thank you to everyone who helped aide in this historic win!

November 4, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  15. Ruth

Well done, Mr President-elect, Obama!
    Congrats, America! But this is not just for yourselves alone. No way.This is for a world that says and implies in all things political, that a black person is not quite good enough to be on top, in the CEO position; a world that looks the other way when crises in Congo (and places like that happen) only to jump up and down to rescue of white countries in trouble (remember Georgia, anyone?). This is a victory for the black man everywhere, not just in the United States of America. I may not be an American citizen, but I am as proud of this victory as if I were one, born and bred. I only hope that African nations see this and are inspired to imbibe the spirit of change in the air.

November 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  16. Carl Silva,Portland,OR

It is over and now it is time to get behind Obama and unite this most wonderful Country.

November 4, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  17. donny smith

omg this is the greatest day of my life. For I a child of the deseg. in Mich and say that the dream is alive and well,

November 4, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  18. JoeDuck

Congratulations to the President Elect Obama. Leaving the campaign of two years – the longest in the history of Democracies – and entering a new era of our American history.

Great coverage on CNN tonight – congratulations to you, too for unbiased and quality work.

November 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  19. Ruth

Congratulations, Mr President-elect, Obama!
    Congratulations, America! But this is not just for yourselves alone. No way.This is for a world that says and implies in all things political, that a black person is not quite good enough to be on top, in the CEO position; a world that looks the other way when crises in Congo (and places like that happen) only to jump up and down to rescue of white countries in trouble (remember Georgia, anyone?). This is a victory for the black man everywhere, not just in the United States of America. I may not be an American citizen, but I am as proud of this victory as if I were one, born and bred. I only hope that African nations see this and are inspired to imbibe the spirit of change in the air.

November 4, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  20. James Muehle

I've spent this day explaining to my 7 and 9 year old girls.... "Remember today...never forget this day!... you just don't understand what this means...after 200+ Years of us being a nation, a black man has been elected as the President of the United States... Leader of the Free world" What an amazing day in American history!!
    I will be 40 in the spring... i could never imagine this day 30 years ago... 20 years ago!! What a day! Go Barak!!!! We're with you Mr. President (elect)!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  21. rossie

can't somwone sing god bless america??

November 4, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  22. donny smith

I am speechless. this has given me a new hope.

November 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  23. Rocky

Good riddance to Palin and Joe the plumber.

Time to go to work. Lets make this place better.

November 4, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  24. James Baird

The time for change is now inevitable. Congratulations to the 44th President of the United States – President Barack Obama and my hats off to the People of the United States of America for choosing the right candidate to lead that change...I had almost lost faith in your country! What gets me is how Louisiana can still vote for a Republican candidate even after the way George Bush managed the worst natural disaster in American History...Shame on you! But I'm really happy!!!!!!!!!

"CAN YOU SMELL WHAT BARACK IS COOKIN!"

November 4, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  25. Maryann Bodeker

Today is a day where the youth in this country made a stand demanded change. We voted to bring hope and unity to this country. For those of us Generation X and younger, never living in the 1960's, it might as well have been 200 years ago because it has been so hard all our lives to try to understand older generations need for racism and division. Obama is a symbol of change and unity in his own body. Half black and half white, he represents all of us. I am so happy to see this day happen in my lifetime. So proud to tell my son that this country has elected Barack Obama. He is a transforming figure that will bring this country what it so desperately needs and I am so proud to be part of this country. Bring on 1-20-09!

November 4, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  26. robert m

I think already this historic event is being put in a box. It is truly historic that Obama, as a black American, will ascend to the White House. But what is truly noteworthy is that he did this running as an American, not a black American. While it will hold a very special place in the hearts of black Americans, this victory is as sweet to many black and non-blacks alike. Obama not only looks different than past Presidents, but he thinks and relates to Americans differently than any previous President. In this historical moment, the qualities and accomplishments of the individual should not be overshadowed by the qualities of his race. God bless him!

robert, chicago

November 4, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  27. Charles

Obama for Presidente! The only dramatic equivalent is not Lewis Hamilton GP win not its every second of Usain Bolt's 200 metre winin the 08 Olympics. Record Breaking Total wipe out. Obama like Bolt was unrestrained in his determination to win that race.

Congratualtion US voters this is your victory!

November 4, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  28. Mary, Dublin, Ireland

Congratulations America! Thank you for starting the ripple of change that will soon sweep across the world.

Listening to McCain now, how privilaged you should feel to have had two such wonderful candidates to choose between.

November 4, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  29. Tiffany in Warner Robins, GA

Thank you GOD! EVERYONE ALL OVER THE WORLD IS CELEBRATING! Take heed WHITE people that supported McCain . . . . USA is about DIVERSITY!!!!!! Obama represents DIVERSITY!!!!!!! To GOD we give the GLORY!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  30. Steve

Congratulations on our country moving towards a new country! There is certainly a great deal of healing and fixing that needs to be done, so hopefully the focus is on that.

What I am curious is to how the media constantly focuses on Obama being the first African-American to do this or that. He represents not just an African American, as he is of mixed descent. Why is that not discussed in the media as much as his African American identity?

