November 4th, 2008

Election night in Maya Angelou's living room

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/04/art.harlemvoters.jpg caption="Voters in Harlem at an election results party."]
Deborah Feyerick
CNN Correspondent

125th in the heart of Harlem. A 50 foot jumbotron has been set up outside the Adam Clayton Powell State Office Building. It's the first time something like this has ever been done here. Everytime numbers come in favoring Obama a cheer goes up from the crowd, "O-BAH-MA."

I sat in Maya Angelou's living room in a restored brownstone several blocks away earlier. She said she felt an eagerness in Harlem she hadn't felt since the 1960's. She said in recent months, you "could't walk the streets without people stopping you and saying isn't it exciting. Spanish people stop other people who don't speak Spanish and say isn't it a good time. Of course it's contagious if you don't have it you'll get it."

Longtime civil rights activist Hazel Dukes working at a poll site earlier in the day said seniors in wheel chairs and walkers stood in line with first time voters. And that kids 6-7-8 years old spoke of pride that their moms were voting for Obama. Dukes who knew Medgar Evers when he was slain while registering voters in Mississippi said this election culminates what she and others have been working towards as civil rights leaders for the last 30 years.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Deborah Feyerick
  1. TITI

YEAH!!!!!! OBAMA!!!! THAT IS HOW GREAT HISTORY IS MADE THANNKS TO EVERY ONE WHO SUPORTTED THE DREAM! MY DEEPEST CONDOLENSES BUT NANNAH OBAMA IS WATCHING OVER US ALL !!! GOD BLESS A NEW AMERICA!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  2. S. Kersey

As a nation made of 11% Americans of African decent speaks loudly of the "lack" of racism by percentage among whites. At 65-70% Caucasian, clearly a lot of white votes contributed to this historical victory.

We have come a long way.

November 4, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  3. Jen

It IS so exciting! I went to bed last night feeling like I was five years old on Christmas eve. Today it looks like we will find such a wonderful gift under our tree. Here in Arizona, it is a little more subdued, but I am so happy to read about Maya and her community. I am so happy for us all that it looks like we have reached this milestone in our society, and that we will have selected an intelligent, strong, and inspiring leader.

November 4, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Miss T

Hi america,
    Obama won O-H-I-O!!!!!!! Toledo is loving it!

Miss. Glass City

November 4, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  5. Jean

If the election results are that we have elected President Obama I am extremely disappointed that intelligent thinking individuals could not see thru just what is in store for this country! Spread the weath? Spread the poverty! As a Texan I say long live the Republic of Texas and thats where we need to focus in our state, succession from the US!

November 4, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  6. Donna

Isn't it time for America to reflect on what it professes to be it's philosophical ideal — that all men are created equal. As Michelle Obama once said, I can state also as an African American female, growing up in Mephis Tenn. in 1968-69, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN MY ADULT LIFETIME THAT I AM PROUD TO BE CALLED AN AMERICAN. I truly understand what true pratiotism really means FOR THE FIRST IN MY LIFE LIFE! You cannot imagine how I am feeling right now. Unbelief and sheer hope all at the same time. It is completely unreal!

November 4, 2008 at 9:26 pm |