November 4, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  31. Lee Ellison

When people talk about the turning point in the campaign, it should not only point to the downturn in the economy. While McCain was ahead in the polls at the time, there are several other key events that Obama handled better than McCain
    1) The debates occurred after the economy fallout and Obama won all 3, on both domestic and foreign policy issues, and the town hall.
    2) McCain's poor handling of the economic crises.
    3) America getting to know Sarah Palin and her growing disapproval rating, and doubt on her abilty to lead the country.
    4) Biden won the VP debate by 2:1.
    5) Consistent message throughout the campaign and Obama consistently clarified his position, despite the negative claims.
    5) McCain went more negative and this does not reflect change or working across the party lines.
    6) Obama gave a vision of hope and change.

November 4, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  32. Neema

Congratulations America! The world is delighted today to welcome you back in the world community. Congratulation President Obama! Well deserved victory. Greatest world role model. God bless YOU, We Love You Our new leader of the world!

November 4, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  33. Sonny

Congratulations to the Democratic Party. Now let's go to work in rebuilding America.

November 4, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  34. Terry

I am at a loss of words tonight. I am elated with the results of the Presidency. I am excited to be alive in this era to see that we are on a new and great journey. I believe Obama will lead us into a new era of hope. I am a Republican at heart but I know he will lead us to a new country of one instead of a country of many. This election lets me believe anything is possible in this country with hard work and diligence. GO OBAMA!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  35. Graham Edwards

It's time to start talking about President-elect Obama in terms other than as just the first black US President. He has inspired a new generation, and given many of us hope that things may change in the way that we do the business of governance. Look at the faces in the crowd in Grant Park in Chicago. It's not just African-Americans celebrating tonight. It's a significant achievement, but hopefully will not be the lasting legacy of his presidency.

November 4, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  36. tony

Today a word turned incarnate by the collective effort of all Americans. This act, perpetuates that word further, to all people of all colors, and gives birth to the certainty that only we can give names to our limitations.
    All you have to do is believe in that word, Hope.
    Yesterday, some hoped that they could be heard, but some could not; as such democracy died.
    Today, the silence of yesteryears unequipped with the power of change, seizes and roars a deafening scream of “yes we can” by the cast of our votes.
    In casting such votes of hope, we empower tomorrow’s generation with the knowledge that collectively they can manifest change.
    Today we have given birth to children’s participation in democracy.
    So, tomorrow, while the sun may rise the same way, and we may individually go about our own daily tasks; there will be an undeniable truth,
    Hope is real.

November 4, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  37. Ron

Why must Barack Obama's victory in the election be reduced to that of a racial accomplishment? Why can't Obama's victory be seen for what it should be? One of if not the greatest achievements that an american can dream of. Standing for what america believes in....the ability to decide when change is needed. Racism is not needed in this analysis because his accomplishments are mine and I hope mine one day will also be his and this does not matter that I am white and he is black, but only that we are two equal human beings, for that I can share in his joy.

November 4, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  38. Brian

Too many people have no idea who they just voted for. I guess they feel it was "cool" to vote against Republicans. Too late now. I'll check in with you all in 3 years when the run-up for 2012 is in full swign and America is looking to get Obama out of office.

And...prepare for the "international test" as predicted by Biden for this summer.

November 4, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  39. Kristen-University Park, PA

YES WE DID 🙂

Its amazing Barack Obama elected President of the United States of America.

YES WE DID 🙂

November 4, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  40. LYNN

I AM FINALLY HOPEFUL FOR OUR GREAT COUNTRY, WE SAW A NEGATIVE CAMPAIGN AND ACTED AND WE ADMIRED A MAN WHO CAN HELP US ALL AND BE AN INSPIRATION TO ALL AND THE INTIRE WORLD. THE WORLD WILL ADMIRE US AGAIN

November 4, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  41. Annie Kate

Its hard to believe its over. Change is a way of life and I'm hoping that the new president can effect positive change especially in health care insurance and education and the environment as well as all the other issues that confront us. 143 years after the end of the civil war we have our first African American president. I didn't think I would see it in my lifetime – I was wrong and I am glad I was wrong. Congrats to us all.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 4, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  42. emily

I can't believe it's over. This is crazy. YAY OBAMA!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  43. Ken Gross

America has reinvented itself with the election of Barack Obama

November 4, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  44. Pat Birts

I feel that all those young kids that was out helping Obama need to be very proud of themself because they can say they did it and Thanks to all of those who knocked on my door and others.

November 4, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  45. Sharon

I am so proud of our country!! The best man has won!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  46. Colleen McMurtry

Congratulations to Mr. Barack! Canada loves Mr. President-Elect Barack Obama! Thank you for having the courage to make a change! God bless you and your family! Our hearts fill with joy at your accomplishment and is filled with grief for the loss of your grandmother. You are in our prayers!

November 4, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  47. Anne

David, Candy, Roland, Anderson, Wolfe, Donna - to all of you, thanks for the best news coverage of these past 21 months.

November 4, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  48. Anne

Roland, thank you.

November 4, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  49. Mike, NC

Wow...people crying on CNN (Roland) and sharing stories of african american culture. the change has already begun.

November 4, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  50. Neil Rooney (Berlin)

Im so happy to see that America has made the right decision. Let this be the start of a greater future for the USA.

November 4, 2008 at 11:15 pm |